PDA

View Full Version : Arrested Development

kirstin_mccormack
03-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Anyone else like this show? I get a huge kick out of the irreverant humour and unpredictable plot lines.

Oh course, since I thought it was the best show on TV, it got cancelled...

Are there any similar shows out in TV land that could fill the void? :)

billythrilly7th
03-17-2007, 07:47 AM
I thought it was awful and was thrilled when it and we were finally put out of our misery with it's cancellation.

But that's just my opinion.

:Shrug:

PeeDee
03-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Fortunately, we don't listen to Billy. Because he has no taste.

Because it was hilarious. All the bizarre storylines, from going to POW camps, to the brother being a nevernude, to George Michael being...George Michael. It was strange and bizarre and as off-kilter as Seinfeld when it first aired.

billythrilly7th
03-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Fortunately, we don't listen to Billy. Because he has no taste.

Because it was hilarious.

I'll give you my stock answer....

So hilarious that no one watched it and was cancelled.

'Nuff said.

It was a stupid stupid pointless show.

Great comedy is based in truth. There wasn't a hint of truth or reality which made the show just one dumb gag after another and you could care less about the family, the characters, the storylines or the entire show in general.

And that's why no one watched. And that's why it got the axe.

IMO

Good riddance, AD.

PeeDee
03-17-2007, 08:42 AM
I agree with your definition of comedy...but I still enjoyed the show. So poo poo on you. :D

Anyway, it's a moot point since whether it was comedic gold or a waste of space...it's axed either way. So that takes care of that.

Vincent
03-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Well, I watched it, and I laughed.

billythrilly7th
03-17-2007, 09:02 AM
I agree with your definition of comedy...but I still enjoyed the show. So poo poo on you. :D

Fair enough. I'll take that poo poo and run with it.

Thank you.
:)

PeeDee
03-17-2007, 09:50 AM
We just had, like, the wussiest fight ever on these forums. We're a disappointment. Good thing this isn't Pay per view.

David Erlewine
03-17-2007, 03:45 PM
BillyT, you sound like a big "According to Jim" fan. Good for you. I hope I'm wrong. What current comedies do meet your standards?

AD was a classic. I'll miss that "analrapist" Tobias of course. Jason Bateman, who never really impressed me before, was the perfect deadpan snarky protagonist. And, of course, George Michael was hilarious. A great classic that of course most people wouldn't find as funny as Jim Belushi mugging for the camera.

DVGuru
03-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Arrested Development had intelligent humor. Some of the jokes were so subtle you had to think about them. I've watched through the entire series three times now and I sometimes still pick up a joke or two I never realized was there. That's what I love about the show, and unfortunately, one of the reasons why I think it failed.

Vincent
03-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Ahhh yes, it suffered the old "If there's no laugh track, how do we know what's funny?" syndrome.

PeeDee
03-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Ahhh yes, it suffered the old "If there's no laugh track, how do we know what's funny?" syndrome.

Just like ER. :)

Sarita
03-20-2007, 12:48 AM
I loved this show (and have the DVD's) Fox changed the days and times several times midseason and I had a hard time catching it (pre-dvr for me.)

I loved Buster and his Lucille 2. The mother often said things that, well... I could hear my mother saying. It always made my sisters and I laugh.

Shadow_Ferret
03-20-2007, 12:55 AM
I'm with Billy on this one. AD was absolute nonsense. I tried watching it but just found myself lost trying to figure out what the heck was going on or why anyone found it even remotely amusing.

jebedi
03-20-2007, 07:45 PM
AD is the only television series i ever bought the DVDs for. Even so, i still watch the reruns. The Office is the only other television show i watch, luckily it did well enough to start that they don't flip the times on me.

BottomlessCup
03-21-2007, 03:11 AM
The writers for this show blow my mind.

They'd spend three episodes carefully setting up gags, then let 'em all rip in some flawless rube-goldbergesque set piece that averages about 40 punchlines per minute. Never before has a show made me say "how the f*** did they come up with that?" so often.

Great show. Shame they couldn't find a way to keep it on.

BiggerBoat
03-21-2007, 06:23 AM
(Raised hand)

Arrested Development was awesome.

katiemac
03-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Agreed.

I think one of my favorite lines was when Buster lost his hand. "Watch out! There's a LOOSE SEAL!"

BiggerBoat
03-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Tobias Funke: I blue myself.
Michael Bluth: There has got to be a better way to say that.

P.H.Delarran
03-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Oh yes, this was one of the few shows in recent years that I sought out. Bizarre, yes, but it made me laugh.

merper
03-23-2007, 02:32 AM
I don't think it's a show you can start watching in the middle - there's too many inside jokes, especially in the later seasons.

If you watched it from the beginning and didn't like it, then I want nothing to do with you.

Shadow_Ferret
03-23-2007, 03:14 AM
If you watched it from the beginning and didn't like it, then I want nothing to do with you.

*shrugs and walks away*

billythrilly7th
03-23-2007, 04:27 AM
*shrugs and walks away*

Don't worry, Shadow, not many TV shows in American history were able to shed viewers at a faster rate than AD. Every year less and less people watched...7 million, to 6 million, to 4 million to adiosland....

People ran from this thing like ...uh...some metaphor for people running from something in a panic. Volcano or something. :Shrug:

Anyhooo...

R.I.P. AD

Better luck next time.

merper
03-23-2007, 05:47 AM
Cause we all know ratings are the only mark of a good show. Not like fox had a dozen other good shows that tanked in ratings, got cancelled and came back, because they were actually quite good. Shows with names like Family guy and Futurama and Firefly.

If only I had such examples to use!

Not that I'm saying AD is going to come back, but if every critic - and I'm not even talking high brow critics - were raving about it, there has to be a reason. Whatever, though, it's really your loss.

billythrilly7th
03-23-2007, 05:57 AM
Cause we all know ratings are the only mark of a good show.

Yes. Exactly.

Four seasons and shedding millions of viewers each season until you were left with practically nothing is a good sign the show stinks.

But art is subjective.

The show didn't stink for people who like it. That's fine.

There were just very few of those people by all historical TV standards.

LOSING VIEWERS year after year is just not good.

Maybe if it had maintained it's season 1 ratings or leveled off after season 2, I could say the show was okay and shoulda stuck around ...but people fled from this thing year after year. So, whatever the rarified few of you saw in this thing, the vast vast majority of people didn't.

The way this show lost viewers was the sign of a not very good show by all historical standards of measurement.

But at least you can watch the show on DVD to your hearts content.

Enjoy the gags.

Anthony P. Steerpike
03-23-2007, 06:14 AM
. . . even if it means me taking a chubby, I will suck it up . . .

How I miss Tobias.

Shadow_Ferret
03-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Shows with names like Family guy and Futurama and Firefly.

Family Guy and Futurama? I want nothing to do with someone who thinks those were good shows.

merper
03-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Family guy not so much. Futurama, very much.

And you can't have nothing to do with me - I had nothing to do with you first!

billythrilly7th
03-23-2007, 08:08 AM
Family Guy is brilliant and funny and rightfully still on the air.

And Arrested Development stunk, wasn't that funny, and is rightfully in it's grave and won't come back to life like Family Guy.

Lock Thread.

maxmordon
07-19-2007, 11:25 AM
I love Arrested Development to the point I was in a state of shock when I heard it was cancelled.

Personally, I didn't like the 3rd season without counting some exceptions. But the first two seasons are pure gold!

Christine N.
07-19-2007, 06:19 PM
I wasn't a diligent watcher, but the show was highly amusing. Whenever I did see it on, I'd stop to watch. It was the kind of show that not everyone would get right off the bat, but people with a dry sense of humor would love.

Billy hated it because nothing blew up and there wasn't a constant stream of low-brow toilet humor.

Which is why the Simpsons has lasted fifteen years...

merper
07-19-2007, 07:22 PM
"Illusions, Michael. Illusions. Tricks are something a whore does for money ... (notices children he's been performing for) or candy."

That's dry?

Christine N.
07-20-2007, 02:03 AM
It's dark, rather, not dry. Dark and with a great straight man - Jason Bateman rules.

I think most of America just didn't get it. I thought it was a riot.

zpeteman
07-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Any writer should be able to make a pretty solid case for AD being very near the pinnacle of the television medium (certainly the critics did). It's epic and inexplicable failure has elevated it to legendary status and is a perfectly ironic end to some of the greatest stuff ever written for the tube.

Saying AD stunk is like saying Apocalypse Now stunk, you may not have liked it, but it's a long way from stunk.

Q.Rious
07-20-2007, 07:35 AM
God, I loved that show.

It was the one family that made my own seem...well...normal. I may have done a lot of things, but making naked with my cousin was not one of them.

Imagine my sadness when I discovered that it wasn't really a docudrama, but instead all-pretend. Then my family went right back to the top of the list. Again.

Le sigh.

P.S. Billy, meet stake. Stake, meet Billy. I assume you know what to do with one another.

nancy02664
07-23-2007, 05:20 AM
I only started watching re-runs a few weeks ago, and I think it's hilarious. I wish I'd known about it when it was actually on...

Lady Esther
07-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Arrested Development is awesome. I love Gob. His best lines were "I've made a huge mistake." and "Come on!" lol. And George Michael having a crush on his cousin, lol. I love that show.

Ziljon
07-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Yeah, AD was great. But you must see "Flight of the Conchords" a new HBO series. It is even wackier! Here's a short clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RC0DdrHbGg&NR=1

billythrilly7th
07-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Billy hated it because nothing blew up and there wasn't a constant stream of low-brow toilet humor.

Yeah, that's why Seinfeld is my favorite show of all time.

All those explosions and low-brow humor.

R.I.P. AD

Christine N.
07-28-2007, 07:17 PM
No, but Seinfeld had a laugh track, so you knew what was funny. Lots of antics. Lemme guess, you liked Kramer best...

You like Family Guy, which was why I know you like toilet humor, the same jokes that amuse my four year old.

billythrilly7th
07-28-2007, 10:40 PM
No, but Seinfeld had a laugh track, so you knew what was funny. Lots of antics. Lemme guess, you liked Kramer best...

Yeah. That's what made Seinfeld the greatest TV show of all time. The laugh track telling us what was funny.

:rolleyes:

Seinfeld isn't about antics.

I like George the best.

So far, your analylzation of Seinfeld and my TV tastes is abominable.

Family Guy is not funny because of toilet humor. It's funny because of sharp satirical writing and pop culture references.

Your analyzation of Family Guy is abominable.

Don't become a TV critic.

You're so off, you're embaressing yourself.

billythrilly7th
07-28-2007, 10:45 PM
You like Family Guy, which was why I know you like toilet humor, the same jokes that amuse my four year old.

Yeah, I'm sure your 4 year old loves Seinfeld, Cheers, David Letterman, The HoneyMooners, Taxi, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Woody Allen, and Albert Brooks movies.

Amongst all the other toilet humor that I love.

You just have a hard time understanding how such a "great show" went off the air.

"It must be that I like smart humor and everyone else likes toilet humor. It can't be that the show actually wasn't funny and that NO ONE WATCHED because of that. it couldn't be that a TV show must have some comedy based in reality for people to care and not just have gags and gags that although might be witty, have no meaning to me, because I just don't care about this family or their ridiculousness."

R.I.P. AD

You're lucky you weren't cancelled after six episodes.

Christine N.
07-29-2007, 04:05 AM
I don't have a hard time understanding it. It was an underrated show, and FOX, like they do with all their great shows, doesn't give it a big enough push. I don't blame the show, which WAS good, I blame the network, who can't seem to promote any show where things don't blow up or people die every other minute. I half expected Bones to be cancelled, but it's hung in there.

Taxi...now that was a great show.

I hate Family Guy. It's stupid. Actually Stuey is a riot, the rest of it is stupid. I gave up on the Simpsons years ago, when I GREW UP.

clockwork
08-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Arrested Development was superb. The show did not change tonally or in quality since the first episode so fleeing viewers is more likely due to network "interfering." For one theory, watch Tobias' off-camera rant on the Season 2 deleted scenes DVD. I hate to paraphrase but it's addressed to the Fox marketing geniuses and is along the lines of, "When a show has been nominated and won every award going and is hailed in the press as one of the best shows ever, maybe you need to consider that the reason the ratings are down is because you're not doing your f-ing jobs."

billythrilly7th
08-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Arrested Development was superb. The show did not change tonally or in quality since the first episode so fleeing viewers is more likely due to network "interfering." For one theory, watch Tobias' off-camera rant on the Season 2 deleted scenes DVD. I hate to paraphrase but it's addressed to the Fox marketing geniuses and is along the lines of, "When a show has been nominated and won every award going and is hailed in the press as one of the best shows ever, maybe you need to consider that the reason the ratings are down is because you're not doing your f-ing jobs."

"Waaaaaaaaaaaa."
Artie Lange

Your show didn't connect with audiences Tobias no matter how many "critics" liked it.

People fled in droves.

They could have put Seinfeld on at 4AM on Sunday and I and millions of others would have found it.

That's such a cop out.

As if audiences are morons who can't figure out where their "favorite" show went to.

People watched and then stopped watching.

Not the fault of the network.

clockwork
08-22-2007, 10:58 PM
Shuffling shows is almost always the death toll.

I loved it. One of the best shows ever.

katiemac
07-01-2008, 01:45 AM
ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT MOVIE!! ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT MOVIE!!

2009 Release (http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/06/jeffrey-tambor.html). :)

Jcomp
07-01-2008, 01:47 AM
Yeah, that's why Seinfeld is my favorite show of all time.

All those explosions and low-brow humor.

R.I.P. AD

Well... there was an exploding toilet gag in one episode...

crimsonlaw
07-02-2008, 02:19 AM
ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT MOVIE!! ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT MOVIE!!

2009 Release (http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/06/jeffrey-tambor.html). :)

YES! I knew today would give me a reason to keep on living!

katiemac
07-02-2008, 04:00 AM
YES! I knew today would give me a reason to keep on living!

Indeed! I'm pretty excited. I only hope they bring back the blue body paint.

Myrealana
05-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Well, it's officially back with Season 4 on Netflix.

Who has already binge watched?

I'm rationing myself to one episode per night.

What do you think?

dragonjax
05-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Well, it's officially back with Season 4 on Netflix.

Who has already binge watched?

I'm rationing myself to one episode per night.

What do you think?

I've watched the first five episodes. Honestly? Not loving it. But there was a TV Guide review that suggests binge-watching, because starting with episode 7, it all pulls together and feels more like Arrested Development. I'll definitely watch the entire season. Fingers crossed!

KTC
05-29-2013, 07:54 PM
I refuse to get Netflix to watch it. I am hoping it will be released on DVD in the future. I hate that it went to Netflix.

Jehhillenberg
05-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Oh man! Crap! Shiznit! I'm strongly considering biting the bullet and getting Netflix, and just paying the monthly fee. I want to see the new "Arrested Development" so bad. Been waiting. I know there's a month free, but my reservations...

I hope it comes out on DVD too.

shelleyo
05-29-2013, 08:25 PM
We watched the first 4 episodes the other day. It's fun to see the characters again, but overall it's disappointing. Enjoying it, but it's not nearly as good as we'd hoped. There have even been a couple of times I felt bored, and that didn't happen once in the first 3 seasons. :(

I think part is the different format, the focus on one character's story per show. We miss that great group dynamic and the way the storyline would start with one character and weave them all together with some hilarious mistake or misunderstanding. Miss that big time.

I wish Netflix would still let us rate each season individually. AD got 5 stars from me, but so far this season is no more than a 3, maybe 2.5.

AshleyEpidemic
05-30-2013, 04:02 AM
I watched all 15 episodes over 24 hours. I was never big on the show prior. In fact, I struggled to get through it and still haven't. The early episodes needed to pick up steam, but by the end I couldn't stop watching them. I can't compare to older seasons obviously, but I enjoyed it.

Alpha Echo
06-07-2013, 07:25 PM
We started watching this last night and got through three episodes. I heard an interview with the writer on NPR, and he explained that with these episodes, he really wanted the audience to get to know the characters better. That's why he focuses in on each one.

I like it. It still cracks us up.

One thing I have to mention though...Portia de Rossi. I love her. Having suffered from eating disorders myself, I read her memoir and fell in love with her. But seeing her on this show...she seems to have relapsed. She's thinner than ever. And that makes me really sad.

Mclesh
06-07-2013, 07:33 PM
I have it on Netflix. Haven't had time to watch yet. Big fan of the original show. David Cross was the best. *never nude

shelleyo
06-08-2013, 01:55 AM
One thing I have to mention though...Portia de Rossi. I love her. Having suffered from eating disorders myself, I read her memoir and fell in love with her. But seeing her on this show...she seems to have relapsed. She's thinner than ever. And that makes me really sad.

I was saddened to see she's now one of the pod people. She had a gorgeous face before--a beautiful woman. Now she looks like a not particularly well-done statue in Madame Tussauds. Given her body and beauty issues, it's probably only the beginning, and that's a crying shame.

Alpha Echo
06-08-2013, 08:41 PM
I was saddened to see she's now one of the pod people. She had a gorgeous face before--a beautiful woman. Now she looks like a not particularly well-done statue in Madame Tussauds. Given her body and beauty issues, it's probably only the beginning, and that's a crying shame.

I know. I thought she was one of the most beautiful women on television when she started on Ally McBeal. I don't know what she did to her face...her eyes aren't beautiful and catlike anymore...she's still beautiful, but it really made me sad, because I thought she was stunning before. I had hoped she had overcome her issues. It's not easy. I know this all too well. My heart just breaks for her because you know she can't be happy. Not really.

K.B. Parker
06-09-2013, 10:04 AM
I loved the new season, it might be my favorite of the series. I wasn't thrilled with the first few episodes and almost gave up on the idea of an 8 hour binge watch. I stuck through it and 12 episodes later I finally went to bed. Maeby's speech had me in stitches and a certain character's actions involving the words "You are ruining my life Ron Howard!"

All being said, I understand many of the common complaints. I just don't think the season should be judged until the entire season has been viewed. And I won't consider other's complaints until that happens because from experience, I know it gets better.

Alpha Echo
07-03-2013, 08:07 PM
It is slower this season. We are probably about...5 or 6 episodes in. Still pretty darn funny, but yeah...I'll agree that it's much slower. But I get why the writers did what they did with it.

Does anyone know if Netflix is planning to do any more seasons?

shelleyo
07-03-2013, 09:42 PM
We still haven't moved on to the 5th episode all these weeks later.

If it were time-limited, such as only going to be available until a certain date, I'm sure it'd be more of a priority. But knowing it's always going to be there to watch, and factoring in our pretty deep disappointment, it keeps getting scooted down the list.

Myrealana
07-03-2013, 11:25 PM
I almost quit watching about the 4th or 5th episode. It wasn't gripping me the way the old series did.

But I'm glad I continued on. It definately picked up in the second half of the season. Picking out the interconnected bits was kind of like watching the first three seasons and looking for the seal jokes or spotting the blue handprints.

Alpha Echo
07-24-2013, 07:09 PM
We finished! Yes, it was much slower than the original series. But man...the writers, IMO, are genius! To weave every character's story the way they did while throwing in those random tidbits...there were times I lost focus, but I'm glad we stuck with it to see how they wrapped it up.

Will there be a second Netflix Season? I hope so. The way they left it...

aprettytruestory
07-26-2013, 02:36 AM
Oh my goodness I love this show. So much. I don't own many DVDs because I live in a house that's under 1200 sq ft and every single inch counts but I own this entire series. Lucille Bluth is awesome... you want your belt to buckle, not your chair. WTF. Maybe it's just not funny until you've met someone like Lucille/Buster/Gob (kind of like how the Office isn't funny until you've worked in an office and have firsthand experience of the politics/personalities/incompetent management).

I think season 4 is definitely the weakest of the seasons (it wasn't terrible, just not up to the usual AD standards - felt kinda rambly and didn't seem to go anywhere). I honestly think the reason AD did so poorly when it first aired is because it was simply ahead of its time - much like Disney's Emperor's New Groove, which is hilarious but kind of bombed at the box office (compared to other Disney movies).

Kweei
07-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Just finished.

I thought it started off slow and a bit disappointing, and then once you hit the middle OMG. I really loved it. It was cool to see how everyone's stories came together.

I felt it was really strong until the last episode. The ending didn't sit well with me at all :(

Here's hoping we get a S5 and that they have worked out the kinks by then.

bmstanford09
09-12-2013, 05:47 PM
The ending was a big thorn in my side. If the series ends on that note, I will be mad.

Other than that, I laughed a lot more than at most other shows. I think the only exception to this is Parks and Recreation… that show has me rolling.