Status
Not open for further replies.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
So! The retreat is going to be held in...............................

...........................envelope please.....................

.......................Utah!

Now we have a location. Now, we want to know what locale you prefer. Vote thee in the poll!

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I picked mountain, but really, I'm just excited about the idea of going -- I'd go if it was held in a cardboard box on subway platform.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Very exciting! I picked mountain retreat because it's gotta be pretty if I'm coming all the way from the UK!

Even if we were in the city, the whole area's absolutely gorgeous. You won't be disappointed. Promise. :)

Petroglyph

gestating a plot
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Utah!! I had held off putting out much input cause my travel ability is sorta limited, but Utah is doable!

Hooray!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen very pretty pictures of Utah and haven't been. I picked mountain. Pretty!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Utah.

Never been there. 'Kay, I picked mountain too. Might as well have pretty. :D

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
What about the Poconos? Or Happy Sunny West Virginia..

or better yet...the wonderful, historic, scenic

LURAY CAVERNS!?!?!

yes..yes... I know Utah is most convenient to all y'alls...but as I will have to walk or hitch hike....I'm being a little 'self regionalistic'.

(SHHHH subliminal message.... Washington DC...Washington DC...Washington DC....)

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
*looks out back window at mountain*

What's so special about mountains? :Shrug:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I wish we could all afford to stay during the winter but I think 200-450 per day for lodging alone in the mountains is really not doable.

I voted for in the mountains but if the majority say city that is just fine by me.
We will be scooting this back to July because April is a bit muddy and cold in the mountains not so fun and during April, it is busy with tourists from the LDS conferences.

It is going to be great and beautiful in either location and plenty to do when you want to wander off.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Utah?!

Are there any viable cities in Utah? Aren't the drinking laws absurd?

How about. . . I dunno. . . Siberia instead?

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Utah is gorgeous...not really doable for me. But I'm easily bribed at the thought of mountains. It would be a nice 3 day drive for me. And I do like to drive. Maybe I could rent a minivan and pick up people all along the midwest...who needs to stop when you can rotate drivers for 3 days?

Okay, maybe I'll have to fly...who has good drugs? :)

Lisamer

Registered
Reaction score
There are lots of little mountain towns in Utah that offer very cheap lodging. Kanab is one of them, and it's near the best Friends Animal Sanctuary.

Another option: I have a fitness studio in Frisco Colorado that is only used for one or two hours a day. Across the street is the Hotel Frisco, a pet-friendly hotel that has a conference room:

http://www.hotelfrisco.com/meeting.htm

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Are there any viable cities in Utah? Aren't the drinking laws absurd?
There are a lot of misconceptions about Utah. It's conservative in general, but surprisingly diverse. The Mayor of Salt Lake City, for example, is a leftish Democrat who just went on national television calling for the impeachment of President Bush.

And yes, the liquor laws are a bit odd, but believe me, you can drink all you want.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I hope that you will all come to the retreat. Utah as most parts in the US can be hot in July yes...but the mountains are lovely. We aren't camping peoples :) We will be either staying at a place like Alta Lodge or somewhere in Park City.

As for those of you who want to drink, I know where the local watering holes are. :D

However, on a more serious note...this retreat is intended to expand our abilities, open new horizons and revive us from the mundane. Drinking and partying isn't the first priority of the retreat. We will be having small group discussion some of which will be led by published authors. I am working on having a personal trainer and massage therapist on hand.

As things develop PeeDee and I will be posting a thread with the activities. For those of you with travel issues I will tackle that as soon as I have the accomadations set along with our activities.

I would ask that we discuss the current poll. The location is Utah. Someone had to make that call finally and it came down to Utah or South Dakota near Mt. Rushmore. The Utah Mountains are wonderful for this sort of activity only minutes away from Salt Lake City which is conducive cutting travel costs.

Please join us in 2008! This retreat is going to rock! Hehehe...Literally it would seem. OKAY OKAY so PeeDee is better with the puns than I am...:p

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Utah is gorgeous...not really doable for me. But I'm easily bribed at the thought of mountains. It would be a nice 3 day drive for me. And I do like to drive. Maybe I could rent a minivan and pick up people all along the midwest...who needs to stop when you can rotate drivers for 3 days?

Okay, maybe I'll have to fly...who has good drugs? :)
We will have to see what a travel agent can do for every one in the way of discounts on flights. I am sure it will be alot cheaper as a group. :D No worries...it is next year :D

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
We've driven through Utah several times. I seem to remember it was fairly attractive, but we didn't stop except at some rest area on some salt flats off of I-80 near the border.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I have driven through it several times. There is one place on the interstate that I wanted to just stop and LIve, build my house on the side of the mountain, and have a little resturant right there on the road for travelers. It was amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.