Writer/Writer Relationships

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Lately I've been thinking about this a lot. Every relationship I've had up to this point has been with someone who didn't write at all, or someone who wrote very little.

Not only did they not understand why I spent 2 hours on Word processor and then almost every other hour of the day thinking about my story in some way, but they often complained about it and never took my writing/reading seriously. A few times, it actually led to a breakup ("You have to choose- your writing, or me?" "...Okay, bye then" *type type type*).

Do you think a writer/writer relationship would be different? I have a feeling that there would be more respect and understand for the other person's hobbies/work (depending on what stage you're at), but do you think this sort of relationship would ultimately work out better?

Reaction score
I was thinking about this last night. My past relationships have all broken up, not because none of the guys were writers, but because they were tit-heads.

I've never dated a writer, but I'd like to, simply for the joy of talking shop during my down time away from the laptop. Plus, there'd be someone to help me with research for the sex scenes. They'd understand how important that is.

"Hi honey, I'm up to chapter seventeen now and I don't know what this position feels like, now drop 'em!"

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My hubby only reads the paper...and my family has already told me...yes told me...come summer they want my book finished so I can get back to spoiling them, and being the laundry queen full time...enough they've said... :sigh:

But...it's my time for me to dance now---they'll just have to deal with it as I've been living for and through them the last twenty years. Hmph and I'm still a young hot mama... Still, I'll spoil them ;)

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
I have never dated a writer. But my brother lives next to me, and he's a writer, and many friends are writers. A bunch of them come up to my brother's at Thanksgiving and we talk about everything in the world but our writing.

At other times, though we talk daily, I hardly ever talk to my brother about writing.

So I think a mate who was a writer would have to stand on her own merits, not just on being a writer.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I was thinking about this last night. My past relationships have all broken up, not because none of the guys were writers, but because they were tit-heads.

I've never dated a writer, but I'd like to, simply for the joy of talking shop during my down time away from the laptop. Plus, there'd be someone to help me with research for the sex scenes. They'd understand how important that is.

"Hi honey, I'm up to chapter seventeen now and I don't know what this position feels like, now drop 'em!"
Anything for the sake of research....

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
I personally think occupation/career choice has anything to do with it. To me, it all comes down to respect.
My husband respects me and anything I want to try, he supports me 100% and vice versa.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I personally think occupation/career choice has anything to do with it. To me, it all comes down to respect.
My husband respects me and anything I want to try, he supports me 100% and vice versa.
If he ever disrespects you, I'm letting you know right now that I have a rack of weapons unlike anything this world has ever seen before. Just, you know, just in case....

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I don't care about a writer but I definitely want my next relationship to be with someone who actually reads...more than fishing and hunting magazines! :)

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't care about a writer but I definitely want my next relationship to be with someone who actually reads...more than fishing and hunting magazines! :)
*big nod* I've tried and failed at dating a non-reader. It is, in my opinion, one of the worst things for a writer's nerves (or maybe I just get angry even easier than I thought).

"Put the book down, babe" *smooch smooch*

"For the love the all things worldly, go away! I'm on the last chapter, we can do it later! Dumbledore's in trouble!"

Reaction score
One of my exes asked me (and this is the very moment I knew it was over), "Why do you read so much?"

I replied, "Because I want to know."

"Know what?"

"Everything!"

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
My husband isn't a writer, he isn't even artistic (he's a *gasp* engineer) but he really respects my artistic side and knows that a Happy Sara is a Writing Sara. He loves to read, but only non-fiction (specifically history.)

Reaction score
Saritams8, now I've rid myself of the ex, I have more time for reading. Come round to my house. I have a 'cake and books' room. Just be sure not to break the spines or get tea stains on the newer volumes.

Oh, and I find beanbags make more comfortable places to read than chairs.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Saritams8, now I've rid myself of the ex, I have more time for reading. Come round to my house. I have a 'cake and books' room. Just be sure not to break the spines or get tea stains on the newer volumes.

The tub is still my favorite place to read. Most people looking at my bookshelf can tell because the corners of some of my older books are wrinkled, waterlogged, and slightly faded (and smell like flowery soap).

Beanbags are wonderful to read in. It gets rid of that obnoxious cramp you get in the back of your neck when you've been reading for 8 hours straight.

Reaction score
BATH??? BATH???

I wash in the bath. It's about the only place I don't read. I'd be scared of dropping the book. If it's all about being comfortable while you read, I much prefer bed. But then you get the 'propping yourself up on one elbow' cramps, and the red handprint wherever you prop yourself up. I get that on my cheek. Plus, having my hand bent back to prop myself up like that means I get pins and needles when I try to move it.

*sigh*

What I need is a naked Purefoy as a professional book-holder and page-turner, with a lovely Phoenix as a cuppa tea maker and provider of biscuits (ginger crunch creams).

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score

I'm there! I'll bring my tin of Chinese almond cookies with me to share.

Don't worry, I don't break spines, just legs (mostly my own.)

Oh and Tsuki? I love reading in the tub. It's like that old "Calgon, take me away," commercial.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
BATH??? BATH???

I wash in the bath. It's about the only place I don't read. I'd be scared of dropping the book. If it's all about being comfortable while you read, I much prefer bed. But then you get the 'propping yourself up on one elbow' cramps, and the red handprint wherever you prop yourself up. I get that on my cheek. Plus, having my hand bent back to prop myself up like that means I get pins and needles when I try to move it.

*sigh*

What I need is a naked Purefoy as a professional book-holder and page-turner, with a lovely Phoenix as a cuppa tea maker and provider of biscuits (ginger crunch creams).
Just throw some bleach in the water and swish a little- it'll do the cleaning for you. :D

I LOVE Olympic reading (reading for 9 hours or more nonstop) but I get terrible cramps. My eyes dry out, I have to pee really badly, and I'm hungry and thirsty, but I can't do anything about it because I have a cramp in every limb and then some. It's fun :D

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm there! I'll bring my tin of Chinese almond cookies with me to share.

Don't worry, I don't break spines, just legs (mostly my own.)

Oh and Tsuki? I love reading in the tub. It's like that old "Calgon, take me away," commercial.
Party in the cakes and books room! I'll bring some crepes!

Reading in the bathtub is the best thing in the world. It's nice and relaxing, and you can really let yourself get into the story without worrying about being interrupted.

Plus, it's way less eventful than trying to read in the shower (which I still try to do sometimes....)

Reaction score
I shall employ some exquisite boys to give shoulder-massages. Gay ones.

The best foot rub I ever had was off a young man a friend picked up in a club of ill-repute. No tickling, and he rubbed the top of my feet, not the soles. Gay men are fabulous for bitching, talking about shoes and rubbing aching parts.