3 bands who belong in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Jim Colyer

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.jimcolyer.com
1 ABBA - ABBA from Sweden sold 400 million records and had 9 number ones in the UK. They recorded 110 songs in English 1972-82. Dancing Queen, Take A Chance On Me & The Winner Takes It All are among their hits. All 4 members of ABBA have had successful solo careers: Agnetha Faltskog, Frida Lyngstad, Benny Andersson & Bjorn Ulvaeus. Benny & Bjorn went into musical theatre with Chess & Kristina. Mamma Mia!, based on ABBA songs, is the biggest musical of the century and will be a movie in 2008.

2 THE GUESS WHO - This Canadian group should be in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Their string of hits includes These Eyes, American Woman & No Time. The Guess Who proved to be a prolific album band. Lead singer Burton Cummings may have the best voice in rock. Guitarist Randy Bachman founded Bachman-Turner Overdrive and recorded the classic Takin' Care Of Business.

3 STEPPENWOLF - John Kay and Steppenwolf achieved immortality with their multi-generational anthem Born To Be Wild. They were one of the first heavy metal groups and went on to produce albums of social and political substance. Kay and his mother escaped from Germany after World War II, and his background has played a role in his songwriting.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
ABBA? In the ROCKnroll HOF? Maybe the sickly sweet Top 40 POP HOF.

Anyway, my list:
Robin Trower
Blue Oyster Cult
Uriah Heep
Savoy Brown Blues Band
Deep Purple
Gentle Giant
Hot Tuna
Journey
Rush
Yes
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
King Crimson
Jethro Tull
and I'll stop there even though I can think of a ton more.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
....something is wrong with my computer.

i thought i saw someone write that ABBA should be in the RocknRoll Hall of Fame.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
What about the Five Man Electrical Band? They weren't just a one-hit wonder, they had TWO top-40 songs that I know of. They're Legendary!

JRH

practical experience, FTW
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowpoetry.com
Cray,

Rock has exhibited hundreds, if not thousands, of faces over the years, and few, if any, have liked all of them equally, but when it comes to recognition of impact on the musical scene, it's not and should not be confined to any subgenre or style

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is intenfed for those who either had significant success or highly influenced the upbeat music we know as Rock&Roll, and by those standards Abba certainly qualifies, whether you like their musical style or not.

There are many Jazz artists and current Rap & Hip Hop performers who have, or are, receiving that recognition and ABBA certainly is as deserving as they are, and, if you want to be purist about it, only the the artists of the 50s like Bill Haley, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Ricky Nelson, Sam Cook, Fats Domino, Little Richard, James Brown, the Coasters, the Everly Brothers and their contemporaries should be so honored because that is what "Rock" was really about, and, although those who have followed have created some diverse, interesting and memorable music, few have actually been true to Rock's roots, whether they are lumped in that category or not, and it would be difficult and confusing to have separate awards for each varient that exists out there, (or has).

Think about it.

JRH

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Ohio Express!

Yummy, yummy, yummy,
I got love in my tummy

They don't write 'em like that anymore.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is intented for those who either had significant success or highly influenced the upbeat music we know as Rock&Roll, and by those standards Abba certainly qualifies, whether you like their musical style or not.

There are many Jazz artists and current Rap & Hip Hop performers who have, or are, receiving that recognition
I think when they started inducting hip-hoppers and rappers is when I stopped taking the HOF seriously.

The fact that they'd even consider ABBA would only verify that.

What next? Captain and Tennille? Tony Orlando and Dawn?

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score

Anyway, my list:
Robin Trower
Blue Oyster Cult
Uriah Heep
Savoy Brown Blues Band
Deep Purple
Gentle Giant
Hot Tuna
Journey
Rush
Yes
King Crimson
Jethro Tull

*cough* Journey?!:ROFL:

Why, then, don't you have Boston, REO Speedwagon, Kansas, Foreigner and Styx on your list, too? (I'm being serious; I don't get how Steve Perry's talent stood out from the rest of them. Personally, I'd pull Styx from that batch, but that's JMHO...

RG570

Registered
Reaction score

Anyway, my list:
Robin Trower
Blue Oyster Cult
Uriah Heep
Savoy Brown Blues Band
Deep Purple
Gentle Giant
Hot Tuna
Journey
Rush
Yes
King Crimson
Jethro Tull

I haven't seen such a kick-ass list ever. Except Journey, but I won't hold that against you. Maybe Hackett/Gabriel era Genesis belongs in there too.

moblues

Banned
Reaction score

Anyway, my list:
Robin Trower
Blue Oyster Cult
Uriah Heep
Savoy Brown Blues Band
Deep Purple
Gentle Giant
Hot Tuna
Journey
Rush
Yes
King Crimson
Jethro Tull

This list made me think I was flipping through my album collection currently in storage. I wish there was a way to add Tommy Bolin. His life was too brief. Maybe he'll make it in someday with Deep Purple or the James Gang, although his best work was on his solo albums and with Billy Cobham and Alphonse Mouzon.

As for Journey? I'm in. Check out their first two albums before they went commercial with Perry. Great stuff--mostly instrumental.

As a side note, I saw the debut of Steve Perry at The Super Bowl of Rock at Soldier Field in Chicago in '77 or '78. He came on stage mid-way through their set. We were the first audience to hear songs from what would be their biggest selling album. It hadn't been released yet. If Perry had bombed that day, Journey might have been at the end of its journey.

This is becoming wordy, but check out the lineup for this concert: Ted Nugent, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Journey, and 38 Special. There were a couple of other bands that opened that weren't of note.

I'm with you on your list, Shadow.

Mike

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Let's not hold Steve Perry against what was a great band Jurney was. They had Greg Rolie, the voice of Santana's Black Magic Woman. Neal Schon -- such a good guitarist at 17 he was offered 2 jobs on the same day by 2 great guitarists, Santana and Eric Clapton. Journey's first 3 albums were a prime example of what was known as jam rock. Rolie and Schon just wailing away back and forth on keyboards and guitar. And please, Aynsley Dunbar on drums? Who was better? I'd even say the first album with Steve Perry had some interesting duets between Perry and Rolie. It wasn't until the 80s that Journey switched to corporate formula rock.

And honestly, if we're considering ABBA, then why not Journey? They were one of the most popular bands of the 80s, selling millions of albums. So if the OP's criteria is popularity, then you would include Boston, who had the best selling debut album of all time. Kansas who sold millions of albums. Ditto Foreigner and Styx. And REO had some pretty decent country-style rock anthems until they went corporate, too, and then sold millions.

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
Let's not hold Steve Perry against what was a great band Jurney was. They had Greg Rolie, the voice of Santana's Black Magic Woman. Neal Schon -- such a good guitarist at 17 he was offered 2 jobs on the same day by 2 great guitarists, Santana and Eric Clapton. Journey's first 3 albums were a prime example of what was known as jam rock. Rolie and Schon just wailing away back and forth on keyboards and guitar. And please, Aynsley Dunbar on drums? Who was better? I'd even say the first album with Steve Perry had some interesting duets between Perry and Rolie. It wasn't until the 80s that Journey switched to corporate formula rock.

And honestly, if we're considering ABBA, then why not Journey? They were one of the most popular bands of the 80s, selling millions of albums. So if the OP's criteria is popularity, then you would include Boston, who had the best selling debut album of all time. Kansas who sold millions of albums. Ditto Foreigner and Styx. And REO had some pretty decent country-style rock anthems until they went corporate, too, and then sold millions.

I'm not holding Steve Perry against anything. They were a great band. I mustn't have made myself clear. I know all about Rolie and Schon. Neal was a child phenom. Clapton went to Neil's home when the kid was just fifteen and asked permission from his parents to allow him to perform on stage with him. They consented. Clapton played strictly rhythm. Neal played Clapton's leads note for note. The rest is history. (I tried to check historical data on the event on Neal's website. He doesn't mention this. I think the venue was the Fillmore. I learned of this from an edition of a short-lived VHS series called Guitarist Magazine).

Journey had great musicians and great writing early on. I never disputed this. I thought that my post supported this, although I didn't go in depth about Perry's contributions to the band.

I forgot to mention this, Shadow. Clapton offered Neal the job in Derek and the Dominoes the day before Santana offered the gig he eventually would take. He was 15, not 17.

Why did my post upset you?

Mike

Last edited:

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
Your post didn't. I respect a fellow "classic rocker." ;) I was actually responding to mud dauber, I just didn't quote him.

15. Maybe I was thinking of Frank Marino who put his first album out at 17. :)

Cool, Shadow. Frank is another one of my favorite guitarists. Amazing player. Mahogany Rush was a great band. I always got a kick out of Frank saying that he was Jimi reincarnated. Kind of hard to believe when both were alive at the same time, LOL.

If you have the opportunity, check out Tommy Bolin. He was that good. :)

Mike

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I have to add to this..well at least put my top bands that should be in the Hall of Fame... RUSH, KISS and yes ABBA...

So there :)

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
Your post didn't. I respect a fellow "classic rocker." ;) I was actually responding to mud dauber, I just didn't quote him.
This comes up from time to time... must be my less-than-sexy name:tongue...
I am a SHE!:e2file:

And I guess I am an uneducated 'she' at that, b/c I had no idea there was a Journey, sans Steve Perry. Sorry to rain my .02 on your classic rock parade, guys! But thanks for the backstory on Neal Schon. How about that? I learned something new about rock n roll history today.

Carry on.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If you have the opportunity, check out Tommy Bolin. He was that good. :)
I enjoy Tommy Bolin. I have his second solo album, Private Eyes, and I think his solo on Quadrant 4 that he did on Billy Cobham's Spectrum album is among the Top 10 guitar solos of all time.

Sorry, mud dauber. She. :)

Last edited:

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
Carry on.

Would this be as in Carry on My Wayward Son? ;)

Yes, Kansas deserves to make it in as well. There's no classic rock parade here. Just memories of great music. (At least in my mind).

I've never spoken to you before MD. It's a pleasure to meet you.

Mike