Expert Co-writer with How-to Book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I just started another non-fiction (how-to) book (the first one is a memoir) and for each section, I thought about having a counselor or psychologist provide insight at the end of each section. I’m an “expert” on the topic, per se, but I’m not a counselor. However, I thought this would be a good idea.

But the thing is, I don’t want anyone to co-write my book. If so, what kind of payment, if any, would I have to give this individual or is it best to get psychological comments from several individuals? Or is this a bad idea altogether? I think the book can stand on its own without additional comments, but this might make the book stronger, in my opinion.

This occurred to me the other day, but I’m still kicking the idea around, but I’d like your suggestions before I decide.

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
I think you are right, it is a good idea and would make for a stronger book--Jenna Glatzer, has written many books this way, and also Lori Berkencamp (editor/host at Ask the Editor in the Absolute Write forums).

SupaCoopa

Registered
Reaction score
Sophia Rose, I'm so glad you started this thread. I was wondering the same thing myself for a new book I'm starting. I'm not an "expert" on the topic I'm writing a book about but I don't really want to co-write the book with someone. That being said, I do need some street cred if I'm going to sell the book. I'll be checking this thread frequently for updates and information.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Now, I’m thinking if counselor comments would undermine my expertise, though: “How can she call herself an ‘expert’ if she needs an ‘expert’ to make comments.” Know what I mean? What do you think? (Or is this just my suspicious thinking?)

Another thing. This is my book. And honestly, I’m not interested in sharing the limelight with anyone. I write books to help others and I don’t do it for the money. I do it for the glory.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
You could angle it so that other experts are supporting your advice, or, they're providing complementary advice.

Depending on how you sell it, others' comments can either negatively or positively impact your work.

acousticgroupie

Registered
Reaction score
i used "experts" in my book. i had them sign a release. didn't pay them. helped to use profnet.com.

good luck:)

Jennifer L

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlawler.com
It depends on your approach. Some journalists have successfully written (and published) books on topics they cover in their work, and they cite the research, interview the experts, etc. But the journalist writing the book is not the expert and doesn't present herself as such. I did one of my books this way. Malcom Gladwell's The Tipping Point is one such example.

More common, and more easily sold to editors, is a co-author situation where an expert in the subject matter and a writer (who may also know a lot about the subject) team up to write a book. They may share joint credit, or the book may be ghostwritten. I've written six or seven books as a co-author, many of them based on ideas I came up with but knew I did not have appropriate credentials to write and promote. Freakonomics -- don't recall the authors off-hand -- is an example of an expert and a journalist teaming up to write a book.

And of course if you have credentials in the field you're writing about, you can write the book without consulting other experts. I've also written ten or so of my books this way. Life Strategies (Dr. Phil) is an example of an expert writing his own book.

But if you're questioning your credentials in the subject matter to the degree that you're wondering if you need to call in the experts, then you probably need to call in the experts. However, then the book won't be your own.

If you want to self publish, or go with a small publisher or e-publisher, your lack of credentials may not matter that much. But if you want to publish with a midsize or larger publisher, then your credentials (and your platform and your ability to promote) matter very much. So you need to decide what your publishing objective is and what you want for your book. Is it more important that you write the book (even if it never gets published or is published by a small publisher/self published)? Or is it more important that your ideas reach a lot of readers, and if it means teaming up with someone else, you'll do it?

Hope this helps.

Jennifer Lawler

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on each point?

I was thinking along the lines of actual discussion on how to sell / promote your work in terms of your credentials compared to the experts' and the phrasing you might use. For example (please excuse the raw writing in the examples):

Negative:
While I have 10 years' experience in this industry, Experts A, B and C have 20 years' experience and their expertise supports my theory on XYZ.

IOW:
In this case, you would appear unsure of your own credentials and would have inadvertently claimed non-professional status in your field (whether or not you truly are is a moot point). Thus, damaging your reputation / undermining your credentials.

Positive:
Experts A, B and C's comments complement my theory on ABC by illustrating how GHK can combine with J and L to provide a more in-depth understanding of XYZ.

IOW:
You've acknowledged how A, B and C are experts, while also stating you're an expert, too.

Positive reinforcements from both yourself and the experts. Thus, you've added to everyone's credentials and reputations.

I hope I clarified what I was trying to say. If not, nudge me and I'll try again.

Hope this helps.

(^_^)

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Co-author? A rose by any other name ...

I'm so glad someone has raised this topic!

OK, here's my situation: I researched and drafted a book proposal that I felt completely capable of writing myself, sent it out to small and big publishers -- and even a couple of agents -- and got some encouraging noises, but nothing more.

So, I found myself an expert (with a more viable "platform") on the topic via a newsgroup I've been involved with for some time -- and yes, he has expressed interest in "co-authoring" the book (I used this term when contacting him).

Problem is -- and this may sound familiar to many of you -- I don't really want him to AUTHOR the book in any way. I don't want this book to have two voices -- I want it to be in my voice. And I've done so much work already. But I need his credibility.

So, I was thinking about writing everything -- after all, I am a trained writer/journalist -- and just having him examine & provide technical feedback on each chapter. I am certainly willing to give him credit for his contributions, mind you, but is he really a "co-author"?

Is there something else he should/could be called?

Could the byline (or whatever the book-equivalent term is) be:
Me ... with Him?

And if so, what is he considered -- and what sort of compensation arrangement would be reasonable?

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
I've decided not to use another expert. I am it. Goodluck!

And good luck to you, too.
:Sun:

But ... if you were to use "another" expert (in the way I've described) ... what would you call him/her, if not "co-author." I'm still interested in your opinion (and that of others).

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
And good luck to you, too.
:Sun:

But ... if you were to use "another" expert (in the way I've described) ... what would you call him/her, if not "co-author." I'm still interested in your opinion (and that of others).

Well, I would probably say something like, "with additional comments by Mr. Soandso." Something like that.

Jennifer L

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlawler.com
If you simply want someone to verify that your information is correct, then you could call him/her a technical advisor or something similar. A few of my books have had technical editors who have gone over the text to make sure that it is correct and accurate. Sort of like getting a peer review. The publisher arranged and paid for this, though.

But it sounds like you're concerned that your personal credentials and platform are not strong enough for the book you want to write, and in that case an editor may not (probably will not) find a technical advisor/technical editor to be sufficient. They will want an expert co-author to be able to promote the book, to talk to media about the book, etc. -- to be the "face" of the book, so to speak. Credentials and promotion are hugely important in non-fiction publishing, and in the last few years have gotten more important than they were when I first started a bit over ten years ago.

If you have sufficient and appropriate credentials and a broad enough platform to sell the book on your own to a publisher, then I would encourage you to do it without a co-author or technical advisor or what have you, but if you don't, then you will need an expert co-author to improve your chances of selling the book.

In the co-authoring situations I've been involved in, I've been the lead author -- that is, the one who deals with the editor, the one who does the main bulk of the research and writing, and for the most part the one whose voice the book is written in. But the expert has the final say on everything, and his/her name usually goes first on the book. To some degree, this makes such books less "mine" than they otherwise would be, but I am proud of all of them, and I know I could not have sold them without an expert attached to the project. And I like to sell books :)

You don't have to share advance/royalties 50-50 either, if that's a concern. Each of my deals has been negotiated separately, depending on the role the expert will play in the writing of the book.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer Lawler

Talia

Contract Killer
Registered
Reaction score
as jennifer said you could use the expert as the technical adviser and perhaps to write the foreword. however if you need the expert's platform to sell the book then i think it is fair for them to be the coauthor. the reality is that no matter how good the book is you need a platform to sell it!

Status
Not open for further replies.