PDA

View Full Version : Password questions for Share Your Work and Other Password Forums

Shwebb
01-21-2006, 08:54 AM
You can attach an audio file that screams, "PLEASE READ!!!!!" whenever they run their arrow on it. Maybe add a horn section, too. :)

reph
01-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Can you put it in boldface?

On second thought, if boldface doesn't work for stop signs, no reason for it to work for passwords.

Fern
01-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Perhaps putting the words "password" & "vista" in red would call ones attention to it.

Shadow Otenaki
01-22-2006, 01:25 AM
Here's a thought though...
What's the use of a password if it's given away? It's like not having it there in the first place. >.>;

Birol
01-22-2006, 01:43 AM
If a forum is password protected, the work is not archived on google and lots fewer editors consider the work previously published, meaning if the forum is password protected, you aren't giving away your first rights by posting it there for critique.

As to how to get writers to actually read... Dunno.

Shadow Otenaki
01-22-2006, 02:59 AM
Ah ha.. never thought of it that way. That makes a lot of sense.
So yay, I have no worries. But then.. I have some of my stuff on fictionpress... >.>

Scott Perry
01-22-2006, 03:01 AM
Why do you even need it password protected? Doesn't having the password written RIGHT THERE kind of defeat the object of password protecting something? Did I mention the password to my email acount was treeleaves?

See, that makes NO SENSE> :p
-sc00t

awatkins
01-22-2006, 03:14 AM
It makes perfect sense. Please re-read Birol's post for the explanation.

Scott Perry
01-22-2006, 03:36 AM
Sorry didn't read the whole thread and now I feel like an idiot for not doing so. That indeed is a good point, haha.

awatkins
01-23-2006, 07:50 PM
's okay. :D

alleycat
01-24-2006, 05:16 PM
The only think I can think of is changing the wording to something like:

PLEASE NOTE: The password for this forum is: VISTA. Please enter this password when prompted.

Or maybe put a line on the actual password entry point: "For security purposes, please enter the five-letter word VISTA in the box below."

ac

brokenfingers
02-26-2006, 06:23 PM
I've discovered that the problem arises when someone clicks on a post that is linked (for example - if someone posts a story or poem, it'll come up in New Posts.) Click on the proscribed link and a screen comes up that says the administrator has decreed a password is needed.

This has stopped me a couple of times because for some reason, the cookies sometimes reset or whatever and I sometimes cant remember the password (there are two different ones and I never remember which is which)

If someone is new and not expecting this when they click on a link - it will surprise them and they will not think to look for the password, only assume they've gone somewhere they're not supposed to.

Maybe if you could put the password on the warning screen that asks for it (as I've just now seen alleycat suggested) - or maybe explain there where to find it.

JennaGlatzer
02-27-2006, 12:57 AM
I wish I knew how to do that, because it's a very good suggestion.

SomelBalance
02-27-2006, 02:00 AM
I'm brand new here... and this is my first post. But I've been lurking a while, and I saw the password thing right away. Made perfect sense to me; keeps google and robot-webcrawlers out.

For a writing/reading forum, you'd think people wouldn't mind reading a sentence or two.

ALLWritety
03-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi

I know and canplainly see and use the Vista password for show your work. However I have come across other threds where you need a password. One was citrus. I try vista/citrus but bith of these don't work!!! Do each thread that needs a password have different paswords? If so where do you ask for those passwords?

Kev

alleycat
03-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Any forum that requires a password will list the password needed in the forum header. Try again. If you still can't get in, log out, be sure your cookies are cleared, log back in and try again. And be sure you're using lowercase.

Medievalist
03-17-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi

I know and canplainly see and use the Vista password for show your work. However I have come across other threds where you need a password. One was citrus. I try vista/citrus but bith of these don't work!!! Do each thread that needs a password have different paswords? If so where do you ask for those passwords?

Kev

The Share Your Work Erotica thread does require a special password; the directions for obtaining it are "The password to this forum can ONLY be obtained via a PM request with a statement that you're over 21, to Veinglory or one of the administrators, ChunkyC or MacAllister."

Citrus is the Poetry password; it's listed right on the menu, just as Vista is for Share your work.

aruna
03-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi

Kev

I've had a lot of problems with the citrus password. Sometimes it let me in, sometimes it didn't, try as I will. I figured once that it let me in on alternative days, but then it decided to ban me permanently. I haven't tried again since then.
Vista works fine.