For those who thought landing an agent was the hard part

sportscribe

Registered
Reaction score
Last February (2006), I landed a pretty reputable agent for my non-fiction sports book. While he submitted my proposal to about eight publishers, six passed and two are still considering.

Two acquisitions managers contacted my agent about more specifics and time-frame for completion. One inquired last May, while the other last month.

Each time, I felt like an offer was just around the corner.

So many manuscripts don't even get considered, so for mine to even snatch their interest is a healthy starting point.

But no offer yet. One agent told me, "Publishing is a very slow business." An hour our time is like two weeks in the publishing world.

It's frustrating because I feel like I'm getting teased and am enduring an emotional rollercoaster. I get excited for a week, only to be forced to forget about it because they haven't made an offer, and don't hear from them for months.

And once I move on with my life, they come back and inquire again, so I get excited and then disappointed.

I keep imagining I'm going to get that memorable call from my agent about an offer. I could taste it and see myself brooding over the contract and finishing the book. But it hasn't happened yet.

I'm sure others have endured this process. Let me know your thoughts.

Jennifer L

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlawler.com
Just here to commiserate. Publishing moves at glacial speed, and just when you've given up, here comes a little tease to pull you in again.

I've been doing this a long time, and I still get on the roller coaster and ride when it comes time for my agent to put a proposal or a manuscript out there. But I do try to turn to a new, absorbing project right away to keep my mind off the project being pitched.

And I've been trying to cultivate a zen-like detachment for many years but that's not going very well . . . .

Jennifer Lawler

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience--and I've got plenty--the answer you're waiting for always comes about two months past the point at which you've collapsed from sheer nervous exhaustion and passed into a state of utter numbness. You get the call: "They're gonna publish your book, pal." You go, "Book? What book? Who's writing a book?"

But anyway, in terms which is the worst waiting, when you're trying to get an agent or when you're waiting for your agent to get you a deal--the answer is, when you're waiting for someone to review your book once it's published, or waiting for the publisher to promote your book, or waiting for someone to buy your book, etc.

You get the idea. It never ends. True, you do move up a little on the ladder of self-respect and, like the lottery, you've got to be in it to win it, but the best antidote to all this waiting is to write more, write often, write well. It's only when you're in the act of writing that you can put the other stuff out of your mind for a while.

sportscribe

Registered
Reaction score
good point

I've yet to reach that point, Popmuze, but I hope I do. And you're right, I'm sure, even if I get an offer, I'll never get comfortable, because there's always more hurdles in the process.

I must admit that the email from my agent, one-year later, caught me off guard.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I signed my contract with a publisher ten days ago, and I'm still waiting for their signed copy to return to me. In the meantime, I'm going through edits. Even though they've already put my profile on their website, I won't believe it's true until I see that release date. And maybe a cover design.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I hope the wait is worth it. Good luck.

My first sale was made to a national radio company. Just an essay, but I forgot all about it until a year later when an editor called me at 9:00 a.m. and wanted to walk through it right there and then. Not easy when I had a ten-month-old I was also trying to get to eat her breakfast.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Been there--my first book took over a year to sell, and I have friends whose agents weren't able to sell their manuscripts at all. It's a frustrating business, but once you've contracted with an agent, it's largely out of your hands (unless you decide this isn't the agent for you, then you take back control just long enough to find another).

Like others have said, it's best to move on to the next project.

sportscribe

Registered
Reaction score
Crossing Fingers

Just an update.

The acquisitions manager of the publishing house contacted us and said my book will go before the editorial board next week. And if I had any other information that may help my cause, give him a ring.

(Gulp)

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
The whole publishing process addicts you to email.
send/receive
send/receive
I can feel myself salivate now.
Even when your book sells it doesn't get any better...wait for contracts...wait for check...wait for edits...wait for copyedits...
Once you accept the fact you will be waiting at each point.
It gets a bunch better.
JMHO

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
My agent and I went back and forth and back and forth with the editor interested in Evernight -- she wanted to see more, the acquisitions committee wasn't sure, would we revise?, see more again -- on and on and on for months. One day, I was paying bills and realizing I was broke and just snapped. I emailed my agent this sad-sack e-mail about how the book clearly wasn't going to sell and we were wasting our time on it and I ought to move onto something else. I then had a good cry.

Fortunately, she never read this email, because she called me a couple hours later with the four-book offer. Once I was done gurgling my stupefied thank-yous, I was able to tell her to delete it, and she found it all very funny.

Short version: Don't give up!

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Sportscribe, you've been waiting a long time for this--I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this. Good luck!
Lauri

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Orion, send/receive. Exactly. I check my email every 15 minutes these days.

The waiting game is fun is it not? And the incremental stages that you go through . . .acqusitions board to editorial board . . . hair pulling to be sure!

Good luck and keep us posted!

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Orion, send/receive. Exactly. I check my email every 15 minutes these days.

Not only do I have two books out with an agent and queries out for freelance assignments, I'm also looking for a full time job.
I check my emails while I'm checking my emails.
I checked them again before I finished this post.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
There certainly is a lot of waiting around... wait until you sell your book, you still have to wait. LOL. I was lucky that it took me less than 10 months to sell mine, but it took another 18 months to see it in print. So, yes, there's a lot of waiting around, but is it worth it? Absolutely.

There's nothing like seeing your book on the shelves at Barnes & Noble.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Last February (2006), I landed a pretty reputable agent for my non-fiction sports book. While he submitted my proposal to about eight publishers, six passed and two are still considering.

Two acquisitions managers contacted my agent about more specifics and time-frame for completion. One inquired last May, while the other last month.

Each time, I felt like an offer was just around the corner.

So many manuscripts don't even get considered, so for mine to even snatch their interest is a healthy starting point.

But no offer yet. One agent told me, "Publishing is a very slow business." An hour our time is like two weeks in the publishing world.

It's frustrating because I feel like I'm getting teased and am enduring an emotional rollercoaster. I get excited for a week, only to be forced to forget about it because they haven't made an offer, and don't hear from them for months. quote]

I've been teased like that, too! Now I consider "unknown caller" a tease!:D

sportscribe

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting game

Patience is a must in this business, I've learned. And if you don't have patience entering this process, you'll sure acquire it. Some of the stories you guys have offered about always waiting for something keeps the adrenaline going. A challenge is always before you.

If I do get an offer, I'll defin. update others about the step-by-step process of being published. My version, at least.

Lauri,

You're right. I've been waiting for this for a long time, but this is not the same publisher we talked about.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
It starts early in the morning, when I switch on my computer. After all, due to the time difference, she could have mailed me overnight. I have a few hours of morning quiet; then at about 2pm, my time, the checking starts, because around that time people are in their NY offices and starting off their workdays.

Send/receive. repeat XXXXX times.

I like it when my gmail sends a little pop-up with my agent's name on it.
There are then a few minutes anticipation till I get the mail to open (my computer is SLOW) .

How long does it take an editorial board to read a manuscript anyway? It;s been over two weeks.

But then again, no news is good news.

One can certainly cling at straws.

Or drown.

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
I sympathize with your plight; waiting is never anything but frustration.

Nevertheless, landing an agent is the hard part.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing like seeing your book on the shelves at Barnes & Noble.

Better be sure to get there while your copy is still on the shelves. If you show up a week later, you could be remaindered.

Then again, I'm the guy who once held a signing for my book at B&N and the only people who showed up were the ones (3) I personally invited.

I spent the rest of the day perusing someone else's book with the cautionary title: "You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought." I have thought of that book many times since then, although I haven't always been able to live up to the title (like now).

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Better be sure to get there while your copy is still on the shelves. If you show up a week later, you could be remaindered.

Then again, I'm the guy who once held a signing for my book at B&N and the only people who showed up were the ones (3) I personally invited.

I spent the rest of the day perusing someone else's book with the cautionary title: "You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought." I have thought of that book many times since then, although I haven't always been able to live up to the title (like now).
Check out a book called Mortification: Writers' Stories of Their Public Shame. Michael Holroyd has you beat--he once sold negative-one books at a signing (a reader hated it so much he returned a previously-purchased copy).

I also love Darryl Pinckney's story. He entered the store where he was going to do a reading, stuck his own copy of his book in a back pocket while he was looking around, and was accused of shoplifting by the staff.

Highly recommended book--schadenfreude at its very best. Makes you feel a lot better about your own ill-attended events or moments of embarrassment.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

I've had signings at which nobody showed up. And I've had signings at which they ran out of chairs. I learned to enjoy every moment no matter what -- I earned it.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I am definitely hoping to have another signing someday, even if it's in my backyard.