PDA

View Full Version : Buffy Season 6

Bravo
03-20-2007, 09:58 PM
SPOILERS

good season, but i was severely disappointed by the survival of Dawn.

every time some creature went after her, all i could do was hope that that would be the moment she'd be wiped back into an energy ball.

PeeDee
03-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Yeah. I'm enjoying this new Angel show, too. I'm glad they're doing this spin-off!

It'd be neat of Joss Whedon did a sci-fi show someday!

FatTire
03-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Buffy, Angel and Firefly are all top shelf shows. Dawn will grow on you though.

Have you started watching Angel, yet? No character in the history of TV has had an arc as cool as Wesley's. By and far the best character development ever.

katiemac
03-21-2007, 12:17 AM
I never did like Dawn, even by the end. I think the only person I disliked more was Kennedy. But I think it was neat that by season 7 (possible spoiler?) Buffy said, put in the same situation as she was in season 5, she would let Dawn die.

Side note -- anyone pick up the Season 8 comic yet? I'm a bit wary of it, but it's Whedon, so I can't imagine it being bad.

FTJoshua
03-21-2007, 12:26 AM
GRR ARGH!!! KENNEDY! Possibly the only mistake Joss Whedon ever made. UGH. Hate that character.

PeeDee
03-21-2007, 12:36 AM
Side note -- anyone pick up the Season 8 comic yet? I'm a bit wary of it, but it's Whedon, so I can't imagine it being bad.

It's very good. Very well written. Different from Buffy, and different from Astonishing X-Men.

dpaterso
03-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Kennedy? Series 6? Grrr, arg. Focus, people. No spoilers for Bravo's sake please.

-Derek

Sage
03-21-2007, 04:37 AM
You thought the biggest problem with season 6 was Dawn's survival?

Dawn does get better in season 7. I think that's because they let her be closer to the age she was supposed to be, & she comes across more like the first season cast did. When she began as a 15-year-old, she acted & was treated much younger than 15, IMO.

(BTW, I liked Kennedy)

katiemac
03-21-2007, 04:47 AM
I remember being really disappointed with 6 overall, but I rewatched it a couple of months ago and enjoyed revisiting. At the time it aired I kept waiting for something bigger to happen -- the "boss" is three geeks?! -- and so much of the season felt to me like filler instead of the continuous storyline the rest of the seasons had.

But in retrospect it really was quite solid, with some neat twists. A lot of character development -- Xander's wedding, Willow's addiction, Giles leaving (probably another reason I was bitter), the after-effects of her death, etc. And I can appreciate human villains on a more realistic level (ice guns aside) than I did initially. Funny what expectations vs. perspective can do for a show.

kristin724
03-21-2007, 04:50 AM
I didn't like Buffy when it first came on. I started watching reruns of the later seasons then went back and saw it all. My favorite is Spike of course, but truely I think the series would have been better off ending after the musical episode. That's like the 4 ep of season 6 isn't it?

I haven't seen the show in awhile though. Luckly it looks like the dvd prices are coming down. Not that I'll get through all my other tv series any time soom, but hey. I can dream.

Sage
03-21-2007, 04:54 AM
Yes, I must admit that after season 5 (my fave), I had huge expectations for season 6 & felt let down. While many of the characters' problems that season were realistic, it was just so painful to watch week after week. There are several outstanding eps (OMWF & Tabula Rasa, for example), but overall, I just couldn't like the season.

katiemac
03-21-2007, 04:57 AM
Tabula Rasa. Really love that episode. And I think that's what season 6 came down to for me: a lot of good individual episodes, more so now that I revisited, but not an overall arc that matched what they'd done previously.

ChaosTitan
03-21-2007, 06:31 AM
Season six definitely had its ups (Musical episode!) and downs (DoubleMeat Palace, anyone?). But was there any cooler entrance than Giles at the end of the second-to-last ep, when he blasts Dark Willow through the wall?

Bravo
03-22-2007, 01:37 AM
the musical episode was fantastic one of the best of the season. i really really enjoyed the mental hospital episode, and its pretty sad and shocking that smallville blatantly ripped off it (but still couldnt get close to matching its intelligence).

overall, it was a good but like others said, depressing season.

the lack of one overall villian was slightly annoying, but it was nice to dwell on the human aspect of all this.

as for Angel, i finished season 4 of that. love that show as well.

peedee-

i actually think whedon should get into comics. i would love to see him do something w a team - he's great w mixing dialogue and action.

;)

FTJoshua
03-22-2007, 09:19 PM

yes, picked it up - yes, pretty darn good. Not the show, of course, but if you need a fix, it works fine. Certainly some new developments since the end of 7, and already a few mysteries. Definitely worth picking up!

FTJoshua
03-22-2007, 09:23 PM
But was there any cooler entrance than Giles at the end of the second-to-last ep, when he blasts Dark Willow through the wall?

Absolutely not.

Although I'd vote for best Giles moment in the last ep of season 5 as he talks to Ben. Seen that so many times, and still it chills me.

"She's a hero, you see. She's not like us."
"Us . . .?"

Eeeesh!

PeeDee
03-22-2007, 09:25 PM
peedee-

i actually think whedon should get into comics. i would love to see him do something w a team - he's great w mixing dialogue and action.

;)

Yeah, I think he'd do a great job, he'd make a really astonishing comic! We should petition him to do the Avengers!

Namatu
03-22-2007, 09:28 PM
After Buffy sacrificed herself for Dawn, only individual episodes worked for me, Tabula Rasa, Once More with Feeling. The seasons as a whole fell flat.

Never much cared for Dawn. Spike with a chip was fine at first, but Spike lurving Buffy made me want to spork out my eyes.

PeeDee
03-22-2007, 09:38 PM
The Spike & Buffy thing got weird, yeah...

Still, Season 6 wouldn't have worked even as much as it did if it weren't for Joss Whedon's writing ability. It would have been REALLY abysmal in someone else's hands.

Namatu
03-22-2007, 10:53 PM
I agree.

With the later seasons, I like to imagine that I know what they wanted to do, but failed to effectively execute in the high fashion of earlier seasons.

Stacia Kane
03-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I think he'd do a great job, he'd make a really astonishing comic! We should petition him to do the Avengers!

Oooh, oooh! He would be astonishing, wouldn't he? We should totally write to him.

Call him "Bub". I hear he likes it.

I haven't gotten to read the first issue of Season 8 yet. But I loves me some Buffy. If by "loves me some" you mean "am totally obsessed with". I even own the "Once More, With Feeling" soundtrack. And I sing along to it in the car.

ChaosTitan
03-23-2007, 12:11 AM
I even own the "Once More, With Feeling" soundtrack. And I sing along to it in the car.

Ditto. :D

Have you ever watched that episode in an auditorium full of Buffy fans, hundreds of peeps singing along with every single song? Too much fun!

Stacia Kane
03-23-2007, 12:35 AM
Ditto. :D

Have you ever watched that episode in an auditorium full of Buffy fans, hundreds of peeps singing along with every single song? Too much fun!

No! Where can I do that?!?!?!

Bravo
03-23-2007, 12:38 AM
i thought the spike/buffy thing worked.

his attempted rape was very powerful; it was a risk to have him go that far b/c he was likeable, but that's the kind of stuff that made buffy great.

very few shows push and challenge their characters the way this show did.

dclary
03-23-2007, 12:52 AM
Buffy, Angel and Firefly are all top shelf shows. Dawn will grow on you though.

No, she won't.

dclary
03-23-2007, 12:54 AM
Absolutely not.

Although I'd vote for best Giles moment in the last ep of season 5 as he talks to Ben. Seen that so many times, and still it chills me.

"She's a hero, you see. She's not like us."
"Us . . .?"

Eeeesh!

Nope. Best Giles moment ever...

"I wonder what he's doing?"

INT. SMOKY COFFEEHOUSE

Giles sits on a stool, in front of a mic, playing an accoustic guitar.

GILES
No one knows what it's like, to be the sad man...

MacAllister
03-23-2007, 01:18 AM
I have to stop reading this thread...I'm not even all the way through the season three DVDs yet...

Namatu
03-23-2007, 01:20 AM
I even own the "Once More, With Feeling" soundtrack. And I sing along to it in the car.

My friend's car radio died and any time we were going somewhere in it we'd sing the songs without any accompaniment. It was bad but we entertained ourselves. :D

Namatu
03-23-2007, 01:26 AM
Nope. Best Giles moment ever...

"I wonder what he's doing?"

INT. SMOKY COFFEEHOUSE

Giles sits on a stool, in front of a mic, playing an accoustic guitar.

GILES
No one knows what it's like, to be the sad man...
I loved that moment! :ROFL:

Namatu
03-23-2007, 01:27 AM
My favorite favorite moment though was the end of season 2. The first time I watched it, it was wrenching. So angsty and poignant and tragic and damn good storytelling.

And now I have "Where Do We Go From Here" stuck in my head.

dclary
03-23-2007, 01:46 AM
My favorite moment of the entire series is the culmination of Dark Willow, though. The fact that it was Xander who saved the universe. The heart and soul of this series and the reason why it resonates so completely with so many people is not just the characters, or the dialogue, or the stories. It's the strength of the human spirit to live, love, and survive in and through the very worst of things. Through good times and bad times, these were real people who lived and loved, and lost, and in the losing, gained so very much more.

And so did we.

MacAllister
03-23-2007, 01:55 AM
Dave, have you been playing Truth or Dare again?

ChaosTitan
03-23-2007, 02:21 AM
No! Where can I do that?!?!?!

Dunno. I did it at a SF Convention a few years ago. :tongue

CheshireCat
03-23-2007, 02:26 AM
i thought the spike/buffy thing worked.

his attempted rape was very powerful; it was a risk to have him go that far b/c he was likeable, but that's the kind of stuff that made buffy great.

very few shows push and challenge their characters the way this show did.

I know there were lots and lots and LOTS of Buffy/Angel fans who hated the Buffy/Spike relationship, but I always thought they missed the most amazing part of it.

Angel with a soul loved Buffy, no question. Soul mates and all that.
Angelus without a soul wanted to destroy her in agonizing ways that gave all of us nightmares.

Spike without a soul did horrible things, no question. Killed quite gleefully. (And with wit, so points for that.) But even before the chip made him a "neutered" vampire, even when he still had no soul and was supposed to be a total monster, there was still something in Spike that Angelus totally lacked. (I mean, besides a sense of humor.)

He was completely devoted to one woman for more than a century, even though she was totally mad, and took care of her. He had the knack of seeing through the bullshit and getting right at the truth, especially an emotional truth. He had the ability to set aside his hatred and work with an enemy toward a common goal.

And when despite what had to be every instinct and his own nature he fell for Buffy, and fell hard, he was willing to die to protect her and Dawn. (Okay, calling Dawn "Niblet" as a pet name was a bit unsettling, but some of us wouldn't have minded so much seeing Dawn -- Never mind.) He withstood torture rather than betray them to Glory. And even when the Scoobies openly despised him, he was still willing and able to work with them. Even if his main motive was impressing Buffy, or convincing her he had changed, or just to get into her pants, he nevertheless possessed the ability to overcome his instincts and a century of being a monster to try to become something different.

Without a soul, without the chip, there was something deep inside Spike, inside William, that was terribly human.

Angel's "curse" was that he was given back his soul.

Spike fought demons from hell, literally, to regain his. (I know there was some debate at the time as to whether Spike battled to regain his soul or just to get the damned chip out, but it was his deepest desire he fought for, and the demon knew what that was.)

Was Spike a nice guy? No. But he was complex and interesting and almost always a surprise. And then there was the sexy black trenchcoat, and the killer cheekbones, and did I mention the (no pun intended) biting wit?

Okay, as you may have noticed, I'm a Spike fan. I admit it. :D

And I have all seven seasons of Buffy (plus the Deluxe Edition Series Set) on DVD. And all five seasons of Angel. And Firefly and Serenity. And books.

Lots and lots of books. Including the scriptbooks.

And ... um ... three copies of the "Once More With Feeling" CD. One for the car. And one for upstairs and one for downstairs.

And I swear my life isn't nearly as sad as it sounds.

:snoopy:

Stacia Kane
03-23-2007, 10:55 AM
I totally agree. Spike put himself through hell to get his soul back, in order to be the kind of man Buffy wanted/needed...and even after he knew it wouldn't happen, when everyone else turned their backs on her he was still there.

(Love Spike, love love love.)

Namatu
03-23-2007, 05:06 PM
CheshireCat, you put that very well. I much prefer Spike at his worst (his best!), and I had serious problems with the execution of the Buffy/Spike romantic relationship. I know what the writers were trying to do with the story, but that part didn't work for me. The way you put it though, I wish it did!

ChaosTitan
03-23-2007, 07:43 PM
CheshireCat, I loved your post.

However, I feel it needs a visual aide:

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Sbk/47/5504100_2_11.jpg

There, that's better. :D

CheshireCat
03-24-2007, 12:44 AM
CheshireCat, I loved your post.

However, I feel it needs a visual aide:

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Sbk/47/5504100_2_11.jpg

There, that's better. :D

Hey, I didn't get a picture! Where's my picture?

dclary
03-24-2007, 03:07 AM
Dave, have you been playing Truth or Dare again?

LOL, no. I just really, really love that show. 2nd greatest television show of all time. Easily. Ok, not easily. But right neck and neck with #3.

ChaosTitan
03-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Hey, I didn't get a picture! Where's my picture?

Crap! :rant: It was there, I swear!!!

ChaosTitan
03-24-2007, 07:27 PM
How's this?

http://www.themidnighthour.net/uploaded_images/spike_angel-768461.jpg

CheshireCat
03-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Ahhhhhh.

Now, that's a picture!

I loved Joss's comment that once Spike joined the show he became the best ingenue Angel ever had. LOL!

Those two characters played off each other beautifully.

I'm happy to see David Boreanaz on Bones now ... but, man, I miss Spike.

:e2cry:

ghost
03-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Yeah. I'm enjoying this new Angel show, too. I'm glad they're doing this spin-off!

It'd be neat of Joss Whedon did a sci-fi show someday!

Um...he did. It's called Firefly. Next came the movie Serenity.

Namatu
03-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Oooh. That's a nice pic, chaostitan.

I preferred Serenity to Firefly.

FatTire
03-28-2007, 02:55 AM
Dawn grew on me. I hated her at the end of season 6. But in 7 she actually made a little bit of sense. But that's just me and that is what makes this show so awesome. That you can have people who love it and disagree about some many of the things that made it great.

dclary
03-28-2007, 03:35 AM
Um...he did. It's called Firefly. Next came the movie Serenity.

He was being sarcastic.

moth
03-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Buffy! :e2headban I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but the storytelling is so good that it hooked in my father -- my half-Vulcan father who wouldn't watch non-Star-Trek sf/f if you paid him. Mom and I sat him down and said here, just humor us, watch this. And he liked it despite himself.

Totally agree about Kennedy, I couldn't stand her. And Dawn -- I don't know what this says about me, but I didn't start to like her until Buffy hugged her all tearful in that hole in the ground and said "I got it so wrong." I still never saw Dawn as much of an asset, but I did start seeing her as part of the family.

Spike Spike Spike Spike Spike! :e2heartbe :e2brows:

Me too. :D And my mother. :D :D

My favorite moment of the entire series is the culmination of Dark Willow, though. The fact that it was Xander who saved the universe.
Hell yes, me too, one thousand percent agree. Especially since they built it up beforehand too, having Xander say earlier in the season how he's the only one with no powers, the only one with nothing special about him. Yet he's the perfect one to save the universe. I also loved how that scene between them kind of hearkened back to their first-season dynamics a little bit.

And on the DVDs, yay for the insider commentary on Grave and OMWF!

dpaterso
03-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Bravo, look away, this is season 7.

Will someone please tell me why they didn't like Kennedy?!

She knew her stuff, she was hot-Spanish-cute, she gave you-know-who just what she needed after you-know-who left. What's not to like, what did she do wrong?

-Derek

moth
03-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Will someone please tell me why they didn't like Kennedy?!

She knew her stuff, she was hot-Spanish-cute, she gave you-know-who just what she needed after you-know-who left. What's not to like, what did she do wrong?

-Derek
Okay, she was cute. But she was pushy, know-it-all, abrasive, selfish, and manipulative. Maybe Willow needed what she was offering, but Kennedy made her do it before she was ready. If she really cared about Willow she should have made her desires clear and then back the hell off and let Willow come to her -- if Willow wanted to. Kennedy seemed to only care about herself.

Anyway. JMO, that's how she came off to me. :)

dclary
03-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Are we talking Kennedy the edgy MTV VJ or some other Kennedy?

That Kennedy was kinda hot.

moth
03-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Kennedy from Buffy. At least that's who I was talking about. :)

dpaterso
03-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Okay, she was cute. But she was pushy, know-it-all, abrasive, selfish, and manipulative. Maybe Willow needed what she was offering, but Kennedy made her do it before she was ready. If she really cared about Willow she should have made her desires clear and then back the hell off and let Willow come to her -- if Willow wanted to. Kennedy seemed to only care about herself.
Most of the above is excused simply by the fact Kennedy didn't know about Tara and that Willow was hurting.

It's hard to deny that Kennedy did Willow some serious good and gave her the support she needed when things escalated again.

The pushy, know-it-all stuff -- that's pretty much the attitude I'd expect slayers-in-training to have. Kennedy was shocked by how poorly equipped the other potentials were compared with her (her Watcher had been training her for years). And when it comes down to usefulness, she proved her worth when others fell like skittles.

Thus rests my defense of Kennedy. And did I mention hot?

-Derek