How much peril is enough?

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a historical thriller, set during the First World War, and have reached a roadblock. Before I go back to restart, I was wondering whether I have to change my entire approach, as follows:

The novel takes place in Belgium in 1916, occupied by German forces, run as a police state. As I have it now, the main character is a Dutch engineer sent by his government to Brussels, with reluctant German consent. Several governments (and private concerns) have a strong interest in his mission and will, during the course of the book, try to influence it, and him. However, as a citizen of a neutral country, the threat to him isn't as great as it would be if he were Belgian. Does this matter absolutely, or is it enough that he quickly--from the first paragraph--gets involved with a Belgian in a resistance network? Would it work equally well (or badly) if the novel began with a Belgian risking his life or liberty to plead with him for a certain outcome to the mission?

Can anyone suggest a novel in which this kind of situation works--a person who has a certain immunity from danger, which he or she compromises? In that kind of book, you know that he can go home again safely, so long as he stays out of trouble. . . but he can't.

Conversely, would it seem stronger to you if I changed the whole thing around and had the main character be Belgian, and the engineer a lesser but still crucial character?

Thanks.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you just need for the main character to have a strong enough reason for his actions. It could be that by being in the resistance he can save the life of someone else (say, an old flame) and/or prevent the Germans from doing something that he feels a personal stake in.

Your story reminds me a bit of Casablanca. Rick is not really in much danger until he helps what's-his-name escape.

And I might think of the story more as "suspense" than a thriller. That seems to fit the description of your story better.

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Lee Child's Jack Reacher always seems to be getting involved in other people's problems. He would pretty much be left alone if he wasn't always helping people. What makes it somewhat believable is that he's just that kind of a guy. So your character's motivations for helping the Belgian character are important to consider.

But I don't know nuthin. :D (What I mean is, take what I say with a grain of salt, because I can't figure out my own WIP.)

ltd.

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I can see why everything depends on the main character's motivation, and I'm ready for that one. But the comment about this being more a suspense novel than a thriller intrigues me. I've checked around the Web, and I can't find anything that helps me distinguish between the two, though I did find a good (and apparently much-reprinted) article by Brian Garfield discussing the ten aspects of writing suspense. What's the difference, then, between a suspense novel and a thriller? Is it that in a thriller, there's supposed to be a character who's oozing evil from every pore? (But that happens in some suspense novels, too--the sociopath who can seem perfectly nice but will reveal his true character when no one's around to stop him.)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
If I were in your shoes, I'd make the Dutch engineer be working on something for the Belgians that the Kaiser is desperate to get his hands on in order to win the war. Perhaps some sort of prototype device that not only had a peaceful purpose, but could be used to safely deliver one of the variety of chemical weapons that were indiscriminately used and not damage the German soldiers firing the device (one of the main problems.) Because the Western front of the war ended fairly quickly when the Germans realized the Allieds would overtake them, the item should be something that would dramatically up the stakes of the war---something like an early version of the V-2 rocket the Germans worked on in WWII.

Just a thought...

What's the difference, then, between a suspense novel and a thriller?

A suspense novel is one in which the primary threat is to the MC or the immediate family. There's less action involved. Think "Rear Window" for a suspense. A thriller is one in which the MC is fighting to prevent a larger body of people from being harmed and the MC is being actively chased. Think "Air Force One" for a thriller.

Last edited:

Histry Nerd

Moving Forward!
Registered
Reaction score
Texas. It's like a whole 'nother country.
NH (Sorry--I couldn't resist) -

I can't point you to a specific story, but I don't see any problem at all with the scenario you have presented. Your MC need not be ideologically neutral just because he comes from a neutral country, and his antagonists need not respect his neutral status if it fits the story. It just has to be believable.

For instance, if he's working on a high-profile project, he might feel a strong personal obligation to become involved and receive pressure from his government to stay neutral. Maybe he has a group of interested handlers: one Dutch, to ensure he does not step out of line; one Belgian, to give the appearance of psuedo-autonomy and pressure him to help the resistance; and one German, to make the Kaiser's interests clear. Now you have significant conflict among just four characters. Add a personal interest (romantic or otherwise) in a member of the resistance, and he's in quite a pickle--while remaining nominatively "neutral."

For what it's worth.
HN

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
NH (Sorry--I couldn't resist) -

For instance, if he's working on a high-profile project, he might feel a strong personal obligation to become involved and receive pressure from his government to stay neutral. HN

Thanks for not resisting. You've guessed my story, almost exactly. My engineer isn't building anything; he and a colleague have been sent to verify certain facts, which they'll report on when they get back to Holland. (This is based on a true story, BTW.) If they decide one way, the Germans will come down heavily on Holland; the other way, it'll be Britain and France. (What the Belgians want doesn't matter, though they have justice on their side, which can be persuasive.) So the technical envoys are indeed under intense pressure from all sides and strict orders from their own government to be absolutely neutral, not that they needed telling. Meanwhile, my MC isn't in Belgium long enough to unpack his suitcase before his neutrality is compromised, against his will, by a Belgian--and the game is on. And yes, there'll be a romantic attachment.