Time out

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I spent a great deal of time yesterday going over a bunch of old posts. And I realized something we've been reahashing the same crap. I've seen people come and go, and the same misinformation be disproven here again and again.

At this point, I'm tired. The past month, when PA's paid pitbull was harassing me, I began to wonder if it was worth it. Not because it's not worth it to help new authors, but for me personally. I have no stake in PA. I've gotten in fights with people here about stuff, most recently Gary (to whom I apologize if I upset him.) Other issues in my life have come up recently, another issue where people feel they have the right to just steamroll others to further their own ends.

I look at my life, and realize that it's just gotten to be not. worth.it anymore. I've done my best, I've fought the good fight. I've learned a ton about publishing. If I don't know, I know who to ask.

But PA as a business is not worth my time or energy anymore. There is plenty of other people who will continue, and plenty of information out there for people to find who choose to do so. Someone will always choose PA or something like them, for whatever reason. We won't stop them. The best we can do is to educate and let people do what they will.

I'm building a career and, sad to say, moving on from this board. I deleted the PAMB from my favorites weeks ago, and found a freedom and peace I haven't had in a long time.

Burnout, fatigue, whatever. I'll peek in here from time to time, and you might see my comments on your rep points. If I do post it will be about education. No more fighting, no more pounding my head against a wall. I care about writers, but not about PA, and too much of my energy has been spent on them, energy I should be putting into my own books or spending time with my son. I joined this forum to give back - I almost submitted to them before I found this board, by doing a Google search that led me here. I figured I owed it to the universe to pay it forward. I think I have.

So, see ya.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Christine I know how you feel. I've followed your PA adventures and am amazed at the amount of energy you've given to the task of providing solid information. I can only imagine that you need a break from conflict, so do take some time away but don't leave forever. We need you too much. Good luck and best wishes.

Jon

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Christine,

I think if anyone has earned a break from all of this it's you. I want you to know that I admire you for all that you have done here on the board in the PA section. Please take a rest and I hope you and your family will be well. Don't be a stranger, and stop in to say hi once and awhile! :Hug2:

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
I know what you mean, but I still believe that it is important to continue to point out PA's scams and flaws.

I also have no dog in this fight, but I think it's necessary. You'd be surprised when you show people evidence and they say, "But that is from 2 years ago. I think things are different."

But good luck to you. The rest of us will keep up the fight.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Christine, might I suggest just wandering away from the Bewares Boards for a bit and enjoying what the rest of the forums have to offer? no reason to completely abandon AW, but maybe some time away from the heavier forums (and B&B is pretty heavy) might do you some good?

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Christine...I understand your need to walk away for a little bit but I hope you'll be back. You've been a wonderful voice against PA but you're so right, if people care they'll do a little digging and either they'll decide to use PA or not. You can't stop everyone. It's sad PA prays on people but even if we got rid of one, another PA would pop up somewhere else. It's a never-ending battle. But one someone will continue to fight...

I hope I still see you around here, Christine. And if not, you'll be missed!
(((HUGS)))

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'm not leaving AW. And this has nothing to do with the notices PA has sent me, per se, except that they made me take a hard look at what is important to me. Fighting with them is just so not worth it. They wanted to make it personal, and it never was personal to me. I'll fight for authors rights, and I'm not going to be intimidated to give over my First Amendment right to free speech, nor will I run out and recommend PA to my friends and neighbors.

But in the big picture, this has affected my life far more than it should have, and in doing so affects more than just myself, but my family. My dad is getting married in May, my son is growing up, I need to concentrate on that again.

I still luv y'all.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Sigh. I can't win. I made this decision today, and ran some errands. Now there's a note I have to pick up a certified letter? I can't read the sender's name, the postman's handwriting is too bad. Can't pick it up until tomorrow, but it sounds ominous.

What are the odds? So, my friends, stay tuned. I may need you, both for support and helping me fund this fiasco. Yanno, why would you pick on someone you know has no money? Doesn't make sense. I don't even know I could afford a retainer to write a letter to them. The initial consultation is free, but after that.. I'm really in no position financially to even travel to Md.

I hate PA. I used to just dislike them, now I hate them.

Sigh again.

Last edited:

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Can I do that?
I refused to sign their ridiculous settlement, in which I would have had to delete ALL my posts here and not say anything against them ever. Uh, who can tell me where and what I can post on someone else's message board? Not them.

It was silly. And not worth it. They're all not worth it, and I wonder if Vic gets some sort of feeling of self-importance by bullying people.

Like I said, I leaving this part of the board, but I won't have someone try to gag me for speaking my mind. And that's what it is, my mind.

Last edited:

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yeah, but the post man will keep trying to deliver it, I think. I dunno. I don't want anything more to do with them at all. I just don't need the added stress when it doesn't even affect me. I'm not anybody special, I'm not Writer Beware or P&E or TNH or some author who's sold zillions of books. I'm nobody, and I want them to leave me alone already and let me get back to my life! I want to put my energy to more postive purpose.

I mean, probably few people outside of AW have even heard of me, so what's the deal?

Last edited:

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Write, with a big permenant marker on the package, "RETURN TO SENDER."

I do it with AuthorHouse letters all the time. :D

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Christine, just go have a look at the letter, or wait for the postman to bring it, and if it's from Them, refuse to take it. Easy.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
By all means get it, and if it is from them, give it to your attorney unopened.

Regards,
Scott

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Some years ago, I purchased a show dog from a person in Oklahoma. I ended up suing the person for the return of my money, because the dog was not what they claimed it was. I could bring suit in one of two ways:

1) Go to the state where the "crime" was committed and sue them through that state's courts.
2) If I wanted to save myself the expense and hassle of traveling to Oklahoma and have the lawsuit in my state, I had to serve that person on California soil.

I was able to serve them on California soil, so I never had to go to Oklahoma to sue them. FYI, it was a civil suit, as the amount was larger than what was allowed by the small claims courts.

Isn't it correct, that in order for PA to take any kind of action against Christine, they would have to start the lawsuit in her state?

Right now, they are sending nasty letters. However, if it comes down to a lawsuit, I believe they have to bring suit in the state where the alleged "crime" was committed.

PA authors do have to travel to Maryland to resolve their disputes, because they signed a contract saying they would resolve disputes by arbitration in Maryland.

However, Christine is not a former PA author.

Anyone know if I am correct? It may lessen some of the terrible strain and duress that Christine is obviously under at the present time.

Last edited:

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I don't know if it applies to "Internet cases".

Either way, it's just completely ironic that this dumb thing came after I sat down yesterday and decided there was too much anger in my life. This issue and the other I was talking about were making me a sour person, someone I don't want to be.

The universe laughs...

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
They've been very careful to avoid the postal service up until now. Take heart, maybe it's something from a publisher or agent.

And if it is from them... my previous offer stands.

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it applies to "Internet cases".

Either way, it's just completely ironic that this dumb thing came after I sat down yesterday and decided there was too much anger in my life. This issue and the other I was talking about were making me a sour person, someone I don't want to be.

The universe laughs...

Christine,

If you already have legal reresentation in this matter, PA shouldn't be sending you ANYTHING. IT should all go to your council and not to you. I can sympathize with what you're experiencing and I personally applaud you for all taht you've contributed here. There is life outside of PA. Don't let tha tmouse Vic make you miserable. He cannot harm you. Laugh it off if it is a PA document and let your attorney deal with it.

As always, I am here if you need to talk.

Very respectfully,

Greg B

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
PA's address is publically available.

Sign them up for every free mailing list and magazine trial you can find.

:)