Off Limits Subjects/Comments

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
Aside from the standard respect your fellow writers (e.g. no name calling, rude remarks), what if any subjects/Comments would you consider Off Limits, and if so why? If you think anything goes, also explain why?

Comment: Before anyone goes off on the First Amendment right of free speech, keep in mind this forum although based in the U.S., is International in its membership and accessibility.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is just for me personally - I don't care what other people do....

intimate details about their sex life are so 80's. Sex is not a spectator sport.

Again - that's just my opinion but I won't go there.

Before anyone thinks I'm dissin' them about talking about it here or anywhere - I'm not.

I'm just stating I won't participate.

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think any subjects are really off limits, as long as they're discussed without intent to harm.

And the first ammendment wouldn't get in the way here if it could - it regards only censorship by the government. Seeing as AW is privately owned, they can do whatever they want to our freedom of speech.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
The First Amendment to the United States constitution prevents the US government from censoring the press. It does not require the owner of the press to publish everything that is presented to it.

As for off-limit posts, are you wanting to propose a topic that you think might not be appropriate to this forum or board?

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
As for off-limit posts, are you wanting to propose a topic that you think might not be appropriate to this forum or board?
Nope, it was a general question to the forum members, disregarding my opinions.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Hoperfully, erotic fan fiction featuring Whoopi Goldberg and/or Rhea Perlman and/or Teddy G is off limits.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I believe that anything harmful to gophers or eggplants should be avoided simply out of good taste. I'm hesitant to proclaim anything off limits due to my psychological make-up.

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
What hope is there for the entire world if writers encounter any topic that is off limits? Can not readers simply look away, or say "that's nice, but not for me?"

Anything less than total liberty is some degree of Taliban.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I've participated in discussion groups and message boards in which certain topics are off limits for certain reasons. Some subjects in a particular group go nowhere,and lead to discussion completely unrelated to the what the group was created for.

Here, we have off topic forums, and I don't think anything is not allowed, as long as we respect each other. There have been threads that have been locked because they moved beyond discussion and got out of hand. Those same subjects usually come up later when everyone has cooled off again.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever anyone, anywhere, starts a topic I feel is off limits, I don't listen and I don't participate, because, inevitably, my idea of 'off limits' is going to differ from another person's idea of 'off limits'.

In my opinion, however, few topics are off limits. There is a time and a place for discussion of every topic.

Therefore, you should feel free to start any topic you want, and if you suddenly find youself on a thread with no responses, and everyone and their brother has you on 'ignore', then you can conclude that the topic is 'off limits', and move on with your life.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
How do I know if I'm on an ignore list? If I'm being ignored, no one will tell me I'm being ignored, and I'm dense enough to not notice for days or possibly months.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Therefore, you should feel free to start any topic you want, and if you suddenly find youself on a thread with no responses, and everyone and their brother has you on 'ignore', then you can conclude that the topic is 'off limits', and move on with your life.
Kinda sums up my entire time as an AW member...

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Wouldn't you say that he crossed the line when he went from words to fists? So wouldn't that line be between words and actions, and not somewhere else such as before words?

Last edited:

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This may sound wicked, but sometimes I enjoy posters posting for shock value just so I can out-shock them.

Troo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pantechnicon.net
I believe any hatred/sexism/racism should be never be allowed on any message board. I've been on my town message board for ages and one man is always so mean to women, its hurtful and rude, and he makes comments constantly.

Just days ago he was arrested for a redneck trailer park brawl where he, his brother, and his friend beat a woman and man senseless. He is still in jail and I hope he gets what he deserves.

When the question is about what's off-limits as a topic for a discussion, I see nothing wrong with discussing -ism's, exploring them, trying to understand them. Just as I see nothing wrong with discussing murderers, child molesters, and Barry Manilow fans for the same reasons.

Being one, on the other hand...

Deleted member 42

Rich, I am shocked. Deeply deeply shocked. Now looking for my used mace . . ..

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe any subject should be off limits because of the vast writing that is done by the AW writers here. Any subject can be used in our WIP even if it is one sentence that impressed them in the discussion.

However, one's opinion is as good as another's and that is what should be respected, not put down, and discussed to it's fullest extent for understanding and clarity.

Some may choose to let their silence be their option while thoughts discussed can open minds, if those participating will let it happen.