PDA

View Full Version : everything's subjective, or is it subjunctive?

Prawn
03-20-2007, 02:57 AM
Pick one!
On his first trip to Gaza, Akiva had felt as if he were/was in a movie and someone had slowed down the action.

Flay
03-20-2007, 03:07 AM
I'd say were; but I'm a Canuck, & for some reason we seem to be especially fond of the subjunctive mood. Theodore Bernstein said thirty years ago that the subjunctive was vanishing from written English. It's not quite dead yet, though.

maestrowork
03-20-2007, 03:10 AM
In this case, I would go with "were" (subjunctive). The fact is that he is NOT in a movie with slow motion.

Prawn
03-20-2007, 03:29 AM
Thanks, that's what I thought too. I shouldn't have listened to MS Word's grammar check.
P

Tish Davidson
03-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Were. It's subjunctive contrary to fact. He is not actually in a movie.

Medievalist
03-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Were, dude. Totally. I know it seems odd since were is usually plural, but . . . it's the subjunctive form.

Maryn
03-20-2007, 05:17 PM
I remain astonished that anybody who writes well leaves Word's grammar check on. C'mon, Prawn, trust your gut and turn that sucker off. You're a writer! (And we won't tell a soul if you turn it on to check your manuscript one time, just before you submit it. Deal?)

Maryn, who thinks it's probably not possible to program a good grammar checker

Jamesaritchie
03-20-2007, 06:04 PM
I remain astonished that anybody who writes well leaves Word's grammar check on. C'mon, Prawn, trust your gut and turn that sucker off. You're a writer! (And we won't tell a soul if you turn it on to check your manuscript one time, just before you submit it. Deal?)

Well, I do leave it turned on. I just don't trust it. But if a writer actually bothers to look at the rules the grammar check displays, it's possible to learn a great deal about grammar.

Prawn
03-20-2007, 07:22 PM

My novel is done. I didn't even spell check it until I finished the rough draft. It took me two and a half hours!

The grammar checker quit underlining after 30K words, and now that it is all spellchecked, the grammar checker has come back to life, and underlined the sentence I posted.

Tish Davidson
03-21-2007, 12:11 AM

I leave it on, but I use my brain, too. It is especially helpful if you set the optional settings to flag sentences in passive voice.