Should I worry?

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
This concerns withdrawing short fiction submissions, after having the story accepted by another magazine. Now, the magazines I submitted to accept simsubs. However, should I be worried about annoying people off by withdrawing too many stories in a short period of time. The issue is, I had a story accepted in early March and withdrew it from a number of magazines. I then sent out the next story to many of the same magazines. Now, flash forward a few weeks, the new story is accepted and I am forced to pull it from several of the SAME slush piles as the first one. Will this piss people off?

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
Wow! That's a great problem to have! I'm not sure that a whole lot of writers have had that problem. I know I haven't.
Congrats! I hope your work keeps selling like hotcakes!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons why it's best to submit one story to one publication at a time.

I'm not sure if editors get "pissed off" when stories are withdrawn; but if you keep doing it with regularity, they'll remember you, and at best, you'll be deemed a writer who submits in scatter-shot fashion. At worst, they may be disinclined to give your work serious consideration for fear you might pull the rug out from under them...again.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Well, whether you piss them off or not by pulling the stories is moot--you have to do it, since the story has been accepted elsewhere.

Georganna Hancock

she's back!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers-edge.info
Think how much worse it would be if you did NOT pull them, and then a second (or more) publication wanted to buy or went ahead and published it ...

If you're submitting to publications that permit simultaneous submissions, and you've told them, then no problem should arise when you need to pull a story from consideration.

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I know I have to pull them and already did, my question was more along the lines of what you answered in your second paragraph (and what Silverking said)

Last edited:

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
It depends. Are we talking major magazines or regional magazines? With regional magazines, the readership doesn't overlap but you should advise them the story will be published in XXX magazine so that they have the option of removing your story from their pile.