Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
House falls into disarray!
Dem leadership pulls DC voting bill from floor; conservative Dems were supporting DC gun repeal...
Leader Hoyer seen yelling at staff on floor...
Speaker Pelosi absent because she is desperately searching for Iraq supplemental votes...
Holmes-Norton standing silently in disbelief..

Now, the million dollar question, which none of you (except Billy, Robeiae, and I) can answer correctly: who's to blame for this? Having democrats in charge? Or having a woman in charge?​

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Everybody wins! :D

(er, except any of us in america who wanted competent leadership in our government :()

Reaction score
(er, except any of us in america who wanted competent leadership in our government :()

In addition to pork, House leaders have included in the bill a provision to withdraw U.S. forces from Iraq by early next year. It's not that this is a good idea. It's that the only way some anti-war Democrats will approve emergency spending to supply our troops in combat is if it is tied to an arbitrary date by which those troops must win or give up and come home.

Meanwhile, our fighting men and women are making remarkable progress by implementing Gen. David Petraus' surge plan. Yet the radical anti-war types have ignored this news. They want out now no matter the consequences.

What all of this proves is that Washington remains a cesspool of self-interest, hypocrisy and vainglory. Instead of having an honest, public-spirited vote on whether to provide an emergency appropriation for our troops in the field, we're getting a $20 billion load of pork and a plan for abandoning the fight that even liberal TV newsman Ted Koppel said "doesn't make any sense at all."

And these are the same people who have called the Bush administration incompetent.

:(

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Now, the million dollar question, which none of you (except Billy, Robeiae, and I) can answer correctly: who's to blame for this? Having democrats in charge? Or having a woman in charge?​

None of the above. Including you, Billy, and Robeiae. You're smart enough. I'll give you credit - well, not billy - but you know better than that asshat question d.

I expected better from you. If you're happy with the thugs that have hijacked the (R) party. State it now for the record.

I'm damned pissed on the (R)s behalf. I hope they wake up and help put this country back together again. This is nothing to joke about. NOT EVEN.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I'm damned pissed on the (R)s behalf. I hope they wake up and help put this country back together again. This is nothing to joke about. NOT EVEN.
The current Iraq War spending bill is no joke. And it was put together by the people being relied on to straighten things out. Not a good sign, and not much to pin any hopes on, imo.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well - tell your team to come up with something better than "Stay the course" then. We might have something we can agree on.

Stay the course isn't working. Unless occupying the Iraq til the next millennium is your idea of good foreign policy.

One more drop of American blood is not worth 'staying the course' - never mind the injustice, the indignity, and suffering we've heaped on the Iraqi people.

'We'll be greeted as liberators'' My Aunt Fanny.

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
Now, the million dollar question, which none of you (except Billy, Robeiae, and I) can answer correctly: who's to blame for this?

Somewhere, Clary, there are blogs about American Idol you could be reading.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know. I'll tell you this because I'm tired of the US being divided.

I'd rather have a good Senator like Olympia Snowe than any lousy Democrat.

I know we won't agree on every issue - but she looks out for her people.

I won't even call the motley crew we're saddled with Republicans anymore. They don't deserve the honor. They besmirch the integrity of the good people who have helped make our country great and I won't dishonor our history that way.

Human beings make mistakes. But this administration did not make mistakes. They coldly calculated to rape the National Treasury, divide the American people, and sully our image around the world.

I'm tired of being lied about - yes about. I'm not a babykiller. I don't eat children. I'm not morally bankrupt. I believe in gun ownership and I'm seriously considering buying one.

I am an American first. A Democrat second. And a compassionate, caring human being most of all.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
as a party, yes. they are.

individual democrats are not, of course (necessarily). but the people you've chosen to represent you are a fucking train wreck.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can only vote for the people in my own state - just like you.

Are you happy with what you've got? Changes in government don't happen overnight and you know it.

But people who pull levers because they can spell the person's name are part of the problem. I can't fix them either.

20th century thinking in a 21st century world isn't too smart. I can't fix it all by myself and neither can you.

So what's the alternative? Do nothing? That's worked well.

Point and laugh might make you feel good and makes for some fine comedy but it doesn't fix anything.

I'm going to drink a beer. I yield the balance of my time to my friend in TX.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
as a party, yes. they are.

individual democrats are not, of course (necessarily). but the people you've chosen to represent you are a fucking train wreck.
Stop trying to get on my good side.

Now, can someone find me a box of scorpions? It's a gift for a friend...

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I can only vote for the people in my own state - just like you.

Are you happy with what you've got? Changes in government don't happen overnight and you know it.

But people who pull levers because they can spell the person's name are part of the problem. I can't fix them either.

20th century thinking in a 21st century world isn't too smart. I can't fix it all by myself and neither can you.

So what's the alternative? Do nothing? That's worked well.

Point and laugh might make you feel good and makes for some fine comedy but it doesn't fix anything.

I'm going to drink a beer. I yield the balance of my time to my friend in TX.

wow, an entirely inappropriate response to my comments.

are you aware that code pink tried to take over pelosi's office today? not a republican warmonger, but the speaker of the house, leader of the party.

are you aware that rep. david obey shouted down an anti-war activist last week, ranting about the "idiot liberals" that are "screwing things up"... this from a man who played a key role in ending vietnam and has been a harsh opponent of the war in iraq?

are you aware that the esteemed democratic senator from california, dianne feinstein, has resigned from the military construction appropriations subcommittee because she's a war profiteer (isn't that a mortal sin for you cheney-haters)?

yeah, they've only been in power for a couple of months, but it's been marked by broken promises, platitudes about ending the war while passing non-binding resolutions and a deep schism between the moderates and the radicals.

talk to me. tell me how they have their shit together.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I reclaim the balance of my time.

I can't claim they're making progress. There are plenty of people who are plenty mad I think you know that.

I did not know this:

that rep. david obey shouted down an anti-war activist last week, ranting about the "idiot liberals" that are "screwing things up"... this from a man who played a key role in ending vietnam and has been a harsh opponent of the war in iraq?

But I've heard similar sentiments before and he may be right. Personally, I wouldn't have shouted but hey - that's me. I ignore asshats because I don't have to placate.

In my online interactions here I've seen quite a few people I'd prefer in the House and even a few for the Senate.

I can't keep up with everything. I don't even want to. I appreciate the people who take the time to provide intelligent insight. I love humor. Snark is delicious.

But more - I appreciate people who know when something is funny and deserves to be poked and exposed and can differentiate. What's going on right now really isn't funny. I fail to see the humour in any of what's going on - especially in our judiciary and with our troops in Iraq.

YMMV

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
talk to me. tell me how they have their shit together.

In the end, despite this premature thread, they ended up passing the bill, and the most liberal members got a standing ovation from the moderate Dems. So that's disarray, I suppose.

You want a train wreck? Look at the Republicans. Now there's a train wreck. Callow, self-interested, eager to excuse criminality if someone in their own party is at issue, only loyal to anything that enhances their power, and defenders of a repugnant administration that sees government only as a means to help themselves or try to make themselves look good, and I'm judging by the standards of politicians.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
In the end, despite this premature thread, they ended up passing the bill, and the most liberal members got a standing ovation from the moderate Dems. So that's disarray, I suppose.

howard zinn certainly seems to think so...

Status
Not open for further replies.