PDA

View Full Version : Good Time Songs (The NEXT Trend?)

JRH
03-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Good Time Songs

I'm tired of lyrics that have no meaning.
I'm tired of music that has no beat.
I'm looking for rhythms that are good for dancing,
Performed by musicians who can play it sweet.

Dissonant sounds don't catch my fancy,
And screaming protests just ain't my style.
I want my melodies bright and catchy,
The kind I'll be humming for quite a while.

Just want some good time songs,
The kind you sing along..
You know you can't go wrong
With those good time songs.

I don't need songs ‘bout pain and sorrow.
I don't need songs that will bring me down.
I'm looking for music that will lift my spirits,
And cheer me up with happy sounds.

I want songs that can touch and move me,
Not the kind that make me feel low.
I want songs that let me feel good.
I've had my fill with troubles and woe.

Good time songs always leave me smiling.
Good time songs have me tapping my feet.
Good time songs put an end to crying.
Good times songs make me feel complete.

You know you can't go wrong,

I love those good time songs.

Copyright (c) Fall 2003 James R. Hoye

Writer???
03-24-2007, 02:15 AM
Hi JRH,
My first reply here. What follows is a light hearted review, the word changes are serious recommends, everything else is just my own brand of humor. Please take no offense and I hope you get the references.

Good Time Songs

I'm tired of lyrics that have no meaning.
I'm tired of music that has no beat.
I'm looking for rhythms that are good for dancing, ("Don't try and take me to a disco..." But I'd say in this line: I'm lookin' for somthin' that'll make me dance.)
Performed by musicians who can play it sweet. (Performed and musicians is a little too formal; maybe: And bands that know how to lay it on sweet.)

Dissonant sounds don't catch my fancy,
And screaming protests just ain't my style.
I want my melodies bright and catchy,
The kind I'll be humming for quite a while.
(But those ARE the songs that have meaning that you say you want in the first line. :) )

("Just want that old time Rock and Roll...")

I don't need songs ‘bout pain and sorrow.
I don't need songs that will bring me down.
I'm looking for music that will lift my spirits,
And cheer me up with happy sounds.
(sorry but The Archies are gone; no more "Yummy, yummy, yummy, I got love in my tummy.")

(Again, those are the songs with meaning, everything else is fluff. :) designed to make you buy flowers wine and candy)

With those good time songs. (Maybe stretch the last line here: With those good, good, good...good time songs)

Good time songs always leave me smiling.
Good time songs have me tapping my feet. (Maybe: get me moving my feet.)
Good time songs put an end to crying.
Good times songs make me feel complete. (Maybe: ...feel the beat.)

You know you can't go wrong,
(Same a above: ...good, good, good...good time songs.)

(But alas, "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues")

Copyright (c) Fall 2003 James R. Hoy

And I agree, except for the dancing. Angst, screaming, whinning, it's all so old now, so overdone. Good job, I'd like to hear it to music.

JRH
03-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Hi Writer,

Thanks for the reply on this. Most of your suggestions are at least interesting and worth some thought but I have to disagree with the one about "Screaming Protests" because I think the protests can be made without the screaming as in songs such as "Signs" by The Five Man Electrical Orchestra "Indian Nation" by Paul Revere And The Raiders or "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield or even my own "Party People" posted on this Forum

I was also amused to see your suggestion of using "Don't try and take me to a disco..." for "I'm looking for rhythms that are good for dancing" is, also a reference to "Old Time Rock and Roll" by Bob Segar and that was kind of the spiritual inspiration for and a good example of the kind of song I'm talking about.

There are ways, (mainly upbeat) that can present even the angst, and whinning in a positive light (Reference Janis Joplin's version of "Me And Bobby Magee"), but when I refer to dancing, I'm referring to good old "Jitterbug" and "Cheek to Cheek" Waltzes and Foxtrots, not the individualistic wiggling and lacivious groping that passes for dancing nowadays, (Whoops, showing my age, arn't I ?)

I've got the tune in my head but haven't even worked out the chording yet as I haven't had the energy to do it right.

Thanks again for the comments,

Jim Hoye, (JRH)

P.S. For the record, "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues" is as much satire and irony as it is "Whining" and is, at least, pleasant to listen to.

Writer???
03-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Absoluely Jim,
I have to agree with all your comments and love your reference songs. Indian Nation has been a favorite of mine since it came out, oops, showing my age now.
The first thing I thought was "Old Time Rock And Roll" when I read your lyrics. So, at least for those of my age, your influences are coming through.

And, like I said, it was mostly humor, "G T C G T B" is a great song and I enjoy listening to it very much.

Gotta go, watching "Jimi Hendrix" movie.

Keep up the good work.

DreamWorks
03-29-2007, 07:21 PM
nice work JRH! I think writer??? gave you an EXCELLENT critique, pretty much word for word what I would suggest and I agree with him about the inherent lack of clarity in the song's intent, especially in this stanza

(Again, those are the songs with meaning, everything else is fluff. designed to make you buy flowers wine and candy)

songs that touch you can't be categorized as songs that make you feel good. they may, but it's a generalization and writer??? is 100% right with his/ her comment