Pet Food Recall - Check yout cupboards!

LindaF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writeformagazines.com
Menu Foods has recalled some of the pet food it manufactures for more than 40 brands, including Iams, Nutro, and Eukanuba...it seems some cats and dogs are suffering from kidney failure after eating the affected products. In fact, it happened to the friend of a writing acquaintance of mine (to her cat, that is), so please check your cupboards to make sure you aren't giving your cat or dog any of the recalled food!

You can find a list of the affected brands here:

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/

And here's a news piece with more info:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6489510,00.html

Please check your cupboards!

Linda
--
Linda Formichelli * http://www.lindaformichelli.com
Co-author of The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock!
The Renegade Writer Blog: http://www.therenegadewriter.com

LindaF

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writeformagazines.com
Annie, I don't see those brands on the list, though they do list Science Diet Feline Savory Cuts (in cans). It also looks like the recall affects North America only.

I hope your kitty feels better soon...

Linda

Annie O

...fueled on Cadburys
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
In my little cottage on Dartmoor...with the pixies
Thank you Linda - I hope so too! The Hill's cans they are recalling are the 5.5 oz - we use smaller cans. I haven't heard any news over here but the food is manufactured in the States. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any news here. What a worry - poor pooches and puddy tats! :(

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My dog eats whatever we're having for supper. Spaghetti, greek salad, prime rib... he's especially fond of Vietnamese beef noodle soup.

I figure if it's not fit for my consumption, it's not fit for him, either.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Here's what AP reported Saturday.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/17/petfood.recall.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Pet owners were worried Saturday that the pet food in their cupboards could be deadly after millions of containers of dog and cat food sold at major retailers across North America were recalled.

Menu Foods -- a major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and other store brands -- recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths.

And here's that list of recalled dog/cat foods again.

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/index.html

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
does anyone know if this stuff is harmful to people, too?

say, if someone were to enjoy it spread on saltines with a fresca?

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm... May be better to go with Vietnamese soup.

Or sardines and onions on the saltine instead.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
We're all safe here, the big dogs get the big bags of dry food, though there's a little dog that for a while had a diet of Ritz crackers and Peter Pan peanut butter...

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I never thought that canned stuff was any good any way. I've always given my dogs dry dog food. Of course, I've never had any little foo-foo yappy spoiled rotten dogs who I thought were my little furry children and fed them something that looked like people food anyway.

Annie O

...fueled on Cadburys
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My dog eats whatever we're having for supper. Spaghetti, greek salad, prime rib... he's especially fond of Vietnamese beef noodle soup.

I figure if it's not fit for my consumption, it's not fit for him, either.

It's not a good idea feeding our animals food we eat as they have different dietary needs. I didn't realise this until very recently, but there are many foods that we eat that are deadly/poisonous to cats and dogs...onions, chocolate, garlic, some mushroom, grapes, raisins, to name but a few. I was happily giving my cats snacks off my plate not realising that onion can cause kidney failure! Just be careful!

Annie O

...fueled on Cadburys
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about the UK sellers? I know my cat food is made in the U.S but the serial numbers are different. My kitty is back to normal again so he may have been just a little under-the-weather.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I checked my cat's Iams; we're safe. But that was after I had to throw my peanut butter out, after that recall. My hubby and I ate half of it. :(

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'll just keep Mabel on the beer as she's doing fine. Sorry, that should read, the beer on Mabel.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If a bit of chocolate or raisins killed dogs I'd have a row of little crosses in the back yard. Yes obligate carnivores have slightly different needs but most manufactured dog foods are nutrituinally about the same as table scraps but with a lot of salt and other crap added.

I feed my dog kibble largely because it is cheap and fairly unlikely to kill him if provided with ample water.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Hi,

I mix one can of the Iams with dry food and split it 3 ways. I've done this since my oldest was a puppy and she's 3.5 years over the life expectancy for the breed (and still very healthy).

Anyway, I checked all of my cans yesterday with the list they had posted on the site and the cans that I have were supposedly fine.

There was another press release so I went back to the site this afternoon. Today they have changed the list and I have 5 cans that were manufactured at the plant they are having issues with. Since I am not going to take any chances, these cans are going back to the store.

I also can't find any info on how they picked the dates that they are recalling. If they selected the dates based on the deaths, then how can they be sure that all deaths were reported and that they have an accurate list for the dates that the food was manufactured.

Judy