Hypothetical: Two Different Projects

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I have been querying one novel (I'll call it TWP) for the last sixteen months or so. My list is pretty much finished. I've gathered lots of rejections, one rejection on a partial, and several no-responses. About two weeks ago I mailed out a requested partial. Whether or not this ultimately garners a rejection, I am done querying this novel for a while (I'm obviously hoping for a full read or better, but I'm trying to be pragmatic here).

I believe this agent lists their response time as 2-4 months on partials. I have a new finished novel that, aside from a grammar sweep and one character that needs a bit more flesh, should be ready for submission within that time frame. If not sooner. It's a similar genre (TWP being Urban fantasy, the new novel is paranormal romance), but many of my preferred agents rep both. Including the agent with the partial.

So here's the question (if you haven't guessed it): If the paranormal romance novel is ready for querying before I've received a response on the urban fantasy partial, do I wait? Is there protocol for querying two different fiction projects at once?

Advice? Thoughts?

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I would definitely wait. This way, if the agent says your other book is not right for him, but he'd love to see your next one, you can offer it to him by return mail. That's got to be impressive. And if he doesn't ask to see your next one, then you haven't wasted the postage.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I queried two and three different projects at one time. When i started getting great response on the last one I put the others on hold.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I'm querying three projects right now. I hope there's no law against it.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
God'll getcha, Orion.

LOL I'm training my Doberman/Rotweiler to answer the door.