Can LOST be saved?

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I used to be a Lost addict, but it seemed to decline from season 2 onward. The last two episodes showed some promise, however. I'm crossing my fingers for tonight. Any other reluctant Lost fans out there?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They LOST me by episode 4 or 5, when I realized it wasn't going to ever resolve anything OR make any sense whatsoever.

I don't believe for a minute these writers have a clue, they're making it up as they go along.

*feeling grumpy today*

Reaction score
Sawyer's on my wish list, though. And I saved myself the bother of watching any of it after the first episode by storing his lovely loveliness in my memory banks and calling it back up when I wanted a drool.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I still enjoy watching Lost. I agree that the last 2 shows have been good.

My sisters, however, do not like the new time slot. They say they can't stay up until 10 to watch it.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
No. The writers killed this promising series with their let's-make-it-up-as-we-go-along silliness, and will never regain my confidence. If only the writing was worthy of the likeable cast.

-Derek

Reaction score
I watched the first two episodes.

Then I realized it was going to be a bunch of hocus pocus mumbo jumbo instead of a cool Castawayish people trapped on an island/have to survive/and try and get rescued show.

I loved Gilligan's Island.

I thought a semi-realistic drama about people lost on an island would be a lot of fun.

But this isn't a semi-realistic drama.

It's a bunch of pointless, hocus pocus mumbo jumbo so I was gone quick.

Thank you.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
The problem with this season was they spent WAAAAY too much time focusing on Jack and Kate and Sawyer's Adventures in OthersLand. One of the reason the show worked so well the first two seasons is because we got to learn about ALL the people. But as yummalicious as Sawyer is, I got tired of seeing Jack looking angrily at Ben, Kate falling down or getting guns pointed at her, etc.

I'm glad we're back to the beach again.

Tonight is a Locke episode. My prediction is that we find out he got paralyzed because he was on the balcony when Hurley stepped out and made the thing collapse.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Any other reluctant Lost fans out there?

*raises hand*

I don't look forward to the series the way I did in past seasons. The mythology has gotten away from its creators. I actually preferred the mysteries of the first season (smoke creatures and polar bears and random shipwrecked boats). But all of this "it's a big research experiment run by loony toons and wack jobs" is starting to wear thin.

I'm glad they've turned the focus back around to the folks on the beach. This thing between Charlie and Desmond (hotter than Sawyer, IMHO) has kept me interested. And Ausiello's gossip column over on the TVGuide.com promises some great shockers in the final May eps.

If I'm not shocked by *something* I may not tune in next year. :Shrug:

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight is a Locke episode. My prediction is that we find out he got paralyzed because he was on the balcony when Hurley stepped out and made the thing collapse.
That was one of my thoughts too. But it felt like it was something more sinister the Others would know about, maybe something from his time in the commune.

And I can say I really like Lost becaue I watched the first 2 seasons on DVD in semi-isolation from the hype. Also cut down on the endurance necessary for tension - either scripted or schedule determined.

I thought they went past finding and destroying the communications station too fast - in only one episode!

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
***** being ****'s half-sister was a surprise, but not mind-bending.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I enjoyed the first season, but really thought they could wrap it up by season 2 and let us know what the hell is going on.

We're still not much closer to finding out what the hell is going on.

I mean, is it a psychology experiment or isn't it? What was up with the big imposion? So . . . that was all real? The hatch, the button, the "saving the world" thing?

I have to know what's going on with the island, but I've been slowing down caring about the characters' backstories. Actually, I don't care anymore. I don't want any more backstories. I just want the "now."

Then, Hurley found an old van. That was interesting, but there was no way it could have been driven. The gas would have been gone, or unusable. The battery would have been shot. But, since Hurley "believed," it ran. Yeah right.

Sigh. If I didn't want to know the secret behind Dharma and everything else, I would have stopped watching last season.

The new time slot is killer, too. 10PM on Wednesday? Come on.

allen

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Michael and Walt will probably be back. I think next season is the end, the producers don't want the story to go any further than one more season.

I thought about dropping it for now and waiting for the DVDs to finish up the series. But I liked Desmond's and Claire's recent stories, so hopefully they're steering back into better balanced episodes.

ETA: ABC is bringing it back for next season, so what I said earlier isn't relevant.

Last edited:

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Can't foget that Michael and Walt went home (hopefully) and that Desmond's old flame had the two dudes at the listening station. Add in the possibility of the birds, and you've got some external pressure to wrap it up.

My guess is the castaways find their own way of living and/or leaving and some mysteries remain unsolved.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Ever notice how almost every character has had daddy issues?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight's ep, no spoilers. Maybe I'm slipping, but I so did not see that final scene coming. Dude...

Sucks to be Locke right now.
Well. knowing the focus of the flashbacks always tie to the current storyline, I had an idea. When Ben entioned the box, I knew the end.

Finding out about Lock's "accident" was a non-event.

See - no spoilers?

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Yep, Matt, I felt the same way. As soon as I heard about the box, I told my daughter, "Ah. I bet I know how this is going to go."

And Katie -- yes, that's one of the things that's struck me from the begnining, is that each character has serious issues with their fathers. I'm trying to figure out how it's important, though, and how it connects them all. I'm still waiting for Christian Shepard to pop out of a thicket on the beach, because we just KNOW he's lurking around somewhere on the island.

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's too much of a mess to be taken seriously and not enough fun to be enjoyably bad.
The writers have lost their way. It'll take a miracle to rehab it into something that doesn't cause me to shake my head. I'll still watch, though. This season anyway.
Good point, Katiemac. They do have daddy issues.
And why are most of the characters so danged annoying?

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
The major problem for me is that I was originally arrested by it as a character-driven drama with rich themes of sin and redemption, and now it's just a make-it-up-as-you-go mystery. The flashbacks have been a real problem. They are recounting the same stories again and again in different ways, and telling us the same things we already know about the characters traits or personalities. (I thought Sayid's flashback an exception because, even though it rehashed the torture story line, it was thematically rich and emotional.) And of course we get "big mysteries" explained which are no mysteries at all--like when Jack got his tattoo and how Locke was paralyzed. Uh, no...those weren't the mysteries we were really interested in seeing explained. Saw Locke's accident coming pretty early .

However, I do feel things have picked up the last few episodes, perhaps because the pace has and it looks like there is a promising move towards answers and resolution. But I miss the Lost of season one.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
And did anyone else notice last night that Jack appears to have fresh ink on his left forearm?

And is anyone else wondering if maybe Locke's dad is the one who conned James Ford's parents out of their money -- the original "Sawyer"?

And does anyone else remember the episode with Hurley where he's meeting with an accountant in a high-rise building, and some dude goes falling past the window?

And where the hell are Michael and Walt?

Every time I think I know what's happening, i end up with more questions.

Last edited:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Jack's always had that tattoo, but I don't think we've ever gotten a clear picture of it.

And yeah, I'm pretty certain Locke's dad in the real Sawyer. But last night's episode got me thinking about Jack's dad (someone already mentioned him running around the island) appearing on the island in season 1. Was Jack seeing things, or no?