Buffy Season 6

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
SPOILERS

good season, but i was severely disappointed by the survival of Dawn.

every time some creature went after her, all i could do was hope that that would be the moment she'd be wiped back into an energy ball.

Last edited:

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Yeah. I'm enjoying this new Angel show, too. I'm glad they're doing this spin-off!

It'd be neat of Joss Whedon did a sci-fi show someday!

FatTire

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
Buffy, Angel and Firefly are all top shelf shows. Dawn will grow on you though.

Have you started watching Angel, yet? No character in the history of TV has had an arc as cool as Wesley's. By and far the best character development ever.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I never did like Dawn, even by the end. I think the only person I disliked more was Kennedy. But I think it was neat that by season 7 (possible spoiler?) Buffy said, put in the same situation as she was in season 5, she would let Dawn die.

Side note -- anyone pick up the Season 8 comic yet? I'm a bit wary of it, but it's Whedon, so I can't imagine it being bad.

FTJoshua

What's a narrative engine?!
Registered
Reaction score
GRR ARGH!!! KENNEDY! Possibly the only mistake Joss Whedon ever made. UGH. Hate that character.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Side note -- anyone pick up the Season 8 comic yet? I'm a bit wary of it, but it's Whedon, so I can't imagine it being bad.

It's very good. Very well written. Different from Buffy, and different from Astonishing X-Men.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Kennedy? Series 6? Grrr, arg. Focus, people. No spoilers for Bravo's sake please.

-Derek

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You thought the biggest problem with season 6 was Dawn's survival?

Dawn does get better in season 7. I think that's because they let her be closer to the age she was supposed to be, & she comes across more like the first season cast did. When she began as a 15-year-old, she acted & was treated much younger than 15, IMO.

(BTW, I liked Kennedy)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I remember being really disappointed with 6 overall, but I rewatched it a couple of months ago and enjoyed revisiting. At the time it aired I kept waiting for something bigger to happen -- the "boss" is three geeks?! -- and so much of the season felt to me like filler instead of the continuous storyline the rest of the seasons had.

But in retrospect it really was quite solid, with some neat twists. A lot of character development -- Xander's wedding, Willow's addiction, Giles leaving (probably another reason I was bitter), the after-effects of her death, etc. And I can appreciate human villains on a more realistic level (ice guns aside) than I did initially. Funny what expectations vs. perspective can do for a show.

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
I didn't like Buffy when it first came on. I started watching reruns of the later seasons then went back and saw it all. My favorite is Spike of course, but truely I think the series would have been better off ending after the musical episode. That's like the 4 ep of season 6 isn't it?

I haven't seen the show in awhile though. Luckly it looks like the dvd prices are coming down. Not that I'll get through all my other tv series any time soom, but hey. I can dream.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I must admit that after season 5 (my fave), I had huge expectations for season 6 & felt let down. While many of the characters' problems that season were realistic, it was just so painful to watch week after week. There are several outstanding eps (OMWF & Tabula Rasa, for example), but overall, I just couldn't like the season.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Tabula Rasa. Really love that episode. And I think that's what season 6 came down to for me: a lot of good individual episodes, more so now that I revisited, but not an overall arc that matched what they'd done previously.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Season six definitely had its ups (Musical episode!) and downs (DoubleMeat Palace, anyone?). But was there any cooler entrance than Giles at the end of the second-to-last ep, when he blasts Dark Willow through the wall?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
the musical episode was fantastic one of the best of the season. i really really enjoyed the mental hospital episode, and its pretty sad and shocking that smallville blatantly ripped off it (but still couldnt get close to matching its intelligence).

overall, it was a good but like others said, depressing season.

the lack of one overall villian was slightly annoying, but it was nice to dwell on the human aspect of all this.

as for Angel, i finished season 4 of that. love that show as well.

peedee-

i actually think whedon should get into comics. i would love to see him do something w a team - he's great w mixing dialogue and action.

;)

FTJoshua

Registered
Reaction score

yes, picked it up - yes, pretty darn good. Not the show, of course, but if you need a fix, it works fine. Certainly some new developments since the end of 7, and already a few mysteries. Definitely worth picking up!

FTJoshua

Registered
Reaction score
But was there any cooler entrance than Giles at the end of the second-to-last ep, when he blasts Dark Willow through the wall?

Absolutely not.

Although I'd vote for best Giles moment in the last ep of season 5 as he talks to Ben. Seen that so many times, and still it chills me.

"She's a hero, you see. She's not like us."
"Us . . .?"

Eeeesh!

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
peedee-

i actually think whedon should get into comics. i would love to see him do something w a team - he's great w mixing dialogue and action.

;)

Yeah, I think he'd do a great job, he'd make a really astonishing comic! We should petition him to do the Avengers!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
After Buffy sacrificed herself for Dawn, only individual episodes worked for me, Tabula Rasa, Once More with Feeling. The seasons as a whole fell flat.

Never much cared for Dawn. Spike with a chip was fine at first, but Spike lurving Buffy made me want to spork out my eyes.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
The Spike & Buffy thing got weird, yeah...

Still, Season 6 wouldn't have worked even as much as it did if it weren't for Joss Whedon's writing ability. It would have been REALLY abysmal in someone else's hands.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree.

With the later seasons, I like to imagine that I know what they wanted to do, but failed to effectively execute in the high fashion of earlier seasons.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Yeah, I think he'd do a great job, he'd make a really astonishing comic! We should petition him to do the Avengers!

Oooh, oooh! He would be astonishing, wouldn't he? We should totally write to him.

Call him "Bub". I hear he likes it.

I haven't gotten to read the first issue of Season 8 yet. But I loves me some Buffy. If by "loves me some" you mean "am totally obsessed with". I even own the "Once More, With Feeling" soundtrack. And I sing along to it in the car.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i thought the spike/buffy thing worked.

his attempted rape was very powerful; it was a risk to have him go that far b/c he was likeable, but that's the kind of stuff that made buffy great.

very few shows push and challenge their characters the way this show did.