PDA

View Full Version : I found a Manuscript

ichMael
03-17-2007, 06:47 AM
Don't know where this post belongs. Please move it to a more appropriate location if needed.

I found a manuscript in a box about 15 years ago. Bought it at an auction. The feeling of those at the auction was that the items were from the estate of a dead woman. The other day I came across the manuscript again, read it to make sure it was complete, and now I want to pass it on to the writer's heirs (or to the writer herself if she's still alive).

MOIRA KEARNEY is the author's name, according to the title page. I checked Amazon.com and didn't see anything in print under that name, nothing at Abebooks.com, nothing copyrighted at the USPTO. So I posted to a large genealogy forum, and now this.

The manuscript is a photocopied copy, so it's not the original. It was found in Austin, Texas.

Please contact me if you know the author or her family, or if you have suggestions on how I should proceed. The piece is dedicated "To my Children," so there might be some folks out there who would like to have this manuscript.

Thanks.

michael@moment.net

Maryn
03-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Check your private messages, Mike.

Maryn

ichMael
04-07-2009, 05:44 AM
I ran across this manuscript again and am currently scanning it so I can trash the original (cleaning out, things have to go). I'll keep 2-3 backups on disc so I can pass the scans along if I ever run into the author or her heirs.

But, can anyone think of another way to deal with this manuscript? I can't find the writer listed anywhere. I believe she was Catholic, based on other items that belonged to her and were sold at the auction, and I found a 1967 book with a Moira Kearney as a contributor (a non-fiction Catholic liturgical book). And that's the ONLY mention of a writer named Moira Kearney I've found.

So, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

jclarkdawe
04-07-2009, 06:23 AM
I think I'd start with a search of Texas's vital statistics for a death certificate and if that fails, for a marriage certificate. After finding either certificate, then you look in the newspaper for obituary or wedding announcement. You can get lots of useful information from the newspaper.

Probate and other courts could also have some information. Austin might also have a city directory.

If that didn't work, I'd pay a private detective to run a computer search. They can tap into some resources that aren't easily available. A computer search shouldn't cause a big ding to the wallet.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Puma
04-07-2009, 06:02 PM
According to the LDS genealogy site, there are several M. Kearney's in the SS death register - but there were none in Texas. Moira might not have been her first name - it might have been her middle name.

I see there are Kearney's in Austin, Texas (via Google), one is an attorney. It's a long shot, but you might try e-mailing him to see if he can point you in the right direction.

Other option would be to contact the Catholic Diocese in Austin (since you think she was Catholic) and see if they can help. Puma

Scrawler
04-08-2009, 07:31 AM
MOIRA KEARNEY might be her pen name.