PDA

View Full Version : First movie...

maestrowork
03-25-2007, 12:40 AM
... that made you go "WOW!" and really, really fall in love with the big screen?

tourdeforce
03-25-2007, 12:41 AM
STAR WARS

kristie911
03-25-2007, 12:45 AM
There's movies that would make me say, "Wow"?

Who'd have thought...

I don't think I've seen one yet.

maestrowork
03-25-2007, 12:45 AM
JAWS scared the shit out of me.

And I've always loved The Sound of Music for whatever sappy reasons.

But I believe it was watching Dr. Zhivago when I was only 7 or 8 years old that did it. Suddenly I felt like I was transported to a new world -- an adult world, no less -- and I was spellbound. I went through a really intense Dr. Zhivago phase: the music, the movie, the book, Julie Christie...

kristie911
03-25-2007, 12:50 AM
Oh shit...I didn't think about JAWS. Absolutely my favorite movie of all time...but I don't think it made me go 'wow'. More like, 'damn, that was sweet!'

"We're gonna need a bigger boat." Best scene in the movie.

mkcbunny
03-25-2007, 12:57 AM
The first movie I remember was Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at a drive-in with The Three Little Pigs as the lead 'toon. That and The Jungle Book, when I was about three. I was astonished at the huge screens. Especially the drive-in. That definitely had the Wow! factor. I also remember seeing Oliver! and marveling at the spectacle of the whole thing. I would have been about 4, which seems a little young to me. Visions of Bill Sikes haunted me for days.

And 2001: A Space Odyssey. I'm sure I didn't see that when it came out in 1968, because I'd've only been 4. Probably a rerelease when I was a little bit older. I had to have been 9 or 10.

DeborahM
03-25-2007, 12:59 AM
JAWS scared the shit out of me.

And I've always loved The Sound of Music for whatever sappy reasons.

But I believe it was watching Dr. Zhivago when I was only 7 or 8 years old that did it. Suddenly I felt like I was transported to a new world -- an adult world, no less -- and I was spellbound. I went through a really intense Dr. Zhivago phase: the music, the movie, the book, Julie Christie...

I agree. I wowed at The Sound of Music and Dr. Zhivago!

But remember The Exorcist? There was a lot of wow, nauseated stomachs, neck hairs raised, and nightmares for some with that one!

maestrowork
03-25-2007, 12:59 AM
Oh yeah, as a very young kid I was mesmerized by Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty. It was the most beautiful pictures, and the dragon scenes were fantastic. But I was really way too young to understand, until I was much older.

mkcbunny
03-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Oh yeah, as a very young kid I was mesmerized by Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty. It was the most beautiful pictures, and the dragon scenes were fantastic. But I was really way too young to understand, until I was much older.

Me, too. Not sure when I saw that first. Whatever year they recycled it, maybe 1974? Probably earlier. It's still one of my favorites.

billythrilly7th
03-25-2007, 01:30 AM
Rocky

CheshireCat
03-25-2007, 01:34 AM
The Sound of Music was the first to open my eyes to the pleasures of a huge screen and great sound system.

But the WOW! movies were probably the ones anybody else growing up in the 70s would be likely to name.

The Godfather.

Jaws. (I still can't swim in the ocean.)

Star Wars. (Oh ... wow ... that's what a movie can be?)

:popcorn:

benbradley
03-25-2007, 02:20 AM
I was fortunate to see the movie "Airplane!" in a theater. Okay, so it wasn't Star Wars, but follow me on this... it wasn't "The Big Screen" that made it so special, it was the scene when the pilot was running through the terminal, and was PUNCHING OUT every Hare Krishna (who remembers the '70's, when they were in every airport terminal?) that was approaching him with literature or soliciting donations The theater audience STOOD UP AND CHEERED.:hooray::hooray::hooray:

Sage
03-25-2007, 02:41 AM
Beauty & the Beast.

My sister & I saw it five times in the theater & loved it every time.

dpaterso
03-25-2007, 03:05 AM
A special showing of the classic Sci-Fi epic,

FORBIDDEN PLANET

at the Glasgow Film Theatre in... 1979.

WOW! is insufficient.

-Derek

rhymegirl
03-25-2007, 03:10 AM
Oh shit...I didn't think about JAWS. Absolutely my favorite movie of all time...but I don't think it made me go 'wow'. More like, 'damn, that was sweet!'

"We're gonna need a bigger boat." Best scene in the movie.

Oh Kris--tie--

dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun--da da da--- SHARK!

I also love Jaws. When I saw it in the theatre my younger sister was sitting in front of me and the place was pitch black. (it was single seating only because we got there so late) She didn't even know I was right behind her. Apparently, as she tells it, I tapped her on the shoulder at a very scary part of the movie and she jumped a mile!

PeeDee
03-25-2007, 03:23 AM
The first one...?

Fantasia, by Disney. To this day, "Night on Bald Mountain" is one of my favorite pieces of music, and I still adore the image of Czernobog atop the mountain.

swvaughn
03-25-2007, 04:11 AM
Ooh, good question!

The Dark Crystal

Writing Jedi
03-25-2007, 04:11 AM
Oh definitely Star Wars. I was dragged in against my will and within minutes I was blown away and when it ended I left the theatre on a
giddy high that comes back each time I so much as hear that theme music.

Wow indeed.

Chumplet
03-25-2007, 04:24 AM
Star Wars.

But I also loved Raiders of the Lost Ark. The Runnymede Theatre across the street from my sister's apartment showed the movie for about two years straight, and still got customers. We'd often sit around in her apartment and ask, "What should we do tonight? Hey, let's go watch Raiders."

It was a cheap form of entertainment back in the eighties. Sometimes we were the only ones in the theatre.

Once, my sister re-enacted the scene where the guy gets run over by the truck. She flopped sideways in her seat and all the patrons saw was a silhouette of her arms and lets flapping away. Ah, good times.

A very early Big Screen experience was when I was five years old at the drive-in. The Nutty Professor. The scene where he drinks the formula and falls on the floor with all the coloured liquid spilling all around him. Well, it really freaked me out.

I didn't realize until years later what a dark movie that really was. Buddy was a real asshole.

Jcomp
03-25-2007, 05:10 AM
Empire Strikes Back. I didn't see it in the theater, or at least I don't remember it if I did (too young), but I remember loving Star Wars as a series, growing up. We had Empire on VHS and I remember it being the 1st movie that I can remember watching over and over and over again and never getting tired of it.

In fact, I just might watch it again right now...

jvc
03-25-2007, 05:13 AM
Guys, let's keep the language clean, please.

kristie911
03-25-2007, 06:06 AM
I also love Jaws. When I saw it in the theatre my younger sister was sitting in front of me and the place was pitch black.

I was never fortunate enough to see it in the theatre because it came out right around the time I was born.

Doesn't matter...it's still my favorite movie! :)

Pat~
03-25-2007, 06:20 AM
The first movie that ever did that was the first movie I ever saw...Mary Poppins. I was totally wowed. It's still one of my all-time favorite movies.

Mom'sWrite
03-25-2007, 06:25 AM
STAR WARS

To be more specific...the first jump to lightspeed in Star Wars. It threw me back in my seat. I was never the same person after that moment.

Serena Casey
03-25-2007, 06:40 AM
Peter Pan

Shadow_Ferret
03-25-2007, 07:01 AM
Batman: The Movie. With Adam West.

Or maybe Flipper.

Or maybe True Grit.

Or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Or The Love Bug.

I can't recall.

PeeDee
03-25-2007, 08:47 AM
That's because you're old.

dpaterso
03-25-2007, 11:08 AM
With age comes wisdom, Grasshopper, and greater appreciation of hot older women.

-Derek

ChaosTitan
03-25-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm not actually in love with the big screen. I prefer watching movies at home. ;)

Anyway, the first movie I remember being blown away by was "Return of the Jedi." Probably because I was too young to see the first two in the theater. I spent so many hours of my childhood watching our videos of SW, ESB and RotJ. They, more than anything else, influenced my love of film.

MattW
03-26-2007, 02:22 AM
First movie I remember seeing was Empire Strikes Back (at 4 y.o.). First movie I recall being a fan of was Return of the Jedi.

mkcbunny
03-26-2007, 04:49 AM
Or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

I strongly recommend you avoid seeing it again. CCBB was my husband's favorite childhood film. I brought it home on video one Thanksgiving [back when video stores carried VHS only, and they closed on holidays so you had to stock up on a trillion videos the day before]. We watched it, and ... it's too long, it's boring, and all the parts you remember -- "Toot Sweet" ... "Heigh, ho, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, we love you..." -- those are the only good parts.

And they're few and far between.

Don't ruin the memory.

robeiae
03-26-2007, 05:36 AM
Cannonball Run.

Serenity
03-26-2007, 05:37 AM
Poltergeist

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-26-2007, 05:49 AM
When I was in high school... back in the Second Dark Ages in the late '60s, early '70s... 'Gone With the Wind' came back to our small-town theater and I saw it for the first time, on the big screen, just like it was 1939.

WOW.

The scene where Scarlet goes to get Dr. Meade and crosses the train yard...

Then 'Jaws'.

Then, a few years later, it had to be 'Star Wars'. I'll never, ever, never forget that cruiser going over head and moving off toward the horizon.

swvaughn
03-26-2007, 06:53 AM
You see this, Lucas? You gave us all our very first WOW moment and made us fall in love with movies... and then you ruined everything.

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Argh.