Oh, man...this one hurt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
On Tuesday, I queried Russ Galen. Wednesday morning, he requested the full MS. Thursday I sent it to him. Today he got back to me. I knew as soon as I saw his email it was going to be a No. I was expecting a form letter, but instead he sent me a nice email telling me what didn't work for him and pointing out a few things that weren't his cup of tea.

Now, he DID say that it was "quite well written," and that certain aspects were "very nicely done." He even went on to say, of the aspects that didn't work for him, that "...there's nothing wrong with that, and some people will love it, but it's not what I love."

While the compliments are nice, it's still a no. Like finding out your friend got you a blind date by saying you "have a great personality." I really wanted to work with Russ, too.

Alas.

On to the next one.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Sounds like you're headed in the right direction, at least. I hope you're querying simultaneously instead of serially. Even the best books need some time to find the right agent. Apologies if I'm misreading your post...

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
The 'not my cup of tea' tells me you just need to find the right agent, David. What type of books does Russ Galen prefer to represent?

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
The 'not my cup of tea' tells me you just need to find the right agent, David. What type of books does Russ Galen prefer to represent?

He's repped Harry Turtledove, James Rollins, Terry Goodkind, Mercedes Lackey, and a buch of others. I had thought my book, which is kind of a paranormal/historical thriller, would be right up his alley. Actually, come to think of it, he called it more of a "fantasy/horror."

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
He's repped Harry Turtledove, James Rollins, Terry Goodkind, Mercedes Lackey, and a buch of others. I had thought my book, which is kind of a paranormal/historical thriller, would be right up his alley. Actually, come to think of it, he called it more of a "fantasy/horror."

You might want to research agents for those genre's and give them a shot, too. You just never know.....

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I have problems putting mine into a genre slot, too. Having an agent suggest the proper one seems like a good piece of information to get back, even on a rejection.

It could be just what you need to find the right one now. Good luck!

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
I have problems putting mine into a genre slot, too. Having an agent suggest the proper one seems like a good piece of information to get back, even on a rejection.

It could be just what you need to find the right one now. Good luck!

That's a pretty good point. And as far as rejections go, this ain't a bad one to get. I'm just temporarily whiny from the "It's good, but not for me" rejection. It'll pass.

Thanks!

KCH

Registered
Reaction score
David,

Condolences. Like previous posters said, as rejections go, this one was pretty good. Galen would not have said those things unless he meant them. (Even when agents do think those things, they often don't say them. Too much bother or they're afraid of engaging in a back-and-forth.) But for now, yeah, I'd be whiny too. Pour yourself a stiff one. Allow yourself tonight to lick your wounds. Then tomorrow, it's on to the next agent.

Good luck!

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
sorry about your "loss." Sounds like a good rejection, though. Some of us never heard back from him ;) ....so chin up! Seems like he's saying you've got something there.

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
That's a really, really good rejection from an excellent agent!

(I don't feel bad for you.)

Well really, I do. But what this rejection tells me is that you are on the right track! Great Job!!

Maprilynne

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I know, it's a good rejection...

...but it's still a rejection (yeah, yeah...insert violin music here), and I was dejected (more violins), but I'm better now (cue the inspirational theme).

Really, it was just a rare moment of self pity. I try not to give those voice too often, but I was pretty bummed. Like I said, I'm better now.

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
Glad you're over it. The best way to deal with rejection is to learn anything you can from it then forget about it. Then start resubmitting.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Sure sorry that happened, David, but at least you got good feedback and that's half the battle. Much good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.