Workshops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
In this week's AbsoluteWrite Newsletter, Mac's Letter From the Editor talks about Viable Paradise. It makes me curious. Who has attended a writing workshop? Which one? What were your experiences like?

If you haven't attended a workshop, do you want to? Which one? Why?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Highlights has some great workshops, but they're just waaaay to expensive for me.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I've been to a number of them with my local regional writing organization (taught one, too). When I've attended, it usually because I need to either show up to something and be seen or need to see one of the board members of the organization. The writing organization is focused on freelancers, and many of their workshops are non-fiction oriented. I write novels.

Topics? Let's see. One was on queries for magazines. Though that was non-fiction oriented, I actually did get something out of it that I was apply to submitting queries for novels. The others I attended were interesting, but I didn't take anything away. A member of our group attended an all day workshop the organization sponsored. It was on getting fiction published. The writer actually came back very discouraged--evidently, much of the workshop was focused on simply how hard it was to get published and not as much on things that could be done on improving the odds. Some of the information he relayed back was also outdated. When he'd gone, I think his expectations had been quite a bit different than what he got.

So, don't expect magic to happen, but certainly go if you think you might get anything out of it.

slsherwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lindasherwood.com
Great for networking, motivation

I've attended a few writer workshops, most were day long things not far from home. They always made me feel rejuvinated and excited, which is such a plus.

Several years ago I attended the Erma Bombeck writing conference back when it was just $75 and loved it. Most of what I heard there I already knew, but it's nice to have it confirmed. I also learned things and met people I admired. The best part was I was able to meet up with a lot of my online writing friends. I was even recognized by a random person from my web site, which totally blew me away.

I recently applied to attend a four week writing workshop this summer, part of the Crossroads Writing Project. This will be something totally new for me. I hope to hear about my application soon.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Slsherwood, the rejuvenated and receiving reminders of things already known is interesting. That's exactly why businesses often send executives and managers to workshops and seminars. It's not just about learning new things, but receiving refreshers or refocusing on things already known. It's easy to get bogged down in the day-to-day details and lose sight of the bigger picture.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
How does everyone think conferences compare to workshops? If you had to choose between attending a conference and a workshop, which would you do?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Can you define the differences between conference (seminars/workshops) and regular workshops such as those offered at Viable Paradise?

Last edited:

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
A workshop is something like Viable Paradise, where the focus is on working on your craft in a group setting. A conference is something like ARCHON, where the focus is on individuals from all aspects of the craft coming together in a community setting and where they may or may not be panels and seminars/workshops available to discuss the craft.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
The only one I'd really want to attend is Clarion. It's aimed at upcoming semi-pros, you apprently learn stuff beyond "how to punctuate" & "writing a query letter," & the connections often lead to book contracts. Not cheap, though -- but now it's at the beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.