PDA

View Full Version : Mark Wahlberg "Shooter" (Rolls Eyes)

RumpleTumbler
03-23-2007, 04:48 PM
What is Hollywood's and I'm guessing America's fascination with pansies playing these kinds of rolls? My 12 year old daughter could kick Mark Wahlbergs ass. Tell me please who can believe in the Mark Wahlbergs, Tom Cruises, Pierce Brosnans, Brad Pitts, and the list goes on and on. I don't want to see a movie where someone is in this kind of roll whose ass I can kick much less a 12 year old girl.

robeiae
03-23-2007, 04:52 PM
I enjoy Wahlberg's performances a great deal. Loved his character in The Departed.

I'll agree with your assessment on the others, however. Pitt as Achilles? Puh-leeze.

RumpleTumbler
03-23-2007, 04:55 PM
I enjoy Wahlberg's performances a great deal. Loved his character in The Departed.

I've not seen The Departed. I canceled my NetFlix subscription to free up time to write. I've no idea if the guy can act or not, it's his demeanor that is bothersome. Maybe it was just the show I saw him on (some awards show). He acted fairly effeminately and looked like he weighed about 90 lbs.

dpaterso
03-23-2007, 05:01 PM
"pansies"? :ROFL:

It's either the Mark Wahlbergs and Tom Cruises, or it's the Vin Diesels and Dwayne Johnsons. Take yer pick. Me, I'm happy with Dirk Diggler, he's proved he can act, and act tough when needed.

Achilles would'a made you weeds his bitches.

-Derek

RumpleTumbler
03-23-2007, 05:09 PM
"or it's the Vin Diesels and Dwayne Johnsons. Take yer pick.

Yeah, that's the other extreme. I don't want them playing the role either. You should be able to speak English if starring in a movie to be shown in America and that rules them out.

robeiae
03-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Achilles would'a made you weeds his bitches.
The "maniac leap and lightning stab to the neck" has got to be the all-time weeniest attempt at creating a "cool killing move" that has ever been put on film. I laughed so hard when I saw it, I fell out of my seat. I know that's not really Brad's fault, but still...

RumpleTumbler
03-23-2007, 05:22 PM
The "maniac leap and lightning stab to the neck" has got to be the all-time weeniest attempt at creating a "cool killing move" that has ever been put on film. I laughed so hard when I saw it, I fell out of my seat. I know that's not really Brad's fault, but still...

I don't think anyone is short enough that Brad could stab standing flat footed.

aadams73
03-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Mark Wahlberg will always be Marky Mark to me. As much as I like a lot of his movies, I still see him leaping around in his underwear, third nipple on display, and rapping about some rubbish or another.

But he was totally fab in The Departed.

Bmwhtly
03-23-2007, 05:35 PM
I've got a lot of time for Mark Wahlberg, he's done some really good stuff (see The Departed. Four Brothers. Three Kings)

But this does look like a load of Mince, generic Hollywood crappity crap.

Shadow_Ferret
03-23-2007, 05:53 PM
... pansies ... Mark Wahlbergs, Tom Cruises, Pierce Brosnans, Brad Pitts, and the list goes on and on. .

All actors that I'm guessing could mop up the floor with you, you computer support geek.

:D

C.bronco
03-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Yeah, that's the other extreme. I don't want them playing the role either. You should be able to speak English if starring in a movie to be shown in America and that rules them out.
Oh, be fair. I don't know who Dwayne Johnson is, but I've seen an interview with Vin Diesel, and he's an articulate and smart fellow.

I think Wahlberg could do well in a variety of roles. He seems to know what he's doing.

robeiae
03-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Dwayne Johnson, aka "The Rock."

To be fair, he's not a dummy, at all. Of course no one can compare to the genius that is Tom Cruise, but that just goes without saying...

RumpleTumbler
03-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Oh, be fair. I don't know who Dwayne Johnson is, but I've seen an interview with Vin Diesel, and he's an articulate and smart fellow.

I think Wahlberg could do well in a variety of roles. He seems to know what he's doing.

You mean like this one? http://youtube.com/watch?v=oppHK5a-Rlw

boogity boogity boogity

C.bronco
03-23-2007, 06:01 PM
No, it was an older interview. (Maybe he had too much coffee that day. I think that interviewer needs a new day job.)I didn't see that movie yet either, but the trailer looked funny.
(Oh, The Rock, gotcha).

Tom Cruise, that's a whole other story. I think he has an exceedingly average intellect and no clue whatsoever how to use it. When election for The Chosen One comes up, I'll vote for KTC hands down.

RumpleTumbler
03-23-2007, 06:02 PM
Dwayne Johnson, aka "The Rock."

To be fair, he's not a dummy, at all. Of course no one can compare to the genius that is Tom Cruise, but that just goes without saying...

I don't know who Dwayne is either. That he allows himself to be called "The Rock" speaks volumes though. I'm so snobby aren't I?

Tom is without a doubt one of the dumbest people on the globe. When he holds the cans at his Scientology meetings they must send some juice through them.

Why can't actors just entertain and then stfu?

Shadow_Ferret
03-23-2007, 06:15 PM
I don't know who Dwayne is either. That he allows himself to be called "The Rock" speaks volumes though. I'm so snobby aren't I?

Yeah. Snobby.

Dwayne Johnson was a former wrestler in the WWE until he went into the movies. He's done "Scorpion King," "Run Down," a remake of "Walking Tall," and "Doom" among others. And it looks like he's going to be Agent 23 in the 2008 release of "Get Smart." (Oh, gawd! Steve Carell is going to be Maxwell Smart! Can't they just leave my childhood alone?)

C.bronco
03-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Who's going to be 99?!

Shadow_Ferret
03-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Who's going to be 99?!Someone named Anne Hathaway.

Cav Guy
03-23-2007, 06:18 PM
What is Hollywood's and I'm guessing America's fascination with pansies playing these kinds of rolls? My 12 year old daughter could kick Mark Wahlbergs ass. Tell me please who can believe in the Mark Wahlbergs, Tom Cruises, Pierce Brosnans, Brad Pitts, and the list goes on and on. I don't want to see a movie where someone is in this kind of roll whose ass I can kick much less a 12 year old girl.
Have you read the book "Shooter"'s based on? If you had, you'd see that Wahlberg is actually a pretty good fit for the role. Not as old as Swagger's supposed to be, but still a pretty good fit, IMO.

RumpleTumbler
03-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Someone named Anne Hathaway.

She's nice looking but better quit playing goofy roles. Barbara Feldon was sexuhhh.

C.bronco
03-23-2007, 06:22 PM
:e2fight: I didn't see that remake of Walking Tall. The original was just way too good to be toyed with. (Yay Joe Don Baker!)

RumpleTumbler
03-23-2007, 06:24 PM
:e2fight: I didn't see that remake of Walking Tall. The original was just way too good to be toyed with. (Yay Joe Don Baker!)

*Redneck Voice* You got that right!

Shadow_Ferret
03-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Well, it wasn't the original story. This was the story of a soldier returning home to find his town overrun by crime and corruption. It was remake in name only. Typical Rock action fare.

dpaterso
03-23-2007, 06:27 PM
No, I liked it. It showed from the get-go that Achilles possessed superhuman attributes without needlessly getting mired in the legend (son of a sea goddess, etc.*). Achilles' fearless charge culminating in the single surgical artery-slashing downward stroke that laid out the giant Boagrius was more effective than anything I'd seen before. I don't understand your reaction but that's OK, we're all different.

* In a previous TROY discussion someone mentioned that another audience member's girlfriend leaned closed and asked how come getting hit by an arrow in the heel had such an effect on Achilles, which is the downside to not repeating the legend. :)

-Derek

C.bronco
03-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Hmph. If they're just stealing the premise, why call it a remake? They should have given it a different title.

MidnightMuse
03-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Who is Steve Carell ? Are they going to ruin yet another old classic?

Now they're bringing the Green Lantern back, too.

trumancoyote
03-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Uh, I don't think a man wielding an eleven-inch, albeit prosthetic, penis can ever be called a pansy.

I'm just sayin'. Bigger'n my prosthetic cap'n, that's for sure.

Shadow_Ferret
03-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Who is Steve Carell ? Are they going to ruin yet another old classic?

Now they're bringing the Green Lantern back, too.
Steve Carell is that awful guy from The 40-Year-Old Virgin. Yes, they are going to ruin another old classic.

MidnightMuse
03-23-2007, 07:08 PM
:rant:

maestrowork
03-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Wahlberg is very good in the Departed. He was also very good in Invincible. Haven't seen the Shooter yet so I can't tell. But judging from the preview, it seems like a rather lame Hollywood thriller.

ChaosTitan
03-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Steve Carell is that awful guy from The 40-Year-Old Virgin. Yes, they are going to ruin another old classic.

Steve Carrell is quite a good actor. He gets great reviews for his role in "The Office," and he was terrific in "Little Miss Sunshine." Hollywood is determined to make the movie, and I'd rather have SC playing Maxwell than...say, Adam Sandler.

But Anne Hathaway as 99? Blah.

Why can't actors just entertain and then stfu?

I'm sure some people think the same thing about authors. "Why can't authors just write their novels and then stfu." ;)

It's been remade twice, actually. I was shocked to find another remake on the shelves at Blockbuster, direct to DVD release last year. Starring Kevin "Hercules" Sorbo. :crazy:

DeadlyAccurate
03-23-2007, 07:54 PM
I don't think anyone is short enough that Brad could stab standing flat footed.

?? According to IMDB, he's 5' 11". Not exactly Vince Vaughn, but not Tom Cruise, either. I always thought the killing stroke move he did in Troy was based on some artwork of the past (on a vase or something). Maybe not, though, because I can't find anything online.

maestrowork
03-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Brad Pitt was completely miscast in Troy. Eric Bana, however, was fantastic.

I still hate that movie. What a waste of time, especially with that weakling Orlando Bloom.

trumancoyote
03-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Pft. None of you could ever be homosexuals.

There's just something about Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom dueling around in Roman armor that just... that just....

God, I'll be back in 2.5 minutes.

RumpleTumbler
03-23-2007, 08:01 PM
?? According to IMDB, he's 5' 11". Not exactly Vince Vaughn, but not Tom Cruise, either. I always thought the killing stroke move he did in Troy was based on some artwork of the past (on a vase or something). Maybe not, though, because I can't find anything online.

I didn't mean he was short like most of the others, but he is teeny tiny. This thread is confirming what I already suspected but was hoping wasn't true.

More and more Americans like a man that looks and acts like a woman. Effeminate and yet in possession of male genitals. I'm sorry, but it is just weird to me. I'll check out The Departed. Maybe then I will convert. Perhaps start wearing ribbons in my hair. :e2cloud9:

maestrowork
03-23-2007, 08:07 PM
You know who can never be an action hero? Ben Stiller. He's like 5'4" and really tiny in person. I saw him in West Hollywood once -- I am not a big guy, but he's smaller than I am. Freaky.

RumpleTumbler
03-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Maybe it's always been this way and I just never realized it. EEEEEEEEK!

trumancoyote
03-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Listen, people. I'm trying very hard to interrupt this thread. If you'll acknowledge that it's been interrupted in an even slightly amusing manner, I'll be on my merry way.

Sheesh.

RumpleTumbler
03-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Listen, people. I'm trying very hard to interrupt this thread. If you'll acknowledge that it's been interrupted in an even slightly amusing manner, I'll be on my merry way.

Sheesh.

Ok, tell us about the penis.

trumancoyote
03-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Heheh. No need. My presence has been acknowledged.

Talk away, gentlemen. A-hem.

I'm outta' here :)

Shadow_Ferret
03-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Steve Carrell is quite a good actor. He gets great reviews for his role in "The Office," and he was terrific in "Little Miss Sunshine." Hollywood is determined to make the movie, and I'd rather have SC playing Maxwell than...say, Adam Sandler.

I can't stand The Office either. And Carrell or Sandler? Those are my only two choices? Don't even bother making the movie then.

MidnightMuse
03-23-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm with the Ferret.

C.bronco
03-23-2007, 08:58 PM
It's been remade twice, actually. I was shocked to find another remake on the shelves at Blockbuster, direct to DVD release last year. Starring Kevin "Hercules" Sorbo. :crazy:
No. Way. That's just crazy talk!!!!

robeiae
03-23-2007, 09:06 PM
I can't stand The Office either. And Carrell or Sandler? Those are my only two choices? Don't even bother making the movie then.
Russell Crowe?

jvc
03-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Brad Pitt was completely miscast in Troy. Eric Bana, however, was fantastic.

I still hate that movie. What a waste of time, especially with that weakling Orlando Bloom.

I have to disagree with Ray, I like the movie and thought Brad Pitt was ok (not great mind you but ok). I think they cast Orlando Bloom very well, as a bit part character who was a weekling cry baby and who wouldnt take away from the on-screen presense of anyone else in the movie. And then they went and made him the big lead in Kingdom of Heaven :Shrug: .

dpaterso
03-23-2007, 09:28 PM
TROY is among my top 10 films (mostly because of Brad Pitt's outstanding performance) and is likely to stay there into the foreseeable future. Sure, some parts of it could have been done better, I'm not claiming it's perfect. But it's a damn watchable film.

I could understand if people chucked tomatoes at TRISTAN + ISOLDE which failed on all levels, but not TROY.

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN -- eh, not bad, some good performances, and everybody tried their best, that's all I ask.

-Derek

RumpleTumbler
03-23-2007, 09:40 PM
TROY is among my top 10 films (mostly because of Brad Pitt's outstanding performance)

Do you think he is a good actor or do you just wish Tiger Beat magazine would run a "Win a Dream Date with Brad!" contest and you were the winner?

I'm being silly but I really would like to understand it.

maestrowork
03-23-2007, 09:43 PM
TROY is among my top 10 films (mostly because of Brad Pitt's outstanding performance)

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

dpaterso
03-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Do you think he is a good actor or do you just wish Tiger Beat magazine would run a "Win a Dream Date with Brad!" contest and you were the winner?

I'm being silly but I really would like to understand it.
Not silly at all. :D I think he's a good+ actor, one of the best of the current generation.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Agreed, tho' I'll never understand why.

-Derek

maestrowork
03-23-2007, 09:48 PM
He's good in contemporary role.. okay, maybe even semi-contemporary roles (such as River Runs Through it) but he is totally out of place in period piece. Pitt is a contemporary actor -- he's impressive in Babel, for example. Put him in a period costume and he just doesn't fit. I don't disagree that he's a good actor, but there's just something he can't do.

dclary
03-23-2007, 11:05 PM
As far as pansies go... Leo DiCrapio I get. Mark Wahlberg?

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g266/reba_76/Mark-Wahlberg-10515-9.jpg

May we all be so pansiettic. He's got that wrestler's/athlete's body that says "If I decided to kick your ass, believe me you wouldn't enjoy it. Lock thread."

MidnightMuse
03-23-2007, 11:11 PM
I think they have a cream for that now.

RumpleTumbler
03-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Here ya go Gooseman.

http://www.tigerbeatmag.com/

robeiae
03-24-2007, 02:36 AM
TROY is among my top 10 films (mostly because of Brad Pitt's outstanding performance) and is likely to stay there into the foreseeable future. Sure, some parts of it could have been done better, I'm not claiming it's perfect. But it's a damn watchable film.
Haven't we already gone through the differences in out "tastes"? :D

Seriously, from what I've seen, we seem to actually like some of the same things, but I can't get past this. It's liable to be on my tombstone:

STILL MYSTIFIED, EVEN IN DEATH, THAT SOMEONE ACTUALLY LIKED TROY.

I couldn't watch it. I tried. I wanted to like it. I was hoping to like it. But I just couldn't.

*sigh*

trumancoyote
03-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Is it true, by the bye, that Mark Wahlberg has a third nipple?

I, for one, hope it's true.

dpaterso
03-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Haven't we already gone through the differences in out "tastes"? :D
Yeah but that's OK, this doesn't necessarily make you a bad person, don't lose sleep over it.

Seriously, from what I've seen, we seem to actually like some of the same things, but I can't get past this. It's liable to be on my tombstone:

Oddly enough I might expect your epitath to read SHOT 749 TIMES, A NEW UNDERWORLD RECORD

I couldn't watch it. I tried. I wanted to like it. I was hoping to like it. But I just couldn't.
Can't argue with that. Itching to. :) But can't. Instead, I shall respect you as a member (see forum guidelines).

Is it true, by the bye, that Mark Wahlberg has a third nipple?

I, for one, hope it's true.
"I've come to embrace it. That thing's my prized possession."
"The bitches like to suck it."

What a guy, he's so cool, he's so cool...

-Derek

dpaterso
03-24-2007, 01:14 PM
He's good in contemporary role.. okay, maybe even semi-contemporary roles (such as River Runs Through it) but he is totally out of place in period piece. Pitt is a contemporary actor -- he's impressive in Babel, for example. Put him in a period costume and he just doesn't fit. I don't disagree that he's a good actor, but there's just something he can't do.
Gotta say, that's a couple of degrees better and a whole lot more articulate than, "I hate it, I hate it!" :D

-Derek

maestrowork
03-24-2007, 06:51 PM
It's like putting Halle Berry in a wig and costume and cast her in Marie Antoinette -- it just doesn't work.

But anyway. Yes, Wahlberg does have a third nipple, but I can't see that in his picture. I wonder where it is, or did they airbrush it out? :)

ChaosTitan
03-24-2007, 07:38 PM

Two someones. :D

And if we're going to complain about anyone in Troy who can't act/doesn't belong in a period film, it's going to be Saffron Burrows (Hector's wife). Chick has one facial expression, and it's constipated worry.

aadams73
03-25-2007, 12:28 AM
And if we're going to complain about anyone in Troy who can't act/doesn't belong in a period film, it's going to be Saffron Burrows (Hector's wife). Chick has one facial expression, and it's constipated worry.

Oh gawd, YES! Someone please give that woman some prune juice.

And don't get me started on that sexless German chick they had playing Helen of Troy.

But all in all I liked Troy. And I think Brad Pitt is really a pretty darn good actor. He could have easily picked the pretty-boy career track, but instead he's made some good choices.

maestrowork
03-25-2007, 12:29 AM

One other thing that bugged me about Troy -- Diane Kruger simply was not stunning enough (both in beauty and acting ability) to play Helen, the woman who launched a thousand ships. I just didn't buy it.

Charlize Theron would have been great. Or if someone had the sense of switching Angelina Jolie from Alexander to Troy. She would have been a killer Helen of Troy.

mkcbunny
03-25-2007, 12:44 AM
I can't believe "Mark Wahlberg" and "pansy" came up in the same paragraph. LOL. He stole every scene he was in in The Departed [though his hair was amazingly horrible]. Made me homesick for f*****n' Beantown. OK, only for a second, but he was awesome. Oh, make that f****n' awesome.

Shooter looks god-awful. Like it's been in the can for a couple of years and got pulled out post-Oscar nod.

[P.S. He'll always be Marky Mark to me, too. Sniff sniff. Our little MM, growing up ...]

ChaosTitan
03-25-2007, 09:18 PM
One other thing that bugged me about Troy -- Diane Kruger simply was not stunning enough (both in beauty and acting ability) to play Helen, the woman who launched a thousand ships. I just didn't buy it.

Charlize Theron would have been great. Or if someone had the sense of switching Angelina Jolie from Alexander to Troy. She would have been a killer Helen of Troy.

I didn't mind Diane Kruger. A thousand ships didn't sail to Troy to get her back, they sailed because Aggamemnon was a greedy bastard who wanted to sack Troy and own the world. :tongue Menalouas (sp?) wanted her back to kill her. The myth of her beauty has been overplayed, methinks.

I'm glad that Peterson picked a relatively unknown actress to play the part of Helen. Between Pitt, Bana, Bloom, O'Toole, Cox, and Sean Bean, the movie was already teetering on too much star power. Like her or not, Kruger became Helen. Jolie or Theron would have been Jolie or Theron, not Helen.

jvc
03-25-2007, 09:26 PM

I know I'm gonna regret this, I really am, but I'm going to agree with Ray (runs to window to see if the world is still there). Diane Kruger is so-so when it comes to looks, and I would have expected someone who played Helen of Troy to be, Oh-my-good-god-I-cant-take-my-eyes-off-the-tv-screen-and-can-someone-clean-up-this-druel-I-cant-move.