Stargate SG-1 - the end of an era

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
After a ten years, Stargate SG-1 has become the longest running sci-fi series in history (or so I've been told). So in memory of perhaps the greatest sci-fi show ever, I have decided to start a thread so we can list our favourite episodes.

Here are a few of mine:-

Season 6, episode 22 - Full Circle

After an off and on season for Daniel Jackson, he finally makes his return in style. He has to help SG-1 when Anubis goes looking for the Eye of Ra on the planet Abidos. Torn between the rules he has to follow as an ascended being, and his bond with his fellow team mates and the people of Abydos, we see him finally take action which ultimately leads to his downfall as an ascended.

Season 4, episode 6 - Window of Opportunity

Stargate command is trapped in a temporal anomaly and the only ones aware of it are, Jack and Teal'c. Sort of like groundhog day, except better and lot funnnier. They have to break the time loop they are stuck in, but not before having a lot of fun on the base.

Season 7, episodes 21, 22 - Lost city

Part two was better than part one, but I had to mention them together. When Anubis begins an all out attack of Earth, Sg-1 has to find the Lost city of the Ancients to help them destroy Anubis' fleet. Great special effects in this one, especially the final scenes when they are at antartica and the prometheus turns up.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Just two for me - and they're both because of one-liners.

Window of Opportunity (for "In the middle of my backswing?")

and

The Other Guys (for "worship at the altar of Roddenberry")

I am going to miss it. It's the only show I've watched consistantly for a long time.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Just two for me - and they're both because of one-liners.

Window of Opportunity (for "In the middle of my backswing?")

Yea, window of opportunity was one of the funniest episodes of any sci-fi show i have seen. And them playing golf in the gate room was priceless.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
My favourite episode was the 200th episode. Ive never seen self-parody done so well. And I always liked that in the first episode they say they had to McGyver something to be able to dial the gate.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I've always been an off-and-on watcher of SG-1. Rarely watched the first run eps (even after SciFi Channel took over the show). I always caught them in reruns or on DVD. I liked the series as a good diversion, and have always had a soft spot for Richard Dean Anderson.

Of the eps I have seen, I'm on board with "Window of Opportunity" as being one of the best. It has the honor of being the first entire ep of SG1 I ever sat down and watched.

I loved the 200th ep as well, nevada. Too funny.

Also really liked "Forever in a Day," the ep where Daniel's wife (I can't spell her name) dies. Very good ep for Michael Shanks. And the two-parter (was it called "Heroes") where they expounded on duty and honor and poor Janet Fraser died.

I adore Claudia Black. She plays a great, funny character, but I will always prefer the early seasons (first five). The camaraderie between Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c was always the appeal to me, and without that core four, it's just not the same show.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Well said, everyone. :)

SG-1 leaves behind a lot of fond memories. The later cast changes lost the show some of its appeal (in my opinion), but change in any long-running series is inevitable, and the newcomers tried their best. I've not quite tuned into Atlantis yet, but I shall persevere.

Not that it matters, but I think a certain alien with a time machine and two hearts beats 10 years.

-Derek

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
Season 4, episode 6 - Window of Opportunity

Stargate command is trapped in a temporal anomaly and the only ones aware of it are, Jack and Teal'c. Sort of like groundhog day, except better and lot funnnier. They have to break the time loop they are stuck in, but not before having a lot of fun on the base.

Really difficult to pick a favorite ep, but this is probably mine. The golfing through the gate was wonderful, Jack riding a bike through the corridors of SG Command,Teal'c finally decking the guy that kept decking him and his small smile of satisfaction, Daniel's bewildered fascination when Jack actually knew more than he did about an ancient language -- and, of course, the kiss.

(Which reminds me; if they don't properly "end" the relationship between Sam and Jack, I will be pissed.)

It was never the same after Jack and General Hammond left, though I adore Ben Browder and Claudia Black and thought both characters had real potential for growth; I'm sort of hoping they -- and perhaps Daniel -- might show up on Stargate Atlantis as regulars or semi-regulars.

I just don't get the SciFi channel, I really don't. They've had some good shows, and more opportunities to steal a few the bigger networks screwed up (Threshold, Invasion, John Doe), but their selection process appears to be flipping a coin or something.

:e2hammer: