Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Hi, ladies & gents!

I'm starting on a new WIP that's going to be heavily based in magic, but with two different systems. The first one will be inherent magic---pure energy that can be transmuted by thought (think pointing a wand and turning someone into a toad.) The other will be more ritual magic that, in a way, CREATES the pure energy magic. One feeds on the other. The basis for the magic will be pre-Christian Ukrainian folklore magic. My question: Is there a CURRENT pagan or white/black magic system that exists in the Ukraine (or western Poland, Lithuania, or ancient Kievan Rus) that I can scavenge for elements of my new magical system? Someone elsewhere mentioned Strega, but I don't know much about it.

Here's the hook that sold the book, to give you an idea of what's going to happen:

Working title: Bound by Design

As I watched bloodied and powerless, Vegre, the most powerful dark mage to ever ravage the Earth, escaped through a portal to the Overworld. Nobody ever thought the magical seals that kept the human world safe from the prisoners of Rohm---evil magicians who caused the black plague---would fall. We were wrong . . . on so many levels. Magic has been short circuiting all over the underground world of Aghathia, dying just as our Tree of Life is. The warrior guards who were accompanying me to secure the prison closed the portal with their lives and now I, Talos Onan, an Overworld Intelligence agent, am trapped in the world of the humans in a location known as Colorado. My only hope is to convince a human mage to help us once more. According to our records, a young woman named Mila Penkins is a descendent of the original Ukrainian magicians who raised the gates. Unfortunately, she's not only untrained, she's completely unaware of her ties to my world save for a few fables told to her by an elder relative when she was a child. She's also unaware of the rather . . . disturbing effect she's having on me, and I plan to keep it that way since I have no intention of getting emotionally entangled with an Overworlder. But I'm certain she has the ability to save my home inside her, especially since one of the designs inscribed on her feet exactly matches the birthmark that brands me a mage. What I haven't yet determined is the role of the elaborate painted eggs she calls pysanky. She claims to create them as a "hobby" . . . but the eggs glow and sing when I walk nearby. If they speak to me, one of the lesser mages in Aghathia, then Vegre will certainly find a way to make use of them to kill us both, and turn both of our worlds into smoking wastelands.

Any thoughts or suggestions of books, websites, or articles to read would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks! :)

Deleted member 42

Strega is Italian, specifically Scillian.

The folklore and myths and religious systems of the Lituanians/Poles, and related linguistic groups are very very different from the rest of Europe, and there's not much left or in English.

If PattytheWicked is around, there used to be some knowledgeable folk on the AOL pagan forums; she might be able to help you.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
As Lisa mentioned, Stregha is specifically Italian (those of you with small children are probably familiar with Tomie DePaola's Strega Nona stories).

There's an excellent article from about twenty years ago about Bulgarian and Slavic magic and folklore -- can't remember where it appeared, but the author was a guy named Joseph Conrad from the University of Kansas.

Anyway, the interesting thing about European magic and witchcraft is that Eastern Europeans viewed it somewhat differently than their counterparts in England and France. Most of the people accused in Russian witchcraft trials during the 1600s were men, and were charged wtih making people ill so that they could collect money from them later for healing them -- in other words, it wasn't considered as bad to practice witchcraft as it was to commit fraud.

You might want to check out the info here: http://vinland.org/heathen/pagancee/ as a starting point -- this appears to be a recon group who might be able to give you some good resource material to check on. I'll see if I can find the Conrad article in my Big Box O' Clippings.

There's a writer by the name of Ceisiwr Serith who used to hang out on AOL, he's a wealth of information about Proto Indo-European religions -- you should check out his info here http://www.ceisiwrserith.com/. He's quite knowledgable and has done a few symposiums at Harvard and other places.

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Wow! This is great, guys! I'll start to print out the pages right away. Thanks! I REALLY like the "rolling eggs" part, since that's part of the plotline. :)

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cathy,
In your shoes, I would look into Lithuanian and Latvian paganism and magic. Also Russian, obviously.
Here are a couple of links...
http://www.romuva.lt
(click the British flag at the top left to see the website in English). Lithuania was the last Pagan country in Europe, and there's a decent amount of info available about its indigenous religion, Romuva.

If you can read Russian, this site might be of interest (I can barely read Russian, so I can't vouch for the quality of this site): http://www.paganism.ru/

Status
Not open for further replies.