PDA

View Full Version : Article about my first book that jumpstarted its sales

underthecity
03-24-2007, 04:22 PM
My first book was published about a year or so before I found AW, and honestly, I wish I had been a member here while I was in the final revisions/rewrites in 2002.

My book was already out for a while when I became a member of AW. And sometime after I joined, I discovered another member here, maestrowork, had bought my book and enjoyed it (without my ever knowing him).

I never was able to share with you guys the article that came out about my book the week it hit the bookstores. A month before release, I contacted a particular columnist at the Cincinnati Enquirer who wrote about local history and told him about the book. Since the topic was of interest to him and much of Cincinnati, he invited me to the newspaper office, interviewed me for an hour and even had my picture taken. I let him read the final proof and gave him a few supporting materials.

The article came out May 24, which you can read here (http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2003/05/24/loc_radel24.html). (The print edition had my picture in it.) The book went for sale in bookstores on Tuesday, May 27. Bookstores were getting calls and orders for the book the day the article was printed. After the book went for sale, it actually sold out in all bookstores around the city and the publisher had to issue an immediate reprint. Since then, the book has been reprinted six times and continues to be a strong seller.

I believe I owe a lot to that columnist who jumpstarted the sales for the book. The article was a nice one, and I could tell he closely read the whole book based on what he wrote. No publicity I could have generated myself would have had the same results. If only I could have gotten that lucky for my follow-up titles.

So, had I been a member of AW in 2003, I would have shared the article with you, but figured four years later might still be okay.

I leaned a lot about writing and publishing since then, and am now revising my first novel. Writing fiction is a lot different than nonfiction, but I have stories to share, and am leaving local history behind me.

It was fun, though.

allen

Lavinia
03-24-2007, 09:29 PM
That's great. We hear do much about how to promote your book and it looks like from your experience, the good old newspaper is a very good avenue. Congrats on the book and the article!

Oh and how can you possibly get history out of your blood? It seems like something you *catch* and can't get rid of, like a bad (or good maybe) cold.

Lavinia

Susie
03-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Congrats & way2go, underthecity. Hope it's a bestseller!

Saundra Julian
03-25-2007, 07:01 PM
That's a wonderful story, Allen. Thanks for sharing!

Arisa81
03-26-2007, 12:39 AM
Congrats ! :) :)

Lavinia
03-28-2007, 02:26 AM
"We hear do much...?" Who wrote that? What I meant was we hear a lot... I must have been tired...really...really tired!

Lavinia

underthecity
03-30-2007, 01:13 PM
I appreciate the comments! The linked article did indeed propel sales, so Lavinia, when your book comes out, hopefully you can get similar press. You should, especially if there's a large local tie.

allen

triceretops
03-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Way to go, my friend. You have really busted keester and you deserve all of it.

Tri

Sohia Rose
03-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Wow! That's great, very inspiring.