PDA

View Full Version : A Question....

JPSpideyCJ
03-22-2007, 08:05 PM
..... Why do people here refer to magic as 'magick'? This has been bugging me for some time. Is this the correct spelling?

Cathy C
03-22-2007, 08:23 PM
Magick is an Old English spelling--probably a derivative of the Middle English magike. It tends to denote (IMO, and I think subconsciously) the era of the sword-and-sorcery style of the story.

Tallymark
03-22-2007, 08:25 PM
It is, I believe, the original archaic spelling of the word. Though "magic" is technically the correct spelling in modern english, magick still has a very nice feel to it (possibly because it's the archaic version--suggesting ancient magic) and is used a lot in fantasy. It's really just personal preference.

tjwriter
03-22-2007, 08:38 PM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18583

That is the link to Diana's thread about Magick, which around post 13 has a discussion on the 'k'. Interesting reading regardless.

veinglory
03-22-2007, 08:39 PM
"Magick" is a word used by believing pagans or other types to indicate to the person they are talking to that this is a comment about real life not Harry Potter. It is just an attempt to keep the context of the comment clear.

Sej
03-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Aleister Crowley an Enlish writer made the word popular again in 1920ish?* he wrote 4 books about magick there may have been more but i only know of 4.

*sorry dont quote me on the date i have no idea when he wrote the books or when they were published. I know he had work published from about 1900-1946 he died in 1947.

Judg
03-22-2007, 11:19 PM
The spelling "magick" was deliberately chosen as an attempt to separate witchcraft magic from showbiz magic. It's often accompanied by other attempts at archaisms, which I find mildly annoying. It comes across affected to me, but that's mainly a question of personal taste and not one I feel strongly enough about to rant about. But I don't use it personally.

Marlys
03-22-2007, 11:36 PM
It is, I believe, the original archaic spelling of the word. Though "magic" is technically the correct spelling in modern english, magick still has a very nice feel to it (possibly because it's the archaic version--suggesting ancient magic) and is used a lot in fantasy. It's really just personal preference.
No such thing as an "original archaic spelling," since spelling wasn't standardized until quite recently. The earliest ten citations of the word "magic" in English according to the OED show it spelled: magik, magyk, magique, malgyk, magyque, magykes, Magika, magict, and magicke. Doesn't settle into "magick" until 1642, and only stays there until shifting to "magic" in 1781.

People argue about whether Crowley wanted to distinguish "real" from stage magic, or his own belief system from other mystical beliefs, but yeah--he's the one who made this spelling popular.