• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Preface or Foreword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me wat the difference is, or give me a description of them?

If a fictional/personal note is to appear before a collection of stories, what do I call it?

What I want to show is an essay previously published which gives the reader information about the characters in the stories.

Last edited:

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
A foreword is always written by someone other than the author of the book. It comments on the book, author, or both, and might lend some support by virtue of the foreword-writer's well-known name or influence. (Some authors write a foreword and ask a well-known person to lend his or her name to it. The trick is to write it in the style of the person being asked to take credit for it. Flattering the person you are asking can work.)

A preface is the author's comments by way of background or preliminaries for a reader.

I think that labeling the essay you describe as a preface probably would work. It would not be a foreword.

Fictional/personal note? Not quite sure what that means. Maybe "A Note to the Reader." I'd suggest that you spend some time looking at published books to see what others have done. A few hours in bookstore and library should be helpful here.

If your agent or publisher has a problem with the way you have handled these matters, they will let you know. But best to try to get it right in the first place.

--Ken

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Many thanks, Ken. Preface it is, then, because it sets up certain things for the reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.