Moving Overseas...?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
If you got a bug up your ass and decided to move overseas, where would you go? What would you do? Or did you/have you?

I'm having a particularly bad "I hate living in Virginia" day, and was browsing some expat websites that I stumbled across. If I were to move overseas, I don't think I'd even know where to start...LOL

Anyway, just curious. :) If you had the opportunity, where would you want to go?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
turkey or spain.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ireland to live I guess-- to visit, Scotland

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Ireland. A pub and a bunk. "No patty-fingers, please!"

expatbrat

Look what we made:
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.expatbrat.com
Wooo hooo - someone else wants to be an expat. COOL!

Thailand is an easy place to live. You can get all your western foods and things and life is nice. What are you going to do as an expat?

Hairdressing, Personal Training (and swim coaching as I've recently discovered), Teaching and Engineering are probably the top four expatting jobs. But there are tonnes of others. A number of my friends are journalists so if you write that kind of stuff you could get a posting somewhere.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com

Thailand is an easy place to live. You can get all your western foods and things and life is nice. What are you going to do as an expat?

Hairdressing, Personal Training (and swim coaching as I've recently discovered), Teaching and Engineering are probably the top four expatting jobs. But there are tonnes of others. A number of my friends are journalists so if you write that kind of stuff you could get a posting somewhere.

Oh, it's just a thought right now. My husband's enlistment is up later this year, and we're trying to decide where to go from here. If he re-enlists, we're in for another 12 years so that he can retire at 20 years.

I don't know what I'd be doing. It's just something that has been bouncing around in my brain. And it WOULD get us farther away from his parents...

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Lonely Planet have a "long haul" branch on their thorn tree. This is a great place for expatting advice. http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/categories.cfm?catid=30

Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks! :)

Course, nothing's going to be decided til my husband gets home....I figure I should at least let him get home and put his feet up for a few minutes before we start talking about picking up roots and moving. LOL Then again, we moved from Washington to Virginia (3,000+ miles) 3 months after his last deployment, so he could probably live with it. LOL

We'll see. It's just an idea right now.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I would love to expat. My friend, who grew up in Hong Kong, ended up expat'ing back in Hong Kong as an American. Lucky bastard... Another friend of mine expat'ed in Copenhagen. Nice.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Hmmm...

I'd start off in the channel islands. Because it's still Britain but with nicer weather.
Then, when I get used to this "Abroad" Malarkey. Relocate to Switzerland or somewhere in Eastern Europe, Probably Bratislava (As pretty as prague but half the cost and half the tourists).
And then, if I wanted to go the whole hog. Either Qatar or Belize.

Not that I've given it a lot of thought or anything...

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk

My son and I were discussing Thailand as a place to live (for him) just yesterday. He says it's extremely difficult for foreigners to get a work permit for Thailand. Is this true?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I am already an ex-pat, in fact I've ex-patted form being an ex-pat and I no longer know exactly what my status is. At present I have one foot in England and one in Germany. Don't ask.

I know for a fact that I want to end up in India. No question. I'd go tomorrow if I could. But I have dependents. Most of all, my husband's needs have to be taken into account.

Places I have considered are Tobago, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand.

I want somewhere tropical, gladly third world. He couldn't take that. A good compromise would be the tropics in winter, a temperate climate in summer.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'm already an Aussie ex-pat. But if I had to chose, I'd go with Italy or Greece.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Do you work full time?

Lots and lots of people who work off-shore base themselves in Thailand (and other parts of Asia). Cost of living here is really cheap. Ooooh - and you could get a maid!

Yes, I do work full time. Would dearly love to write full time, but that'll take a while. How would one go about finding expat jobs? Do most require four year degrees? (I have a two year)

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I had a bug up my ass and moved to Holland in 2006. But then ol'bush decided he wanted to start a war and the whole EU economy went to shit and I was out of work for several months. So, I had to return and find work here in the USofA. I still want to go back and live in Holland or Ireland after my current contract is up.