Not open for further replies.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Here's an upbeat story I think most writers would like to read. Every so often, a writer posts on a board, "How old is too old to have a book published?" Mind you, this man is not pubbed by PA or any vanity press or self-publisher. He submitted queries to many agents and publishers, and finally Random House picked him up.

He's now working on a sequel.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Nice story. Publishing is a business (or art) where age does not really matter. When a publisher accepts a manuscript, they don't ask, "By the way, how old are you?"

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes being very old, or very young, can be a distinct advantage because it generates publicity. Would anyone be talking about this writer were he thrity-five?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
True. But I'm not going to read the book just because -- it has to stand on its own merit. But I agree with the publicity part, and that may help sell a few more books.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Thank you Stormie, that's awesome :)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please tell me he wasn't shopping that story around since he was 23.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
It is an interesting story, isn't it? When I first opened the newspaper this morning, I groaned, thinking, "Oh no, not another self-published author." (Our newspaper tends to promote self-pubbed authors, even giving them half-page spreads. That's nice, but....)

And actually, I should have used the term "encouraging" rather than "upbeat," but I didn't have my second cup of coffee yet. The man's wife died after they'd been married such a long time. So he turned to writing to help him through the rough times. (If you read the entire article, he did have one book pubbed awhile ago, but, as he said, it seemed to sell only one copy. And he was a writer pubbed in literary magazines, and he was an editor who actually turned down Gone With The Wind. Lost his job after that, he said.)

So, there is hope, no matter what age you are. It's ultimately: great writing, polished manuscript (void of spelling and grammatical errors), interesting story, and a little bit of luck that it lands in the right hands; the editor who says "Wow!" As he said, he was turned down by several agents and editors before Random House picked it up.

jthome1223

Registered
Reaction score
Great story, and very inspirational. It's amazing that the guy is so "with-it" at such an advanced age.

That said, it's vaguely irritating to me that Random House is promoting it as a debut novel. It's not, as clearly stated in the article. He published a novel more than 25 years ago. It just seems disingenous to take this tack -- if not out-and-out lying. I understand that it's all part of the promotional push, though, and I hope he sells a million copies.

Status
Not open for further replies.