Not open for further replies.

Penguin Queen

Break the rules.
Registered
Reaction score
Cardiff. Berlin. Mars. (One day.) Buenos Aires, so
Website
www.herrad.net
Now there've been a couple of threads in Writing Novels about writing in an acquired language, but they didnt mention writing in two (or more??) languages. Anybody here do that?

I'm German, and I write nonfoction radio scripts in German on a regular basis.
I also write in English, mostly fiction (short stories (published), a mystery novel (not yet published (I'm an optimist))) and some non-fiction.

Now, while I have no problem writing in both genres in English (Ive had a couple of short non-fiction pieces published and am working on book-length one now), I'm not sure if I could write fiction in German now. I used to (none of it got published though), but once I switched into English I never really thought about German in that way.

...oh but hang on, thats not quite right -- I had an idea for a mystery novel in German a couple years back. I havent done anything with it yet, but it's there on a back burner of my mind.
(So I guess I am ambi-dextrous, really. )

Any other polyglots about?

Last edited:

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
I am actually tri-lingual (Russian, Hebrew and English). The choice of English was partly contious one for me. Still, as I look at it now, I will probably not be able to write in Russian or Hebrew something longer than an essay. I have no idea how this happened
icon10.gif

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
I did write a kids book in Spanish and English once that was published in Costa Rica. (I was living in Costa Rica at the time.)

It was just an alphabet book, which pretty much covers my grasp of Spanish.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I can do English and German, and I learnt French and Spanish at one point but haven't used either for ages.

I would not dream of writing fiction in German. There was a time when I read everything in German, even translations of English novels, but that time is long past,. I just don't like fiction in Germany any more.
And anyway, my German is just not good enough, not nearly as good as your English. I hate having to think about what ending to put on an adjective, what gender is a noun, and having to have my work corrected.

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
My hubby's native language is Czech, but he can't write well enough for more than a short story. He just completed his novel in English, though.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I would love to be able to do some publish worthy writing in more than one language. But I'm still working on the one right now! :D

While I can't speak any other language than English fluently, I do pick up random bits from other languages very easily. Call me a parrot, if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.