US Customs and Immigration Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Post 9/11, if someone (say a jilted girlfriend) reported to Customs and Immigration that a person was living in the US illegally, and this person was not from a country antagonistic to the US and had no terrorist ties, how likely would it be that C&I would act on the tip?

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on how busy they are, and how far they have to drive to pick them up. If they are working, the possibility goes up a bit.

But they would be low priority - probably just a note in someone's file.

Edited to add: I asked the neighbor's wife, who works for INS. They don't have the bodies to arrest all the illegals they know about, so theuy conc entrate on the working ones, the criminal ones, and the hostile ones. A quiet Canadian could stay for a long time, unless he got arrested for speeding.

Last edited:

Vanatru

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on their case load already. If the person in question is known/repeat customer of theirs. What country the person is from. How much contact with local law enforcment they've had. Location where person is living and number of area agents. Etc.

The answer will vary. If you can justify why you wrote what you wrote......many different outcomes can work, even the one you want to use. :)

Sorry, I know it's vague, but that's what the INS agent over at the other camp told me.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't agree on the quiet Canadian - way before 9/11 a Canadian friend of mine who had been in the US on a student visa to get his PhD and stayed to work got himself sent back home. He was about the most unobtrusive, law abiding individual I've ever met (and was working in a discipline in which there was not a large group of American citizens equally qualified to fill the position he was in). INS treated him like the scum of the earth. Puma

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I've been exposed to some underground groups of illegal immigrants from places you wouldn't expect, doing jobs you wouldn't expect - former dentists working as dental hygenists, male strippers, rental property owner, medical technicians.

Of course, they all lived in a slum and sold drugs out of it. Not the most relaxing weekend trip I've ever had.

Most started with a student visa, or had a visit to a friend or relative with one, and never left.

Status
Not open for further replies.