The great True Blood thread --(previously True Blood -- NOOOOO!)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse books are being adapted for HBO by Alan Ball. The really crappy part(and this is SO craptastic I want to vomit) Sookie Stackhouse is being played by Anna Paquin.

Excuse me while I hurl.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I lost interest in Sookie after about the third book. Maybe HBO will make it bearable.

Anna Paquin does seem a bit young to play Sookie, but I guess it could be worse. They could have chosen someone really awful, like Paris Hilton or Tara Reid.

:::cringes:::

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I don't know who this Anna Paquin is.

She's a mutant. :D

s-ilm28-anna-paquin-1.jpg

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i cant stand her.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Anna Paquin does seem a bit young to play Sookie...
Um, Sookie is 25 in the books. Anna was born in 82.

She's a mutant. :D

s-ilm28-anna-paquin-1.jpg

Um. She looks nice in leather. :)

I've only seen her in two movies. X-Men and Almost Famous. Don't remember her in Almost Famous, but didn't think she was bad in X-Men.

MDavis

The Brunette She-Ra
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She's also the youngest person to ever win an Oscar (Best Supporting Actress for her role in The Piano). I think she was 9 at the time??

I've never had a problem with her, though I don't know how she would fit the Sookie role, having never read those books.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
True Blood Debuts On HBO

Allan Ball, of Six Feet Under, has come up with a new series based on Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire books.

The last attempt at translating an urban fantasy type book to TV was the Sci-Fi Channel's Dresden Files, which I thought was not bad, but either it cost too much for them to keep it or not enough people watched, or both.

As a uf writer (and huge fan of Six Feet Under) I'll be very interested in how this one goes. It starts this coming Sunday.

Here's a review from Tim Goodman of the SF Chronicle, a guy who is usually quite astute in his TV judgment.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/05/DDTA12O4B1.DTL

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Allan Ball, of Six Feet Under, has come up with a new series based on Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire books.

The last attempt at translating an urban fantasy type book to TV was the Sci-Fi Channel's Dresden Files, which I thought was not bad, but either it cost too much for them to keep it or not enough people watched, or both.

As a uf writer (and huge fan of Six Feet Under) I'll be very interested in how this one goes. It starts this coming Sunday.
No. The last attempt was was "Blood Ties" on LIfetime based on Tanya Huff's character, Vickie Nelson. And it's going into season 2.

And I hate HBO. Why can't a free network pick up good programming like this?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
According to Ball at ComicCon, it's not going to be heavy like Six Feet Under. He wanted to do something fun. But I don't think the writing would suffer just because it's more fun and less dramatic.

justme

Well butter my biscuit!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the show.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in watching, mainly because it's Alan Ball doing it. I wasn't a huge fan of the books it's based on, but I enjoy my vampires on TV, so I'll at least give it a try. SFU was one of the best shows on TV, so I have high hopes for it.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Any chance Hulu or Netflix might have this?

No. The last attempt was was "Blood Ties" on LIfetime based on Tanya Huff's character, Vickie Nelson. And it's going into season 2.

And I hate HBO. Why can't a free network pick up good programming like this?

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to a launch party Sunday night. If I love it, I might even sign up for HBO!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
1.5 stars out of 5. Every character seemed to have an IQ about 40 points lower than they did in the books. Except for Sookie's brother, maybe. Sloooow-moving. I won't miss this when HBO goes away tomorrow.

:(

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
And I really loved books 1-4 (before she started throwing every kind of supernatural into the books--I'm not fond of a 'kitchen sink" approach). That added to my disappointment.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
I thought it was slow and not very engaging. The sex scenes seemed thrown in to grab the TV watchers. I actually had trouble understanding most of the characters - mumble, mumble. Also, hard to follow the plot - if there is one. Names were mentioned and I had no clue who they were.

My hubby said he'd probably watch it once more so I guess I will too, but I'm not excited about it. And I agree that all the characters seem dumber than rocks.

Carlene