PDA

View Full Version : 3 bands who belong in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Jim Colyer
03-20-2007, 09:53 AM
1 ABBA - ABBA from Sweden sold 400 million records and had 9 number ones in the UK. They recorded 110 songs in English 1972-82. Dancing Queen, Take A Chance On Me & The Winner Takes It All are among their hits. All 4 members of ABBA have had successful solo careers: Agnetha Faltskog, Frida Lyngstad, Benny Andersson & Bjorn Ulvaeus. Benny & Bjorn went into musical theatre with Chess & Kristina. Mamma Mia!, based on ABBA songs, is the biggest musical of the century and will be a movie in 2008.

2 THE GUESS WHO - This Canadian group should be in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame (http://www.rockhall.com/). Their string of hits includes These Eyes, American Woman & No Time. The Guess Who proved to be a prolific album band. Lead singer Burton Cummings may have the best voice in rock. Guitarist Randy Bachman founded Bachman-Turner Overdrive and recorded the classic Takin' Care Of Business.

3 STEPPENWOLF - John Kay and Steppenwolf achieved immortality with their multi-generational anthem Born To Be Wild. They were one of the first heavy metal groups and went on to produce albums of social and political substance. Kay and his mother escaped from Germany after World War II, and his background has played a role in his songwriting.

billythrilly7th
03-20-2007, 10:04 AM
KISS

Lyxdeslic
03-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Hmmn, let's see.
1. Pearl Jam
2. Um...oh, yeah...Pearl Jam
3. Use your imagination :)

Shadow_Ferret
03-20-2007, 05:36 PM
ABBA? In the ROCKnroll HOF? Maybe the sickly sweet Top 40 POP HOF.

Anyway, my list:
Robin Trower
Blue Oyster Cult
Uriah Heep
Savoy Brown Blues Band
Deep Purple
Gentle Giant
Hot Tuna
Journey
Rush
Yes
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
King Crimson
Jethro Tull
and I'll stop there even though I can think of a ton more.

cray
03-20-2007, 06:39 PM
....something is wrong with my computer.

i thought i saw someone write that ABBA should be in the RocknRoll Hall of Fame.

benbradley
03-20-2007, 07:23 PM
What about the Five Man Electrical Band? They weren't just a one-hit wonder, they had TWO top-40 songs that I know of. They're Legendary!

JRH
03-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Cray,

Rock has exhibited hundreds, if not thousands, of faces over the years, and few, if any, have liked all of them equally, but when it comes to recognition of impact on the musical scene, it's not and should not be confined to any subgenre or style

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is intenfed for those who either had significant success or highly influenced the upbeat music we know as Rock&Roll, and by those standards Abba certainly qualifies, whether you like their musical style or not.

There are many Jazz artists and current Rap & Hip Hop performers who have, or are, receiving that recognition and ABBA certainly is as deserving as they are, and, if you want to be purist about it, only the the artists of the 50s like Bill Haley, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Ricky Nelson, Sam Cook, Fats Domino, Little Richard, James Brown, the Coasters, the Everly Brothers and their contemporaries should be so honored because that is what "Rock" was really about, and, although those who have followed have created some diverse, interesting and memorable music, few have actually been true to Rock's roots, whether they are lumped in that category or not, and it would be difficult and confusing to have separate awards for each varient that exists out there, (or has).

Think about it.

JRH

alleycat
03-20-2007, 08:22 PM
The Ohio Express!

Yummy, yummy, yummy,
I got love in my tummy

They don't write 'em like that anymore.

RJLeahy
03-20-2007, 08:50 PM
The Archies!

um...hello? (tap tap tap) Is this thing on?

dclary
03-20-2007, 09:57 PM
You are my candy girl!

Shadow_Ferret
03-20-2007, 10:05 PM
The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is intented for those who either had significant success or highly influenced the upbeat music we know as Rock&Roll, and by those standards Abba certainly qualifies, whether you like their musical style or not.

There are many Jazz artists and current Rap & Hip Hop performers who have, or are, receiving that recognition
I think when they started inducting hip-hoppers and rappers is when I stopped taking the HOF seriously.

The fact that they'd even consider ABBA would only verify that.

What next? Captain and Tennille? Tony Orlando and Dawn?

ModoReese
03-21-2007, 04:14 AM
CHICAGO!

Mud Dauber
03-24-2007, 06:38 AM

Anyway, my list:
Robin Trower
Blue Oyster Cult
Uriah Heep
Savoy Brown Blues Band
Deep Purple
Gentle Giant
Hot Tuna
Journey
Rush
Yes
King Crimson
Jethro Tull

*cough* Journey?!:ROFL:

Why, then, don't you have Boston, REO Speedwagon, Kansas, Foreigner and Styx on your list, too? (I'm being serious; I don't get how Steve Perry's talent stood out from the rest of them. Personally, I'd pull Styx from that batch, but that's JMHO...

RG570
03-24-2007, 09:32 AM

Anyway, my list:
Robin Trower
Blue Oyster Cult
Uriah Heep
Savoy Brown Blues Band
Deep Purple
Gentle Giant
Hot Tuna
Journey
Rush
Yes
King Crimson
Jethro Tull

I haven't seen such a kick-ass list ever. Except Journey, but I won't hold that against you. Maybe Hackett/Gabriel era Genesis belongs in there too.

moblues
03-26-2007, 10:00 PM

Anyway, my list:
Robin Trower
Blue Oyster Cult
Uriah Heep
Savoy Brown Blues Band
Deep Purple
Gentle Giant
Hot Tuna
Journey
Rush
Yes
King Crimson
Jethro Tull

This list made me think I was flipping through my album collection currently in storage. I wish there was a way to add Tommy Bolin. His life was too brief. Maybe he'll make it in someday with Deep Purple or the James Gang, although his best work was on his solo albums and with Billy Cobham and Alphonse Mouzon.

As for Journey? I'm in. Check out their first two albums before they went commercial with Perry. Great stuff--mostly instrumental.

As a side note, I saw the debut of Steve Perry at The Super Bowl of Rock at Soldier Field in Chicago in '77 or '78. He came on stage mid-way through their set. We were the first audience to hear songs from what would be their biggest selling album. It hadn't been released yet. If Perry had bombed that day, Journey might have been at the end of its journey.

This is becoming wordy, but check out the lineup for this concert: Ted Nugent, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Journey, and 38 Special. There were a couple of other bands that opened that weren't of note.

I'm with you on your list, Shadow.

Mike

Shadow_Ferret
03-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Let's not hold Steve Perry against what was a great band Jurney was. They had Greg Rolie, the voice of Santana's Black Magic Woman. Neal Schon -- such a good guitarist at 17 he was offered 2 jobs on the same day by 2 great guitarists, Santana and Eric Clapton. Journey's first 3 albums were a prime example of what was known as jam rock. Rolie and Schon just wailing away back and forth on keyboards and guitar. And please, Aynsley Dunbar on drums? Who was better? I'd even say the first album with Steve Perry had some interesting duets between Perry and Rolie. It wasn't until the 80s that Journey switched to corporate formula rock.

And honestly, if we're considering ABBA, then why not Journey? They were one of the most popular bands of the 80s, selling millions of albums. So if the OP's criteria is popularity, then you would include Boston, who had the best selling debut album of all time. Kansas who sold millions of albums. Ditto Foreigner and Styx. And REO had some pretty decent country-style rock anthems until they went corporate, too, and then sold millions.

moblues
03-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Let's not hold Steve Perry against what was a great band Jurney was. They had Greg Rolie, the voice of Santana's Black Magic Woman. Neal Schon -- such a good guitarist at 17 he was offered 2 jobs on the same day by 2 great guitarists, Santana and Eric Clapton. Journey's first 3 albums were a prime example of what was known as jam rock. Rolie and Schon just wailing away back and forth on keyboards and guitar. And please, Aynsley Dunbar on drums? Who was better? I'd even say the first album with Steve Perry had some interesting duets between Perry and Rolie. It wasn't until the 80s that Journey switched to corporate formula rock.

And honestly, if we're considering ABBA, then why not Journey? They were one of the most popular bands of the 80s, selling millions of albums. So if the OP's criteria is popularity, then you would include Boston, who had the best selling debut album of all time. Kansas who sold millions of albums. Ditto Foreigner and Styx. And REO had some pretty decent country-style rock anthems until they went corporate, too, and then sold millions.

I'm not holding Steve Perry against anything. They were a great band. I mustn't have made myself clear. I know all about Rolie and Schon. Neal was a child phenom. Clapton went to Neil's home when the kid was just fifteen and asked permission from his parents to allow him to perform on stage with him. They consented. Clapton played strictly rhythm. Neal played Clapton's leads note for note. The rest is history. (I tried to check historical data on the event on Neal's website. He doesn't mention this. I think the venue was the Fillmore. I learned of this from an edition of a short-lived VHS series called Guitarist Magazine).

Journey had great musicians and great writing early on. I never disputed this. I thought that my post supported this, although I didn't go in depth about Perry's contributions to the band.

I forgot to mention this, Shadow. Clapton offered Neal the job in Derek and the Dominoes the day before Santana offered the gig he eventually would take. He was 15, not 17.

Why did my post upset you?

Mike

sassandgroove
03-27-2007, 12:22 AM
DEF LEPPARD

Shadow_Ferret
03-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Why did my post upset you?

Your post didn't. I respect a fellow "classic rocker." ;) I was actually responding to mud dauber, I just didn't quote him.

15. Maybe I was thinking of Frank Marino who put his first album out at 17. :)

moblues
03-27-2007, 07:32 AM
Your post didn't. I respect a fellow "classic rocker." ;) I was actually responding to mud dauber, I just didn't quote him.

15. Maybe I was thinking of Frank Marino who put his first album out at 17. :)

Cool, Shadow. Frank is another one of my favorite guitarists. Amazing player. Mahogany Rush was a great band. I always got a kick out of Frank saying that he was Jimi reincarnated. Kind of hard to believe when both were alive at the same time, LOL.

If you have the opportunity, check out Tommy Bolin. He was that good. :)

Mike

Writer2011
03-27-2007, 07:35 AM
I have to add to this..well at least put my top bands that should be in the Hall of Fame... RUSH, KISS and yes ABBA...

So there :)

RG570
03-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Is Kiss not already in the hall of fame?

Mud Dauber
03-27-2007, 07:52 AM

This comes up from time to time... must be my less-than-sexy name:tongue...
I am a SHE!:e2file:

And I guess I am an uneducated 'she' at that, b/c I had no idea there was a Journey, sans Steve Perry. Sorry to rain my .02 on your classic rock parade, guys! But thanks for the backstory on Neal Schon. How about that? I learned something new about rock n roll history today.

Carry on.

Shadow_Ferret
03-27-2007, 07:52 AM
If you have the opportunity, check out Tommy Bolin. He was that good. :)

I enjoy Tommy Bolin. I have his second solo album, Private Eyes, and I think his solo on Quadrant 4 that he did on Billy Cobham's Spectrum album is among the Top 10 guitar solos of all time.

Sorry, mud dauber. She. :)

moblues
03-27-2007, 08:11 AM
Carry on.

Would this be as in Carry on My Wayward Son? ;)

Yes, Kansas deserves to make it in as well. There's no classic rock parade here. Just memories of great music. (At least in my mind).

I've never spoken to you before MD. It's a pleasure to meet you.

Mike

Writer2011
03-27-2007, 08:17 AM
I agree with you on that one moblues...Kansas should be in there too..

Mud Dauber.. nice to meet you too.

moblues
03-27-2007, 08:24 AM
I enjoy Tommy Bolin. I have his second solo album, Private Eyes, and I think his solo on Quadrant 4 that he did on Billy Cobham's Spectrum album is among the Top 10 guitar solos of all time.

Sorry, mud dauber. She. :)

Check out Teaser. While you won't have video, you'll be able to hear cuts from this album on YouTube. The solo for Dreamer is even better than the one on Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower (The solo on Watchtower is the one that got me. I've been playing for nearly 30 years because of this solo. I don't make this statement lightly). Then check out Lotus and Wild Dogs. If you like smooth jazz, you'll like Savannah Woman.

Mike

Inkdaub
03-27-2007, 01:42 PM
I don't know who all is in the HoF but I know Rush isn't and that is absurd.

sassandgroove
03-28-2007, 04:00 AM
I repeat, DEF LEPPARD.

Gravity
03-28-2007, 05:14 AM
Some of these were said before upthread (and for all I know may already have been inducted), but I cannot resist saying them again:

King Crimson (Fripp kicks butt)
Jethro Tull (Ian Anderson; ya gotta love a guy playing rockin' flute while standing on one leg)
Yes ('nuff said)
The Who (and again, 'nuff said)
Uriah Heep
Black Sabbath
Mott the Hoople (of course, Blinded by the Light is senseless; it was the 60s man!)
Grand Funk Railroad (Paranoid is killer)
Neal Young (so he's not a band; this is MY list)
..and oh, so many more...

Shadow_Ferret
03-28-2007, 07:01 AM
You'll be happy to know that Black Sabbath has already been inducted.

moblues
03-28-2007, 07:52 AM
You'll be happy to know that Black Sabbath has already been inducted.

On a side note--for those who also appreciate the version of Black Sabbath with Dio will love this. An anthology CD collection has been put together. It will be released by Rhino Records as Black Sabbath: The Dio years. Three new songs were recorded for the compilation. The titles are: The Devil Cried, Shadow of the Wind, and Ear in the Wall. They are planning a world tour. This is being billed as a project and not a true reunion. Ronnie has contractual obligations for at least one more album for his record company. He wasn't specific. He doesn't rule out working with the band again as scheduling permits.

Since Ozzie is currently touring with a version of Black Sabbath with Bill Ward, this band will call itself Heaven and Hell. Fitting, in my opinion. The band sports the original lineup sans Ozzie and Ward (I know--I know, half the band). Ward's replacement is Vinnie Appice, who filled in nicely when Bill was gravely ill during the mid-to-late 80s.

Source: Vintage Guitar Magazine: Neon Knights Reunite; May 2007 Vol. 21 No. 07.

Mike

Kiester
03-31-2007, 05:51 PM
'Scuse me...

1. Queen (No Doubt...anyone says otherwise should be thrown down a well or something).
2. Thin Lizzy (Good Stuff)
3. Lynard Skynard

Shadow_Ferret
04-10-2007, 03:42 AM
'Scuse me...

1. Queen (No Doubt...anyone says otherwise should be thrown down a well or something).
2. Thin Lizzy (Good Stuff)
3. Lynard Skynard

Queen and Lynyrd Skynyrd are in. Thin Lizzy is not.

Another to add to the list, The Moody Blues.

FredCharles
04-11-2007, 01:24 AM

Anyway, my list:
Blue Oyster Cult
Deep Purple
Rush
Yes
King Crimson

(The above list was edited to reflect bands that I like)

Agreed! I don't really follow who is in the RR Hall of Fame and who is not, but I'm kind of surprised to see that these bands are not in there...especially Yes considering their popularity. I wonder if Genesis are in there.

Jim Colyer
04-11-2007, 02:33 AM
Mamma Mia! will be a movie in 2008 starring Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan. 22 ABBA songs will be performed in theaters around the world. That should propel ABBA into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Even though the ABBA catalog explores many musical genres, ABBA is part of the rock era and has enough rock oriented songs to qualify.

Mamma Mia! http://www.mamma-mia.com/

Mamma Mia! @ Internet Movie Database http://imdb.com/title/tt0795421/

Rock n Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/

ABBA from Sweden http://jimcolyer.com/papers/entry?id=31

billythrilly7th
04-11-2007, 06:47 AM
Hopefully, the veterans comittee will vote in at least a few of the ones overlooked all these years.

Cav Guy
04-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Iron Maiden, Kansas, Rush.

cray
04-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Mariah Carey

III
04-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Rush, Guns N Roses, Joe Satriani

sassandgroove
04-12-2007, 01:12 AM
Mariah CareyAre you just being obtuse? Or are you serious. Mariah Carey isn't ROCK? I'm not sayin' she's not good, she just isn't rock. Oh wait, they inducted some hip hop guy this year. Nevermind. What's the point anymore?

Oh, and Shadow Ferret has great taste in music.

cray
04-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Are you just being obtuse?

If obtuse is code for jackass, then yes, I'm being obtuse.

Oh wait, they inducted some hip hop guy this year. Nevermind. What's the point anymore?

Seriously, you hit the nail on the head,...

sassandgroove
04-12-2007, 07:07 PM
:ROFL:

TheGaffer
04-12-2007, 09:42 PM
WHAM!

Albedo of Zero
04-14-2007, 06:30 AM
This list made me think I was flipping through my album collection currently in storage. I wish there was a way to add Tommy Bolin. His life was too brief. Maybe he'll make it in someday with Deep Purple or the James Gang, although his best work was on his solo albums and with Billy Cobham and Alphonse Mouzon.

As for Journey? I'm in. Check out their first two albums before they went commercial with Perry. Great stuff--mostly instrumental.(exactly what i was gonna say)

As a side note, I saw the debut of Steve Perry at The Super Bowl of Rock at Soldier Field in Chicago in '77 or '78. He came on stage mid-way through their set. We were the first audience to hear songs from what would be their biggest selling album. It hadn't been released yet. If Perry had bombed that day, Journey might have been at the end of its journey.

This is becoming wordy, but check out the lineup for this concert: Ted Nugent, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Journey, and 38 Special. There were a couple of other bands that opened that weren't of note.

I'm with you on your list, Shadow.

Mike

I'll third the motion...along with mott the hoople and todd rundgren

cletus
04-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Alice Cooper
The Dictators
Rush
Venom