PDA

View Full Version : What's your top 3?

Lyxdeslic
03-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Opinions -- Based on the writing and character building, what are your top 3 favorite shows on TV right now?

Mine are as follows --
1. Dexter
2. Lost (seasons 1 and 2) Although, this season seems to be trying too hard.
3. Deadwood

If you haven't seen Dexter yet, you must drop everything and do so. To me, it's like heroin for the mind. :)

ChaosTitan
03-16-2007, 09:37 PM
On right now?

1. Battlestar Galactica
2. Bones
3. Heroes

(I have to put Grey's Anatomy at #4 because it's more of a guilty pleasure and excuse for Patrick Dempsey-gazing)

Lyxdeslic
03-16-2007, 09:41 PM
On right now?

3. Heroes

I was on the fence with Heroes. To me, it started its early episodes with promise, but has been declining since. Its turning into your definition of Grey's Anatomy for me. :) (Except for the Patrick Dempsey gazing, of course.)

ChaosTitan
03-16-2007, 09:49 PM
I was on the fence with Heroes. To me, it started its early episodes with promise, but has been declining since. Its turning into your definition of Grey's Anatomy for me. :) (Except for the Patrick Dempsey gazing, of course.)

I'm actually the opposite. The first few eps didn't catch me right away, and I missed a few. Then I caught it again out of boredom and something about it hooked me. Now it's Can't Miss TV. :tongue

MidnightMuse
03-16-2007, 09:49 PM
You watch tv for character building?

Dang . . . I watch for hot guys. But okay, one of my favorites for intelligent writing and characters is The Closer. Oh, and Eureka has interesting characters and pretty snappy dialog. I'm not sure there's anything else I want to admit to watching.

Oh, well MI-5 (Spooks) is pretty good. At least they have the guts to kill major players.

alaskamatt17
03-16-2007, 09:53 PM
The only show I watch that's still airing new episodes is House, but I watch that on DVD anyway, 'cause my roommate has the first two seasons.

Shadow_Ferret
03-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Current shows? No show that requires scriptwriters reaches my Top 3.

Lyxdeslic
03-16-2007, 10:14 PM
On right now?

Current shows?

Sorry. Yes, I should've specified -- currently on TV.

J. Weiland
03-16-2007, 10:16 PM
1) C.S.I. (Vegas, the one and only)
2) Jericho
3) Lost (3rd season still not screening in Denmark)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-16-2007, 10:17 PM
1. Mythbusters
2. Naked Archeologist
3. Good Eats

:D

tourdeforce
03-16-2007, 10:28 PM
1. Battlestar Galactica

2. 24

3. Supernatural

Shadow_Ferret
03-16-2007, 10:28 PM
1. Mythbusters
2. Naked Archeologist
3. Good Eats

That's sort of what mine is like.

1. Dirty Jobs
2. Mythbusters
3. Mail Call
4. Mindfreak
5. Ghost Hunters

dclary
03-16-2007, 10:36 PM
TV?

House
Deal or No Deal
1 Versus 100

Gravity
03-16-2007, 10:40 PM
Current shows? Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs and Mail Call. Three best TV shows ever? The original Outer Limits, the original Twilight Zone, and The Andy Griffith Show (before it went color; I'm serious. We dissected this in one of my college television production classes; it was the most perfectly-crafted thirty minutes then on the tube).

dpaterso
03-16-2007, 10:41 PM
BSG
Heroes
Dresden

In no particular order.

-Derek

MidnightMuse
03-16-2007, 10:54 PM
2. Naked Archeologist

I tried that once, but he wasn't really nekkid!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-16-2007, 10:59 PM
That's sort of what mine is like.

1. Dirty Jobs
2. Mythbusters
3. Mail Call
4. Mindfreak
5. Ghost Hunters

OOoooo. I forgot Ghost Hunters.

Sohia Rose
03-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Law & Order
X Files (re-runs on Sci-Fi Channel)

J. Weiland
03-17-2007, 12:57 AM
If we are talking documentaties, then my alternative list would be.

1) Going Ape
2) Dirty Jobs (although, they are not that dirty anymore)
3) Deadliest Catch

Tachyon
03-17-2007, 12:57 AM
1. Battlestar Galactica
2. Stargate SG-1
3. Doctor Who

I'm sad that Stargate SG-1 is coming to an end, but at least it is ending while it's still strong and successful. Stargate Atlantis is okay, but not great. Maybe it will be able to step out of its parent's shadow and hit its stride now.

The season finale for Doctor Who made me cry. Silly CBC hasn't shown the Christmas special yet, so I'm eagerly awaiting that....

Shadow_Ferret
03-17-2007, 01:51 AM
If we are talking documentaties, then my alternative list would be.

1) Going Ape
2) Dirty Jobs (although, they are not that dirty anymore)
3) Deadliest Catch
Well, the OP was talking top tv shows. I didn't classify mine as top documentaries. I classified it as the top shows I watched. I think most of the dramas out there are for crap. They aren't anywhere near as entertaining to me as the shows I listed. I'm even wondering if a drama can even crack my top 10 favorite shows.

Writer14
03-17-2007, 01:58 AM
1. Heroes
2. The Black Donnellys
3. Blade: The Series

I absolutely love Heroes and think it's actually getting good; tho a couple episodes (literally 1 or 2) have been boring, but ended up setting up realli good episodes afterward.

As for the Black Donnellys. Omg...I just adore it. :-) Definitely like a few lil points behind Heroes. It just reminds me so much of one of my fav. movies (the Departed) as well as stories about my ancestors and yadda. (I'm actually Italian...but the whole mafia-ish thing fits).

As for Blade: The Series. I just realli like that show lol.

And my 4th fave would be Kyle XY. It's realli interesting; so...I'm waiting for the next season; just like i'm waiting for the next season of Blade. :-)

Sage
03-17-2007, 02:00 AM
1. Studio 60 (I'm assuming it's coming back)
2. Doctor Who (though, technically, I'm watching the series downloaded from England. We don't get Sci-Fi)
3. Heroes

House, M.D. used to be on the list, but I'm sick of nothing ever changing. Seriously, how can the characters be surprised when House does something to get pain meds anymore? We get promised character development, & we don't actually get it. I'm tired of it.

Lyxdeslic
03-17-2007, 02:04 AM
Doh!! Studio 60, yes, totally forgot about this. Love the wit of it. Sorry Deadwood, you've been bumped. :)

ChaosTitan
03-17-2007, 06:00 AM
Well, the OP was talking top tv shows. I didn't classify mine as top documentaries. I classified it as the top shows I watched.

He was actually asking for top shows based on writing and character building. I'm not sure if "reality" or documentary-style shows qualify. ;)

jennifer75
03-17-2007, 06:07 AM
Ohhh I'm totally enjoying The Riches!!! I know, only one episode has passed but so what.

AND....I love Two and a half Men. Fantastically funny. And......thats it for now.

CheshireCat
03-18-2007, 02:20 AM
Being a TVaholic, can't possibly name just three -- even with the focus on character-building and writing. But a few are:

Studio 60
Supernatural
Heroes
Lost
The Dresden Files
Eureka
Grey's Anatomy
Dexter
Rome (better in the beginning, early first season)
Medium (really strong portrayal of a strong, normal woman in a normal marriage, with this one little strange twist)
Stargate SG-1 (sorry it's ending)
Stargate Atlantis (finding its footing now, I think)
Monk (uneven, but when it's good ... )
(ETA: Can't believe I forgot about Bones!

:Sun: :Sun: :Sun:

Past favorites:
Buffy
Angel
Firefly
Gilmore Girls (lost its spark and originality when the creators left)
Farscape (criminal to cancel that one)
X-Files
Star Trek, the Next Generation
Babylon 5 (I hear there's a direct-to-DVD movie in the works -- Yay!)
Charmed (they got very good at building their mythology, and it ended right)
The West Wing (first two seasons)
Sports Night (Can you tell I love Aaron Sorkin?)
Friends
Threshold (great idea, killed too soon)
Invasion (Shaun Cassidy has an interestingly dark and twisted mind)
Dawson's Creek (I was a late convert)

... and I'd better stop somewhere ...

robeiae
03-18-2007, 03:03 AM
I'm really enjoying the plot twists and character building/destroying on CSPAN-2. Who's writing that, now?

Also, the Today Show is finally getting interesting. I expect a murder or an affair to be revealed sometime in the next two weeks.

JanDarby
03-18-2007, 03:30 AM
Isn't ANYONE watching Friday Night Lights?

The writing and the storytelling are both absolutely top-notch.

JD

Gary
03-18-2007, 03:54 AM
I only watch two shows with scripts. They are House and 24.

Pat~
03-18-2007, 04:52 AM
Opinions -- Based on the writing and character building, what are your top 3 favorite shows on TV right now?

Based on the writing and character building, I don't have any favorite shows on TV right now.

limitedtimeauthor
03-18-2007, 05:01 AM
I second The Closer, and - grudgingly - House. I love Monk, but like someone else said, it isn't always good. But when it is good, it's really great. It makes me "LOL out loud." ;)

ltd.

maestrowork
03-18-2007, 05:11 AM
I don't watch much TV. I used to have a few favorites, which I thought had the greatest writing. Now, most of them kind of just bore me.

The stuff I watch occasionally:

Deadwood
Dexter
30 Rock
The Office
Scrubs

hmmmm... that's about it. I don't watch any reality TV.

narselon
03-18-2007, 05:51 AM
I can't believe some of the opinions here. There's actually some really decent shows on the air now compared to the past. A lot of the networks are starting to move towards continuing storylines and single camera formats instead of the cheesy laugh track or studio audience shows.

Scrubs is great. I love the characters and the stories. I think every man is secretly a JD.

The Office is brilliant. I thought it was going to suck since it's a remake but it won me over. I would watch it for the pranks Jim pulls on Dwight, but there's also a lot more. There's something to be said when they are hyping guest writers and directors instead of guest stars.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is like new episodes of Seinfeld. And it isn't afraid of crossing the line to completely explore a concept.

Arrested Development is currently my all time favorite. I love the storylines and antics. They constantly use wordplay to set up jokes brilliantly. I can't think of a single weak point.

Daily Show and Colbert Report amaze me every day. I don't know how they keep writing on such a level each day. Colbert gets extra points for the correspondents dinner and his ability to control the internet. Fox News had forever to write material for their ripoff and couldn't come close to what both of these shows can do in a day.

Honorable Mentions:
South Park, Venture Brothers, Futurama(only show that made me close to crying)

maestrowork
03-18-2007, 05:55 AM
I also watch Curb Your Enthusiasm and Entourage once in a while. I tivo shows, but usually I end up not watching them and they disappear. I watch more Discovery and History channel.

Evaine
03-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Life on Mars has been very good on UK TV. I don't know if it's available in the States, but it's a cop show with a twist. A modern policeman (Detective Inspector) has a car crash in the present and wakes up in 1973. The differences in policing techniques are quite an eye opener! There's also the personal mystery he's trying to work out - has he actually travelled in time, or is he in a coma in hospital imagining all this?

PattiTheWicked
03-18-2007, 05:00 PM
1. Rome
2. Rescue Me (currently on hiatus, and replaced by FX's abysmal "Dirt")
3. Lost

Serenity
03-18-2007, 06:09 PM
1. House
2. Heroes
3. Psych

House I adore for the absolutely brilliant Hugh Laurie. I caught it at the end of season 2, haven't missed a season 3 episode, and bought season 1 on DVD. Heroes Chaos got me hooked on when I had actually given up on it after the first two episodes. Psych is just a fun show to watch, I crack up every week.

Ardellis
03-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Life on Mars has been very good on UK TV. I don't know if it's available in the States, but it's a cop show with a twist. A modern policeman (Detective Inspector) has a car crash in the present and wakes up in 1973. The differences in policing techniques are quite an eye opener! There's also the personal mystery he's trying to work out - has he actually travelled in time, or is he in a coma in hospital imagining all this?

BBC America has been carrying it. It's on my list, too. I just adore Gene Hunt's moral ambiguity. Word is there's a spin-off coming with him as the central character, after the second season of LoM.

Also: Eureka, Supernatural, The Riches, Studio 60, Heroes, Rome, and Bones.

RoccoMom
03-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Supernatural
Gilmore Girls (although the quality has gone down)
Law & Order

The best written,best acted show was cancelled in a HUGE MISTAKE BY THE "NEW" WB: EVERWOOD!!!!!!!!

Sage
03-19-2007, 01:08 AM
I can't believe I forgot Veronica Mars! Though, the first season was the best, & the last half of this season was too predictable, it's still one of my fave shows.

Sarita
03-19-2007, 07:19 AM
Arrested Development is currently my all time favorite. I love the storylines and antics. They constantly use wordplay to set up jokes brilliantly. I can't think of a single weak point.I love this show. The only weak point is that they cancelled it after 3 seasons... I never laughed so hard at TV. The characters were so great.

rhymegirl
03-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Top 3:

House
Lost
Medium

Lyxdeslic
03-20-2007, 07:30 AM
2. Rescue Me (currently on hiatus, and replaced by FX's abysmal "Dirt")

Damnit, I also forgot Rescue Me. Out of sight, out of mind I guess. Dennis Leary is Jesus incarnate.

Revised list
1. Dexter
2. Rescue Me
3. Lost (but fading fast)

billythrilly7th
03-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Entourage
Extreme Makeover: The Home Edition

Honorable mention...
Cathouse: Season 2
Family Guy
30 Rock

jennifer75
03-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Who saw The Riches last night???? Ooooooooooohhhhh I love it. Them and the housewives are my strong two...followed closely by the Ten O'clock News.

Shadow_Ferret
03-20-2007, 09:48 PM
IA lot of the networks are starting to move towards continuing storylines and single camera formats instead of the cheesy laugh track or studio audience shows.

Personally, these are the shows I hate the most. I hate shows that force me to watch every week. If I can't just turn on the TV and pick a show and understand what is going on and enjoy a self-contained episode without needing to understand several weeks or months of backstory, I'm not going to watch.

That's the reason I don't watch 24, Lost, Invasion (is that even on any more?) or those types of shows.

But then I'm probably the network's worst nightmare viewer. I don't pay attention to times or schedules and when I turn on the TV, I just flip until I find something. I never remember what day or time a show that I watched the previous week, and enjoyed, is on. I'm a spur of the moment viewer.

Which probably explains why I watch so many shows on Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, and History Channel.

BiggerBoat
03-21-2007, 06:13 AM
I really don't watch TV like I used to.

I've been loving Battlestar Galactica, but I just wait for the DVD's (c'mon Season 3).

I tend to watch The Office most weeks. I'll catch an episode of Scrubs now and then. I've been watching the Dresden Files but not really loving it, and it will fall off my schedule soon.

... and that's about it for scripted shows these days.

I started out this season watching Heroes, Studio 60, Jericho, and one other that I can't recall. I figured one of them would make it into rotation. None of them did. Heroes hung on the longest but it just feels like one of those "we'll make it up as we go along" shows (I'm looking at you Lost)

Ardellis
03-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Who saw The Riches last night???? Ooooooooooohhhhh I love it.

Me, too, jennifer75. I think this one has some real potential. Minnie Driver's got a hell of a character there to sink her teeth into. And I just adore Eddie Izzard. Wayne comes off as very solid and human.

ChaosTitan
03-21-2007, 04:38 PM
I've been loving Battlestar Galactica, but I just wait for the DVD's (c'mon Season 3).

We're getting the season finale this Sunday, so soon.... ;)

The Scip
03-21-2007, 04:55 PM
I can't believe no one said the shield.
My top 3:
1. The Shield
2. The Office
3. The Unit

(4. would be 24)

dmytryp
03-21-2007, 07:03 PM
1. Stargate (sg1 and Atlantis, although sg1 had really taken the turn for the worse after O'Neil went away)
2. BSG
3.Shark (love James Woods)

aka eraser
03-21-2007, 08:00 PM
The Colbert Report
The Office
Battlestar Galactica

Honourable mention to My Name Is Earl. Every once in a while it elicits a gut-busting guffaw.

Anonymisty
03-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Dang . . . I watch for hot guys.

:D Me, too! Therefore I'm going with Heroes, Lost and Jericho.

And SG-1.
And Battlestar.
And Dr Who (when it's playing.)
And The Riches (because Eddie Izzard is quite hot in that beard...)

Oh, wait, you said three.

Sorry. ;)

jennifer75
03-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Me, too, jennifer75. I think this one has some real potential. Minnie Driver's got a hell of a character there to sink her teeth into. And I just adore Eddie Izzard. Wayne comes off as very solid and human.

IT'S FANTASTICAL!!! I am such a Minnie fan now. Don't you just totally feel for Wayne? You gotta love him.