Do you like your name?

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
I have a blog on baby names, and I'd like to start a series of 'interview' posts on how well people like their names. I'm hoping this information will be helpful to expectant parents weighing the pros and cons of particular names. The interview questions are below, and I'd love for anyone with an opinion on his/her name to participate.
1. What is your first name? If you go by a nickname most of the time, what is that nickname?

2. Where do you live? (Your country is fine, though your region/state/province would be even better.) If you were born somewhere else, where?

3. How old are you? What year were you born?

4. In one sentence, sum up how you feel about your name. (Ideas: "I'd rank my name a 6 out of 10." "I like my name, but I wouldn't have chosen it myself." "It's awful, so I only go by my middle name." "It's fab, and I can't imagine not having it.")

5. What are the "pros" to having your name? What makes you like it?

6. What are the "cons" to having your name? What makes you dislike it?​

Please answer based on how you currently feel -- though, if your opinion on your name has changed over time, I'd love to hear about that as well. Also, any other information that you'd like to provide (occupation, interests, the names of your kids, etc.) would be great.

You can send me your answers via PM, the feedback form at my site, or by posting to this thread... whatever you prefer.

I'll try to create a post for each person who responds, though I can't make any guarantees. (Who knows -- I might get 88 people named Betty responding to this post. If that happens, I probably won't need any more opinions on the name Betty... :) ) Also, if you'd like me to add a photo (of yourself) or a link (to your site) to the post, please mention it -- I'd be happy to do that.

Last edited:

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
1. What is your first name? Sandra. If you go by a nickname most of the time, what is that nickname? Sandy, Sam, Witch

2. Where do you live? Ontario, Canada, born in Quebec

3. How old are you? 1959

4. In one sentence, sum up how you feel about your name. Meh.

5. What are the "pros" to having your name? What makes you like it? It's easy to pronounce

6. What are the "cons" to having your name? What makes you dislike it? It's boring. Plus, people call me Susan anyway.

Ali B

Just Hanging Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alinabradford.com
1. What is your first name? Alina (Pronounced Uhleenuh) If you go by a nickname most of the time, what is that nickname? Ali ( Sounds like Ally)

2. Where do you live? (Your country is fine, though your region/state/province would be even better.) If you were born somewhere else, where? USA

3. How old are you? 27 What year were you born? 1979

4. In one sentence, sum up how you feel about your name. (Ideas: "I'd rank my name a 6 out of 10." "I like my name, but I wouldn't have chosen it myself." "It's awful, so I only go by my middle name." "It's fab, and I can't imagine not having it.") I love my name.

5. What are the "pros" to having your name? What makes you like it? I just found out there was an Alina tribe in Afganastan hundreds of years ago, so that's cool.

6. What are the "cons" to having your name? What makes you dislike it? It's hard for some people to pronounce and remember.

Last edited:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
1. What is your first name? Jenny If you go by a nickname most of the time, what is that nickname? Jen

2. Where do you live? Oklahoma

3. How old are you? What year were you born? 53, 1953

4. In one sentence, sum up how you feel about your name. I hated my name when I was a kid, but I've grown into it and love it.

5. What are the "pros" to having your name? What makes you like it? It's got family history.

6. What are the "cons" to having your name? What makes you dislike it? Everyone thinks it's short for 'Jennifer' or 'Genvieve' or 'Guenevere'.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
1. What is your first name? If you go by a nickname most of the time, what is that nickname? First name: Colleen. Nickname: Annie.

(Yes, my middle name is Anne. My dad wanted the initials CAM and my mom wanted 'Annie'. That was their compromise.)

It's a little weirder than that, actually; I go by Annie informally or with people I know well and Colleen at work or when I have to sign something.

2. Where do you live? (Your country is fine, though your region/state/province would be even better.) If you were born somewhere else, where?
USA/Midwest for region of origin. In Texas now.

I'm 28.

4. In one sentence, sum up how you feel about your name. (Ideas: "I'd rank my name a 6 out of 10." "I like my name, but I wouldn't have chosen it myself." "It's awful, so I only go by my middle name." "It's fab, and I can't imagine not having it.")
I like it; it suits me.

Both names are relatively uncommon. (I get weirded out being around people with the same name. :)) Both suit my personality, or different aspects of it.

6. What are the "cons" to having your name? What makes you dislike it?Please answer based on how you currently feel -- though, if your opinion on your name has changed over time, I'd love to hear about that as well. Also, any other information that you'd like to provide (occupation, interests, the names of your kids, etc.) would be great.
The first name/middle name thing confuses people. I don't know how I'd change that, though, because I like the initials and how it flows together. So I just confuse people. It makes a long signature. I use initials (C.A. M________ or CAM if I can get away with it), but haven't mastered the incoherent scribble most people use ;).

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
Charles. Terry 51 California for now might ramble on. Army brat born fifty miles north of NYC.

Four generations of Charles but none of us used it.

Terry is an old family name. It's better then Charles but people think its short for Terrence and 'T' seems to be a hard letter for people to distinguish so its always Jerry, Larry & Gary.

Last edited:

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
1. What is your first name? Peggy If you go by a nickname most of the time, what is that nickname? Occasionally Peg.

2. Where do you live? California.

3. What year were you born? 1967

4. In one sentence, sum up how you feel about your name. I like it.

5. What are the "pros" to having your name? What makes you like it? It's nice having an uncommon name. Odds are if I hear someone say "Peggy", they mean me :)

6. What are the "cons" to having your name? What makes you dislike it? I didn't like it that much when I was a kid, partially because it was uncommon, and partially because it's much too easy to change it to "piggy". These days my main complaint is that "helpful" people feel the need to remind me to "use my legal name" when I'm filling out forms, since Peggy is usually a nickname for Margaret.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
1. What is your first name? If you go by a nickname most of the time, what is that nickname? Anne

2. Where do you live? (Your country is fine, though your region/state/province would be even better.) If you were born somewhere else, where? NJ, USA, three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean. I think everyone has that memorized by now.:D

3. How old are you? What year were you born? I forget. Really! One time my mother looked at me askance, but I swear! Time just flies.... Funny thing is, my mother had three different birth years for herself listed at the hospital.

4. In one sentence, sum up how you feel about your name. (Ideas: "I'd rank my name a 6 out of 10." "I like my name, but I wouldn't have chosen it myself." "It's awful, so I only go by my middle name." "It's fab, and I can't imagine not having it.") Not too many people remember it. They'll say "Hi Joe" (my hubby), "Hi Lucy" (my sister), "Hi, um,um...." (to me).

5. What are the "pros" to having your name? What makes you like it? I'm a Catholic, and I was named Anne before I was born. I ended up being born on St.Anne's feast day. When I was four, I thought I WAS St.Anne. I went around blessing everyone.

6. What are the "cons" to having your name? What makes you dislike it? People don't remember it. Or me. <sigh> And I don't like it if they leave the "e" off of it. I am Anne with an "e." My MIL still doesn't realize this.

Reaction score
1. What is your first name? If you go by a nickname most of the time, what is that nickname? Nichola. Most people call me Nicky (without asking).

2. Where do you live? (Your country is fine, though your region/state/province would be even better.) If you were born somewhere else, where? Where I was born - Dundee, Tayside, Scotland

3. How old are you? What year were you born? I was born in 1976 so that makes me 30, but my 31st is coming up at the start of May.

4. In one sentence, sum up how you feel about your name. (Ideas: "I'd rank my name a 6 out of 10." "I like my name, but I wouldn't have chosen it myself." "It's awful, so I only go by my middle name." "It's fab, and I can't imagine not having it.") I think my name sounds a bit common; it was unusual when I was first born, but there are more and more Nickys out there now, plus the fact it's Nicholas without an S on the end reminds me that I 'should have' been a boy.

5. What are the "pros" to having your name? What makes you like it? I mentioned that it feels common now, but I suppose there are no 'bad' nicknames you can get out of it. It's a 'fade into the background' name.

6. What are the "cons" to having your name? What makes you dislike it? Please answer based on how you currently feel -- though, if your opinion on your name has changed over time, I'd love to hear about that as well. Also, any other information that you'd like to provide (occupation, interests, the names of your kids, etc.) would be great. At first I kind of liked my name but over the years I've met and got to know so many other Nicolas (never with the same spelling as me, with the H) that it seems a bit common now. Also, people tend to shorten it to Nicky without asking, which I don't like, as it's a forced intimacy. Personally, I think Nichola is my name, so that's what you should call me. Or 'Nick'. It's a more masculine sounding nickname than the girly 'Nicky', and I am not overtly girly. Plus, Nick reminds me of 'Auld Nick'. ;)
Just to add this on, but the story of how I got my name is a bit weird. The night before she went into labour my mother dreamed of having a blond-haired, blue-eyed boy called Nicholas, a name she had never thought of before. She always said if I'd been a boy she'd planned to called me Robert, after her favourite brother. But out I popped (sun-roof, not car door); a dark haired, dark-eyed girl. A disappointment from the first. So she lopped off the S and called me Nichola. My entire life has been spent saying things like, "There's an H in it." - "N-i-c-o-l-a-h?" - "No." *sigh*

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
1. What is your first name? Belinda. If you go by a nickname most of the time, what is that nickname? Dino.(Don't ask.) But only by close friends.

2. Where do you live? USA(Your country is fine, though your region/state/province would be even better.) If you were born somewhere else, where? Sweden

3. How old are you? What year were you born?1956

4. In one sentence, sum up how you feel about your name. (Ideas: "I'd rank my name a 6 out of 10." "I like my name, but I wouldn't have chosen it myself." "It's awful, so I only go by my middle name." "It's fab, and I can't imagine not having it.")I used to hate my name, it was unusual. Later I learned what it meant, and thought "cool, now I can accept it".

5. What are the "pros" to having your name? What makes you like it?It is still fairly unusual, and people tend to remember it.

6. What are the "cons" to having your name? What makes you dislike it?People always get it wrong and I am being called all sorts of names.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
1. What is your first name?

Stacey

2. Where do you live?

Virginia, USA

38, 1968

4. In one sentence, sum up how you feel about your name.

Anyone lose a cheerleader in here?

Not a huge fan of my name, I was called Tracey most of my childhood or wondered why I wasn't a boy.

6. What are the "cons" to having your name? What makes you dislike it?

I'm a constant disappointment to my name. "Stacey" conjures up the image of smarmy blonde cheerleaders with perky, er, smiles. I'm a short, curvy redhead with a wicked sense of humor and have never been in a human pyramid.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
Thanks so much, everyone! I will get started on the posts and let you know as I publish them (probably one per week).

(Here's the first post, to give you an idea of what I'm doing.)

Last edited:

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
1. What is your first name? If you go by a nickname most of the time, what is that nickname?
My first name is Georgia, but I've always been called by my middle name, Beth. My father's mother lived with me & my parents until her death, and I was named for her, so having two Georgias in the house would have been a little confusing. I also picked up the nickname Maddy about eleven years ago.(I adopted one of my character's names as a chatroom handle and it stuck, then got picked up in the "real" world when everyone at work needed to differentiate me from the "other" Beth in the same area.)

2. Where do you live? (Your country is fine, though your region/state/province would be even better.) If you were born somewhere else, where? I live in SE NY, but my entire family is from Arkansas.

1968 - gonna be the big 39 soon.

I've come to like it over the years.

I've come to like the full version for the same reason I used to hate it - it sounds like it's straight out of Dogpatch, Arkansas.

I never really felt like "Beth" fit me, although people always tell me it's pretty. It also gets butchered a LOT, especially over the phone. I get called Bess, Bessie, Betty, Becky, even Liz/Lizzy because everyone assumes it's short for Elizabeth. (Ironically, it's not Elizabeth because my mother despises the nickname "Liz.")

And yeah, if someone yells "Maddy!" I'll turn around now, too. :)

Reaction score
Do you need photos of the people you interview? I'd be happy to send one if it's necessary.

pamelajo

Registered
Reaction score

My first name is Pamela, middle name is Jo, hence my user ID. Most people call me Pam. My siblings call me Pammy, which I hate.

I live in Colorado and was born in North Dakota.

36, 1970

I like that no one names their kid Pamela anymore.

Well, me and Pamela Anderson have a lot in common, and ever since Borat, there have been many men from Khazikstan who want to make sexy time with me.

It rhymes with ham, it's a nonstick aerosol spray, and I still get called Paula all the time.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
1. What is your first name? If you go by a nickname most of the time, what is that nickname? Marlys.

2. Where do you live? (Your country is fine, though your region/state/province would be even better.) If you were born somewhere else, where? Live: Midwest. Born: Upstate New York.

3. How old are you? What year were you born? 43. 1963.

4. In one sentence, sum up how you feel about your name. (Ideas: "I'd rank my name a 6 out of 10." "I like my name, but I wouldn't have chosen it myself." "It's awful, so I only go by my middle name." "It's fab, and I can't imagine not having it.") Love it.

5. What are the "pros" to having your name? What makes you like it? I like that it's unusual. I think it's pretty. The Lynda Barry cartoon doesn't hurt. :)

6. What are the "cons" to having your name? What makes you dislike it? People who see it don't know how to pronounce it. People who hear it don't know how to spell it. Since my middle name has similar problems, it's just as well that my books are published under "MJ."

Kiester

I love lamp.
Registered
Reaction score

The name is Kieran. I have around 30+ nicknames (I aint kidding. Don't believe me? Visit my MySpace...there's a little drop down with all of my names), but all my mates call me Kiester.

2. Where do you live?

South Yorkshire, England

1990, so that would make me......16!

It is truly awesome :D. I like my name because it's a quite rare name around my area, and I only know one other guy who is called it (my father) and it has an awesome meaning:
Little Dark One.
OOOOOhhhh!

I'm also technically Kieran the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] as well :)

It's unique. Very unique, and has a really cool evil meaning to it, and it's also something to link me back to my heratige :).

There is no cons to my name. I love my name, and my name loves me :D.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
1. What is your first name? Belinda. ...what is that nickname? Dino.(Don't ask.) But only by close friends.
That's so strange, since my first name is Dino, yet no one has ever called me Belinda. I've been called just about everything else, though.

Nickname: Dean

Born and Live: Florida

Hated the name as a kid, and it didn't help growing up in the era of The Flintstones...I don't care about my name one way or the other now.

Pros: I've met only three Dinos in my life, fleetingly, so I don't ever get confused with anyone else. (I was in a bar once with my brother, and we met two other drunk knuckleheads and started talking. When I introduced myself, one of the guys said, "Hey! That's my name, too." He introduced his brother, Marco, and they were stunned to learn that my brother's name is Marco also, and that each of us who shared the same name was born during the same month and year. This was cause for much celebration, and we ordered several more rounds...)

Cons: Who wants to be named Dino?

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Cons: Who wants to be named Dino?
I think Dean Martin's son was Dino. When I was little, I remember a group of "older boys" (thirteen yrs. old) who were sons of celebrities and they formed a rock group. My sister had the poster on her wall. They were "Dino, Desi, and Billy." Dino was Dean Martin's son, Desi was Desi Arnaz' son, and who the heck was Billy, I have no idea. But you see, you share the name of a celebrity's son! (Even though I think he's dead.)

I always look on the bright side of things. It's my calm, sunny personality.
7.gif

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

Kevin

Ontario, Canada

40, 1966

I absolutely cannot stand my name.

Not everybody has it.

I just really don't like the way it sounds. It's a real staccato name.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
1. What is your first name? If you go by a nickname most of the time, what is that nickname? Kieran, everyone here shortens everything so the natural product is 'Kie'

2. Where do you live? Port Talbot, South Wales

3. How old are you? What year were you born? 25, 1981

Hate it.

When I was growing up in England-not Wales-there weren't any other kids with the same name, which made me feel kind of special.

Everyone under 15 is called Kieran nowadays. I hear mums calling their kids and I instantly turn to see who might be calling me. I don't like the way it sounds when I say it myself.

Does that help any?

Kie

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
1. What is your first name? Ana

2. Where do you live? UK -inbetween London and Surrey

3. How old are you? 24/1982

4. In one sentence, sum up how you feel about your name. Reveals an essence of myself as well as is the essence of my physical character

5. What are the "pros" to having your name? Simple

6. What are the "cons" to having your name? Nothing

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I think Dean Martin's son was Dino.
So was his dad, who I was named after. I nearly mentioned it in the earlier post, but I got distracted by the bar story.

The younger Dino Martin flew a jet fighter in the Air National Guard. He died in a plane crash several years before his father passed away.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score

Katherine--I was Katie growing up, I go by Katherine at work, I'm Kat to many of my friends, and my family and some of my friends call me Kate

U.S., currently living in western PA but I want to go back to East Tennessee as soon as I can afford it--I grew up there and lived there most of my life until I moved last year. Born in Atlanta.

born 1969

I love my name, and I also love my middle name Elizabeth.

I like all the nicknames it has. I like that it's a "classic" name as well--it won't ever go out of style or make me seem dated.

Everyone wants to call me Kathy, which is not a name I like.

askeladd

Polyglot
Registered
Reaction score

Janet, no nickname.

2. Where do you live?

Midwest; lived in Illinois all my life.

44 - 1963

It's okay, but I wouldn't have picked it myself.

As a schoolkid, I didn't have to suffer with being the umpteenth "Pam" or "Debbie" in the class - being relatively unique has its benefits.

On the other hand, since it was not a common name (never was, and I don't think it ever will be), I always kind felt like "odd man out." Also, all my siblings had names which could end in "-ie/-y" like Rich/Richie, Ken/Kenny, etc., but my name doesn't lend itself to such a diminuitive. Speaking as an adult, however, I suppose that's a good thing.