PDA

View Full Version : Can LOST be saved?

Pages : [1] 2

Ralyks
03-22-2007, 01:29 AM
I used to be a Lost addict, but it seemed to decline from season 2 onward. The last two episodes showed some promise, however. I'm crossing my fingers for tonight. Any other reluctant Lost fans out there?

SpookyWriter
03-22-2007, 01:32 AM
Can LOST be saved? No.

MidnightMuse
03-22-2007, 02:19 AM
They LOST me by episode 4 or 5, when I realized it wasn't going to ever resolve anything OR make any sense whatsoever.

I don't believe for a minute these writers have a clue, they're making it up as they go along.

*feeling grumpy today*

scarletpeaches
03-22-2007, 02:23 AM
Sawyer's on my wish list, though. And I saved myself the bother of watching any of it after the first episode by storing his lovely loveliness in my memory banks and calling it back up when I wanted a drool.

rhymegirl
03-22-2007, 02:41 AM
I still enjoy watching Lost. I agree that the last 2 shows have been good.

My sisters, however, do not like the new time slot. They say they can't stay up until 10 to watch it.

dpaterso
03-22-2007, 02:47 AM
No. The writers killed this promising series with their let's-make-it-up-as-we-go-along silliness, and will never regain my confidence. If only the writing was worthy of the likeable cast.

-Derek

billythrilly7th
03-22-2007, 03:03 AM
I watched the first two episodes.

Then I realized it was going to be a bunch of hocus pocus mumbo jumbo instead of a cool Castawayish people trapped on an island/have to survive/and try and get rescued show.

I loved Gilligan's Island.

I thought a semi-realistic drama about people lost on an island would be a lot of fun.

But this isn't a semi-realistic drama.

It's a bunch of pointless, hocus pocus mumbo jumbo so I was gone quick.

Thank you.

PattiTheWicked
03-22-2007, 03:24 AM
The problem with this season was they spent WAAAAY too much time focusing on Jack and Kate and Sawyer's Adventures in OthersLand. One of the reason the show worked so well the first two seasons is because we got to learn about ALL the people. But as yummalicious as Sawyer is, I got tired of seeing Jack looking angrily at Ben, Kate falling down or getting guns pointed at her, etc.

I'm glad we're back to the beach again.

Tonight is a Locke episode. My prediction is that we find out he got paralyzed because he was on the balcony when Hurley stepped out and made the thing collapse.

ChaosTitan
03-22-2007, 03:35 AM
Any other reluctant Lost fans out there?

*raises hand*

I don't look forward to the series the way I did in past seasons. The mythology has gotten away from its creators. I actually preferred the mysteries of the first season (smoke creatures and polar bears and random shipwrecked boats). But all of this "it's a big research experiment run by loony toons and wack jobs" is starting to wear thin.

I'm glad they've turned the focus back around to the folks on the beach. This thing between Charlie and Desmond (hotter than Sawyer, IMHO) has kept me interested. And Ausiello's gossip column over on the TVGuide.com promises some great shockers in the final May eps.

If I'm not shocked by *something* I may not tune in next year. :Shrug:

MattW
03-22-2007, 03:51 AM
Tonight is a Locke episode. My prediction is that we find out he got paralyzed because he was on the balcony when Hurley stepped out and made the thing collapse.
That was one of my thoughts too. But it felt like it was something more sinister the Others would know about, maybe something from his time in the commune.

And I can say I really like Lost becaue I watched the first 2 seasons on DVD in semi-isolation from the hype. Also cut down on the endurance necessary for tension - either scripted or schedule determined.

I thought they went past finding and destroying the communications station too fast - in only one episode!

MattW
03-22-2007, 03:52 AM
***** being ****'s half-sister was a surprise, but not mind-bending.

underthecity
03-22-2007, 04:27 AM
I enjoyed the first season, but really thought they could wrap it up by season 2 and let us know what the hell is going on.

We're still not much closer to finding out what the hell is going on.

I mean, is it a psychology experiment or isn't it? What was up with the big imposion? So . . . that was all real? The hatch, the button, the "saving the world" thing?

I have to know what's going on with the island, but I've been slowing down caring about the characters' backstories. Actually, I don't care anymore. I don't want any more backstories. I just want the "now."

Then, Hurley found an old van. That was interesting, but there was no way it could have been driven. The gas would have been gone, or unusable. The battery would have been shot. But, since Hurley "believed," it ran. Yeah right.

Sigh. If I didn't want to know the secret behind Dharma and everything else, I would have stopped watching last season.

The new time slot is killer, too. 10PM on Wednesday? Come on.

allen

Becky Writes
03-22-2007, 04:36 AM
Where the heck did Michael and Walt go? Did they just get on that boat and go back to the States like nothing happened?

katiemac
03-22-2007, 04:42 AM
Michael and Walt will probably be back. I think next season is the end, the producers don't want the story to go any further than one more season.

I thought about dropping it for now and waiting for the DVDs to finish up the series. But I liked Desmond's and Claire's recent stories, so hopefully they're steering back into better balanced episodes.

ETA: ABC is bringing it back for next season, so what I said earlier isn't relevant.

MattW
03-22-2007, 06:07 AM
Can't foget that Michael and Walt went home (hopefully) and that Desmond's old flame had the two dudes at the listening station. Add in the possibility of the birds, and you've got some external pressure to wrap it up.

My guess is the castaways find their own way of living and/or leaving and some mysteries remain unsolved.

ChaosTitan
03-22-2007, 07:03 AM
Tonight's ep, no spoilers. Maybe I'm slipping, but I so did not see that final scene coming. Dude...

Sucks to be Locke right now.

katiemac
03-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Ever notice how almost every character has had daddy issues?

Shadow_Ferret
03-22-2007, 07:39 AM
They LOST me by episode 4 or 5, when I realized it wasn't going to ever resolve anything OR make any sense whatsoever.

That's exactly about the time I stopped watching it, too, and for the same reasons.

MattW
03-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Tonight's ep, no spoilers. Maybe I'm slipping, but I so did not see that final scene coming. Dude...

Sucks to be Locke right now.Well. knowing the focus of the flashbacks always tie to the current storyline, I had an idea. When Ben entioned the box, I knew the end.

Finding out about Lock's "accident" was a non-event.

See - no spoilers?

PattiTheWicked
03-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Yep, Matt, I felt the same way. As soon as I heard about the box, I told my daughter, "Ah. I bet I know how this is going to go."

And Katie -- yes, that's one of the things that's struck me from the begnining, is that each character has serious issues with their fathers. I'm trying to figure out how it's important, though, and how it connects them all. I'm still waiting for Christian Shepard to pop out of a thicket on the beach, because we just KNOW he's lurking around somewhere on the island.

oswann
03-22-2007, 05:46 PM
It's bollocks.

Os.

Leah J. Utas
03-22-2007, 05:53 PM
It's too much of a mess to be taken seriously and not enough fun to be enjoyably bad.
The writers have lost their way. It'll take a miracle to rehab it into something that doesn't cause me to shake my head. I'll still watch, though. This season anyway.
Good point, Katiemac. They do have daddy issues.
And why are most of the characters so danged annoying?

Ralyks
03-22-2007, 07:23 PM
The major problem for me is that I was originally arrested by it as a character-driven drama with rich themes of sin and redemption, and now it's just a make-it-up-as-you-go mystery. The flashbacks have been a real problem. They are recounting the same stories again and again in different ways, and telling us the same things we already know about the characters traits or personalities. (I thought Sayid's flashback an exception because, even though it rehashed the torture story line, it was thematically rich and emotional.) And of course we get "big mysteries" explained which are no mysteries at all--like when Jack got his tattoo and how Locke was paralyzed. Uh, no...those weren't the mysteries we were really interested in seeing explained. Saw Locke's accident coming pretty early .

However, I do feel things have picked up the last few episodes, perhaps because the pace has and it looks like there is a promising move towards answers and resolution. But I miss the Lost of season one.

PattiTheWicked
03-22-2007, 09:06 PM
And did anyone else notice last night that Jack appears to have fresh ink on his left forearm?

And is anyone else wondering if maybe Locke's dad is the one who conned James Ford's parents out of their money -- the original "Sawyer"?

And does anyone else remember the episode with Hurley where he's meeting with an accountant in a high-rise building, and some dude goes falling past the window?

And where the hell are Michael and Walt?

Every time I think I know what's happening, i end up with more questions.

katiemac
03-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Jack's always had that tattoo, but I don't think we've ever gotten a clear picture of it.

And yeah, I'm pretty certain Locke's dad in the real Sawyer. But last night's episode got me thinking about Jack's dad (someone already mentioned him running around the island) appearing on the island in season 1. Was Jack seeing things, or no?

PattiTheWicked
03-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Jack's always had that tattoo, but I don't think we've ever gotten a clear picture of it.

And yeah, I'm pretty certain Locke's dad in the real Sawyer. But last night's episode got me thinking about Jack's dad (someone already mentioned him running around the island) appearing on the island in season 1. Was Jack seeing things, or no?

Somehow I've missed that tattoo then -- the only one I ever remember seeing was the combo one on his left upper arm, with the Chinese symbols and the 5.

And, yes, I'm wondering about Jack's dad too -- could he be pulling the strings behind the scenes?

I gotta say, though -- every scene with Henry Gale and John Locke is pure magic. Benry is rapidly becoming one of my favorite characters.

"Well, no, John, we don't have a code for "there's a man in my closet holding a gun to my daughter's head". But obviously we should."

katiemac
03-22-2007, 10:02 PM
I didn't notice the second the tattoo until much later into season 1, but he's always had it. But the tattoo he got in Thailand (symbols and the 5) wasn't as detailed as it is now, and he didn't get the one under his arm then, so he's been tattooed at least twice as far as I can tell.

rhymegirl
03-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Where the heck did Michael and Walt go? Did they just get on that boat and go back to the States like nothing happened?

Very good question! This is what I've been wondering too. Haven't we been told that there is no way to get back to where they were from by boat? Didn't Desmond try it but got nowhere?

Didn't someone say the submarine was the only way off the island, the way to get home?

One of my sisters thinks the reason they have to get Walt off the show is because he's a child actor. Even though Lost has been on for a few years, the time period on the show is only supposed to be a matter of months. Therefore, the boy who plays Walt will be getting older (if he started out 10, now he's 13), but Walt wouldn't be that old yet and it would be noticeable. The adults aren't going to age that fast.

But STILL--there should be some mention of Michael and Walt. Did they get back home? Are they still floundering in the ocean somewhere?

rhymegirl
03-22-2007, 10:25 PM
No. The writers killed this promising series with their let's-make-it-up-as-we-go-along silliness, and will never regain my confidence. If only the writing was worthy of the likeable cast.

-Derek

Maybe you should submit a script?

kristie911
03-22-2007, 11:36 PM
I'm still a total Lost addict. It doesn't bother me a bit that they don't resolve much...but then I was an X-Files lover. I'm used to nothing being resolved. :)

katiemac
03-22-2007, 11:37 PM
I gotta say, though -- every scene with Henry Gale and John Locke is pure magic. Benry is rapidly becoming one of my favorite characters.

I think he's the best written character on that show, at least right now. I'm always tempted to like him, right before he does something really sleazy. Like telling Jack, "I'll let your friends go as soon as you step off this island," knowing the whole time what Locke was about to do.

Tricky.

awatkins
03-23-2007, 12:02 AM
What was up with Desmond's time travel episode? How is that supposed to play into anything? Am I missing something?

katiemac
03-23-2007, 12:12 AM
As far as I can tell, when the hatch imploded his life flashed before his eyes, but "didn't stop." So he can "knows the future" because he's already seen it.

But I'm not sure if he actually relived that point in his life, dreamed it or just flashbacked to it. I'm hoping they'll still explain that one.

awatkins
03-23-2007, 09:32 PM
I hope so, too, Katie. I get all confused so easily. heh

mdin
03-24-2007, 11:43 PM
I've gotten pretty irritated with the show, but I still watch it. I fell over laughing at the end of Wednesday's show.

And I am going to laugh every time I see that whiny guy who played Xerxes in 300.

Leah J. Utas
03-29-2007, 04:45 PM
WTF?
I'm not sure what to say about last night's installment.
I hope it leads us somewhere.
Or was it just a fresh twist on a recap episode? The crash scene, airplane scene, finding a hatch.

Gravity
03-29-2007, 04:49 PM
I liked it last night's episode. A lot. The ending was a nice touch of Poe.

PattiTheWicked
03-29-2007, 05:43 PM
I thought last night's episode was sort of a nod to the fact that every single person in the Blogosphere has been saying "Who the hell are Paolo and Nikki" for a month and a half. And I'm happy I got to see Josh Holloway shirtless, because it's been way too long.

The ending sent chills down my spine.

OK, so here's a "think about this" for Desmond. We all know Desmond has these visions, and so of course he knows what's coming, and that's why Charlie's still got a pulse, right?

What if it's not premonitions at all? What if Desmond's thinking something will happen is the CAUSE of it happening?

Anonymisty
03-29-2007, 07:23 PM
And I'm happy I got to see Josh Holloway shirtless, because it's been way too long.

Indeed, there is never enough shirtless Sawyer to please me... :D

mdin
03-29-2007, 11:36 PM
I thought last night's episode was one of the best ones in a while. Any episode that brings back hot chick is good one. Plus we saw some interesting tidbits we hadn't seen before.

The ending kicked butt.

kristie911
03-29-2007, 11:47 PM
I loved last night's show...my work partner hated it. I thought it let us see some snippets of information we hadn't seen before, that might come into play later and actually explained a couple of things. Well, maybe not explained but filled in holes.

He thought it was a complete waste of a show. Completely unrelated to anything.

I'm still hooked. And, you guys are right, there can never be too much shirtless Sawyer! :D

ChaosTitan
03-30-2007, 01:33 AM
I thought it was the best episode of the season. Of course, I may have been blinded by the blue brilliance that is Ian Somerhalder's eyes. And the nakedness of Sawyer's chest. Yowser.

Just a fun episode all around.

Anonymisty
03-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Of course, I may have been blinded by the blue brilliance that is Ian Somerhalder's eyes. And the nakedness of Sawyer's chest. Yowser.

If Sayid had also been there digging, or maybe all wet from swimming... I'd have had to call in sick to work today. ;)

PattiTheWicked
03-30-2007, 01:52 AM
Yummalicious.

:::fans self:::

See, even if Lost fails, it will live on in the late night fantasies of those of us who are pretty sure we wouldn't mind being stranded on an island with Sawyer, Desmond and Sayid.

Serenity
03-30-2007, 02:28 AM
I thought it was the best episode of the season. Of course, I may have been blinded by the blue brilliance that is Ian Somerhalder's eyes. And the nakedness of Sawyer's chest. Yowser.

Just a fun episode all around.

Just wait until you see what I bought today then... :e2thud: :e2thud:

MattW
04-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Tonight was ok - not great, not awful.

I really thought we might get a better glimpse of the black smoke creature...and why is anyone trusting Julia? Listen to Sayed!

rhymegirl
04-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Yummalicious.

See, even if Lost fails, it will live on in the late night fantasies of those of us who are pretty sure we wouldn't mind being stranded on an island with Sawyer, Desmond and Sayid.

What about Jack? He's pretty cute, too. I think I like him the best.

Last night's show was pretty good. Hugo tricking Sawyer into being nice.

A cat fight between Kate and Julia for the guys.

kristie911
04-05-2007, 03:44 PM
A cat fight between Kate and Julia for the guys.

And then they rolled around in the mud a bit too. The guys had to love that! :)

Good episode...I don't understand, either, why Jack trusts Julia. I think Sayid is right. LEAVE HER! But then again, Jack is really trusting. I'm sure she's up to something though.

Loved Sawyer being nice to everyone, even if he was tricked into it. I think he really wants to be a decent guy, just doesn't know how to go about it. I hope he and Kate end up together...I think they're good together. And then I can have Jack all to myself! LOL

My question is: Wouldn't it make sense to round up everyone from the beach and take them back to the Others village to live, if the Others have left? Much nicer than the beach...

Leah J. Utas
04-05-2007, 05:22 PM
I got a minor kick out of last night's episode. Handcuffed mud wrestling, conning the con man into being nice.
No one should trust Julia. Of course the Others are up to something by leaving her behind.
Trying to trick them into the village, then holding them captive with the fence.
Nice to see the smoke monster back.

PattiTheWicked
04-05-2007, 06:19 PM
I am tired of watching Kate (a) fall down (b) get snuck up on (c) cry. I was hoping beyond all measure that the smoke monster would eat her, and then annoying Juliet would get zapped by the Big Magic Fence.

But no such luck.

I did enjoy seeing the storyline about Kate hooking up with Sawyer's lady, though, that was kind of a neat twist. As far as the bit with him being nice to people on the island, that was kind of cute because we all got to see a kinder, gentler Sawyer, but it was still a little silly.

Damn it, I long for the days when there were polar bears in the jungle and monsters eating people and Locke being jovial instead of depressing and more shirtless Sawyer/Sayid/Desmond. I want to wonder who's lying and see things fall apart and go back to episodes where there was some actual STORY, instead of 60 minutes spent telling me things I already know, like "The Others are sneaky" or "Sawyer really does have a good heart" or "Nikki and Paolo were worthless and we should probably just pretend they never existed in the first place."

Anonymisty
04-05-2007, 07:38 PM
My question is: Wouldn't it make sense to round up everyone from the beach and take them back to the Others village to live, if the Others have left? Much nicer than the beach...

I thought the same thing. All those nice houses just sitting there empty...waste not!

My husband was laughing at me when Kate and Jack emerged from the house, because the first thing I said was, "Where's Sayid?" I was afraid Juliet had done something unspeakable to him when we couldn't see. When he spoke up, I was much relieved.

kristie911
04-05-2007, 08:42 PM
My husband was laughing at me when Kate and Jack emerged from the house, because the first thing I said was, "Where's Sayid?" I was afraid Juliet had done something unspeakable to him when we couldn't see. When he spoke up, I was much relieved.

HA! I thought the same thing...I was so glad to see him show up. If they killed Sayid, I would be really pissed off.

PattiTheWicked
04-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Heh. From the previews, it looks like next week Sayid breaks out a can of Interrogator Whupass on Juliet.

I can't wait.

Now if only he could find a reason to shoot Kate, I'd be happy.

Ali B
04-06-2007, 01:39 AM
My fiance and I have a saying, "It's called 'Lost' for a reason...cause you're always lost."

mdin
04-06-2007, 04:27 AM
Any episode with Joanie Stubbs (http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/cast/character/joaniestubbs.shtml) in it is a winner in my book.

Rolling Thunder
04-06-2007, 04:29 AM
As long as Kate runs around in a wet shirt, I'm there. :D

Ralyks
04-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Heh. From the previews, it looks like next week Sayid breaks out a can of Interrogator Whupass on Juliet.

I can't wait.

Now if only he could find a reason to shoot Kate, I'd be happy.

It looks like a pretty casual interrogation.

So someone is actually, finally, going to ask an Other for REAL information, instead of just saying, oh, how's your arm, ok, let's go? I find that hard to believe. Previews have lied before. She'll probably say, "We're a cult" and he'll say, "Ok, let's eat some fruit." Stay tuned for next week.

Apparently no one is going to sit her down in Otherville for a little "talk". They're going to hit the road and head back to the beach first. How can the Losties keep doing that? Wouldn't you be desperate to find out what was going on by now? Wouldn't you whip out the interrogation can right then and there? Madness, I say. Let's take a stroll and then we'll chat. But, oh well, as long as I get to gaze at Sayid for a portion of the episode, I suppose I'll be content....

I think (always excepting Sayid) Ben may be my new favorite character.

I hated the Nikki and Paolo epsiode. Everything seemed so contrived, so forecedly "clever." Even the editing/snipping together of past scenes seemed force. At least they're dead.

MattW
04-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Any episode with Joanie Stubbs (http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/cast/character/joaniestubbs.shtml) in it is a winner in my book.It's been so long - I knew I recognized her, but I forgot from where!

small axe
04-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Tonight's episode, with the whole "Juliette" flashback, and redemption ... and then we realize her redemption is just an even-more-Evil plan by the Others?

THAT was amazing. That's LOST being saved, and it's been pretty durn great TV for several weeks now!

Stay tuned for excitement. Finally. Excitement rather than frustration ... :)

ChaosTitan
04-12-2007, 03:25 PM
I admit, I actually found myself paying attention to the entire episode. For the second week in a row! Normally I can watch/listen over my shoulder while doing other things on the computer, and not miss anything.

It's finally becoming compelling TV again.

I was actually a little annoyed that Juliet is still working for Ben. Just when I was starting to like her. *harrumph* Makes me wonder what Ben could have possibly promised her this time (with the submarine and listening station both blown to pieces by Mr. Crazy Locke).

PattiTheWicked
04-12-2007, 04:02 PM
I hate to admit this, but I wasn't that impressed with last night's episode. Again, the show's creators took an entire hour to show me something I already knew -- which was that Juliet is not to be trusted. It all just seemed contrived -- and as soon as Claire started leaking blood, I looked at my daughter and said, "Oh, goodie, now Juliet can save her and redeem herself in the eyes of the rest of the gang."

A few parts I liked -- pretty much any scene with Ben, seeing Calamity Jane as Juliet's sister (anyone notice that a lot of "Deadwood" gals show up on here?), and the bit at the tree where Juliet laid a verbal throwdown on Sawyer and Sayid was well done. I was also happy that when Kate saw Sawyer on the beach, she didn't go and do something stupid like ignore him, and just went to him -- that made me happy, which was nice, because normally Kate just pisses me off.

But I miss the days when an episode ended with that malevolent "thud" and you looked at the tv and said "Oh. My. God."

The previews looked as though the tide may be about to change, though, so I'm optimistic.

Rolling Thunder
04-12-2007, 04:16 PM
I liked most of it, except the flashbacks. Those tend to bug me. The island is supposed to be strange and malevolent; show me more of that, that's what I'm investing my time in. I also figured out Juliet was planted in the group for another reason, so it didn't surprise me. And let's face it; the other's couldn't have just up-and-left. If anything smacks as contrived that angle sure does.

T Knight
04-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Yeah... You all suck... There was me waiting to get into a big debate on the whole lost thing and then you go and ruin next weeks episode for me. I am in England you see so we are a week behind. It's a good thing I am a lost addict and could happily watch the repeats all day long.

Now here is my take on the whole lost thing.

I believe strongly that one of two things are happening, either the producers had this amazing idea, but didn't know what to do with it so have ended up making it up as they go along and when it does finally finish it will be some gay ending like they find another submarine and all get off the island with no questions answered at all... or...

I believe that none of it is real. They are all trapped inside a virtual reality world. Locked in there because they are all mentally ill for one reason or another. As they get better and work through thier issues they are either killed or released and they leave the show. Now there are some exceptions to this and I believe the reason for it is that they are actually part of the program for example Hurleys love that got shot. I believe she was there to help Hurley face some demons and was merely part of the program.

Some things that point to this theory being true would be the episode where fit girl is shot and dies in sayheds arms as she finally finds love. Michael bieng pushed to the limit for his son and realising he loves him so much he is willing to do anything for him, then he gets let go. Ecko didn't make his peace really before he was killed off. He did however face his demons and his path was set, he did not want to say sorry he was not ashamed of what he did. So in that respect he was sorted out. Each of thier stories is about there pain and the 'others' have thier file which seems to tell them everything. Why or even how could they get these files? And how could they get all of them randomly on a plane at the same time?

It would be impossible, so the only logical explanation is that they were brought together for a reason and not to go on a flight. I believe they all had issues and through choice or not were put in a mental facility where they are now in a virtual reality world learning to work through thier issues and become better people.

If this theory then did turn out to be true then how amazing would it be to have them wake up find out that its all been an experiment and do a series where they are put back in the real world and have to deal with normal lives again?

It could show how they cope and maybe even have a twist like the machines have messed with thier heads so much they all lose grip on reality and the 'others' who were really the team looking after them have to come and get them before they all go insane.

Something really mental like that would make lost worth the whole three seasons of frustration.

Leah J. Utas
04-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Last night's episode was finally one worth watching. That Juliet was planted was obvious from the beginning, but at least we now know it.

T. Knight, I like your theory. I thought something similar back in the first season. Last season I still thought it occasionally and decided it was all Hurley's fevered imagination. This season I'm not so sure, but at least Lost is worth watching again.

katiemac
04-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Last night's episode was finally one worth watching. That Juliet was planted was obvious from the beginning, but at least we now know it.

Unless Juliet is only pretending to go along with Ben.

rhymegirl
04-12-2007, 10:37 PM
I was disappointed that Sayid didn't "interrogate" Juliette. He is one of the only ones who is right on the ball, not trusting people. He was right about Ben. When his buddies were being nice to Ben, Sayid didn't trust him and beat him up. He has good instincts about people. Jack is being an idiot.

davids
04-12-2007, 10:39 PM

Yah but the worst thing of all is when I found out that Romeo was a drag queen-lost for ever-Oh the humanity

mdin
04-12-2007, 10:45 PM
T Knight--

That's an interesting theory, but if all that is true, how does it explain that one scene when the hatch imploded on itself, and they panned out across the ocean to that ship floating there with the psychic dude's girlfriend and the other scientist guys. Are they in the virtual world too?

I also noticed there's a bunch of people from HBO shows on there, not just Deadwood.

MattW
04-13-2007, 01:15 AM
(anyone notice that a lot of "Deadwood" gals show up on here?)All we need is Trixie.

MattW
04-13-2007, 01:22 AM
T Knight--

That's an interesting theory, but if all that is true, how does it explain that one scene when the hatch imploded on itself, and they panned out across the ocean to that ship floating there with the psychic dude's girlfriend and the other scientist guys. Are they in the virtual world too?
I think there are a lot of theories that involves dreams, purgatory, psychotic episodes, or hallucinations because that is what people are used to in television writing. Something absurd, fantastical or unbelievable happens, and hacks would tie Zeus to a crane and be done with it.

My hope is that Lost goes beyond that and assumes that our world can contain things that cannot be explained: boys with ESP, an island that cannot be found and that heals people but kills mothers, a floating smoke that can kill, visions of dead people, appearances of lost relatives, EMP sources buried in the ground.

PattiTheWicked
04-13-2007, 01:27 AM
All we need is Trixie.

Trixie was on last season. She was with the Others on the boat, and got shot and died.

clockwork
04-17-2007, 04:25 PM
I think there are a lot of theories that involves dreams, purgatory, psychotic episodes, or hallucinations because that is what people are used to in television writing. Something absurd, fantastical or unbelievable happens, and hacks would tie Zeus to a crane and be done with it.

I have read several articles in which the writers confirm that any other-worldly explanations (it's a dream/alternate reality/they're all dead etc) are not true. According to them, these people are on a real island and the show will end (one day) with those people getting off the island.

At the end of season 2, beginning of season 3, I thought the show was losing it's way but some of the more recent season 3 episodes have been carefully planned - Ben's line about, "Guess I'm out of the book club," finally got its meaning last week, for example.

I agree with an earlier post about the ridculous amount of restraint imposed on the characters by the writers. The Losties encounter someone they've never met before and hardly ever think to ask them questions. It's quite absurd really.

High hopes for the remaining episodes but getting myself ready for frustration and the invetiable influx of new survivors from the wing section, cargo hold and overhead bins.

BottomlessCup
04-18-2007, 09:48 PM
I agree with an earlier post about the ridculous amount of restraint imposed on the characters by the writers. The Losties encounter someone they've never met before and hardly ever think to ask them questions. It's quite absurd really.

That's the one thing that consistently pisses me off about the show.

I'm willing to suspend disbelief for all the crazy wacked-out stuff that happens, but the idea that the survivors would have that much contact with the Others and never say, "Okay. What the f*** is going on with this island?" is totally BS. That, I'm not willing to believe.

When they do ask questions, they get some half-ass answer, and just let it go. "It's a security system." "Oh, ok." Wtf?

All the Deadwood actors show up because Elizabeth Sarnoff is a producer on both shows. Which gives us the tantalizing possibility that Ian McShane will be on at some point. How awesome would it have been if McShane had been cast as Ben?

PattiTheWicked
04-18-2007, 09:50 PM
All the Deadwood actors show up because Elizabeth Sarnoff is a producer on both shows. Which gives us the tantalizing possibility that Ian McShane will be on at some point. How awesome would it have been if McShane had been cast as Ben?

Oooh. That would be cool. I keep hoping I'll see W. Earl Brown (Dan Dority) show up as one of the Others.

kristie911
04-19-2007, 07:38 AM
Loved tonights episode. Of course, I can never get enough of Desmond...I think it's the accent. Or maybe it's because he's so damned hot without a shirt! :)

PattiTheWicked
04-19-2007, 05:52 PM
W00t!

Now THAT was an episode worth watching. The very first minute had me going ohmygoddidthatreallyjusthappen? And I spent the whole REST of the episode on pins and needles wondering how things would end.

And shirtless Desmond is always worth tuning in for. This is so much better than "let's sneak up on Kate and have her fall down again".

rhymegirl
04-20-2007, 02:22 AM
I knew it must be just a vision Desmond was having about Charlie.

PattiTheWicked
04-20-2007, 03:05 AM
Charlie will die eventually. It's nice that Desmond tries to prevent it, but it's not worth the effort. Someone's gonna die this season, and it'll probably be Charlie. At least, that's what the writers WANT us to think.

ChaosTitan
04-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Actually, I heard that five more people are going to die this season. Dunno if they'll be guest stars, regulars, or semi-regulars, though.

*bites nails*

PattiTheWicked
04-20-2007, 04:26 PM
It's kind of hard to care when a peripheral character gets killed off, unless it's really spectacular (think Arzt in Season 1). Like when the whole Nikki/Paolo thing went down, I wasn't sad at all, in fact I was kind of pleased because they had shown up all of a sudden on the show, and we were supposed to think they'd been there the whole time. A character who is introduced just to be cannon fodder doesn't count when they actually die.

I'd be sad if someone I found likeable died -- Hurley, Sun, Sawyer, Rose or Bernard....

but would be pleasantly surprised if someone annoying (Kate, Jack, Claire, Kate, Juliet, did I mention Kate?) bit the farm.

The writers WANT us to think Charlie's next, but I'd be surprised if it really is.

If they really want to make people sit up and scream ohmygodtheydidNOTjustdothat, they'll kill off someone who's super-popular.

Like Jack.

katiemac
04-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Did anybody else notice the photograph of Brother Campbell and his wife (?) in the last scene, when he talks to Desmond?

PattiTheWicked
04-20-2007, 06:36 PM
YES! It's the jewelry shop lady. I tried to tell my daughter that but she's like "There's no way you could see who it was because it was only onscreen for a split second."

It was totally her though.

ChaosTitan
04-20-2007, 06:55 PM
The writers WANT us to think Charlie's next, but I'd be surprised if it really is.

If they really want to make people sit up and scream ohmygodtheydidNOTjustdothat, they'll kill off someone who's super-popular.

I agree, but I doubt it will be Jack. Maybe sometime late next year, since it's rumored to be the final season, but I doubt right now. Not unless they finish dealing with his rather complicated backstory (and why his dad was seen out of coffin and roaming the jungle back in first season).

It would be neat if they killed of Claire. Talk about Charlie angst. "Desmond should have let me die. The island took Claire instead. Woe is me....*sobs*"

clockwork
04-20-2007, 06:57 PM
I thought this was a bit of a nothing episode to be honest. I knew it was a vision and I knew Desmond would save Charlie (99% at least.) I thought Desmond's flashback was tedious and the B-story was again, sort of... meh.

It has potential - for example, maybe Desmond will think that had he NOT saved Charlie, it would have been Penny in the parachute. Maybe he'll give up on trying to save him.

I was surprised by the ending but for the wrong reason. I was like, "Waa? What's Nessa doing on the Lost island? Scouting a new casino?" :D

This also marked the first episode in which a regular asked an outsider a question that, in reality, would have been asked within nanoseconds of meeting that person.

Charlie (to Desmond about Penny) So how did you manage to leave her behind and come here?

Desmond (in an ideal world) I'm part of the Dharma Initiative. I first came to this island in 2002...

Desmond (in the show) Because I'm a coward.

Oh, eff off and give us a break. :rolleyes:

Toothpaste
04-21-2007, 08:40 AM
I guess I'm one of the few pepole who are enjoying the show still. I actually got bored season one, and got into season two, and then when they introduced Ben and Juliet I was hooked again (I just think they are very strong actors, and I love manipulative evil people- what can I say). And I do have faith that the screenwriters know what they are doing. I think it's a bit JK Rowling, a heck of a lot is planned out, but there are things that are made up as well. I have seen them interviewed and they insist they don't want to jump the shark. And they do provide answers to some questions, but also more questions.

The Nikki/Paolo episode was interesting. While on the one hand it had absolutely nothing to do with anything, and really I think just a way to get rid of two actors they changed their minds on casting, at the same time as an episode in and of itself, it was pretty well written and tight. And I must confess disturbed me greatly.

I miss Locke though, I hope we see him again soon. (and yes Desmond sans shirt, always a good thing!)

kristie911
04-21-2007, 05:25 PM
I guess I'm one of the few pepole who are enjoying the show still.

You're not completely alone! I'm completely hooked still.

Maybe it comes from watching years of the X-Files but I don't mind all the questions without answers.

ChaosTitan
04-21-2007, 07:58 PM
I have enjoyed the post-hiatus episodes more than I did the entire last season. Some of the energy is back, and they aren't focusing as much on the hatch. It's slowly getting back onto my Must Watch list.

And I don't mind questions without answers as long as we eventually get some freaking answers! My biggest gripe with the X-Files is that they didn't know when to just stop. The series shouldn't have gone past Season Seven. After that many years of building, building, building, it was really impossible to not be let down by the final seasons (even though I love Robert Patrick). They raised the bar too high.

It's why I hope that next year is Lost's last. In a mainstream show (like Lost started out as) you can't tease the audience too long before they start to give up and leave. Judging by Lost's big drop in ratings this year, that's precisely what's happening.

MattW
04-23-2007, 05:23 PM
Lost is a show that should only go for a few seasons total. I'm sure that next season will be the last, but it was still a stretch for the writers to get there without bringing in extraneous characters.

Too often a network will pull the trigger on a show before it gets rolling, or will milk every last dollar out of a franchise if they can.

I don't see producers adopting what seems common in other countries - the fixed length series. Allows internal more consistency and a defined arc, and a clear end. Doesn't work for sitcoms, but I don't know why there aren't more dramas like this on US TV.

Toothpaste
04-23-2007, 06:39 PM
In the UK one season of shows is actually only 6 episodes, and they work more like a mini-series, as in all six sort of work together. This is why for example the original The Office, even though it ran for two seasons, is actually only 12 episodes. I like this method because what it means is, you run a show for its 6 episodes, then you replace it with another new show and on and on. Rarely did I ever see re-runs in the UK. Pretty neat system, allowing for a lot of creative possiblities.

ChaosTitan
04-23-2007, 07:16 PM
I don't see producers adopting what seems common in other countries - the fixed length series. Allows internal more consistency and a defined arc, and a clear end. Doesn't work for sitcoms, but I don't know why there aren't more dramas like this on US TV.

A few networks have tried this, to mixed results.

TNT aired a limited series called "The Grid" a few years ago. I don't recall how long it ran, but it did fairly well, and it was always advertised as a limited series.

Major networks that have tried this haven't done as well. "The Black Donnellys" was meant to be a limited series replacement (while Studio 60 took a short break), but NBC stopped airing the show before it completed the run. The same thing happened a few years ago with "Kingdom Hospital."

I like the idea of limited run series, but it seems networks can't commit to those any better than they can commit to regular-length series.

Siddow
04-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Ya'll wanna see something funny?

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3616/1404/400/blog%20001.0.jpg

Yeah, baby, from our HS yearbook! Circa 1986.

Toothpaste
04-23-2007, 08:51 PM
That . . . is . . . awesome!!!!

(and you went to high school with Sawyer!!!?!?)

Did you hear there was a very rumour rumour that he might be cast as Gambit in the fourth X-Men? I mean, probably not gonna happen, but man he would be perfect!

rhymegirl
04-26-2007, 02:01 AM
Lost is on tonight! Woohoo!

Ha ha! Funny picture of Josh Holloway.

PattiTheWicked
04-26-2007, 02:03 AM
I'd have done him in high school.

rhymegirl
04-26-2007, 02:08 AM
How old would that make him, about 38 or so???????

PattiTheWicked
04-26-2007, 02:42 AM
Want to see something really fun? Watch for the purse thief near the end.

Aerosmith: Crazy (http://www.singingfool.com/default.asp?frame=/musicvideo.asp%3FpublishedId%3D204628)

rhymegirl
04-26-2007, 02:52 AM
I can't open that on my computer. I am using Safari.

MattW
04-26-2007, 03:22 AM
Did you hear there was a very rumour rumour that he might be cast as Gambit in the fourth X-Men? I mean, probably not gonna happen, but man he would be perfect!Not Harry Connick Jr?

PattiTheWicked
04-26-2007, 04:27 PM
So what did everyone think of last night's episode? I actually liked it -- it wasn't overly edge-of-the-seat exciting, but I was happy for Sun when we saw her have the ultrasound. I think the Sun/Jin love story is beautiful, and I love watching the scenes of the two of them in Korea. And Sun had some serious ass-kicker lines last night, especially that last little tidbit she delivered to the blackmailer. She also showed serious nads in the conversation with her father.

Desmond probably should have taken off his shirt to help the girl who fell from the sky -- don't know if she'd have felt better, but I sure would have.

We (my daughter and I) have gotten to where any time Desmond, Sawyer or Sayid are onscreen trying to solve a problem, one of us says, "If you took off your shirt, that would fix it!"

kristie911
04-26-2007, 10:27 PM
I enjoyed last nights episode...but what's with the dead people coming back?

I don't want to give away who but wtf...he was dead.

PattiTheWicked
04-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Yeah, but "dead on the island" isn't the same as "really dead."

And just for a fun "howboutdat," I was watching a Season 1 episode of Highlander, and saw the same guy in a guest role.

I was like, "Dude! He's on Lost!"

And as a young man, he's a dead ringer for my ex husband.

Gravity
04-27-2007, 01:59 AM
How about this? Maybe when the fence supposedly zapped him, the eyepatch guy just did that Alka Seltzer in his mouth, "mad dog! mad dog!" thing we learned in junior high school. He shook a few times, dropped to the ground, and then after Locke and crew wandered away, got back up.

MattW
04-27-2007, 05:53 PM
If the island heals things so well, why doesn't he have two eyes? Is that why he left his glass eye in the cave - a new one was growing in?

chartreuse
04-29-2007, 11:28 PM
The island doesn't seem to be able to heal everything. It didn't heal Boone or Shannon, or Ben.

Anyway, glad to have found this thread! The show has ups and downs as far as quality, but overall it is IMHO, the best thing on TV right now.

I loved the part at the end where the girl that parachuted down said that they had found flight 815 and everyone was dead. I'm guessing that what they found was a duplicate plane with a bunch of charred, unrecognizable bodies. I've always felt that the people on the plane, with their many intertwining connections in their back stories and the way "the numbers" kept coming up in their lives, were meant to be on that plane. I think they may be part of an ongoing experiment that they are only aware of subconsciously. They could have all had the suggestion planted years ago to be on the particular flight.

Anyway, after the last episode I started thinking that maybe the plane wasn't supposed to crash at all, maybe it was just supposed to land on the island, but Desmond got in the way. The duplicate plane with the bodies was "planted" in order to end speculation about what happened.

FatTire
04-30-2007, 04:54 AM
If you'd like to know what the girl whispered in Portuguese while she was being fixed up, I've written it in white below. I don't want to spoil anything for those that do not want to know. Not even sure if it is a spoiler. But just in case.

{She said that she was not alone!}

Writer2011
04-30-2007, 05:48 AM
I've all but stopped watching it...They have too many darn flashbacks, which I know is integral to the story but still..enough is enough-- All insterest has been LOST for me

kristie911
04-30-2007, 06:31 AM
That whole thing with her saying the plane had been found and there were no survivors really threw me for a loop. I refuse to believe the whole "they're in purgetory" theory. But if that's what it really is...I'm going to be SO pissed! :)

Joe270
04-30-2007, 06:33 AM
I watched Saturday Night Live last night, it was a repeat from about a month back. At any rate, on the "Update" sketch, the news announcer said:

"ABC announced today that they were picking up Lost for another year, to which the show's writers responded 'oh, damn'."

chartreuse
05-01-2007, 12:17 AM
That whole thing with her saying the plane had been found and there were no survivors really threw me for a loop. I refuse to believe the whole "they're in purgetory" theory. But if that's what it really is...I'm going to be SO pissed! :)

The writers have stated many times that the people from Flight 815 are not dead and are not in purgatory. As I said above, I think we'll find out that the plane that was found was just "planted" by TPTB. A crashed plane that appears to be Flight 815 with a bunch of burned bodies would be the easiest way to squelch speculation.

BTW, y'all might want to check out this website. Turns out that the Oceanic crash was quite "useful" to the Hanso Foundation:

http://www.hansoair.org

katiemac
05-03-2007, 02:04 AM
How about this? Maybe when the fence supposedly zapped him, the eyepatch guy just did that Alka Seltzer in his mouth, "mad dog! mad dog!" thing we learned in junior high school. He shook a few times, dropped to the ground, and then after Locke and crew wandered away, got back up.

I kind of figured the first time around when he "died" that it was fake. Think about it, the perimeter was surrounded by the barriers, but there were no bodies lying around -- animals, birds, nothing to suggest that they were deadly. I doubt the others came around and cleaned up every now and again.

That whole thing with her saying the plane had been found and there were no survivors really threw me for a loop. I refuse to believe the whole "they're in purgetory" theory. But if that's what it really is...I'm going to be SO pissed!

I always thought the idea about Desmond bringing down the plane when he didn't push the button was a red herring -- I thought the "crash" was planned from the beginning, but then the electromagnetism or whatever was unexpected.

Anyway, my reasoning for all that was, if you look closely in season 2 at one of the Dharma videos, one of the scientists is Greg Grunberg in a fake beard. Grunberg (now on Heroes) was the pilot of Oceanic 815 who died in the first episode. So, now that they're saying "there are no survivors" I figured it's part of a bigger setup.

katiemac
05-03-2007, 02:06 AM
BTW, y'all might want to check out this website. Turns out that the Oceanic crash was quite "useful" to the Hanso Foundation:

http://www.hansoair.org

That's interesting. I only skimmed, but the site says there were "several bizzare plane disappearances" in 2004, aka the year the oceanic flight took off.

clockwork
05-03-2007, 02:45 AM
Not many episodes left this season. D'ya think... anything will happen before that?

Toothpaste
05-03-2007, 03:18 AM
Yes. In fact because there are so few episodes left they are surely about to drop a bombshell that will get us to come back for season 4.

Not that I need it personally, even when things get dull action wise, I still think the actual filming and acting and interplay between characters are all really strong and just enjoy watching that too.

clockwork
05-03-2007, 03:24 AM
What do you think's going to happen? Or what do you want to see happen?

scarletpeaches
05-03-2007, 03:25 AM
I would like to see Sawyer walk about without a shirt on, please. :)

clockwork
05-03-2007, 03:32 AM
Oh what do you - follow me around or something?! ;)

Toothpaste
05-03-2007, 03:39 AM
I don't really know what I would like to see happen. I really truly love being suprised by the show. As such I guess I hope it is some revelation (not necessarily the big one) that I totally wasn't expecting. Yeah I know, not much of a wish, but because anything can happen on this island I find it harder and harder to be really suprised. I was surprised with the whole everybody was found dead on the plane though. So I guess they still have it in them. So yes, I want a really big amazing shocker. Possibly this plot point is somehow aided by Sawyer walking around topless . . .

clockwork
05-03-2007, 03:42 AM
I would like to see...

Something to force the Losties and the Others together. Like a new threat or a new group of people that are even more evil than what's come before.

I'd also like to see Jack show a little bit more interest in where the corpse of his dead father has gone. This is the biggest, nagging detail that's bugged me from the start. Wouldn't you want to find it?

rhymegirl
05-03-2007, 03:48 AM
AND...

they have never talked about Michael and Walt, have they?
Did they get away? Or are they still going around in circles?

kristie911
05-03-2007, 07:06 AM
Wow. That's all I can say about tonight's episode. I feel like they're starting to work towards something big...I can't wait to see the rest of the season!

PattiTheWicked
05-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Wow indeed. And I'm glad it played out the way it did, rather than having him be the kinder, gentler Sawyer that we've been seeing for a while. And as always, the interplay between Benry and Locke was stellar.

I cannot WAIT to see what happens when Sawyer plays the tape for the gang on the beach.

scarletpeaches
05-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Oh what do you - follow me around or something?! ;)

This is an important discussion.

Behold! Exhibit A. I shall leave PattiTheWicked to explain this one. Well, once she's finished drooling of course.

Ladies, I give you:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/doriangrayspictures/Sawyer.jpg

PattiTheWicked
05-03-2007, 05:04 PM
My god.

As you can see, he's thinking quite intently while he sweats over that giant stalk of bamboo (which of course is symbolic of his... erm... yeah). Know what's going through his mind right now? He's saying to himself, "I'm gonna give PattiTheWicked this big ol' piece of bamboo, cuz it'll make her real happy."

And I'm pretty sure there's something in there about him wanting to roll around in the sand with me too.

scarletpeaches
05-03-2007, 05:05 PM
I think I speak for all of us when I say "Ding dong!" ;)

ChaosTitan
05-03-2007, 07:08 PM
While I'll be first in line to hand Josh Holloway his Emmy Award for last night's performance, I found the big "revelation" about "Tom Sawyer" quite underwhelming. I figured that out way back when we saw Locke's first kidney-stealing-daddy flashback. Con man. 'Nuff said. My big issue was *when* they'd connect the dots.

I had started to dislike Locke around the end of last season. Now, for what he did to Sawyer, I despise him. Coward, coward, coward. Maybe Locke didn't do the strangling, but he's just as much a murderer for his part in the death.

Did anyone else want to smack Jack upside the head last night? He didn't even seem concerned when Kate told him that the others didn't trust him, because of his friendship with Juliet. Grrr. And what was it that Juliet wanted to tell Kate? Hmmm? If it turns out that Juliet is pregnant (by Jack or whomever) and that's why she's suddenly interested in helping Ben again, I'm going to throw something at my TV set.

kristie911
05-03-2007, 07:36 PM
I seriously wanted to smack the crap out of Jack last night...he's being a complete asshole (pardon my language but he is!). I used to like him so much and now he's just turned into a complete jerk. Totally unconcerned with his fellow Losties...he's completely wrapped up in Juliet. I'm really curious as to what will happen next week when Sawyer plays the tape for everyone at camp. I hope they string her and Jack up by their thumbs...him for trusting her and her just for being an Other.

As for Locke...I was completely disgusted with what he did last night to Sawyer. You're right, coward, coward, coward. But I am glad that Sawyer killed Locke's dad, maybe it will leave him a bit less tortured.

But who doesn't love a tortured hero. :)

PattiTheWicked
05-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Yep, this episode was a good'un. But like any good episode, it just makes me ask more questions:

Is Kate pregnant? What's the secret that Jack and Juliet have? How is Naomi going to use the sat phone to get them off the island? Will Sun die? When will Charlie die? Why was it so important to Benry that Locke kill his dad? What the hell did Rousseau need the dynamite for? Could we have a scene where Desmond, Sayid and Sawyer are ALL shirtless so I can use it as a screensaver?

And can we rename the show "Everybody Hates Jack"?

clockwork
05-03-2007, 09:28 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/doriangrayspictures/Sawyer.jpg

Sorry ladies. Sawyer's head, someone else's body.

PattiTheWicked
05-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Chris, is that really you in the picture! You are SMOKIN'!!!

:)

katiemac
05-03-2007, 09:55 PM
While I'll be first in line to hand Josh Holloway his Emmy Award for last night's performance, I found the big "revelation" about "Tom Sawyer" quite underwhelming. I figured that out way back when we saw Locke's first kidney-stealing-daddy flashback. Con man. 'Nuff said. My big issue was *when* they'd connect the dots.

I was thouroughly impressied with Josh Holloway last night -- unbelievable performance, really. I don't think anyone was surprised Locke's father was the real Sawyer, but the way Holloway dealt with the revelation (and tramping after Locke in the woods) was great.

Did anyone else want to smack Jack upside the head last night? He didn't even seem concerned when Kate told him that the others didn't trust him, because of his friendship with Juliet. Grrr.

Jack's planning something. I don't buy that he's being manipulated by Juliet, but I still can't be sure if she's trying to manipulate all of them.

As for Locke...I was completely disgusted with what he did last night to Sawyer. You're right, coward, coward, coward. But I am glad that Sawyer killed Locke's dad, maybe it will leave him a bit less tortured.

Less tortured? Holy hell, that murder is going to ruin him. Just as he was coming around (a big point many fans complained about) -- he's done something so self-destructive it'll be awhile before he comes back from it.

PattiTheWicked
05-03-2007, 09:57 PM
That's okay. When Kate eventually dumps him to run back into Jack's arms, I'll be here to console him.

And I'm wondering when someone's going to find out he banged AnaLucia in the woods before she got killed?

Serenity
05-03-2007, 09:57 PM
Hmmm? If it turns out that Juliet is pregnant (by Jack or whomever) and that's why she's suddenly interested in helping Ben again, I'm going to throw something at my TV set.

Well, pick something soft, because I'm not buying you a new one! :D

I too was rolling my eyes more often than not last night. Although if Sawyer wants some TLC... I'm there for him.

katiemac
05-03-2007, 10:32 PM
And I'm wondering when someone's going to find out he banged AnaLucia in the woods before she got killed?

He told Jack about it.

PattiTheWicked
05-03-2007, 10:41 PM
For those of you who need to catch up: http://www.abcmedianet.com/web/progcal/dispDNR.aspx?id=043007_13

PattiTheWicked
05-03-2007, 10:42 PM
He told Jack about it.

Did he? Somehow, I've blocked that, but now that I think about it you may be right.

Well, since Jack is a pansy he'll tell Juliet, who will promptly tell Kate, who will stomp her feet, cry, fall down, and then tell Sawyer she totally never ever wants to see him again.

And then he's mine. Muahahaha.

laurenem6
05-04-2007, 12:57 AM
Oo Oo! *jumps up and down* I want to smack Jack! Can I do it, please?

Okay, really, he is being such an idiot lately and becoming an unlikely character. Locke too.

And I really wasn't surprised at all about Locke's father being the original Sawyer. But Tom Sawyer? Okay, that made me laugh.

ETA: I remember the conversation he had witch Jack about Ana Lucia. And as I recall, it was hilarious, although I don't remember why. Just the bluntness of it, I think.

scarletpeaches
05-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Sorry ladies. Sawyer's head, someone else's body.

I don't care. :e2brows: That photo's in my Bibbers folder. :D

BottomlessCup
05-04-2007, 04:21 AM
If they actually deliver a series finale that resolves every mystery in the show's past without conflicting with anything we've seen, it'll have to be ten hours long, will require degrees in mythology and quantum physics to understand, and will be the greatest intellectual feat in the history of mankind.

mdin
05-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Oh for crissakes.

Someone post some Yunjin Kim pictures. This thread is a sausage fest.

MattW
05-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Would you believe that there's more pictures of Jin shirtless than of Sun anyway?

Hazelnut
05-05-2007, 12:49 AM
I LOVE LOST! i think it can be saved. i think it just has bad eposodes and good eposodes.

PattiTheWicked
05-05-2007, 01:58 AM
Oh for crissakes.

Someone post some Yunjin Kim pictures. This thread is a sausage fest.

Darn right it is. I need an hour of man-candy each Wednesday or I start getting twitchy.

But Yunjin Kim is lovely, so this is for you:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/06/22/susan_narrowweb__200x294.jpg

clockwork
05-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Typical Lost conversation:

Hurely: Hey Locke, would you like a glass of water?

Locke: It's not my place to tell you whether I want a glass of water, Hurley.

Hurley: Dude, wassthatmean?

Locke: It means, you're not really asking me about water.

Hurley: Soooo... what am I asking about?

Locke: That's for you to find out.

Hurley: Dude, I was just trying to be nice.

Locke: Maybe it's time you took a different path. Before it's too late.

*Locke wanders off into the jungle*

Bit of a disjointed episode, IMO. Just as it was starting to get good (Kate tells Jack about the phone, Locke and Sawyer's heart-to-heart) it ended abruptly.

I'm glad people are starting to see Jack as a bit of a jackass. I've really disliked his character since season two. He seems to have an air of superiority about him which rubs me the wrong way and whenever it's his turn for flashbacks, I find them very tedious.

Onward to the finale.

laurenem6
05-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Oh yeah. I've never really liked Jack. And I agree that the episode did end rather abruptly, but I guess we should be used to that by now, right?

And that conversation is hilarious and right on! Ha ha ha!

FatTire
05-05-2007, 09:07 PM
ABC is set to announce in a few weeks that Lost will end after 2 more seasons. It will also start season 4 in January and run straight through without any repeats, ala 24.

This is good news. It will allow the writers to start closing up storylines and resolve some of the mysteries.

ChaosTitan
05-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Darn. I was hoping for one more season and then a nice tidy finale.

Hmm...

rhymegirl
05-05-2007, 09:23 PM
I really enjoyed the latest installment of Lost.

I think it was one of the best ones they've done in a long time.

And I must say that I do like Jack, but I don't like the way he's been acting lately. Maybe Juliet put a spell on him. :)

rhymegirl
05-05-2007, 09:36 PM
It doesn't seem as if anyone has brought up something important they talked about in the latest episode.

Even though the producers of the show insist that the characters are indeed alive.....

Everything is pointing towards them being dead, being in hell.

The real Sawyer, Locke's father, mentioned that he was driving on the highway and the next thing he knew (sounds like he got into a big car accident) he was THERE, tied up in a chair. Sawyer, or James, said, "You mean you were here on the island?" The guy laughs and says something like, "Island? You think that's where we are?" His implication is that all of them are dead, and are in hell. The other things that point to that conclusion: Some of them were told that their plane crashed and the wreckage was found and there were no survivors. Plus, if you think about most of their personal stories, most of them have done something BAD that might make them end up in hell. James has killed a man, now 2 men, Kate killed her stepfather by burning the house, Jin worked for Sun's father, going around beating people up or worse, Sun cheated on her husband, Charlie killed Ethan, Michael killed two of the women on the island, Sayid tortured people, etc.

PattiTheWicked
05-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah, but the writers have repeatedly responded to that theory, saying the characters are not dead or in purgatory.

My theory is that they're part of a science experiement being run by the Dharma Initiatiave -- sort of like Biodome, but in the middle of the ocean. We haven't seen Walt and Michael again because when we do, they'll tell us they got to the end of the earth or something, and were forced to come back to the island.

And all the people who were on flight 815 were selected. Even Desmond was "brought" there, because we saw in flashabcks that he's connected to Charlie.

The question is, who selected them? Because when Juliet and Benry watched the plane come in, he ordered his people to find out who was on board, and build files on them immediately.

I think Desmond should take off his shirt and think about this a while.

clockwork
05-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Neat article about loose ends sure to irritate--

http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/745/745595p1.html

(some of which have since been expanded upon since its publication back in November)

laurenem6
05-06-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm at least encouraged to know that 5-10 of those questions have been answered since it was written. Maybe that's a good sign?

FatTire
05-08-2007, 04:35 AM
3 more seasons of 16 episodes each. All will run without repeats starting in Jan of '08, '09 and '10.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/article/urn:newsml:tv.reuters.com:20070507:lost_dc__ER:1

This irks me. But only because I want more than a 16 episode season. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

laurenem6
05-08-2007, 04:58 AM
I think I'd rather have two longer seasons than three shorter ones.

chartreuse
05-08-2007, 05:05 AM
3 more seasons of 16 episodes each. All will run without repeats starting in Jan of '08, '09 and '10.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/article/urn:newsml:tv.reuters.com:20070507:lost_dc__ER:1

This irks me. But only because I want more than a 16 episode season. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

That is just not, not, not okay with me.

I knew that the show couldn't continue indefinitely, but stretching 48 episodes out over three seasons, well, it's a con Sawyer would be proud of.

24 episodes per season for two more seasons would be far fairer to the viewer - with this schedule you'll have just under 4 months of new episodes each year and then 8 months with nothing. My guess is that by season 5 they are going to see viewership shrink to almost nothing. After 8 months I can guarantee you I will not remember the ins and outs of what happened before.

Toothpaste
05-08-2007, 05:24 AM
It is an annoying schedule, but I have to say I am thrilled that they have an end point. It gives me much confidence in the writers, and also makes all the other statements that they have said previously about the show ring more true. They have always insisted they didn't want to jump the shark and it looks like they were telling the truth. Awesome.

MattW
05-08-2007, 05:33 AM
Looking for models of how to run good shows into the ground, its seems Lost is heading down the Sopranos path of slow, debilitating demise due to viewer apathy.

As opposed to the Fox model of schedule shuffling and outright cancellation at the merest hint of success.

katiemac
05-08-2007, 08:00 AM
24 episodes per season for two more seasons would be far fairer to the viewer - with this schedule you'll have just under 4 months of new episodes each year and then 8 months with nothing. My guess is that by season 5 they are going to see viewership shrink to almost nothing. After 8 months I can guarantee you I will not remember the ins and outs of what happened before.

Yep, this is pretty annoying. Last I heard, the creators felt they could wrap up in one more season, 4, so I've been waiting for that announcement. Now that they've stretched it to essentially 2 more, but it will unravel over 3 more years, I don't know what to expect. If they want 48 more episodes, what's the point of stretching it out?

My-Immortal
05-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Yep, this is pretty annoying. Last I heard, the creators felt they could wrap up in one more season, 4, so I've been waiting for that announcement. Now that they've stretched it to essentially 2 more, but it will unravel over 3 more years, I don't know what to expect. If they want 48 more episodes, what's the point of stretching it out?

DVD sales? 3 more seasons means 3 more DVD "Seasons" to sell at $50-$60 a pop--and you know a lot of the die-hard fans are going to buy the previous seasons so as to keep track of all the ongoing stories before the next season starts...

I'll wait til it's all done and start watching it again. (I've watched the first season and really enjoyed the story....but from what I've read about the series lately is tons more questions without many answers -- reminds me of Alias...lots of buildup and questions without a lot of payoffs...and then when they decided to end the show they wrapped it up pretty quick).

Take care -

Legionsynch
05-09-2007, 07:24 PM
I heard that sometime in December, the show runners (Carleton and Cuse) wanted to wrap in two seasons of 48 episodes. I think their contracts were up this year, so in order to resign ABC agreed.

My guess is that ABC pushed for 3 16 episode seasons for the simple fact of advertising revenue that they can sell over three years instead of two. And also the fact that they can still hopefully claim 12-15 million viewers per episode in ratings.

ChaosTitan
05-10-2007, 07:05 AM
:eek: Okay, I admit it. I didn't see the end coming.

And they get points for casting Jon Gries (The Pretender) and Doug Hutchison (The Green Mile, among other things) as Dharma people. Unfortunately, I must also subtract a point for Samantha Mathis. She just...erg.

With every answer we get more questions. :Headbang:

Rolling Thunder
05-10-2007, 07:07 AM
I.Hate.Flashbacks.

laurenem6
05-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Okay, the entire time I was thinking "this episode is pointless." The only thing it did is tell us that Ben was lying about being born on the island. And I don't think Locke is going to bite it just yet. We still don't know why he's not paralyzed, so they've got to keep him around a bit longer.

So did Jacob exist or not? I'm gonna go with no.

kristie911
05-10-2007, 07:38 AM
There was something there...whether it was "Jacob" or something Ben cooked up is debatable but the episode definitely kept me hooked and saying "WTF?!" more than once! Loved it.

I can't believe Ben shot John, though we did hear several people are going to die before the end of the season...but I can't fathom they'd kill of Locke...there's too much left unanswered with him.

I can't wait until next week!!!

PattiTheWicked
05-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Holy crap. That episode kicked ass.

Which is impressive, since there was no Desmond at all, and very little Sayid or Sawyer (and no shirts coming off, either).

I love Benry, and the kid who played him as a child was fabulous.

The Jacob scene had me practically peeing in my pants.

dragonjax
05-10-2007, 07:47 AM
There was a person sitting in the chair, perhaps with a cat on his/her shoulder. (We replayed it in slow motion; there was definitely a person there.)

dragonjax
05-10-2007, 07:49 AM
I love Benry, and the kid who played him as a child was fabulous.

I kept thinking Tim Hunter from The Books of Magic. (Comic book series.) You know, minus the British accent. And, um, magic.

PattiTheWicked
05-10-2007, 03:57 PM
There was a person sitting in the chair, perhaps with a cat on his/her shoulder. (We replayed it in slow motion; there was definitely a person there.)

See, I thought I saw something there during one of the flashes, but I couldn't tell. Curses on Insight Cable and my lack of Tivo.

Leah J. Utas
05-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Young Ben was awfully Harry Potteresque.
And who is to say Locke has really bought it? I don't think so. If the island can heal paralysis, then it ought to take care of a gun shot that doesn't have to be fatal.
Thanks for the slow motion tip, drajonjax.

Susan Gable
05-10-2007, 05:29 PM
I agree that 3 more years is just too damn long to wait, especially with them giving us a measely 16 episodes per year. They're going to lose their audience by the end. (Oh, I'll just wait for the season to come out on DVD and watch it all at once.)

I don't understand why these tv execs don't understand "out of sight (on hiatus), out of mind." Not to mention that teasing us for 5 years is pretty evil.

Still, at least there IS an end point so we won't be left dangling, wondering. (Like Jerico - season finale last night a complete cliff-hanger, and I hear it might be cancelled. <sigh>)

Last night's episode -- I think Locke will heal from the bullet wound. And I do think there was someone (thing?) in that chair/room, but I didn't see anything. I didn't think to back my DVR up and look closely. I should have.

Interesting that the Others killed all the Dharma people.

Do you trust Juliet and Jack? I think that's one thing I do like about this show -- it keeps you so off-balance. Good guy or bad guy? There are no black-and-whites on this show -- it's all shades of gray.

Susan G.

cray
05-10-2007, 06:20 PM
check this link -- about 1/2 way down the page there are some screenshots of "Jacob"

http://losteastereggs.blogspot.com/

Toothpaste
05-10-2007, 06:20 PM
There SO was someone in the chair, I know because I practically lept out of mine in shock when I saw it, totally freaked me out. The whole episode was insanely creepy, loved it!! I think the big thing is that Ben can't actually hear Jacob, he pretends, so he got real mad when Locke did. And yes, I think Locke will survive, I was surprised Ben didn't just shoot him again in the head or something. Still that was also a huge shock when he shot him in the first place.

And dude?! Just how old is that hot Other dude (you know the actor who used to be on Suddenly Susan), he hasn't aged at all since he first met the little Harry Potter Ben.

Loved LOVED this episode! Partially probably because the actor who plays Ben is AMAZING. Also love Locke. Just really darn strong!

cray
05-10-2007, 06:21 PM
oh, and below those screen shots you can click to see the readers comments.

PattiTheWicked
05-10-2007, 06:43 PM
And dude?! Just how old is that hot Other dude (you know the actor who used to be on Suddenly Susan), he hasn't aged at all since he first met the little Harry Potter Ben.

I wondered about that too. There's got to be some meaning to the fact that Richard (and yes, he's definitely hot) appears not to be aging -- if he did age like everyone else, they'd have gotten another actor to play him 25 years ago when Benry looked like Harry Potter.

When Richard showed Sawyer's file to Locke in the previous episode (The Brig), whose orders was he acting on? Jacob's maybe? What are the whispers in the jungle? And why the hell can't WE see Jacob? Will Locke die, or will the island save him? What is the gray powder around the perimeter of Jacob's place? And why was there a photo of a creepy dog in the hut? And what happened to Annie -- did she die with the rest of the Dharma people, or is she lurking in the woods somewhere?

GaaahhhhhH!

::brain implodes:::

THIS is what makes a great episode.

kristie911
05-10-2007, 08:13 PM
OMG, Patti, you came up with WAY more than I thought of. I wonder if Jacob could be behind the whispers in the jungle. It never occured to me that maybe Ben can't hear Jacob or maybe he just thinks he's the only one that can hear him and that's why he was mad...? I did notice that Richard didn't age (for some reason it occured to me while I was sleeping and I woke up with the thought in my head!)

You're right...it's too much to wrap my brain around! I'm re-watching the episode right now because I was at work and a little busy last night when it was on...and I know I missed some stuff.

PattiTheWicked
05-10-2007, 08:27 PM
And I think we're all overlooking the most important issue of all, from last night's episode.
What happened to the bunny?

:)

dragonjax
05-10-2007, 10:04 PM
What happened to the bunny?

Rabbit stew, anyone?

katiemac
05-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Yes, Jacob exists -- he was in the chair. If you freeze the screen right after Ben gets thrown against the wall, you'll catch it.

Highlight if you want to know who he looks like: Locke.

laurenem6
05-11-2007, 07:38 AM
A better question is why was Jacob invisible at one point and visible for those few flashing seconds?

kristie911
05-11-2007, 01:43 PM
OMG, Katie! I thought the same thing! But I figured if I said that's who he looked like people would think I was crazy. :D

PattiTheWicked
05-11-2007, 03:55 PM
I thought so too, but the producers have said that Jacob is "someone we haven't seen before." I have some theories, though, about how that might be true and yet he still may be the Person He Looks Like. Perhaps there's some sort of time warp/wormhole/glitch in the matrix on the island, connected to the magnetic shift caused when Locke didn't push the button -- the whispers are actually people who are either not there yet or have already been there... an auditory version of the Jacob scene. And baby Aaron will grow up to be someone very important to the story indeed... I'm just not sure who yet.

The fact that hottie Richard doesn't age just adds fuel to this idea... remember when Benry asked him "You remember birthdays, don't you?" Richard is waaaaaay older than anyone thinks.

Oh my gawd. What if RICHARD is actually the key to the island, not Locke or Benry after all?

A pox upon Cuse/Lindelof for making my brain work so hard. I'll have a completely different theory by next week.

dragonjax
05-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Hold the phone.

Is Richard the one who approached Young Ben all those years ago?

PattiTheWicked
05-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Yep, that was him that snuck up on little Harry Potter-looking Benry in the woods -- he was one of the "Hostiles" that took over the original Dharma Initiative. And he looks exactly the same now.

There is more to Richard than we are being told.

FatTire
05-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Did anyone else find it interesting that when Locke was beating the heck out of Mikial and Ben asked for assitance, nobody moved?

MattW
05-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Did anyone else find it interesting that when Locke was beating the heck out of Mikial and Ben asked for assitance, nobody moved?
Not really. They probably find Mikial just as annoying as I do.

ETA - Going over the episode w/ Tivo to see Jacob

Toothpaste
05-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Well Ben is in for some serious trouble. Obviously John is like the messiah or something, and everyone totally reveres him, so Ben's got some jealousy issues. And now that he shot him . . . I dunno, I smell a mutiny.

FatTire
05-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Well Ben is in for some serious trouble. Obviously John is like the messiah or something, and everyone totally reveres him, so Ben's got some jealousy issues. And now that he shot him . . . I dunno, I smell a mutiny.

I think Jacob will heal Locke and a new battle for power will begin.

pconsidine
05-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Perhaps a little bit of history repeating? Locke returns to the castaways and leads them in a new purge?

Hmmmm...

clockwork
05-12-2007, 12:56 AM
If you wanted Locke dead and had the balls enough to shoot him in a mass grave, wouldn't you unload the entire clip into him? Stuff like that annoys me. Ben shoots him once in the gut and wanders off with him still alive. :rolleyes:

I like a bit of finality to my homicides.

dragonjax
05-12-2007, 01:20 AM
If you wanted Locke dead and had the balls enough to shoot him in a mass grave, wouldn't you unload the entire clip into him? Stuff like that annoys me. Ben shoots him once in the gut and wanders off with him still alive. :rolleyes:

I like a bit of finality to my homicides.

I literally yelled at my television set: THE HEAD! SHOOT HIM IN THE HEAD TOO! But no, Ben wussed out. Sheesh.

Unless Ben wanted Locke to suffer greatly before he died; gut shots are supposed to be a particularly horrible way to die.

PATTI: Thanks for confirming that was Richard. Curiouser and curiouser.

And Benny didn't really heal fast until John showed up. Hmm.

What I want to know is: What was the purpose of the D-Initiative, on THAT island?

And when does the crew of The Black Rock fit in? The Hostiles took baby Alex...what, 16 years ago? And Danielle said that all of her crew went mad -- or was it, got sick?

Whoever said the voices are from the future--or the past--I agree with you.

clockwork
05-12-2007, 01:48 AM
I literally yelled at my television set: THE HEAD! SHOOT HIM IN THE HEAD TOO! But no, Ben wussed out. Sheesh.

Unless Ben wanted Locke to suffer greatly before he died; gut shots are supposed to be a particularly horrible way to die.

I believe I said (out loud and by myself, no less) "Finish him!"

I tend to root for the bad guys at the oddest times.

Can I offer this watered-down version of events just to get my head straight? And please correct me if you notice something astray.

Black Rock washes up on the island.
The hostiles (assuming they aren't indigenous) show up at some point.
Dharma dudes show up.
Hostiles make themselves known.
Ben joins hostiles and wipes out the Dharma dudes.
Ben and his cronies establish a new colony.
Juliette (and others presumably) come to the island at different times.
Oceanic 815 crashes on the island.
Losties meet the Others.Which brings us (roughly) current.

awatkins
05-12-2007, 02:41 AM
Black Rock washes up on the island. But isn't the Black Rock in the jungle, miles from the beach?

aarrgghhh....my brain hurts.

clockwork
05-12-2007, 02:49 AM
Hm... maybe a tsunami washed it in. Or it grew there. :Shrug:

MattW
05-12-2007, 02:52 AM
Mined from lostpedia.com timeline (contains stuff from other sources than the show):

Indeterminate time in past
* The statue and ruins are built.

* Shipwreck of the Black Rock. (The Lost Experience)

1940s
* Adam and Eve most likely arrive on the Island in this decade, according to Jack's estimate (based on clothing degradation).

1970s
* The DHARMA Initiative is created (according to the Swan Orientation Film). ("Orientation")
* The Swan Station was built. (Secrets From the Hatch)
* "The Incident" occurs "not long after the experiments began". ("Orientation")
* Ben and Roger Linus arrive on the island with the DHARMA Initiative. Ben meets Richard Alpert, a member of the "hostiles," and eventually starts to work with them. ("The Man Behind the Curtain")

* The orientation films for the Swan and the Pearl are produced. ("Orientation")

* Hanso Foundation funding of the DHARMA Initiative ends, as per the Hugh McIntyre interview. The truth of this is uncertain. (The Lost Experience)
* Likely date for the Purge, as Ben did not have Alex with him at the time of it. "The Man Behind the Curtain"

* Sam Toomey and Leonard Simms hear the Numbers being broadcast without encryption while stationed in the South Pacific. ("Numbers")
* Danielle Rousseau and her crew run aground on the Island after hearing the Numbers transmission. ("Solitary")
* Danielle is trapped at a location near the Black Rock by a "he" or "it" who has "killed them all".("Pilot, Part 2")
* Danielle replaces the Numbers broadcast with a repeating transmission in French. ("Pilot, Part 2")
* All of the science crew are killed by Danielle. ("Solitary")
* Alexandra Rousseau is born and taken by the Others a week later. ("Solitary")

* Mikhail Bakunin claims to have arrived at the island. (11 years before "Enter 77")
* If Mikhail Bakunin was a witness to The Purge (unclear), it would have had to have taken place in or after this year. ("Enter 77")

* Desmond arrives on the Island and begins pushing the button with Kelvin Joe Inman. ("Live Together, Die Alone")
* September 5th Juliet arrives on the island.

* Kelvin begins repairing boat, leaving Desmond alone in the Hatch. ("Live Together, Die Alone")

July 2004
* Ben told Sayid he arrived on the Island by hot air balloon on this date. Later, this is found to be a lie, however, it may still be based on the date that the real Henry Gale arrived on the Island. ("One of Them")

September 22nd
* After leaving the Swan, Kelvin is secretly followed by Desmond all the way to the cove. He finds his boat docked there, still in one piece. A fight ensues between the two men and Desmond accidentally kills (assumed, status unknown) Kelvin. Desmond rips the fail-safe key off of Kelvin's neck and rushes back to the station but before he can make it back, the timer reaches zero, resulting in the first system failure. ("Live Together, Die Alone")
* 13:00 GMT - Eight hours after takeoff, Flight 815 nears the Island and encounters turbulence induced from the electromagnetic energy underneath the Swan overflowing due to the system failure. This eventually causes the plane to break up over the Island. This is roughly 03:00 local time on the morning of September 22, since the plane has crossed the International Date Line. This timeline does not correspond well with the daylight at the time of the crash or the time stamp in the log printout.("Exodus, Part 1")

clockwork
05-12-2007, 03:05 AM
I like mine better. It's less nerdy.

Thanks Matt, that was damn detailed. :)

PattiTheWicked
05-12-2007, 03:10 AM
IUnless Ben wanted Locke to suffer greatly before he died; gut shots are supposed to be a particularly horrible way to die.

Well, you know, it COULD have been fatal... except Locke is missing a kidney.

That, and the whole "used to be paralyzed but not on the island" thingie makes me think Locke ain't really dead.

Not yet.

ETA -- Oh, and I want to see Kelvin back, because Clancy Brown is one bad ass dude.

small axe
05-12-2007, 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by dragonjax http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1327288#post1327288)

I only watched it live, but didn't Ben shoot Locke and then ask him questions? So I doubt shooting Locke is meant to kill Locke, it's another "test" of Locke.

Now, does Ben want Locke to "fail" his tests (like telling Locke to kill his father while everyone watches, but we're told that was Ben only wanting Locke to be humiliated in front of everyone) or "pass" them?

Ben seems to honestly want to explore Locke's unique connection with the Island, right? He thinks Locke has Powers. But obviously Ben feared sharing Jacob with anyone, including Locke ...

hmmm.

"LOST" has definitely saved itself, for the past several episodes!

dragonjax
05-12-2007, 04:42 AM
Matt...

Dude, I bow at your virtual feet.

:Hail:

katiemac
05-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I figured pretty much the same thing -- Ben shooting Locke is a test, either for Locke or Jacob, or maybe Ben himself.

Now I'm wondering, though, if Ben isn't wrong thinking Locke is the one everybody needs. Ben killed his daddy, then wanted Locke to kill HIS daddy. Ben was astonished that, somehow, Locke drew is father to the island (which, as an aside, I'm not so sure I believe).

Although I don't go with the purgatory theory, there is proof that dead people can exist on the island. In what kind of form, I'm not quite sure, but -- Ecko's brother and now Ben's mother are large hints toward this, even if Ecko's brother was Smokey.

Anyway, Locke's father seemed to be under the impression that he was dead. So, the Others could have brought him to the island after he crashed in that accident, John drew him there, or he really WAS dead. And Ben is interested in Locke because he has the ability to communicate with a ("dead"?) parent, much like Ben himself was able to -- and Richard starting showing extraordinary interest in young Ben when he discovered this information.

EXCEPT we know there's another character who's been able to do this all along ... so what if Ben shouldn't be as interested in Locke as he should be in Jack? Plus, if Jacob is dead/timewarped/SOMETHING that makes only Ben be able to see him ... if Locke shares that unnatural ability, shouldn't Locke see Jacob, too? Which he does, a little, but he seems to work at it longer.

Long story short, I wonder if Jack might have the ability to see Jacob immediately? And he's the one Ben is actually looking for?

PattiTheWicked
05-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Katie, I think you're on the riight track about Jack. After all, we already knew Jack could take a paralized person and make them walk again, long before he operated on Benry.

Jack's being kind of a tool with the whole Juliet deal going on, but we're going to find out he's very much needed by the island. Remember his one tattoo says, "He walks amongst us but is not one of us.” I'd say that covers it in a nutshell.

MattW
05-12-2007, 09:14 PM
I've got it!

They crashed on the Island of Misfit Toys and Locke's dad came out of the Charlie in a Box.

dragonjax
05-13-2007, 04:11 AM
I've got it!

They crashed on the Island of Misfit Toys and Locke's dad came out of the Charlie in a Box.

:ROFL:

laurenem6
05-17-2007, 07:10 AM
Wow, okay, that was a great episode, no?

katiemac
05-17-2007, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure how many more "Charlie is going to die" episodes I can take. I mean, don't get me wrong, liked this new episode... but I'm started to feel cheated every time he doesn't die. I don't WANT him to die, but this entire episode was hinged on his fate, which we didn't see pan out.

Did anyone else think it was a little silly to use dynamite to blow up that tree? Poor Danielle has been carting stuff back and forth for days, and she could have cut down on half the danger if they didn't have a demonstration before the big show.

laurenem6
05-17-2007, 08:43 AM
I knew Charlie wasn't going to die just BECAUSE they spent the whole episode with him thinking he was going to die. Sheesh. But I'm thinking this will put an end to Desmond's little visions. Unless Charlie gets killed by those women in the underwater hatch.

mdin
05-17-2007, 10:49 AM
I think Charlie's a goner. I suspect he's going to sink the station and drown, just like in the vision. But I don't know if that's going to happen next week or during sweeps of next season.

The blonde girl in the hatch is actress Tracy Middendorf. She's been in a ton of stuff, but usually as a guest star. I don't think she's been on the show before.

MattW
05-17-2007, 03:11 PM
I think Charlie's a goner. I suspect he's going to sink the station and drown, just like in the vision. But I don't know if that's going to happen next week or during sweeps of next season.

The blonde girl in the hatch is actress Tracy Middendorf. She's been in a ton of stuff, but usually as a guest star. I don't think she's been on the show before.But the other woman was never in focus. She's gotta be somebody we know.

PattiTheWicked
05-17-2007, 04:02 PM
I thought the same thing -- who's the dark haired woman? Maybe Benry's childhood sweetheart, Annie? We never saw her body when the rest of the Dharma folks got killed.

And although I thought as a whole the episode was very well done (and I loved Charlie's list), as a viewer I felt cheated at the end. I spent all that time getting emotionally invested in Charlie kicking the bucket -- because we've known he was going to die for a WHILE -- and then it ended with him grinning at a couple of gun-totin' mamas.

And Desmond never did take his damn shirt off.

cray
05-17-2007, 05:14 PM
yea, i felt the episode last night was just OK. i wouldn't call it a 'filler' but it was allllll set up for next week.

and while we're commenting on the hotties,...
ben's 'daughter' (i forget her name right now) is smokin'

kristie911
05-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Last night was good, but like Cray said, it was all set up for next week.

And we still don't know if Locke is dead...that's bugging me!

BTW...Ben's daughter is Alex.

PattiTheWicked
05-17-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm looking forward to the episode when Alex finds herself face to face with Rousseau.

ETA: Oh, and since every other damn episode gives me a dozen new questions to ask...

I was really glad to see Rose and Bernard back because I love them, but Bernard said not to worry, nothing will happen to him. Does that mean Bernard will die? And the chick Charlie rescued in the alley -- was that Nadia, Sayid's woman? And where the hell is Locke? And I'm glad Jack finally showed us what he's been up to, but why is Rousseau doing all the work with explosives -- can't someone help her cart that stuff around? Is Kate pregnant? I still don't trust Juliet -- maybe she'll die so Jack can hook back up wtih Kate. How come no one mentions the numbers anymore? Will Charlie die next week? They've got 120 minutes to kill him.

:::sigh:::

At least I know what happened to Benry's rabbit.

Shadow_Ferret
05-17-2007, 08:44 PM
I accidently watched the last few minutes of Lost last night and I got to wondering... How come nobody has any real tans? You think living all that time in the tropics they'd all have dark, dark George Hamilton tans.

laurenem6
05-17-2007, 08:55 PM
And the chick Charlie rescued in the alley -- was that Nadia, Sayid's woman?

I was actually wondering that myself. Interesting if it was...

And in next week's preview, we see Jack telling Kate he loves her??? That's what I saw, anyway, although it really wasn't clear who he was saying it to.

PattiTheWicked
05-17-2007, 09:05 PM
I accidently watched the last few minutes of Lost last night and I got to wondering... How come nobody has any real tans? You think living all that time in the tropics they'd all have dark, dark George Hamilton tans.

Yep. I also wonder how come they've been on that island eating fish and coconuts for three months and Hurley hasn't lost any weight at all.

And how come none of the women have hairy legs yet? Heck, if I was stranded on an island I'd be freakin' REJOICING that I had an excuse not to shave mine.

"Sorry, guys, call me gorillagirl but we're outta Nair!"

kristie911
05-17-2007, 09:11 PM
They did raid all the luggage so I'm sure the girls have some razors but at some point they'll get dull and everyone will have lots of nicks and cuts. :)

SHIT...where'd I miss what happened to the rabbit?

PattiTheWicked
05-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Well, it probably wasn't the SAME rabbit... but it was a white bunny nonetheless.

Rewind back to the part where Benry hands Alex her gun. She's preparing something to take into the woods for Karl.

Toothpaste
05-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Enjoyed it and was so happy Charlie didn't die, I was crying like a baby when he dove into the water. I still was mad at him for being so loud when he survived though, "Shut up you idiot! Anyone could be down there!" . . . and lo and behold . .

Alex is great. I remember the actress from Malcolm in the Middle, she's really strong and they should use her more. Though I mean she's not Ben's daughter, because well we know they can't have babies on that there island.

Say I have a question, what did Ben say to her just before he got them to go and hunt down the survivors? I flipped teh channel and only came back when he turned away from her.

mdin
05-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Yes, the girl in the alley was Nadia.

I just spent some time on IMBD, and they list all the actors, including the two girls in the hatch. At first I thought the other, blurry brunette was Cassidy aka Joanie Stubbs aka Sawyer's girlfriend. But she's not listed. I believe it's the actress Lana Parilla, who played Sarah on 24. She hasn't been on yet, either.

MattW
05-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Good detective work Nav.

katiemac
05-18-2007, 01:24 AM
I'm think Bernard's a goner. Haven't seen them all season, then they bring them back before the finale? It's just like Artz, Nikki/Paulo stuff. Gar.

rhymegirl
05-18-2007, 02:36 AM
Yep. I also wonder how come they've been on that island eating fish and coconuts for three months and Hurley hasn't lost any weight at all.

I was wondering this too, until I mentioned it to my sisters. They said, "Remember that the Dharma people dropped down some food for everybody." Plus, there was all that food from the hatch. Hurley was in charge of the food. I thought he had stashed a bunch of food somewhere for himself.

And how come none of the women have hairy legs yet? Heck, if I was stranded on an island I'd be freakin' REJOICING that I had an excuse not to shave mine.

This is also something I've pondered. And what do they do if they have their period? No tampax and such on the island. Fig leaves?

MattW
05-18-2007, 02:52 AM
Except for Paolo, no one has gone to the bathroom either.

They must have might colons and bladders.

rhymegirl
05-18-2007, 03:05 AM
Except for Paolo, no one has gone to the bathroom either.

They must have might colons and bladders.

Well, actually one week Sawyer told Kate, "I have to go take a whiz" or something to that effect, and he walked over to a tree. Then Locke showed up and interrupted him.

But apparently the women never have to tinkle.

And what about the other thing? Any toilet paper on that island?

PattiTheWicked
05-18-2007, 06:38 AM
Um. There was an episode in the first season where Hurley is gathering leaves. Jack tells him, "You can't eat those."

Hurley says he's not going to eat them, he needs them for... well, he's been eating a lot of roughage on the island.

So we know that at least Hurley poops.

kristie911
05-18-2007, 06:56 AM
I'd prefer they just keep that all a secret...I don't need to see them headed off to the woods to take care of their personal "needs". I'm perfectly happy to suspend belief in this case. Hairy legs and armpits, bowel movements and urinating. TMI if you ask me. :)

Grizzly
05-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Couldn't they have just cut the power line in half?

Oh well, swimming down to an underwater hatch to flip a switch is more exciting.

dragonjax
05-18-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm really getting annoyed by how all of the Losties had connections to each other (the six-degrees of separation thing) before the Island. I sincerely hope there will be a reason for it, instead of it being a "oh how cool are we" thing.

rhymegirl
05-18-2007, 05:38 PM
I think Locke will still be alive.

If he could survive falling out a window and miraculously went from being paralyzed to being able to walk, he must be special indeed.

Special enough to come back to life or just not die in the first place.

PattiTheWicked
05-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Oh, I'm fascinated by the connections between all the Losties. Me and my daughter actually tried to chart it once, and we got so turned around and confused that we gave up. The one connection that was never really elaborated on was how Libby was in the mental hospital at the same time as Hurley, and I really wanted to hear more about that, but then she went and died. Locke's mom was in the same mental hospital.

And are Locke and Benry somehow related? Both of them had a mom named Emily.... which in the real world would be mere coincidence, but on Lost there's no such thing.

dragonjax
05-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Libby was the woman who sold Desmond the boat that got him to the Island.

As for Locke, I'm convinced he is Jacob.

And I will absolutely cheer if the show explains the connections between everyone. But if there's no real reason for having, say, Jack and Claire being related (without their knowledge) or Locke's dad being the one responsible for Sawyer's dad shooting his mother and then himself, then I will be very, very pissed. Like someone said, there's no such thing as coincidence in the show. Therefore, it better all be explained. Or...or I'll be pissed, damn it!

kristie911
05-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Oh, I'm fascinated by the connections between all the Losties.

And are Locke and Benry somehow related? Both of them had a mom named Emily.... which in the real world would be mere coincidence, but on Lost there's no such thing.

I love all the connections too!

You guys pay way more attention than I do...I miss a lot of these connections and people in the flashbacks. Maybe I should start paying better attention. I didn't realize both Locke's mom and Benry's mom had the same first name. Did we ever see Locke's mom? Because we definitely saw Ben's. I can't remember!

katiemac
05-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Their mothers were played by different actresses.

Saint Fool
05-24-2007, 07:05 AM
???????????????????????

WHAT!!!!!!!

I am utterly bewildered.

Rolling Thunder
05-24-2007, 07:07 AM
I hate the flashbacks. The flash forwards are even worse.

laurenem6
05-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Well, we know Jack and Kate survive... not like there was any doubt (for me at least). I'm guessing Kate winds up with Sawyer.

Any speculation as to who the dead person was (that no one went to their funeral)? I'm going to say Ben.

It was awesome when Hurley drove over that guy. Way to save the day! Great seeing Walt again (he got old). And I guess Desmond's visions were right... *sigh* poor Charlie.

Who do you think is on the boat?

MattW
05-24-2007, 07:16 AM
The funeral was for Sawyer. Who else would Kate be mad at?

ETA - It could be Ben...

Thinking of the next seasons, will there be more present time stuff? Like a continuing search?

PattiTheWicked
05-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Holy cow.

I don't even know what to say/

Except that the part where Sayid snapped that guy's neck was probably the coolest Sayid move ever.

MattW
05-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Except that the part where Sayid snapped that guy's neck was probably the coolest Sayid move ever.True! Killing machine.

Sawyer killing Tom was believable, but sad for Sawyer. You can see he is drifting away from the group, and from being a good person.

Leah J. Utas
05-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Okay, help me out. In the flash forward Jack tells the other doctor to check his dad and "if he's as drunk as I am" etc. What's his dad doing alive in this alleged future?

Loved Hurley's use of the van. Sawyer shooting Tom was logical and the right thing to do.

I know nothing about grenades. Can they really explode underwater?

Legionsynch
05-24-2007, 04:19 PM
The doctor kinda looked at Jack like he was crazy, so I'm wondering if they both knew Christian really was dead. Jack was a mess and a half through the flash forwards.

rhymegirl
05-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Well, we know Jack and Kate survive... not like there was any doubt (for me at least). I'm guessing Kate winds up with Sawyer.

Any speculation as to who the dead person was (that no one went to their funeral)? I'm going to say Ben.

It was awesome when Hurley drove over that guy. Way to save the day! Great seeing Walt again (he got old). And I guess Desmond's visions were right... *sigh* poor Charlie.

Who do you think is on the boat?

I had a problem with them showing Walt for plausibility. In real life, three years have gone by since the series started. So, if the actor started out at say age 10, he'd be 13 now, hence the change in appearance and voice.

But....they are only supposed to have been on the island for about 3 months, right? Certainly less than a year. So logically, the boy can't age that fast. They should have gotten a different actor to play Walt.

Or....maybe it will turn out that Walt has special powers, or they gave him some kind of drug and he aged quickly????

Vincent
05-24-2007, 04:44 PM
I know nothing about grenades. Can they really explode underwater?

Yes. People have been known to go fishing with them.

cray
05-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Yes. People have been known to go fishing with them.

true, attaching the hook is the tricky part

Jack Nog
05-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Let me throw out this theory for everyone.

LOST took a turn and showed flash forwards for the first time according to the media...this is actually untrue...

LOST has flash forward before...for only one character...Desmond.

All of Jacks 'Flashes' last night were really Desmonds future seeing power...it's the possibility of what 'Could' happen.

I dunno, we'll see I guess.

dragonjax
05-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Jury's out on this one.

The flash forward (to the alternate future? who knows) really didn't work for me. Sure, kudos for the writers doing something new, but as a hook it didn't reel me in. That being said, I'm guessing that Kate is with Sawyer ("He'll be wondering where I am") and that the funeral was Locke's.

Ah, I'm in this for the long haul. Only 48 episodes (and three. freaking. years.) left, so there will be a conclusion. I'm just wondering whether the payoff in the end will be worth all the invested time.

And yeah, I liked Charlie. Alas.

But you know, a musician programmed the code. And I'm still convinced that Jacob is Locke. And the voices in the jungle...There's a future/past connection here, I'm sure. Charlie himself programmed the code. You'll see.

I miss the evil monster that ate people.

And the polar bear.

dragonjax
05-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Let me throw out this theory for everyone.

LOST took a turn and showed flash forwards for the first time according to the media...this is actually untrue...

LOST has flash forward before...for only one character...Desmond.

All of Jacks 'Flashes' last night were really Desmonds future seeing power...it's the possibility of what 'Could' happen.

I dunno, we'll see I guess.

Interesting. The only problem is that the flashes were intimately connected to Jack -- the camera focused on him, not on Desmond, before each flash.

But...considering that Dessie is the Merlin of the group and knows how things will happen, what's to stop him from knowing how they already happened? Maybe this is ALL through Desmond's eyes. And the last episode, we'll see Desmond in an insane asylum (maybe even Hurley and Libby's asylum), and this was all a figment of his imagination, a la St. Elsewhere.

(Check back in, three years from now. See if I was right.)

laurenem6
05-24-2007, 07:17 PM
I had a problem with them showing Walt for plausibility. In real life, three years have gone by since the series started. So, if the actor started out at say age 10, he'd be 13 now, hence the change in appearance and voice.

But....they are only supposed to have been on the island for about 3 months, right? Certainly less than a year. So logically, the boy can't age that fast. They should have gotten a different actor to play Walt.

Or....maybe it will turn out that Walt has special powers, or they gave him some kind of drug and he aged quickly????

I didn't really mind that much about Walt. He was already starting to age last time we saw him. I'm glad they didn't get a new actor for him. He didn't age all that much that it was jarring. I think the audience understands that the actor aged and the character didn't.

But then again, kids sometimes do grow up really fast.

pconsidine
05-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Someone elsewhere online posited the idea that it was actually a future version of Walt come back to keep Locke on the right path. After all, he really did seem to be having a crisis of faith there (I guess a bullet in the gut will do that to a person).

I kinda thought the flash forward was a bit of a cheat, an artificial way to create tension by making us think that we know how it's all going to work out in the end and making us tune in to see how we get from here to there. Frankly, if that's how it really ends, I'm going to be maximally pissed off.

Is a happy ending so much to ask for anymore?

Tallymark
05-24-2007, 08:22 PM
I didn't really like the flash forward either...to be honest, I hadn't really wanted them to get off the island yet. XD Not until they'd solved all the mysteries. And I don't want the world to know about the island until they've figured it out!

I mean, plausibly I suppose that the flash forwards could've taken place way, way in the future, but then I'd still be upset that no one ended up happy.

I actually really loved this season, but damn, I really didn't like the flash forwards. ^_^;

laurenem6
05-24-2007, 08:32 PM
There are still 3 more seasons. Plenty of time to answer questions and figure it all out before they get rescued.

ETA: Although, wouldn't it be cool if they got off the island and then there were several more episodes about how people were adjusting? I think that a lot of them would probably be like Jack - wanting to go back even though they tried SO HARD to get off in the first place. It would be interesting.

Jack Nog
05-24-2007, 08:34 PM
And I don't want the world to know about the island until they've figured it out!

I'm not so sure the world does know. Didn't Jack say something to Kate how he hated lying all the time...or concealing the truth...something, I can't remember..Thank god for TIVO...watching it again.