Are there any agents that do not require synopsis?

write2livelive2write

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any agents that do not require a synopsis? I find it more difficult to write a synopsis than write a novel! :rant:

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
If you have an agent, you can call him(her) and talk about a new book idea. If you don't already have an agent, how else would you communicate your book idea?

If you had some way to meet an agent socially and get into conversation, that might do the trick. But meeting via email or postal mail, I see no option but to write a description of your book.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I hate to break the news to you but now that I have an agent and my book has sold and I have an editor -- I have had to write MORE synopses and 250 word hooks now than when I was querying!
It is something you HAVE to do and yes it is hard. The more you know what your book is about the easier it is but even so it is a BITCH!!!
You will never escape this.

Jennifer L

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlawler.com
I hate writing synopses, too, and I used to do them very badly, which didn't help matters, either. Then a friend of mine pointed out that I was getting too bogged down with the play-by-play and that's not what agents/editors are looking for anyway, especially in an initial contact/pitch.

The key points the editors look for are character set-up, emotional (or dramatic) turning points, and resolution. If you just focus on getting across those 3 elements of the story, you're set. The blow-by-blow description isn't necessary.

Once I understood that, I could write a synopsis quickly and basically off the top of my head (without having to go back and wade through the manuscript page by page).

Now, this only holds true for a brief synopsis -- a lengthier one by its very nature is going to require more play-by-play -- but now I don't dread writing synopses and the ones I write are a lot livelier to read. Think more "back of book blurb" and less "roman numeral outline of plot".

Hope this helps,
Jennifer

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
Amen, Orion! I've had to write more synopses since becoming published than I ever did before. In order to sell on partial, editors generally want three chapters and a synopsis. With every editor I've worked with, that's not open for discussion. What's worse, they sometimes send the synopsis back to me to be reworked -- usually to add more depth, more layers, intrigue, what have you.

Synopsis writing is a necessary skill for success in a commercial publishing career. Hate 'em, loathe 'em, bitch endlessly to you agent about 'em . . . but do them.

Scott

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I hate to break the news to you but now that I have an agent and my book has sold and I have an editor -- I have had to write MORE synopses and 250 word hooks now than when I was querying!
It is something you HAVE to do and yes it is hard. The more you know what your book is about the easier it is but even so it is a BITCH!!!
You will never escape this.

No truer words have ever been said. I had two books go at once and had to come up with several 250 and 50 word hook synopsis, sample blurbs, press kit intros, and all manner of god's other creation stuff.

Practice, practice, practice until you have a 1-2 page general summary of your book. Read dozens of examples, ask for advice, put your efforts up on the SYW thread and prepare to knuckle down.

Tri

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with Jennifer, you have to concentrate on the main points and not on the blow-by-blow action. Basically, an agent or editor would be looking for a good story arc, where the conclusion is logical, be it a happy ending or not.