PDA

View Full Version : 24

billythrilly7th
03-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Anyone see tonight's episode?

Is Ricky Schroeder being placed in a position where if something bad were ever to happen to Jack(or Kiefer has a bad contract negotiation)he would be taking over at CTU?

Very interesting little scene there. I saw something there. I saw something.

What say you, 24 fans?

maestrowork
03-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Anything is possible on 24. Kiefer has been doing this for a few years; he may want to quit and do something else, like... movies. :)

Vincent
03-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Kiefer Sutherland in movies? Gee, hard to imagine...

jvc
03-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Wasnt he in the film Sentinal last year?

Shadow_Ferret
03-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Wasnt he in the film Sentinal last year?

Yes. My wife loved that movie.

ChaosTitan
03-20-2007, 06:32 PM
There are rumors of a 24 feature film to be set between this season and next season, and Kiefer is supposed to be on board. Makes me wonder if he'll be passing the TV torch and keeping Jack Bauer alive in the movies. Hmmm...

As for tonight's ep, I was so amused to see Schroeder running around with automatic weapons. I kept having strange "Silver Spoons" flashbacks.

The Vice-Prez is nuts. I love Powers Boothe, but can't stand his character. Ugh. Glad to see Karen Hayes and Lennox agreeing on something, though. Maybe they will conspire to toss his ass out of power. ;)

I can't decide if Nadia is actually in on it or not. 24 doesn't usually go the obvious route (which would be for her to be bad), but maybe the producers expect us to think that, and it will turn out that she is bad. Won't Milo feel lke a shmuck for letting her use his passcode?

katiemac
03-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Is Ricky Schroeder being placed in a position where if something bad were ever to happen to Jack(or Kiefer has a bad contract negotiation)he would be taking over at CTU?

Very interesting little scene there. I saw something there. I saw something.

If they are trying to set him up as the new Jack, he's far too unlikeable for it to actually work. I suspect instead he and Jack will have a smackdown before the season's over.

The Scip
03-20-2007, 11:46 PM
I thought kiefer signed recently for another 3 seasons.

He was very good in 'A Few Good Men'

Rolling Thunder
03-20-2007, 11:46 PM
If they are trying to set him up as the new Jack, he's far too unlikeable for it to actually work. I suspect instead he and Jack will have a smackdown before the season's over.

Maybe. But Bauer's character is pushing the limits at times as a likable guy. Of course, this is the first season I've watched so I missed a lot about the character.

Still, knock off the damn romantic tryst scenes. BLOW SOMETHING UP, DAMMIT!

Jaycinth
03-20-2007, 11:54 PM
I've heard the '24 Movie' rumors, too. As a matter of fact, I think Keifer(what a hottie!) mentioned it himself on the 'Today' Show, last year.

I don't think he's setting himself to leave the series. Just because the only other character left with decent staying power is 'Chloe'.

I really like her character, and she's starting to turn into someone who will blow stuff up for her country.

AND she's already more loyal to Jack than to CTU, so she's either gonna move up or go out with a real big bang, or she'll be the next head of CTU.

The Scip
03-20-2007, 11:58 PM
I think i heard a rumor recently that they might do a season from before the first season, sort of a prequel type thing

dclary
03-21-2007, 12:04 AM
I want to see Jack go out in a blaze of glory, getting his revenge against the Chinese -- being pitted against the Chinese equivalent of CTU, and their star agent, Jackie Chanauer.

katiemac
03-21-2007, 12:12 AM
I thought kiefer signed recently for another 3 seasons.

He was very good in 'A Few Good Men'

I heard the same. He's still signed for a bit longer (not that there's a way around that, of course). But the movie has a 2008 release date. The script's finished, they film in the hiatus between this season and the next.

I wonder if next season (or maybe the film, then?) Jack's going to investigate Audrey's "death" in China.

ChaosTitan
03-21-2007, 06:23 AM
I wonder if next season (or maybe the film, then?) Jack's going to investigate Audrey's "death" in China.

On a show like this, I don't believe they are dead until I see a body. ;)

Little Red Barn
03-21-2007, 06:34 AM
:kimmi going to bed now sleeping with her new Jack tee shirt on:

tourdeforce
03-21-2007, 08:24 AM

As I watched the last episode (tonight on Tivo), and before I read this thread, i thought exactly the same thing as you.

blacbird
03-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Anything is possible on 24.

Does anyone other than me see this as a problem in this series? Does anyone other than me regard 24 as one of the most over-rated dramatic series on TV?

Beyond Sutherland, the acting is pedestrian (Sutherland is a good actor, who should probably do some more movies), and . . . what series in TV history could make a nuclear explosion seem . . . well, boring?

caw

katiemac
03-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Does anyone other than me see this as a problem in this series? Does anyone other than me regard 24 as one of the most over-rated dramatic series on TV?

This is the one show I watch where I can put sensibility behind me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For example: Morris just got a drill in his shoulder three hours ago and he's back at work? Give me a break.

But the writers know it's a stretch half the time, they have to. I gave up after season 3 and got sucked back in for 5. This season started out strong but, admittedly, I am getting bored.

ChaosTitan
03-21-2007, 04:36 PM
This is the one show I watch where I can put sensibility behind me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. For example: Morris just got a drill in his shoulder three hours ago and he's back at work? Give me a break.

The Morris storyline is getting on my nerves. Granted, Chloe's little breathalizer moment this last ep was hilarious, but he just needs to be stuffed into a closet and left there.

Still, I think the most unbelievable injury/swift recovery has to go to the late, great Tony Almeida in Season three. The man is shot in the neck in the third episode, and eight hours later, he's out of surgery and back in charge of CTU. :rolleyes: I loved the character, but come on!

maestrowork
03-21-2007, 07:38 PM

Beyond Sutherland, the acting is pedestrian (Sutherland is a good actor, who should probably do some more movies), and . . . what series in TV history could make a nuclear explosion seem . . . well, boring?

caw

I think it's good entertainment, but not like the best thing in the world. I actually think the writing is very typical of thrillers -- let's throw everything including the kitchen sink in and switch a few characters from good to evil and back and shock the audience by coming up with something from the left field.

And the use of technologies GRATES me. Come on! Would Chloe really connect to highly secured military databases in a bar over wi-fi? And all that conversation over unsecured airwave on cell phones? Get real.

billythrilly7th
03-21-2007, 11:31 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

:Shrug:

maestrowork
03-21-2007, 11:36 PM
I am a writer. I know what suspension of disbelief is. But as a techie, that kind of things breaks my suspension of disbelief -- it's just common sense, not rocket science. It makes me mad.

A wifi connection at a BAR?

(Don't even mention that in Firewall, Harrison Ford whipped out his laptop and started checking things online in the middle of nowhere -- without any type of wireless connection! ARGHHHHH!)

That's the kind of things that bug me the most in thrillers, that the writer feels he can just do anything without credibility as long as the readers can suspend their disbelief.

moth
03-28-2007, 05:22 PM
I heard the same. He's still signed for a bit longer (not that there's a way around that, of course).
I heard that too. Up through S8 or something, I think. So the thought that the Ricky Schroeder character might be lining up at the plate never even crossed my mind. I have to say if they did do that, I'd stop watching. Maybe that makes me a Kiefer fan instead of a 24 fan, but if it didn't have him I wouldn't care about the show at all. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I'm sure the producers know of that part of the fan base. (Isn't Kiefer an executive producer or something too...?)

On a show like this, I don't believe they are dead until I see a body. ;)
Me too, me too, on both! :D

dclary
03-28-2007, 05:34 PM
I am a writer. I know what suspension of disbelief is. But as a techie, that kind of things breaks my suspension of disbelief -- it's just common sense, not rocket science. It makes me mad.

A wifi connection at a BAR?

(Don't even mention that in Firewall, Harrison Ford whipped out his laptop and started checking things online in the middle of nowhere -- without any type of wireless connection! ARGHHHHH!)

That's the kind of things that bug me the most in thrillers, that the writer feels he can just do anything without credibility as long as the readers can suspend their disbelief.

Here in LA you can find WiFi almost anywhere. Even some bars. And if you've got wireless broadband, you can get online anywhere you've got cell service. My laptop has a Cingular wireless broadband modem. I don't need to be anywhere near a hotspot to get online.

merper
04-01-2007, 09:19 AM
They're going to have to start bringing in aliens soon to retire plot twists they've already used 10 thousand times. Have Battlestar Galactica find Earth at the start of season 7 I say - enough Arabs, Eastern Europeans and Chinese - let's see how Bauer handles Psylons.

Anthony Ravenscroft
04-01-2007, 07:20 PM
A few seasons ago, Chloe unshipped a rifle from a car & blasted the living crap outta someone who was trying to run a witness (& incidentally Chloe) down without so much as a blink. Right then, I knew I'd marry her. Um, but for the most part she's just a whiny/scowly nerd who ought to be spanked more often, & if Morris would demand his nads back he'd already be doing same.

Notice how often these people need to eat, pee, or recharge their cellphones...? Please, kamerad, give to me big break.

FatTire
04-01-2007, 07:23 PM
This season is a huge let down. You know what's going to happen because it has happened before on this show. They need to get it out of LA and find a new scare. This nuke stuff is old and cliche.

It would be much more scary if Jack has to stop G.W. Bush from a 3rd term...

clockwork
05-09-2007, 06:59 AM
Wow. They really are recycling old plotlines, eh? Last night's episode had to be the tenth or eleventh time that a major security breach has taken place at CTU and at least the second or third time that it has been attacked outright.

Of course, it's so damn wonderfully made that I can pretty much forgive them for it. Whatever the complaints regarding storyline, at least the production values and drive hasn't dipped one iota.

Last night's attack (the Chinese assault on CTU) was particularly cheeky though because the idea was lifted almost in its entirety from the Playstation 2 game which featured a similar attack and resultant hostage situation. It even had a shocking execution of a front-running, albeit secondary, character.

I have high hopes for a dramatic conclusion to this season and a fantastic seventh season.

clock_work9 - goodwill ambassador to 24, no matter how bad it gets.

billythrilly7th
05-09-2007, 05:23 PM
24 is going to be in NYC next year.

Or so they say.

I like it.

We need to shake it up.

Although I love this season, it's definetly not as great as the others.

I'd prefer if the writers took a couple weeks to plot out the entire season instead of just making it up as they go.

But that's me. I like to outline, even if minimally.

Thank you.

clockwork
05-09-2007, 06:23 PM
I was thinking - as I am prone to do sometimes - that an extended sequence might be interesting. I can't think of a great example off-hand but say if, at the start of the season, Jack Bauer went to a corporate/government fundraiser at a skyscraper a la John McClane in Die Hard. Soon after, the bad guys arrive (complete with charasmatic Alan Rickman head cheese) and a prolonged half-season's worth of storyline takes place inside that location with Bauer running around trying to save the day.

You could still have secondary storylines running in Washington, around LA etc but I think what's been missing of late is a sense of the real-time aspect. The episodes are so largely self-contained that they could really be taking place at any time. The events of one episode rarely knock on to the rest and it seems like they're racing, racing, racing and sometimes that actually decreases momentum.

Or, think back to season one - that was a long, damn twenty-four hours that felt like twenty four hours. I think that sense of time is missing now.

:Shrug:

I'm all for outlining too.

Sooperjesus
05-09-2007, 08:15 PM
I had to stop watching 24. This season was especially lame, and the dialogue... sheesh. It's all: Prompt. Question. Answer. I'm really disappointed in the writers and the minor actors.

Anyway, Heroes has the same time slot, and that's a far better show.

clockwork
05-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Heroes bored me very quickly.

merper
05-09-2007, 10:09 PM
They need to stop giving Jack love interests. It's obvious that everyone he touches is cursed. That whole side story with audrey pissed me off to no end.

At least they killed Milo.

ChaosTitan
05-10-2007, 02:23 AM
At least they killed Milo.

Anytime a character has a heart-to-heart with an unrequited love interest, one of them's gonna die.

I just kept hoping it would be Nadia. She annoys me.

dclary
05-10-2007, 02:32 AM
Which one was Milo? Drunk foreigner who took a drill to the shoulder? Or curly head middle-management tall guy?

clockwork
05-10-2007, 03:28 AM
The curly headed nerd from season one.

merper
05-10-2007, 03:28 AM
Tall guy.

There was no way to tell one of them would die for sure though. That Michelle and Tony thing lasted 2 or 3 seasons.

ChaosTitan
05-10-2007, 05:16 AM
Yeah, but Tony and Michelle never felt forced. Milo and Nadia always (at least, to me) felt like a second-rate wannabe relationship. Like the producers wanted to try and make something happen, since they killed off their "series couple," but it didn't work. They didn't have enough meaningful interaction to develop feelings that made sense over the course of the season.

That and they had no chemistry. Chemistry helps.

Easy fix? Kill one. Adds tension and solves the problem.

merper
05-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Oh yeah, it was god awful. Though I think that after the whole nuke, they pretty much phoned in the entire plot.

I'm hoping that the season will end with them not stopping the chinese and the Russians attacking the American base, starting a hot or cold war. Now that would be a great place to start things in season 7. The head producer said the season was going to end with a really big bang of sorts, so I'm still hopeful.

merper
05-22-2007, 11:36 AM
So much for a good ending to the season.

JanDarby
05-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Though I think that after the whole nuke, they pretty much phoned in the entire plot.

Yeah, it's kinda' hard to escalate the tension after the protagonist has just, with due deliberation, killed his best friend to stop a nuke, and the nuke is detonated anyway, all in the first -- what? -- 1/6th of the story. They go from that at the beginning to, at the climax, saving a single person from someone who's not going to kill or torture him, and who could be rescued at a later date. Kinda' anti-climactic for a climax.

I guess the lesson in that, for all writers, is to beware the overly dramatic start to a story, leaving nowhere to build toward.

JD

FatTire
05-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Yeah, it's kinda' hard to escalate the tension after the protagonist has just, with due deliberation, killed his best friend to stop a nuke, and the nuke is detonated anyway, all in the first -- what? -- 1/6th of the story. They go from that at the beginning to, at the climax, saving a single person from someone who's not going to kill or torture him, and who could be rescued at a later date. Kinda' anti-climactic for a climax.

I guess the lesson in that, for all writers, is to beware the overly dramatic start to a story, leaving nowhere to build toward.

JD

While I agree with your points, Josh could not have been saved if he were on the oil platform during the air strike. He would have died. And Jack going after him wasn't so much about saving Josh as it was about going after his dad and the Chinese.

The ending of this season set the way for Jack's return. He is CTU and he knows that no matter how hard he tries to leave, it is in his blood. I think they have closed all of their storylines to focus next season on Jack doing what Jack does best, kicking ass.

merper
05-23-2007, 12:51 AM
He is CTU and he knows that no matter how hard he tries to leave, it is in his blood. I think they have closed all of their storylines to focus next season on Jack doing what Jack does best, kicking ass.

They said they were planning something really different for next season. Then again they also said this season's finale would be really explosive, so not sure I can take their word. Seriously though, what's left? We got assasination, presidential power plays, nukes, chemical weapons, biological weapons, cyber weapons, suicide bombings... what's left?! They really need to turn the focus off of jack, because the one thing that destroys all the tension is that you know that Jack can never die. I really don't know how they're going to mesh that with coming up with a completely different type of scenario. Maybe Pakistan and India threaten to go to nuclear war and Jack gets sent in to stop it? Or maybe he has to stop a genocide in some African country that for some reason has ramifications in LA. It's the only regions of the world a threat hasn't emerged from yet. That and the Aussies. Or Antartica. Jack vs. Global warming?

*On an ice flow, gun drawn, aimed at tip of iceberg
Jack(in harsh whisper): All right, last chance. Tell me who's making you melt? Who are you working for?
Iceberg: <Siding cracks, fragment slides into ocean>
Jack: Have it your way. (into radio) Bring in the Hummers.

I don't know.

FatTire
05-23-2007, 02:13 AM
I've heard a rumor that they are planning on filming in NYC next season. Don't know how much of it is true, but NYC would be a welcomed setting from me.

small axe
05-23-2007, 03:14 AM
I enjoy 24 (though other seasons have been far better) but when Jack was gazing down at the sleeping Audrey and he sez something like "But i'm at a crossroads and I must go" I thought ... oooof. Clunker.

And really, talk about giving us a final scene that in no way propels us into wanting to see the next season? Last season, we left Jack on a boat heading to the torture-gulags of Commie China ... and this season ends with ... well, if you cannot end with him hanging from a cliff, end with him standing on a cliff looking at the sea? No.

Come back with some spunk, Jack. Come back with a dangerous femme fatale character. I shall proclaim it across the web: Mandy the Terrorist. She's the tough chicklet who's fought Jack to a standstill every season she's been on 24. She should pull herself off those L Word girls and threaten Western civilization again!

Anthony Ravenscroft
05-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Chloe's pregnant -- what a stupid, trite, cliched gimmick.

Jack has (once again) been beaten, shot, stabbed, hasn't eaten in 24 hours, has killed his best friend AND his brother turned out to be evil AND Dad too AND Dad's dead... can we possibly pack any more melodrama in here??? Maybe Jack can become manager of an orphanage & the badguys can kill another waif every ten minutes. Or maybe duckies or puppies.

This would have been a wasted hour. Instead, they stretched it out a little to pack in more commercials, so I feel safe announcing that the series has definitely slipped another notch or three.

ChaosTitan
05-24-2007, 08:11 AM
I was on the edge of my seat, but that's only because I'd convinced myself they brought Buchanan back simply to kill him off. Glad I was wrong. I love James Morrison.

With all of the other crazy cliffhangers on shows this season, it was nice for this one to just...end. The crisis was over. Done. Finito. It wasn't as cool as his "David Banner walks off into the sunset" moment from the end of season four, but what can you do?

And on that final close-up of Kiefer, did anyone else else think, "Holy cow, he looks just like his dad!" ;)

tourdeforce
05-24-2007, 03:48 PM
The last time we saw Jack's dad, he was alive.

We never saw a dead body.

Make of that what you will.

Tiger
05-24-2007, 11:00 PM
He's alive alright... Probably reprogramming Tony Almeida and Curtis, whose deaths were faked under sponsorship from a rogue Somalian warlord.

ChaosTitan
05-25-2007, 01:47 AM
He's alive alright... Probably reprogramming Tony Almeida and Curtis, whose deaths were faked under sponsorship from a rogue Somalian warlord.

:ROFL:

I just read a blurb over on TVGuide.com that said the producers briefly considered the idea of having Tony appear alive and well at the very end of the finale. As much as I love Carlos Bernard, I'm glad they didn't go there.

JanDarby
05-25-2007, 03:24 AM
I'd convinced myself they brought Buchanan back simply to kill him off.

That's what I thought too. No way he was going to be able to retire to his cabin in Vermont, all happy with his wife.

Probably just saving their deaths for the next season.

Tiger
05-25-2007, 04:05 AM
If you want to really stick it to someone who's never seen the show, give them boxed sets of the first three seasons. A guy at the office came in all bleary eyed one morning because he "couldn't stop watching the GDMF things!"

Serenity
05-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Yea! I can now participate in the '24' thread, because I have finally watched the finale. All in all, I liked it. Predictable? Maybe, but that doesn't take away from my overall enjoyment.

A bit of a "huh?" :Wha: To the tiny bit with Milo's brother. I kept expecting that to be 'more'. Actually, I thought the actor was kind of cute, so maybe I was just hoping for more. Hey, a girl's gotta have priorities.

And was anyone else yelling at Jack to take the component from his father at the end?

edit: Actually, thinking back, Jack had no reason to suspect that his father had the component, did he? Ack... I can feel the headache coming on.

Anyhow, this wasn't my favorite season, but it wasn't so bad that I won't tune in next year. However, they had better grab me within the first two episodes...

ChaosTitan
09-20-2007, 06:48 AM
While the new season doesn't begin until January '08, info is already starting to come in regarding the new season. An old cast member is returning to the show, and it's a doozy (http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Todays-News/24-Clocks-Shocking/800022543#comments).

totidem_verbis
09-20-2007, 06:59 AM
While the new season doesn't begin until January '08, info is already starting to come in regarding the new season. An old cast member is returning to the show, and it's a doozy (http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Todays-News/24-Clocks-Shocking/800022543#comments).

:Jaw: I thought he was dead! It looked like he died. I completely missed the missing silent clock.

seun
09-20-2007, 02:27 PM
No way. That's just :crazy:

rhymegirl
09-20-2007, 03:22 PM
SPOILER WARNING

The new season doesn't start until January?? Oh no. I became a fan over the summer. We watched seasons 1 through 5 on DVDs.

And I love Tony! It would be nice to see him still alive.

seun
09-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Don't know if you want to edit that, rhymegirl. It's a bit of a spoiler for those who don't click on the link.

Enzo
10-24-2008, 04:50 AM
Picking up an old thread ... because the trailer for the two-hour special 24: Redemption is up aka Jack Bauer goes to Africa:

http://www.fox.com/24/trailer/

Madisonwrites
10-24-2008, 04:56 AM
My sister is a big 24 fan. Me, not so much. I prefer TOS Star Trek, but I'm glad the series is back for those who like it!

ChaosTitan
10-24-2008, 06:56 AM
I'm looking forward to this. After a year and a half off the air, I hope this brings 24 back in a big way. The last season was kinda...well...not great.

katiemac
10-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Nice shot of Jon Voight.

From the looks of the promo it doesn't look like Jack Bauer will be electrocuting anyone with a lamp any time soon. Shucks. ;)

Fox The Cave
10-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Only a month before Jack's back...!

And Tony too - still confused as hell at how they're gonna work that one in.

ChaosTitan
10-25-2008, 07:25 AM
And Tony too - still confused as hell at how they're gonna work that one in.

I have been stewing over this ever since they first announced his return last winter. I love Tony Almeida. I just hope they bring him back and do his character justice (since his "death" was kinda dumb).