On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Easy.

When it's been 6 months (practically to the day) that I sent a mere query. I'd written them off at New Year's.

And to top it off--it was a form reject! All I could do was chuckle.

I nearly dismissed the email as spam, too, because the sender's addy was a weird acronym for the house plus the dept.

Now, what this needs to be is a good omen for my other subs.

Right? :Sun:

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Oh totally! Make everything a good omen, I mean why not?

Maybe all publishers/agents should do what those people did and wait for so long that we've forgotten all about ever querying them in the first place. Clever ploy I think!

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
I have a few queries out there, going on four or five months now. I just know tomorrow the phone will ring with an incredible offer. Gotta be!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I have a few queries out there, going on four or five months now. I just know tomorrow the phone will ring with an incredible offer. Gotta be!

What's that current book/movie--The Secret? Isn't it one of those "visualize it as yours and poof! It's yours" thingys?

Everybody--grasp mental hands and VISUALIZE those acceptances. One--two--three--THINK!

:D

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I've gotten those non-reject rejects. Sometimes I didn't even remember I'd submitted to them. I actually got a couple after I got my galleys -- that was how long it took them to reply.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
What's that current book/movie--The Secret? Isn't it one of those "visualize it as yours and poof! It's yours" thingys?

Everybody--grasp mental hands and VISUALIZE those acceptances. One--two--three--THINK!

:D

Double pepperoni and extra cheese... double pepperoni and extra cheese... Damn, nothing.

I like to think that the bad news often comes before the really good news to make it really GREAT news. That, and the Toothfairy packs a crowbar for those stubborn incisors.

Don't despair, I believe that you'll find a home for your work. You've got a spot-on eye for detail that won't allow for weak work, and a razor wit. Those translate to talent. The problem now is finding a publisher that appreciates your talent - and doesn't take forever to tell you about it.

Pike

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I once got a rejection a whole year after I'd submitted. I'd actually forgotten I'd even submitted to the publication. In the reject, it said they probably wouldn't use my submission. I had to chuckle.

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
Actually, I'm going on 6 months now with an editor I've talked to a few times. I know she likes me. It's just she is way busy. Editors and Agents get backed up. It can be a very slow business.

Then again, there have been times when my publishers say, "oh we need the final version of your book next week."

They give us the money so they get to make the rules.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Then again, there have been times when my publishers say, "oh we need the final version of your book next week."

They give us the money so they get to make the rules.

Let me guess--then you knock yourself out to do it and they sit on the revisions for 6 more months! :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Another one! :Wha:

Sent the query (requested from a conference) end of Sept. '06.

Got a form reject (one of those that sounds personalized but really isn't) yesterday. That's 7 months. :rolleyes:

The good thing? Hooray for them--they don't buy into the "if you don't hear from us, we're not interested" school of thought. They're polite enough to say "no, thanks."

They're object lessons: I've definitely learned not to pin all my hopes on a single agent/editor. I submit and move right on.

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
Right after I was offered representation by my agent I was waiting for my contract to arrive and you know what kept arriving instead? Six to ten month old SASE's!!! What the . . .????!!

It was really weird.

I gotta tell you though, it didn't make me feel bad at all.:)

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I once got a rejection after the agent had died. The executor had gone through her mail and sent out the SASEs. That was nice in a way, but to think that agents were rejecting me from the grave was disheartening.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
On a related (but less fun) note, when is silence on a partial a rejection? I'm on the 8-10 week mark with a few and I don't know whether to status query, sit still, or write them off. I'm still querying, of course, but still . . .

Don't do anything yet. I've received both rejections and requests for material as much as a year later. After six months, however, I'd be tempted to rework the query (you probably will anyway, several times!), retitle it, and send it out to those who didn't respond.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I received a request for a partial literally two hours after I sold my book at auction.

True story.

When I wrote the agent back to tell her that the book was sold, she replied with, "Congratulations. I'm surprised your agent could sell anything in this impenetrable fiction market."

Impenetrable. She actually used that word.

Glad I didn't get that request five months earlier.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
IWhen I wrote the agent back to tell her that the book was sold, she replied with, "Congratulations. I'm surprised your agent could sell anything in this impenetrable fiction market."

Impenetrable. She actually used that word.

Glad I didn't get that request five months earlier.

Like we're not all paranoid and depressed enough. Urgh.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
On a related (but less fun) note, when is silence on a partial a rejection? I'm on the 8-10 week mark with a few and I don't know whether to status query, sit still, or write them off. I'm still querying, of course, but still . . .

Have you researched the agency's normal turn-around time or did they tell you how long it would take?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
No info available through research on their agency sites and no "this is my turnaround time" info in the requests from any of the agents in question. I'm guessing it's "no" all-around.

There's some turnaround data on some agents here, but it's rather sketchy.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
If you research the agent, there are multiple sites where writers list how long responses took from different agencies. Unless you were told "it's only going to take 4-6 weeks," 8-10 weeks sounds too soon to write it off as a non-responder to me, especially on a requested partial, and if they did tell you, "it will only take 4-6 weeks," I still wouldn't write it off as a non-response, but would send a polite follow-up.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Yes, give them some extra lag time. They're busy trying to cram all of us into their response loops. I once got a request from Prime for the whole manuscript because they loved what they had. The editor wrote glowing comments and said the book fit right into their lineup. Problem is, the book was sold a week prior to a smaller house. My lack of patience in this instance cost me a bigger deal, I'm sure.

Tri

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I once got a rejection a whole year after I'd submitted. I'd actually forgotten I'd even submitted to the publication. In the reject, it said they probably wouldn't use my submission. I had to chuckle.

Wow. What if they sent out letters saying they probably would use the ones they were interested in?

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
I got one of these about a week ago. Not so coincidentally, it was sent the last day 39 cent stamps would still be accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.