03-18-2007, 07:11 PM
What are yours?

How It's Made
Extreme Engineering
MythBusters
Mystery Diagnosis
Dr. G: Medical Examiner

Anything on Animal Planet and HD.

And I can't wait for Planet Earth to premiere.

scarletpeaches
03-18-2007, 07:12 PM
When FBI Death Serial Killers Police Stop Camera Action Murder Cops Go Bad

J. Weiland
03-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Deadliest Catch and Dirty Jobs on Discovery Channel

Going Ape on Animal Planet.

Programs about space and natural disasters on National Geographic.

Ashtal
03-18-2007, 07:24 PM
We had Planet Earth aired in HD on CBC over the last few months and I assure you, it's worth the wait.

It's utterly beautiful.

They are releasing the DVD set in Canada this April.

Marlys
03-18-2007, 07:29 PM
It Takes a Thief

MythBusters

maestrowork
03-18-2007, 07:32 PM
They are releasing the DVD set in Canada this April.

Are they going to release it on HD DVDs?

Shadow_Ferret
03-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Are we only limited to The Discovery Channel? :(

Dirty Jobs
Mythbusters
Future Weapons
A Haunting
Deadliest Catch
It Takes a Thief
Mega Builders
Really Big Things
How It's Made (I enjoy this but I find its put together like a 7th Grade Science film with a really boring narrator)

PeeDee
03-18-2007, 08:10 PM
I like Dirty Jobs. The host not only does interesting jobs, but he's fun to watch. Sardonic and dryly witty, and a general cool guy.

I'm eagerly waiting for Planet Earth and Galapagos. I enjoyed the Perfect Storm show, whatever it was called, where they showed the hypothetical perfect flood, perfect ice storm, perfect typhoon, etc.

I'll watch anything on deep sea biology, my biggest obsessive subject.

Otherwise, I tend to watch the one-off shows. I watched a show a couple nights ago on Supermassive Black Holes.

Last night, I watched a show on the life and writing of Rudyard Kipling.

I go in less for the gimmicky reality-sort of shows like Mythbusters, which my wife watches now and then and mostly I don't.

And if it's doing World War II shows, I'll gobble up the History channel too.

J. Weiland
03-18-2007, 08:13 PM
I watched a show a couple nights ago on Supermassive Black Holes.

Must have been some heavy stuff. ;)

PeeDee
03-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Yeah, it really drew me in.

Cathy C
03-18-2007, 09:26 PM
In order of favs:

MythBusters (fav show of all time: Busting Movie Myths)
Dirty Jobs (fav show of all time: Exterminator gig in the old house)
How it's Made (fav show of all time: making CDs

PeeDee
03-19-2007, 01:11 AM
In fact, there's a whole marathon today of Dirty Jobs, and I've lost way too much time watching Mike Rowe do interesting things.

Ashtal
03-19-2007, 01:13 AM
Are they going to release it on HD DVDs?

That I don't know.

From the Amazon.ca website:

Format: NTSC
Language: English
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
Studio: BBC Warner
DVD Release Date: April 24 2007
DVD Features:
Available Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
The 11-part series shot entirely in high-definition: From Pole to Pole, Mountains, Fresh Water, Caves, Deserts, Ice Worlds, Great Plains, Jungles, Shallow Seas, Seasonal Forests, Ocean Deep
Original U.K. broadcast version, including 90 minutes not shown on the Discovery Channel
110 minutes of behind-the-scenes footage (included on standard-definition DVD release only)
Planet Earth: The Future: 150-minute companion series (included on standard-definition DVD release only)

PeeDee
03-19-2007, 01:18 AM
I would be terribly surprised if they DIDN'T release it on DVD. I'll probably be able to get it at a hideously overpriced amount at the St. Paul Zoo.

Serenity
03-19-2007, 01:33 AM
I am addicted to the Deadliest Catch. I honestly don't know why, maybe because there is no way in hell to possibly script it or make it work for ratings. But it is the only reality tv show I watch, on a regular basis or otherwise. I even sat and watched the marathon they had on a few weeks back. All day. I can't wait for the new episodes to start showing next month.

I don't even like fish and crabs to eat. Go figure...

PeeDee
03-19-2007, 02:23 AM
Would it be hijacking of this thread to say that I shamelessly enjoy the Dog Whisperer show on National Geographic? i don't generally watch people-helping-animals shows (because I just get really mad) but I like watching Ceaser Milan work with the dogs.

benbradley
03-19-2007, 03:33 AM
Not sure if it was on Discovery, but a few years ago I saw a show on the making of ESA's Very Large Telescope (actually, FOUR very large...) in Chile. They flattened the top of a mountain, made the mirrors elsewhere and trucked them up the hillside.

I don't have cable so I rarely watch such channels, but for Christmas someone gave me this 5-DVD Discover-channel "100 Greatest Discoveries" with Bill Nye, he's a trip.

jvc
03-19-2007, 05:11 AM
Would it be hijacking of this thread to say that I shamelessly enjoy the Dog Whisperer show on National Geographic? i don't generally watch people-helping-animals shows (because I just get really mad) but I like watching Ceaser Milan work with the dogs.

Dont make me warn you, Pete, about hijacking ;) .

jvc
03-19-2007, 05:12 AM
I have to admit, I dont watch much of the discovery channel, but i do like to watch mythbusters.

kristie911
03-19-2007, 05:21 AM
I'm addicted to watching A Haunting on Discovery...I also enjoy Deadliest Catch when I remember it's on.

I also watch Most Haunted on the Travel Channel.

But mostly I like the History Channel, especially the Civil War stuff.

writerterri
03-19-2007, 06:29 AM
One of my favorite channels! I don't care for Extreme Engineering it's out of my geek mode.

What about the little people? I like those shows too. The mom, forgot her name, she cracks me up.

J. Weiland
03-19-2007, 09:10 PM
I am addicted to the Deadliest Catch. I honestly don't know why

Maybe, just maybe, my urge to keep watching foulmouthed seamen haul in crab originates in the possibility that I am secretly longing for someone to fall overboard so we can get some real action (of course, I hope they get him up again). Last week was a cliffhanger. Some sailor hurt his ankle and jumped around as if he had hurt his ankle. I think he might have, and I'm gonna find out tonight.

Last night they were slapping a plant around on Mythbusters to see if it had feelings. I enjoyed that too.

PeeDee
03-19-2007, 09:13 PM
The Discovery Spoof show was funny last night. :D

Shadow_Ferret
03-19-2007, 10:01 PM
...for Christmas someone gave me this 5-DVD Discover-channel "100 Greatest Discoveries" with Bill Nye, he's a trip.
Bill Nye? The Science Guy? He's on Discover now? My son always watched him on Disney, I think.

The Discovery Spoof show was funny last night. :D

Wait. That's a regular show now? I thought it was just a one-time special. :(

PeeDee
03-19-2007, 10:08 PM
I didn't know Bill Nye was still doing anything.

ANd I do believe the Spoof thing was a one-time event.

Shwebb
03-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Oh, yeah. Totally loved the spoof show. I'm sure they'll have at least one new one per year. Hope so, anyway.

Ashtal
03-20-2007, 01:21 AM

Hee! Ya know, I had seen it on the channel listing and flipped through it, but wouldn't you know that our Media Center recorded it for me based on my other shows?

(We downloaded an app giving our Media Center TiVo-esque abilities.)

What worries me is that I don't record any animal shows, though I suppose I'm on Animal Planet enough, so I'm a little surprised it picked out that program. At least Dresden Files is a match I can understand.

I'm with you about the people helping animals thing ... I tend to get annoyed, too. I have a friend whose mother was the shining example of bad dog raising: "Oh, you're barking? Oh, you're jumping up and down? Oh, your shrieks are making my guests' ears bleed?" (beat) "Well, let mummy HUG you, then!" (squeeze/adore/lavish)

*facepalm*

Soccer Mom
03-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Yay! I go way for the weekend and everyone comes out to show their true geeky colors! Love the Discovery Channel.

My favs are:

Mythbusters
Dirty Jobs
Deadliest Catch (also narrated by Mike Rowe, btw)
Survivor Man
How things are Made
Really Big Things.

Animal Planet shows:
Extreme Zoo
Growing Up...
The Little Zoo that Could
And just about everything else!

MidnightMuse
03-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Love Dirty Jobs :)

And Mythbusters! Who doesn't love a couple of guys who aren't happy until something gets blown up.

PeeDee
03-20-2007, 09:14 PM
See, I just can't get into Mythbusters. I don't know why, it just doesn't work for me.

But I'm a terrible Dirty Jobs junkie. I adore that show, probably too much.

And I have been informed that NOVA is on tonight! Hooray!

Shadow_Ferret
03-20-2007, 09:51 PM
See, I just can't get into Mythbusters. I don't know why, it just doesn't work for me.

Because you're weird and don't like big explosions?