PDA

View Full Version : Not THAT big a deal, but

skelly
03-19-2007, 04:46 PM
I was Googling some SF poets to recommend to somebody in another thread, and following links all over the place. I came upon something called the Internet Speculative Fiction Database, and whaddya know? A poem that I published freakin twenty years ago got me listed there. True, it's just a Wiki project, but it's still kinda cool to see your name and work listed somewhere right alongside the big boys/girls. Maybe I can find a way to work it into that noticeably blank space on my cover and query letters. It was a nice pick-me-up, anyway :)

CaroGirl
03-19-2007, 04:55 PM
That is too a big deal! Congratulations!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Yes, it is a Big Deal. Congrats!

Rolling Thunder
03-19-2007, 05:16 PM
That's great, Skelly!

AllyWoof
03-19-2007, 05:49 PM
That is a big deal! I have been published twice in my life time. The only time I saw my work on-line was when I cut and pasted it to the SYW forum on this discussion board! You go!

skelly
03-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the positive vibes you guys! I was getting kinda down about this massive rewrite that I have to do for my YA novel, so I guess the whole thing just seemed sort of portentous. I hope so, anyway :)

karo.ambrose
03-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Hey Skelly,

Don't get down about the whole massive rewrite thing. I rewrote my MS twice and now I'm rewriting again (yes, I'm finally getting back into it... give me a month to two months I'd say and I'll have something for you to read). I actually think the rewrites are more rewarding than finishing the rough draft because you get to discover your characters more, your plot more, and pretty much raise everything to its fullest potential. Sure, it's a little disheartening at first because it feels like a huge roadblock, but once you get into the meat of it, it's actually a lot of fun.

I wasn't necessarily sure your MS needed a complete rewrite, but if you feel like this is the right thing to do, go with your gut. And definitely grab some more betas to give you a better feel for your writing. And I stress the word 'feel.' One thing I've seen people do on the SYW forums when they share is they change everything the readers recommend, which I don't think they should do. Use what works and ignore what doesn't for you, but have an open mind about everything, which I don't think will be a problem with you.

And congrats on your online pub. That would make me feel a little stunned too.

Arisa81
03-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Well, that is exciting! Congrats.

wyntermoon
03-20-2007, 01:11 AM
How exciting! :D

Jenny
03-20-2007, 03:07 AM
Very, very nice. Good luck with the rewrite!

skelly
03-20-2007, 09:47 AM
I actually think the rewrites are more rewarding than finishing the rough draft because you get to discover your characters more, your plot more, and pretty much raise everything to its fullest potential.

That's the key point. I think the most important thing that I have learned from you is that I've been taking a too narrow-minded approach, focusing a little too much on getting all the plot twists and turns in there and not spending enough time on camera angles and lighting. I think if it had just been a matter of POV I would have just tightened it a little and moved on. But something else I learned about myself (with your help), I can raise the tension level up there fairly well, but I have this quirk about me that I must then immediately resolve it. I tend to do that in real life as well; diffuse tense situations immediately, before they turn into conflict. Of course, in fiction, that's precisely what you want! Egads.

Anyway, sorry for the mini-essay out of nowhere :) Thanks for the kind thoughts, all.

Saundra Julian
03-20-2007, 04:22 PM
It's always nice to see someone appreciates your efforts...congratulations!

Toothpaste
03-20-2007, 10:03 PM
That is too cool! Congrats skelly!