re-querying

emsuniverse

Back to freelancing again...
Registered
Reaction score
I queried many, many agents, getting many, many rejections. A few gave me very nice suggestions (one in particular), and I ended up examining my book and rewriting most of it. I also rewrote the query - in my first query letter, the way I described my book didn't make much sense. I know that now.

What's the proper etiquette of re-querying? I want to send a new query not just to the ones who gave me personal feedback, but to the ones who just sent a form rejection. I've already sent the three who gave me feedback new queries, but I want to work on the others.

Can I do that? Do I mention subbing to them before? Or do I just let it go and not bring it up? There's some really good agents I'd like to try again.

Em

p.s. I didn't change the name of my novel, does that matter?

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I would double check agentquery.com to get more possibilities.
You do not have to tell them you are requerying but if you decide to do it be prepared for the fact that some agents will remember the project (especially if you keep the same title).
When I re queried agents it was always for another project.
Keep in mind you can DO anything you want. The question is whether it is wasted effort or not.
This is when starting book number 2 is a good idea.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
If the agents you are requerying rejected you first time around on just the query letter then I think it most unlikely any of them will remember you, unless it was last week. These people get hundreds of queries a month. I would not mention that you've tried them before, but do try out your query letter at SYW

Pisarz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharppenediting.com
I'm all about the requery. I overhauled the query (partly because it needed revising and partly because I revised the MS itself) and retitled it. I waited 5 to 6 months and got 2 requests for fulls and 4 requests for partials on agents who sent me form rejections based on the query. (And I'm still waiting to hear back on all except one full).

Try it. Good things can happen. :)

Last edited:

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Agent blogs I've read said they don't mind a requery if the book has been substantially reworked. Still, they are individuals, so I personally would be tempted to change the title, just in case some of them found it off-putting.

Disclaimer: I have no pertinent experience. What the agents say is much more valuable than what I think.

emsuniverse

Back to freelancing again...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm going to finish off this batch of agents, then, if there are no bites, I'm going to wait awhile then start re-querying.

I am determined to get an agent. It WILL happen! :)

Just Me 2021

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I wanted to encourage you about requerying also. I just got a request for a partial off a requery after changing the title of the book and revising my query letter.

Wishing you positive experiences with the requery!

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
If you've improved your book, rewritten your query, and retitled it, then go ahead and requery. Though I'd be selective, first targeting those agents who never responded, esp. those agents who didn't respond to your email queries, as it's quite possible that they never got them. (I got my present agent on a re-requery, each one an email.)

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I just reworked my query, the novel is much longer, and I added my publishing credit. I had changed the title but went back to the original.

I sent it out to five agents via email on the weekend, realizing too late that one of the agents had rejected this book about a year ago.

Today, he sent an email that he's interested in seeing more.

So... it works.

iwant2beabestseller

What if you were rejected by a publisher before (when unagented)? Can you ask your agent to submit your work to the same publisher again after you improved your work?

Just Me 2021

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Right now I have SIX agents reading partials and full mss off re-queries. SIX. They had all rejected the query the first time around.

Must have been a really sucky title and query letter I had going first time out.

egriffith

VP Grad and Published AUTHOR!
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
egriffith.info
I just got an agent a couple of days ago, and the first thing she asked me to do was change the title of my book -- one I'd carried in my head since 1993 (even though I didn't write the book until 2006). Makes me wonder how many of the dings I got were because agents were turned off by the title. (New title is rocking good tho...)

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Rewriting can reap good benefits. I know once I've looked at my manuscript for months on end - I couldn't see a problem with it if I tried. Take suggestions as a good sign - a very good sign - Agents are busy bees. If they take the time to offer advice - I would most definitly re-query if you've made some serious change. In the Guide to Literary Agents - it says if an agent gives you a suggestion to change - they probably wouldn't mind another gander at it. I think it's up to you if you mention it. I think you could mention it on the ones who gave you suggestions on the rewrite. Outright rejections - not so much. That will probably just hurt your chance to mention it.

Good luck!

churchillgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I just got an agent a couple of days ago, and the first thing she asked me to do was change the title of my book -- one I'd carried in my head since 1993 (even though I didn't write the book until 2006). Makes me wonder how many of the dings I got were because agents were turned off by the title. (New title is rocking good tho...)
An agent I queried read 50 pps and suggested that I change the title, cut 100 pages (yes, it was too long), write a prologue and then send her the completed ms. I made all the changes and sent it out. She ended up passing on it but it wasn't a lost effort. The novel is tighter, the title is much better and the prologue took care of a problem in timing. Even though she ended up passing, her suggestions resulted in a stronger ms. to send out to others.