...prepare to die!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
The adaption to movie was based on a book adaption of the original which thankfully adapted out a bunch of nonesense from the original writer.

So if you are talking about the adaption from the adaption then yes, I'd say it was a perfect adaption.

As for the movie, I found it hilarious when I was growing up, I still find it hilarious, so I'm not sure if it's perfect, but it's pretty dang close.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Tricky one. Memorable performances from the leads (even André), some smart dialogue and set pieces, but... at the risk of being stoned by the howling mob... the cheesy FX weren't exactly ILM quality, and I didn't much like the bookends.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/
Screenplay by William Goldman, from his own novel.

-Derek

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
the cheesy FX weren't exactly ILM quality, and I didn't much like the bookends.

Isn't that consistent with cult films that have such memorable lines that fans memorize the whole dang script? :)

If there's a such thing as a perfect film. . .

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
See I actually like the bookends. I think they add to the "wink" the whole things makes to the audience.

Sure, it doesn't have the slickest production quality, but I was thinking more about the storytelling, the dynamic rise and fall of the plot, characters you immediately care about.

I just watched it again with my two oldest kids (both boys, 7 and 3). From the moment it started, they were glued to the screen. Now given they are both rabid about Star Wars and the flash-bang style of that, I was amazed and actually thought they would zone out before the action kicked in.

I actually spent a chunk of time watching THEM watch the movie. Obviously there's some adult moments (insofar as an adult gets a gag that goes over a kid's head, not anything saucy or violent), but they were lead along perfectly. They jumped where they were supposed to jump, felt sad where that was needed, laughed when it was funny, were excited during the fights, shocked at the twists, leaned in when it all looks lost before the successful resolution of the adventure.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
My seven-year olds love The Princess Bride -- it's a brilliant movie, and my husband and I can go through it reciting the entire thing line by line.

And my gawd, Cary Elwes was cute.

Farm boy, stand there and look tasty for a moment!

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
It's not perfect, no.

But it's as close to pefect as anything ought to be.

It's also a great "litmus test" movie. If someone says that they hate "The Princess Bride", you should X them forever. You don't want people like that in your life.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
The adaption to movie was based on a book adaption of the original which thankfully adapted out a bunch of nonesense from the original writer.

So if you are talking about the adaption from the adaption then yes, I'd say it was a perfect adaption.

As for the movie, I found it hilarious when I was growing up, I still find it hilarious, so I'm not sure if it's perfect, but it's pretty dang close.

um. Ice. That S.Morgenstern stuff is a literary device. Ol'Billy wrote the original. There was no adaption. It's his screenplay based on his book.

And, yeah. An almost perfect film.

Except that Westly has no flaws. even when he's dead, he's perfect.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
um. Ice. That S.Morgenstern stuff is a literary device. Ol'Billy wrote the original. There was no adaption. It's his screenplay based on his book.

And, yeah. An almost perfect film.

My bad, thanks for the correction.

Reaction score
My seven-year olds love The Princess Bride -- it's a brilliant movie, and my husband and I can go through it reciting the entire thing line by line.

And my gawd, Cary Elwes was cute.

Farm boy, stand there and look tasty for a moment!

Try Kiss the Girls - yummy, that accent! You sooooo would, wouldn't you? Only while Purefoy was taking a rest, though.

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
I always liked it when I was younger but haven't seen it in years. I remember liking everything about it except the scene with Billy Crystal and Carol Kane. It always fell flat with me. But maybe it just wasn't my kind of humor.

I think the script is probably pretty close to perfect. My problem with that scene is more the performances than the scene itself. I think visually, the film could have been better. Good production design, but the filmmaking technique is pretty uninspired. Sorry Rob Reiner, it's just what I think.

But script is a solid A.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com

Well there is the part where he spent the last, what? three years? being the murderous Dread Pirate Roberts!!!!

However, that's glossed over and is clearly meant as a device to explain his skills and knowledge. But he's supposed to be perfect.

This is TRUE love, we're talking about. He's a fairy-tale hero.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Not to mention the whole thing was a farce on fairytales. It wasn't supposed to be realistic. It was supposed to make fun of every single fantasy out there. It did an excellent job.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
The book is worth reading too, it gives more background on Inigo, Fezzik and Viccini, and the swordfight scene is excellent!

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I never read the book, but I really liked the movie. Inigo was a hoot.

So this whole S.Morgenstern thing is really strange. I read an account of it on Wikipedia. The author is blaming a lawsuit from S. Morgenstern's heirs are preventing the sequel from release. They are taking this joke a long way.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
Actually, listening to Goldman's commentary on the dvd is funny. he'll be talking about a scene, it's construction and the things he had to research to write it properly- then stop to watch the scene- and then pick up the commentary as soon as it's over. Especially when he says, "oh wait, i want to see this scene."

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Isn't that consistent with cult films that have such memorable lines that fans memorize the whole dang script? :)
Point taken, but Princess Bride's lines are so often quoted because they're good, not because they're cringingly awful. :D

See I actually like the bookends. I think they add to the "wink" the whole things makes to the audience.
Everything you say is true, I can't argue with that. Tho' what I didn't much like about the bookends is that it makes the rest of the film totally unreal. Yes yes it's supposed to be unreal, it's a fantasy story in the truest sense -- a magical tale to be read to the kids at bed-time. But the realist part of me, with feet firmly grounded in concrete, wonders how a straightforward action swashbuckler version would have played out, with maybe Buttercup as the narrator looking back.

...moved thread to Movies and TV forum. There's got to be a whole bunch of Princess Bride fans out there who might not visit Screen Writing forum and see this.

-Derek

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
How can anyone not like the book ends? It had Peter Falk in it!

And Fred Savage too, but he's only useful when he's chasing Winnie on our behalf.

"Buh-bye! Have fun storming the castle...!"

I consider it a prequel to Robin Hood: Men In Tights. Which makes alarming sense, if you think about it. :D

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
The Princess Bride.

Perfect movie?

Perfect script?

Perfect adaption?
I don't know anything about it's literary paper trail. I do think it's a funny movie.

The perfect movie? That animal hasn't been invented yet.

I certainly don't even think this is the funniest movie.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I always liked it when I was younger but haven't seen it in years. I remember liking everything about it except the scene with Billy Crystal and Carol Kane. It always fell flat with me. But maybe it just wasn't my kind of humor.
I agree--the weakest part of the movie. Crystal was trying too hard, imo.

So, it's not perfect. But it's darn good.

Anybody want a peanut?