Have you seen Music and Lyrics?

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
Love the new forum rearrangement, BTW. Brava!

I forced hubby to see "Music and Lyrics" with me a couple of weeks ago. (He would have picked "Wild Hogs"—no thanks.) He doesn't like Hugh Grant (I'm not a huge fan either, but he's okay) but he likes Drew Barrymore, so he enjoyed it in the end. I really liked it, especially since I'm kind of into songwriting right now. I haven't actually put music and lyrics together yet, at least not in finished form, but the movie was an interesting view into what that entails. Of course, I don't know how accurate a real songwriter would think it was.

I just thought it was very entertaining. And the songs were actually pretty good. The song he had made popular back in the '80s was pure cheese, but still fun. Loved the little motorbike-revving wrist move he had. Hilarious.

Did anyone else see it?

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Well, even I have my limits. Not sure the watching of Hugh Grant films is really acceptable in this day and age.

MDavis

The Brunette She-Ra
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with you Serena, I had a lot of fun with it, and the songs were indeed quite catchy. My co-worker and I have been cheering each other up for weeks with random interjections of "Pop! Goes my heart" :)

Against his will, my boyfriend liked it, too--especially when their argument was a professional one that made sense instead of a Big Misunderstanding that could be easily solved by talking. Romance writers know all about that one ;)

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
Well, even I have my limits. Not sure the watching of Hugh Grant films is really acceptable in this day and age.
:D

I agree, MDavis; it was refreshing for me, too, to see a more intelligent conflict than the one I wrote into my novel...

It didn't seem especially sappy to me, but then my sapometer has been way off lately. My cheesometer still works pretty well, though, and it definitely went off a couple times! :) Then again, sap and cheese are often interchangeable.

Okay, enough rambling. Casey out.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I haven't seen it yet, and the reason is because although I think Hugh Grant is an immensely funny person, most of the movies he's in are movies I'd never see. It's all chick-flicks and romcoms, and I just don't do those.

That being said, it looks hilarious. I'll probably go see it, but right now the top movie in my To See List is "300," which will probably ruin me for any potential cutsey romantic comedies.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I liked it, but don't think my vote carries any weight. Ever since Love Actually, I've been a Grant fan.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I forced hubby to see "Music and Lyrics" with me a couple of weeks ago. (He would have picked "Wild Hogs"—no thanks.)

This is the first I heard of it. Hugh Grant? I'll pass.

The wife and I are going to go see Wild Hogs. Infinately preferable to chick flicks.