PDA

View Full Version : Agent requests complete MS

jonereb
03-17-2007, 04:55 AM
Two months ago, three agents requested a complete MS of my children's chapter book. Today, I received an email from a fourth agent, a dream agent. Should I mention the other requests when I send the MS? (Actually, two of the other three are dreamy also.)

Siddow
03-17-2007, 05:13 AM
Not unless Agent McDreamy requests an exclusive. Then just say, sorry, can't, it's already out with three others. Dreamy will probably look at it anyway.

At this point, less information is better. If someone calls with an offer of rep, tell them that you'd like a day to consider and then phone the others (or email, whatever) and let them know about the offer on the table.

And go, you! That's fabulous.

Saundra Julian
03-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Great news! I'd follow Siddow's advice...

Chumplet
03-17-2007, 08:31 AM
What the hell is this doing under Rejection? It should be in Goals and Accomplishments. Best of luck!

jonereb
03-19-2007, 08:40 PM
"Agent McDreamy" sent an email this morning stating that they wanted an exclusive. But my manuscript is already out to three other agents who requested it two months ago. Advice needed.

aadams73
03-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Be honest and tell them you can't offer an exclusive, but you'd love for them to consider your manuscript anyway. Then tell them you'd be happy to keep them informed about any offers. Most agents will want to read it anyway.

ETA: Best of luck to you! :)

Julie Worth
03-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Shouldn't take them but an hour or two to read it anyway.

CaroGirl
03-20-2007, 05:37 AM
I don't have advice to offer, only jealousy. But YOU GO!! That's very awesome. Maybe there'll be a bidding war. :popcorn: Keep us informed, and best of luck to you!!

Saundra Mitchell
03-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Just say "I'd like to offer you an exclusive, but it's currently being read by a few agents. I would happily give your response first priority, or I can delay submission until it becomes available exclusively, whichever you prefer." Thank them for their time and consideration, and wait to see what they say.