The great True Blood thread --(previously True Blood -- NOOOOO!)

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
And J.F. Sebastian from Blade Runner! Woo hoo! Home again, home again jiggity jig. :D

This show made me run out and get the first book although I know there are some differences. The same thing happened with Blood Ties but I'm a vamp freak and I'll watch almost anything with vampires (unless it's gory, horror 30 Days of Night stuff *shiver*).

I agree the second ep was better than the first and although it did move a little slow I like the things that happened in there. I'm pretty excited to see in the inside of the house and to see some vamp politics between Bill and the others.

Btw, if there are any fellow vamp fans in the thread HBO is showing two documentaries: Vampire Legends and A New Style which talks about how vampires came about through the ages and the contrast to how they change over time. They interview Charlaine Harris and LA Banks for how they depict them in their book series. There's also a Making Of and a Alan Ball POV for all you AB fans out there. They show some pretty cool stuff. Looking forward to seeing where the show goes.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I won the book at ComicCon, and I flipped through a few pages. Looks interested. But I won't be reading it for a while until I have some free time. Too busy posting on AW... :tongue

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Second episode is definitely better than the first. A little bit of Jason and Tara goes a long way, though. The character stuff is a lot more interesting than the mystery so far.

Last edited:

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
I won the book at ComicCon, and I flipped through a few pages. Looks interested. But I won't be reading it for a while until I have some free time. Too busy posting on AW... :tongue

Lol sweet! I just nabbed myself a copy and I thought the dude on the cover looked familiar. I think he's the vampire king of Cali or something from the Blood Copy vids (which are actually pretty awesome in themselves with all the vamp backstories).

Btw, is anyone still watching? I think it's getting pretty interesting!

OctoberRain

I triple dog dare you.
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know anything about this show (and never even heard of the books) but decided to watch based on the discussion here.

I like it. It's quirky. I think Anna Paquin's a little wooden, and Tara's voice gets on my nerves, but it's funny. The premise of vampires "coming out of the coffin" is cool. I'll probably keep watching.

sanssouci

Registered
Reaction score
HBO has ordered a second season!

HBO has renewed Alan Ball's vampire drama "True Blood" after only two episodes.
"Blood" debuted Sept. 7 on the premium network to a modest 1.4 million viewers. But the debut has attracted a total of 4 million viewers with repeat airings. Also, HBO noted the second episode grew 24%.

-Hollywood Reporter

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
HBO has ordered a second season!

HBO has renewed Alan Ball's vampire drama "True Blood" after only two episodes.
"Blood" debuted Sept. 7 on the premium network to a modest 1.4 million viewers. But the debut has attracted a total of 4 million viewers with repeat airings. Also, HBO noted the second episode grew 24%.
-Hollywood Reporter

Yay! I have hopes for it still, it seems to be smoothing out a bit more each episode. I really enjoyed the books though, so my view may be a bit optimistic. :)

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Sucked me in!

At first I didn't even think I'd waste time watching this show but now....I'm hooked. Last night's episode was very interesting and the hook at the end a killer! Now I can't wait for the next episode. Lots of twists and turns in this episode. What's with the dog????

Carlene

OctoberRain

I triple dog dare you.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm officially addicted. This is the most fun and twisted TV show I think I've ever seen. Mind you, I don't watch that much TV, but still!

The episode with Jason and the vial of V juice... I about peed myself. LOVE THIS SHOW.

Last edited:

Mrs. Strange

Water resistant
Registered
Reaction score
I really like it. Now we know how Bill was "made", never expected it like that. Some LOL moments in the last episode too. I'm hooked.

cvernonpal

Registered
Reaction score
It's super addictive. My two teenagers and I watch the show. Haven't got my husband hooked yet, but I'm sure we will.

I feel so sorry for Bill after learning his "history" of how he became a vampire and how he had to leave his family. You can see him in a different light.

-----

Enter The Starter Wife Super Glamour Giveaway at New to TV!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The last episode was great. The show started really slow with too much (IMHO) character development (kind of like a bad prologue). But now it's getting somewhere, with enough intrigues, mysteries, murders, sex, violence, conflicts, etc. I think the writers finally find their grooves.

Mythica

Expert Gerbil Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.courtneyallisonmoulton.com
I'm not sure I like the series, yet. I've watched every episode, but once the hour's over, I'm sitting there bouncing-on-the-couch-out-of-my-mind-pumped for next week's episode. I haven't read the book series, even though I'm a vampire lit/movie freak. I like the darker stuff, so the series never interested me much. However, if it's a movie/tv series with vampires, I'll give it a shot. I've even seen Blood Rayne (HORRIBLE). I'm just a lazy reader. So I'm *still* giving True Blood a shot.

Anna Paquin is dull and uninteresting, and the two love interests are creepy and aren't especially good looking, which annoys me for some reason. I enjoy a good helping of man candy during my television experience--especially if viewers are supposed to fall in love alongside the heroine.

The romance feels forced and I don't think the writers or actors are completely comfortable with it. Anyone get that vibe?

The only character I find even mildly interesting is Lafayette.

The sex is a bit graphic. I know I'm really young, but it always seems to me that HBO is out there to SHOCK. It just seems unnecessary to me.

Supernatural for the win!! And I miss Moonlight. For some reason, I enjoyed that show. I'm not entirely sure why.

Last edited:

Mrs. Strange

Water resistant
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Last episode really showed its "Ball"ness. I haven't read the series- does anyone know how closely the TV series follows Harris' books?

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I haven't read the series- does anyone know how closely the TV series follows Harris' books?

Very loosely. The books are all told in first person POV by Sookie, so everything you're seeing that's not in her POV on the show is all Alan. In the books, Tara isn't Sookie's best friend. (And unless I'm mistaken, she's also not African American, and not Lafayette's cousin.) Jason is a total horndog in the books. Bill is a little more polished. Sam doesn't let Sookie know he's interested right away. And all the "how is the world reacting to the vampires" back- and sidestories are pure Alan. The big movement against the vampires doesn't come out until book 2, I believe.

Mrs. Strange

Water resistant
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks dragonjax! I'm not usually into vamprire stuff, but I like seeing different potrayals of the mythology.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
True Blood

Oh wow, what an amazing show. I've loved Alan Ball since American Beauty and Six Feet Under. I was a bit wary when I heard he was adapting, but needless to say it turned out well.

Anyone else into it?

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I like this show quite a bit. It's definitely disjointed, but overall it's very entertaining. Though they keep killing off my favorite characters. If Tara leaves the show I don't think it can sustain itself. She's hysterical.

I haven't read the books, and I suspect that has a lot to do with it. It seems people who haven't like it a lot more than those who have, but that's nothing new.

The show has gone from 1.4-something at the premier to 6.8-something million viewers per episode and has been officially picked up for a second season. It has a decent fan base. I think it's going to be on for a while.

I'm much happier Big Love is finally coming back. That's my favorite HBO show.