What not to do when contemplating murder

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Should be fine as long as you crime writers don't go killing everyone in sight. As for the rest of us... there's always the library ;)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, just typing those words into Google and hitting search adds this line to your URL history:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=how+to+commit+murder&btnG=Search
Of course, I only did that to see what the URL would be, I didn't look at the results.

Well, okay, I saw Slashdot out of the corner of my eye, so I had to go to this link, different article on the same story:
http://slashdot.org/articles/07/03/15/1452214.shtml
OP's PC Advisor article says Google will eventually make searches anonymous, but that just the records that Google saves (yes, it appears Google saves EVERY SEARCH string entered, along with its IP address). This will not erase or affect the URL history on your own computer.

I've often wondered who might be looking at what Wikipedia articles I'm reading, as well as Google and other search engine searches, and messages posted here. Probably nobody, I'm surely not that special, but it's sure reassuring to know that most everything I do on the Net is being saved somewhere else (not just on MY computer) so that it can all be reviewed later, should I be a suspect in some horrible crims. Actually, it's possible that I could become a suspect because my search history might match a profile of the type of person the authorities are looking for, and they did a big net.search for such people. Well at least I haven't put in my race anywhere that I can recall, so they can't be accused of racial profiling, and so this must all be Perfectly Legal...

All these wonderful thoughts remind me of Stuart Smalley. Yeah, right...

Should be fine as long as you crime writers don't go killing everyone in sight. As for the rest of us... there's always the library ;)
Most libraries require a library card for access, and keep track of who uses what machine. Be sure to make up a random name and address when you get your card.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I generally just kill random people so it's harder to trace them back to me...and I certainly never Google ways to kill them. I prefer to come up with my own forms of torture.

:)

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I was watching a movie a few months ago, based on a terrorist plot, having to do with 9/11. And in the movie, the terrorist spoke of a “terrorist bible.” I was curious as to what the book said and I wanted to do a Google search to see what was in it. Then I thought about getting flagged by the FBI or something, so I left it alone. I guess I was right!

Reaction score
I just googled anal bleaching, terrorism and Bush is a tool.

Am I in trouble?

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I was watching a movie a few months ago, based on a terrorist plot, having to do with 9/11. And in the movie, the terrorist spoke of a “terrorist bible.” I was curious as to what the book said and I wanted to do a Google search to see what was in it. Then I thought about getting flagged by the FBI or something, so I left it alone. I guess I was right!
A friend of mine got SLAMMED for looking up the Anarchist's Cookbook. SLAMMED. Luckily, he was only 14 at the time, so he wasn't punished too hard. Then, the next year, the FBI got on his butt for download Metallica CDs. I didn't believe him until he got some of the CDs back this year, in a nifty little FBI Evidence baggie. We stapled it to the ceiling, next to the stapled orange street cones, for all to see.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Most libraries require a library card for access, and keep track of who uses what machine. Be sure to make up a random name and address when you get your card.

At mine you just walk in the door and sit at a machine. If people are waiting for a computer, the librarian will make you sign in for an hour, then leave, but I just signed my name. Didn't even have to flash my card. Unless this has changed in the last year.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine got SLAMMED for looking up the Anarchist's Cookbook. SLAMMED. Luckily, he was only 14 at the time, so he wasn't punished too hard. Then, the next year, the FBI got on his butt for download Metallica CDs. I didn't believe him until he got some of the CDs back this year, in a nifty little FBI Evidence baggie. We stapled it to the ceiling, next to the stapled orange street cones, for all to see.

See! Then my hubby says, "No they won't. Nothin's gonna happen. It's no big deal." Right. Okay, so now I'm getting really paranoid. :(

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
See! Then my hubby says, "No they won't. Nothin's gonna happen. It's no big deal." Right. Okay, so now I'm getting really paranoid. :(
If I have to look up anything slightly touchy, I do it at the library computer, where they think my name is Chris Smith. Need abomb? Chris Smith. Need to know how monkeys kill themselves? Chris Smith. Need to find untraceable poisons? Chris Smith. ;)

Oh course, I know how to make most of that stuff with household products! Get a steel tube, a glass tube, vinegar, and baking soda, and-

. . . .

And bake a cake. Or something.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com

My brother and I both like books that are controversial in nature. In early 2002, we realized that BOTH of us had been ordering books through Amazon, and having them shipped to our parents' house, where we both lived at the time.

On the list (ordered over the course of about 2 months):
A general manual for Kalishnikov weapons (I had an SKS and wanted a manual for it)
A history of Kalishnikov weapons
Several books on torture and execution
The Anarchist's Cookbook
The Communist Manifesto
Mein Kampf
Catcher In The Rye
The Satanic Bible
The Qu'ran

Among many, many others.

Yeah, we were anticipating, at the very least, a very concerned phone call. LOL (Nothing ever happened)

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
My brother and I both like books that are controversial in nature. In early 2002, we realized that BOTH of us had been ordering books through Amazon, and having them shipped to our parents' house, where we both lived at the time.

On the list (ordered over the course of about 2 months):
A general manual for Kalishnikov weapons (I had an SKS and wanted a manual for it)
A history of Kalishnikov weapons
Several books on torture and execution
The Anarchist's Cookbook
The Communist Manifesto
Mein Kampf
Catcher In The Rye
The Satanic Bible
The Qu'ran

Among many, many others.

Yeah, we were anticipating, at the very least, a very concerned phone call. LOL (Nothing ever happened)
If you were ordering, "How to make a bomb with pencil lead", then you'd probably get a call.

I'm surprised that the Anarchist's Cookbook got the Feds' panties in a knot. That book is at my library! Along with an entire book on how to make acid in your freezer (yup, it's possible, apparently. Less chemicals, better quality or something) , how to prevent your fingerprints from "carmelizing" when burning a building (and how to make it look like an electrical thing), and what poisons are most effective and least suspected, the best choice starting on page 1.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
If you were ordering, "How to make a bomb with pencil lead", then you'd probably get a call.

I'm surprised that the Anarchist's Cookbook got the Feds' panties in a knot. That book is at my library! Along with an entire book on how to make acid in your freezer (yup, it's possible, apparently. Less chemicals, better quality or something) , how to prevent your fingerprints from "carmelizing" when burning a building (and how to make it look like an electrical thing), and what poisons are most effective and least suspected, the best choice starting on page 1.

It was mostly the combination of..um...odd books that made us wonder. LOL (Not seriously -- we had a running bet going about if/when the feds would call, but we weren't actually worried about it) I just think it's dumb...and quite frankly, if the feds really did go after everyone that bought any controversial or questionable book, half the writers in the US would be interrogated for the stuff we buy for "research". LOL My home library has been the subject of many odd conversations in my house, and I know it's made several people rather uncomfortable (of course, when I lived at home, I'd keep "How to Write a Dirty Story", "Writing Erotica", and "THe Joy of Writing Sex" right at eye level so when my dad walked into my bedroom, he'd turn around and walk right back out LOL). One guy flipped out when he saw that I had The Bible, The Qu'ran, the Book of Mormon, and the Satanic Bible on the same shelf. It actually got so heated that I ended up throwing him out of my house.

Oh, and here's an odd one: I ordered "Mein Kampf" three times from Amazon. In spite of showing in stock, it kept mysteriously getting backordered and then cancelled. I finally said "to hell with it" and bought it from a secondhand store.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Is Mein Kampf any good? A friend of mine has it, and I've been contemplating whether ot not I should steal it from him for a bit.

If the pigs were monitoring us that closely, I'm sure I'd be in jail by now. I have so many odd, unorthodox books on my shelves that I'm surprised they HAVEN'T come for me yet. Matter of time, I guess.

"I use it for research."

"Uh huh. Get in the cruiser."

"No, really, I'm a writer!"

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Is Mein Kampf any good? A friend of mine has it, and I've been contemplating whether ot not I should steal it from him for a bit.

It's interesting. I don't recommend it for bedtime reading, 'cause it gets kinda creepy in a "OMG this guy really thought this way" kind of way. I've read it twice. Did a book report on it in college. I actually got a "C" for no other reason than I started a paragraph with "However, Hitler does raise a valid point..." (it was some obscure idea in the book that actually made sense, hell if I can remember it now)...my teacher freaked that anyone could possibly agree with anything that came out of Hitler's mouth.

If the pigs were monitoring us that closely, I'm sure I'd be in jail by now. I have so many odd, unorthodox books on my shelves that I'm surprised they HAVEN'T come for me yet. Matter of time, I guess.

"I use it for research."

"Uh huh. Get in the cruiser."

"No, really, I'm a writer!"

The way I see it, it's freedom of speech/press. If someone's allowed to write it, I'm allow to read it. I DARE them -- triple dog dare them -- to arrest me for reading a published book. You hear that, Feds?? I know you're reading this. TRIPLE DOG DARE...c'mon, chickens...

Gotta keep this short, someone's at the door.

Reaction score
Controversial point coming up...

I don't believe anyone is completely evil, as per Lori's point that "Hitler did raise a valid point when..."

There's usually someone they love. Or someTHING. To say any one man is 100% evil suggests they're one-dimensional. Sub-human. Serial killers usually have a beloved pet cat or look after an old person (before killing them maybe). Why, even Ted Bundy worked on a telephone helpline.

And Hitler was no one-dimensional caricature. That's the scary thing. He was human.

I think it was Dean Koontz (he of the evil hairweave) who said "Evil wears a mask which looks like all our faces."

Hitler was no cartoon character.

Last edited:

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's interesting. I don't recommend it for bedtime reading, 'cause it gets kinda creepy in a "OMG this guy really thought this way" kind of way. I've read it twice. Did a book report on it in college. I actually got a "C" for no other reason than I started a paragraph with "However, Hitler does raise a valid point..." (it was some obscure idea in the book that actually made sense, hell if I can remember it now)...my teacher freaked that anyone could possibly agree with anything that came out of Hitler's mouth.

The way I see it, it's freedom of speech/press. If someone's allowed to write it, I'm allow to read it. I DARE them -- triple dog dare them -- to arrest me for reading a published book. You hear that, Feds?? I know you're reading this. TRIPLE DOG DARE...c'mon, chickens...

Gotta keep this short, someone's at the door.
I hate teachers who grade based on their opinions and not quality. I wrote an essay-terrfici essay, really- about why murder can be justified. Failed that one miserably and the school recommended counseling. I told them to ram it up their can and go give the kid who wrote about the Happy fucking Cupcake an A, which she didn't deserve, since her IQ was about 40 points below mine and her writing skill was nonexistant.

And people wondered why I chose to homeschool....*sigh* Something about authority, in any form, really chaps my ass. Except for Mac. :D

I agree about the freedom of the press. If someone was able to publish it and make money off of it, we should be able to read it ad our leisure- no matter what the content. Government shouldn't be able to step in on someone's job, and someone else's reading time.

Reaction score
Rumour has it he was deficient in the bollock department, hence his anger-management issues.

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
If you want a really good laugh, type something truely outrageous into the Google search window, and then look at the ads on the right-hand side of the screen. Thay have the lowest prices on it! Guaranteed!!

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Controversial point coming up...

I don't believe anyone is completely evil, as per Lori's point that "Hitler did raise a valid point when..."

There's usually someone they love. Or someTHING. To say any one man is 100% evil suggests they're one-dimensional. Sub-human. Serial killers usually have a beloved pet cat or look after an old person (before killing them maybe). Why, even Ted Bundy worked on a telephone helpline.

And Hitler was no one-dimensional caricature. That's the scary thing. He was human.

I think it was Dean Koontz (he of the evil hairweave) who said "Evil wears a mask which looks like all our faces."

Hitler was no cartoon character.

Exactly. And that was the point I was trying to make to said teacher of Sociology, but she freaked out and went all PC on me, to the detriment of my grade. Still got an "A" in the class, but she just couldn't give me any better than a "C" in spite of "EXCELLENT!" smeared all over the paper. It was just that ONE paragraph she couldn't deal with.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I hate teachers who grade based on their opinions and not quality. I wrote an essay-terrfici essay, really- about why murder can be justified. Failed that one miserably and the school recommended counseling. I told them to ram it up their can and go give the kid who wrote about the Happy fucking Cupcake an A, which she didn't deserve, since her IQ was about 40 points below mine and her writing skill was nonexistant.

And people wondered why I chose to homeschool....*sigh* Something about authority, in any form, really chaps my ass. Except for Mac. :D

Amen to that. I did stuff like that all the time. :D