Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Hi, all!
I'm going to be speaking on a panel at the Romantic Times Booklovers Convention about website design for both aspiring and published authors. It occurred to me that, really---the reason for a website is to reach READERS. So, I'm wondering what YOU like to see in an author's website when you're thinking like a reader. I hope a few of you won't mind answering a few questions about your preferences. I know there are going to be a million opinions on design and, what one person considers "easy" to use, another person will find difficult.

But I'm planning to speak on the theory that there are a few elements that EVERY author site should contain, that can make or break a happy visit from a fan.

So, which of these elements do you REQUIRE on an author's site in order to visit a second time?

1. In-depth information about the author? (and how in-depth do you like it? The author's hobbies and interests or National Enquirer-style dirt?)
2. The books:
a. Blurbs and covers only?
b. Excerpt to read (is a chapter enough for you to know if you want to buy?)
c. Reviews of the book from sites/reviewers you know?
d. Direct hyperlink to buy somewhere?
e. Do you like ALL the books on one LOOONG page, or go from page to page for more depth?
3. Photo gallery? Signings only with fans and other authors, or at-home candid stuff (their office, pets, etc?)
4. Is a dedicated forum/message board a must or is a guestbook okay?
5. How far in advance do you like to see upcoming book tours or appearances show up on the site?
6. Do you like to play games or puzzles on a site?
7. Are contests to win books/prizes important to you?
8. Is there anything else you like/dislike when you visit a new site (music, "whistles and bells" like tracking cursors with bats or hearts, book trailers (movies about the books), or flashing/moving banner ads?)

Next, how often do you visit an individual author's site if it's a FAVORITE author? Do you visit:

1. Hardly ever. I just like to read. Don't really care about the author's life.
2. Occasionally. Mostly when a new book is due out.
3. Pretty often. I visit favorite author sites every few weeks.
4. Nearly every day. I go to at least one author site a day and always look for new sites.

How about if it's a NEW author you've only just learned about?

1. Do you visit their site to read excerpts to see if you want to buy the book?
2. Does the design or ease of use of the site influence your purchase of their book? Do you EXPECT multiple pages to wander through?
3. Does WHERE their site is matter? For example, if the domain name is the author's name, does that matter to you more than say, if the author has a single page on a community site, like Authors Den?

Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance for anyone who is willing to take the time to answer. :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One comment. I didn't see anything there about a newsletter, which could be tied in with a website.

I don't visit many author's websites, but one of my favorite contemporary writers sends out a quarterly e-mail newsletter. I sometimed enjoy reading it. I believe I signed up for it on his website.

Last edited:

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I quite like blogs.

Honestly, the web-site I point to as best-designed auctorial web-site is Neil Gaiman's. It's relaxed, it's friendly, it's not a sales pitch, it's entertaining all by itself,

Otherwise, I would at least like a site to be clean and concisely designed. I like Peter Straub, but have no end of difficulty navigating his site. Now I'm devout enough to get through it, but if i were just a fan looking for the name of some book by this Straub guy, his web-site would bamboozle and lose me quickly.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I like it when the website gives me the feel that I've stumbled upon the author in his or her natural setting. Like it's not a corporate production. Ursula K. LeGuin's website comes to mind. It's homey. And informative. And really reflects Ursula.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I guess I didn't consider newsletters to be part of a website, so that's useful information.

And favorite/least favorite sites are welcome so I can visit them to look around.

Thanks! Keep 'em coming. :)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I like it when the website gives me the feel that I've stumbled upon the author in his or her natural setting. Like it's not a corporate production. Ursula K. LeGuin's website comes to mind. It's homey. And informative. And really reflects Ursula.

And on the other end of the spectrum is J.K. Rowling's web-site, which is more complicated than...than...really complicated things.

Jennifer L

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlawler.com
My sister loves author websites that look as if they're written by a character in a book. I HATE that conceit but I know she's not the only one who finds it appealing.

For me personally:
1. I don't care that much about the author. Tell me a little about your hobbies and maybe how many dogs you own. If something in your life inspired your book, I often like to know about that (i.e., you're a former FBI agent writing thrillers about FBI agents). But that's about it.

2. Cover and blurbs with a link to the first few pages so I can read it and see if it's up my alley. (Same as I'd do in a bookstore). Reviews are great. Reader reviews are fine, if they're NOT anonymous. I don't need any hyperlinks; I know where to find books. I like a few books presented per page so I don't have to keep hopping from page to page, but not so cluttered that I can't figure out how to navigate the site.

3. A modest author photo is fine. Doing something apt/candid is fine. But I don't really care what the author looks like or how cute the cat is, so photo/photo gallery isn't necessary. I do care if they own a malamute, because anyone who owns a malamute is a WONDERFUL person and they cannot post too many pictures of said malamute, but that is a personal quirk. Also, re: author photos. I had SUCH a hot fantasy going about a certain sci fi author until . . . sometimes it's better to leave these things to our imaginations.

4. I'm not interested in forum/message board/guestbook at all.

5. I don't go to a lot of author events but 2 months' notice is good.

6. No games or puzzles for me.

7. Contests and prizes, eh.

8. I hate sites that take a long time to download or have a lot of graphics or flash etc. I'm just there for the info.

I'll visit a favorite author's website occasionally. When a new book is due or I go, "Hmm, shouldn't a new book be due?" and want to find out.

New author: I may visit the site to see if I'd buy the book. The site itself (i.e., ease of use) wouldn't make me NOT buy the book. I don't expect multiple pages to wander through, but if someone's got an interesting site, the more the merrier. Where the site is doesn't matter to me, except that I often type in "author's name dot com" to see what turns up and I wouldn't necessarily turn up a different host site.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer Lawler

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
George R. R. Martin's is functional and navigable, but ugly as all get out. I don't necessarily like flashy sites -- Stephen King's site is awkward for me, I've already mentioned Rowling's -- but I do like clean and easy on the eyes too.

For examples of good ways NOT to do it, look at some of the amateur web-sites on Freeweb done by authors. If you're using twenty-four-point type, silver, on a gray background and expound on te wonderfulness of your book for three pages......Nuh-uh.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, which of these elements do you REQUIRE on an author's site in order to visit a second time?

1. In-depth information about the author? (and how in-depth do you like it? The author's hobbies and interests or National Enquirer-style dirt?) Call me cold, but I care very little about the author's private life, much less his pastimes. "Lives in Missouri with his wife, their three children, and a guinea pig, and whittles when there's time" is way too much information for me.
2. The books:
a. Blurbs and covers only? Necessary, but insufficient
b. Excerpt to read (is a chapter enough for you to know if you want to buy?) I like 2-3 pp., a teasing taste. A whole chapter's a bit much.
c. Reviews of the book from sites/reviewers you know? I only respect reviews from published, non-biased sources. Susie Creamcheese might be a most insightful reader who writes a kick-ass review, but I tend to assume any favorable review was penned by a friend, spouse, or the author himself unless it's from Publisher's Weekly or something.
d. Direct hyperlink to buy somewhere? Yeah. But not on every page, okay? I get that you'd like me to buy it.
e. Do you like ALL the books on one LOOONG page, or go from page to page for more depth? If the author has six or seven titles, one page is cool, although I don't object to a link for each title that I can click for more information (on a new page) than fit on the one page. When an author's prolific and the page gets really long, I still don't want to see a page per book, but a grouping by series, genre, decade, or any other way that makes sense.
3. Photo gallery? Signings only with fans and other authors, or at-home candid stuff (their office, pets, etc?) One posed photo of the author and maybe one or two candid small ones with fans or other authors. It shrieks both vanity and unprofessionalism to me to see a photo gallery. I don't give a damn how cute your kid or ferret is, or how photogenic you are.
4. Is a dedicated forum/message board a must or is a guestbook okay? Neither one bothers me, but I would never visit either. Unless I happened to know the author, in which case I'll sign a guestbook.
5. How far in advance do you like to see upcoming book tours or appearances show up on the site? As soon as the date's committed, up to a year in advance for a big-name author.
6. Do you like to play games or puzzles on a site? Ugh. No.
7. Are contests to win books/prizes important to you? No, even though I've won a few books and some cash.
8. Is there anything else you like/dislike when you visit a new site (music, "whistles and bells" like tracking cursors with bats or hearts, book trailers (movies about the books), or flashing/moving banner ads?) I hate all of the above. I mean hate. These are the web design features of bright middle-school students. Authors must remember the reader who has a slow connection (dial-up, or faster but shared with their entire dorm) who may be sitting, waiting for several minutes for all this unnecessary crap to load and may not know how to turn off any of it. Music in particular is inappropriate--the site's visitor may be at work, the library, or have a colicky infant asleep at last on her lap--until that damned midi started.

Next, how often do you visit an individual author's site if it's a FAVORITE author? Do you visit:

1. Hardly ever. I just like to read. Don't really care about the author's life. Yup, that's me.
2. Occasionally. Mostly when a new book is due out. Although once in a while this is me.
3. Pretty often. I visit favorite author sites every few weeks. Nope.
4. Nearly every day. I go to at least one author site a day and always look for new sites. Never.

1. Do you visit their site to read excerpts to see if you want to buy the book? I might.
2. Does the design or ease of use of the site influence your purchase of their book? If the site's badly designed, I expect the book to be poor. Yeah, I know the author probably isn't also a web designer on the side, but his or her inability to have someone create a good site speaks of inattention to quality. Do you EXPECT multiple pages to wander through? Alas, I do. That's why I visit author sites so rarely.
3. Does WHERE their site is matter? For example, if the domain name is the author's name, does that matter to you more than say, if the author has a single page on a community site, like Authors Den? I'm an elitist snob, but I expect a legitimately published author to fork over the ten bucks and have a dedicated domain name, the equivalent of MarynBittner.com. I also expect a paid host/server, so the site has no advertising. The sharing of a communal site seems unprofessional, or perhaps simply unaware, to me. Worst of all in terms of professionalism are sites hosted by angelfire, geocities, or AOL.

Maryn, elitist snob, thank you veddy much! :D

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
1. In-depth information about the author? (and how in-depth do you like it? The author's hobbies and interests or National Enquirer-style dirt?) Hobbies and interests are fine. I don't want to know they've been married three times, are in the middle of a divorce, and there's a custody battle going on for the kid. But hearing they live in Michigan, have three dogs, and race ostriches in their free time is a nice personal touch.

2. The books:
a. Blurbs and covers only? This is usually what I base my purchasing decision on.
b. Excerpt to read (is a chapter enough for you to know if you want to buy?) I might read a few pages. I rarely read even an entire chapter, even from an author I already know and like
c. Reviews of the book from sites/reviewers you know? Not at all interested.
d. Direct hyperlink to buy somewhere? Yes. I like for you to make it easy for me to buy. Preferably Amazon or BN.com. You don't have to make every single mention of your books link, though.
e. Do you like ALL the books on one LOOONG page, or go from page to page for more depth? I prefer a page per book.

3. Photo gallery? Signings only with fans and other authors, or at-home candid stuff (their office, pets, etc?) I usually look at them, but probably not more than about a dozen pictures.

4. Is a dedicated forum/message board a must or is a guestbook okay? I don't like guestbooks at all. I like message boards a lot, but I don't think they're actually required. I love blogs, though. That's one of my favorite features of personal websites.

5. How far in advance do you like to see upcoming book tours or appearances show up on the site? Couple months.
6. Do you like to play games or puzzles on a site? Not a bit.
7. Are contests to win books/prizes important to you? No
8. Is there anything else you like/dislike when you visit a new site (music, "whistles and bells" like tracking cursors with bats or hearts, book trailers (movies about the books), or flashing/moving banner ads?) Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will make me close down a website faster than music, tracking cursors, or flashing/moving banner ads (though I have FireFox with AdBlock, so I'm not likely to even see the latter.)

1. Do you visit their site to read excerpts to see if you want to buy the book? Sometimes.
2. Does the design or ease of use of the site influence your purchase of their book? Do you EXPECT multiple pages to wander through? Yes and yes.
3. Does WHERE their site is matter? For example, if the domain name is the author's name, does that matter to you more than say, if the author has a single page on a community site, like Authors Den? It does reflect on the author if they use a free site, and not well. I expect the author to have their own domain name.

I also like to see a list of books they like (like a currently reading list) or that help them in their research.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com

1. In-depth information about the author? (and how in-depth do you like it? The author's hobbies and interests or National Enquirer-style dirt?)

If I've read the in-depth info once, I won't bother reading it again on a second visit. Not unless there was something particularly amusing that I'd like to relive.

2. The books:
a. Blurbs and covers only? Definitely need both.
b. Excerpt to read (is a chapter enough for you to know if you want to buy?) Generally I visit an author's site after I've read the book, so an excerpt wouldn't be helpful.
c. Reviews of the book from sites/reviewers you know? I do read reviews, though, even after I've finished the book. I'm curious to know what others think.
d. Direct hyperlink to buy somewhere? Makes no difference, because I either own the book, or would find other books by that author on my own.
e. Do you like ALL the books on one LOOONG page, or go from page to page for more depth? Page to Page.

3. Photo gallery? Signings only with fans and other authors, or at-home candid stuff (their office, pets, etc?) Not important to me.

4. Is a dedicated forum/message board a must or is a guestbook okay? I think a guest book is fine, but if I really like the author, I will add their blog to my favorites (if they have one).

5. How far in advance do you like to see upcoming book tours or appearances show up on the site? At least a few weeks, because I won't check an author's site every single week. If they post two days before the signing, I'm likely to miss the info (whether the author is nearby or not).

6. Do you like to play games or puzzles on a site? Rarely. Sometimes, though, I can't resist trivia.

7. Are contests to win books/prizes important to you? I rarely enter to win, but it does tell me that the author thinks about their fans and likes to support those who support him/her. It's a good sign.

8. Is there anything else you like/dislike when you visit a new site (music, "whistles and bells" like tracking cursors with bats or hearts, book trailers (movies about the books), or flashing/moving banner ads?) I hate music and funky cursors. When I browse online, I am often listening to my own music. Website music annoys me beyond words. Flashy, graphic heavy sites give me a headache, and often I will pass them by.

I'm somewhere between two and three. I check when I remember, which can be anywhere from two weeks to two months.

1. Do you visit their site to read excerpts to see if you want to buy the book? If I don't already own the book, yes, I would want to check out an excerpt. Just to test out their style, see if it's something I'd like.

2. Does the design or ease of use of the site influence your purchase of their book? Do you EXPECT multiple pages to wander through? No, it's about the book, not the website.

3. Does WHERE their site is matter? For example, if the domain name is the author's name, does that matter to you more than say, if the author has a single page on a community site, like Authors Den? If it's a community site, I will pause and wonder. I may check them out a little further (for example, to see if they are self published, POD, micro press, big press). Yes, I admit it seems snobby, but I think that personal domains are more professional for published authors.

Good luck with the speaking engagement, Cathy!

Rosamund

Registered
Reaction score
Which of these elements do you REQUIRE on an author's site in order to visit a second time?

I'm fairly neutral on this one. If it's there, I like to know how old they are, their marital status (if they want to share this), if they have any kids (again, if they want to share this), their hobbies, what they like to do in their spare time, and anything they are particularly passionate about, BUT (and it's a big but), I'm also perfectly happy to get none of this information. I want it because I'm curious about people, not because I like stalking authors.

2. The books:
e. Do you like ALL the books on one LOOONG page, or go from page to page for more depth?
None of the above. I like a list of all the books they have written, with the publisher and date of publication next to the name of the book. That's all I need. If I want to read the book, I'll check it out from my local library. If I want to buy it, I'll order it from my local bookstore. The author can add in a short (one paragraph) description of the story if he/she wishes, but it's not necessary.

3. Photo gallery? Signings only with fans and other authors, or at-home candid stuff (their office, pets, etc?)
No, thank you. An photo of the author is all that I need to see, and even that isn't necessary.

I don't care if the site has none of these.

5. How far in advance do you like to see upcoming book tours or appearances show up on the site?
One to two months. Any earlier, and I forget. :) Any later, and I may not be able to arrange to attend (if I so desire).

Oh, yes. Definitely. I love games and puzzles.

No.

8. Is there anything else you like/dislike when you visit a new site (music, "whistles and bells" like tracking cursors with bats or hearts, book trailers (movies about the books), or flashing/moving banner ads?)
I dislike all of the above. I like a simple, clean site with limited graphics so it loads as quickly as possible. I prefer all the book covers to be on a separate page, so I can decide whether I want to see them or not.

4. Nearly every day. I go to at least one author site a day and always look for new sites.

Occasionally. When I think about it, I'll wander over and see what is happening. I'd be more interested in visiting an author's blog, or a news-group if the author belongs to it and posts.

2. Does the design or ease of use of the site influence your purchase of their book? Do you EXPECT multiple pages to wander through?
3. Does WHERE their site is matter? For example, if the domain name is the author's name, does that matter to you more than say, if the author has a single page on a community site, like Authors Den?

If it's a new author, I'll check out their books from the library and see of I like them. If I do, then (and only then) I will google to see if he/she has a website up. I'm mainly after the list of books the author has written at this stage. I prefer domain names that reflect the series or the author's name, as I find those easier to remember, but I won't be turned off if the web-site is part of another site. At this stage I'm just after that list of books, remember. :)

What I'm mainly looking for when I visit an author's site is how he/she is treating his/her readers. I'm asking questions like: Is the site easy to use? Does the author appear friendly? Is he/she interested in communicating with his/her readers, or is the site just one big advertisement for the books? Can I pick up any interesting snippets of information about the stories and characters in the books from the site?

Being a friendly author won't make me buy your books originally, but it will make me far more inclined to go on buying your books if I come across one (or two) that I think are below your usual standard. I will also be far, far more inclined to talk about you to my friends and to urge them to try your books.

I hope this helps, and good luck with the presentation!

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1. In-depth information about the author? (and how in-depth do you like it? The author's hobbies and interests or National Enquirer-style dirt?) :rant:
2. The books:
a. Blurbs and covers only? :)
b. Excerpt to read (is a chapter enough for you to know if you want to buy?) :)
c. Reviews of the book from sites/reviewers you know?:)
d. Direct hyperlink to buy somewhere?:)
e. Do you like ALL the books on one LOOONG page, or go from page to page for more depth?:Soapbox:
3. Photo gallery? Signings only with fans and other authors, or at-home candid stuff (their office, pets, etc?):Soapbox:
4. Is a dedicated forum/message board a must or is a guestbook okay?:popcorn:
5. How far in advance do you like to see upcoming book tours or appearances show up on the site? :Shrug:
6. Do you like to play games or puzzles on a site?:rant:
7. Are contests to win books/prizes important to you?:scared:
8. Is there anything else you like/dislike when you visit a new site (music, "whistles and bells" like tracking cursors with bats or hearts, book trailers (movies about the books), or flashing/moving banner ads?):box:

1. Hardly ever. I just like to read. Don't really care about the author's life.:snoopy:

1. Do you visit their site to read excerpts to see if you want to buy the book?:snoopy:
2. Does the design or ease of use of the site influence your purchase of their book? Do you EXPECT multiple pages to wander through?:Soapbox:

[/quote]

:D

Mae

this is me - is that you?
Registered
Reaction score

Exactly!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I hardly ever go to author's websites. I didn't even know Stephen King had one.

But when I do I go for simple biographical info, like when they were born, where they live, if they're married and have children. I like to see a photo or two of them.

And I go to see what books they've written and hopefully that info is in chronological order, because I like to read books from the first to the most current.

And finally, I like to know if they are on any book signing tours or going to be at conventions, so a schedule of events is nice.

Everything else is fluff. I don't care about their blogs, or their forums, or any of that other stuff. But I also don't view myself as a typical fan.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score

I like to learn the basics, & the little things they think are important about themselves, but it's mostly about the books. Confessionals make me click away unless they're the "real backstory" for a book I love.

2. The books:
a. Blurbs and covers only? This is usually all I look at. Maybe a paragraph or two from the first page, but no more than that.

c. Reviews of the book from sites/reviewers you know? Nope, I usually go with my gut.

d. Direct hyperlink to buy somewhere? No, I shop at indie BM stores unless it's something rare/hard to find.

e. Do you like ALL the books on one LOOONG page, or go from page to page for more depth? I only use a dial-up, so however they can arrange it to load the fastest.

3. Photo gallery? Signings only with fans and other authors, or at-home candid stuff (their office, pets, etc?) All of this is cool, as long as it doesn't take too long to load.

4. Is a dedicated forum/message board a must or is a guestbook okay? I don't go to those pages at all. If I want to tell an author how much I love their book, I'll send an e-mail or a letter.

5. How far in advance do you like to see upcoming book tours or appearances show up on the site? Depends -- if I'll have to get time off work to get there or buy tickets, the earlier the better. A quarterly schedule would be great, if possible.

6. Do you like to play games or puzzles on a site? No.

7. Are contests to win books/prizes important to you? No.

8. Is there anything else you like/dislike when you visit a new site (music, "whistles and bells" like tracking cursors with bats or hearts, book trailers (movies about the books), or flashing/moving banner ads?) I hate it when music plays as soon as the site loads, and I have to turn it off. If they want to have music, let me decide whether to turn it on (I usually will -- music says a lot about someone, but it's annoying when theirs plays over mine).

A couple of authors I like send monthly or quarterly newsletters. When I get one of those, I usually hit their site to see what's new, or read things I haven't gotten around to yet. Two author sites I like are Karen Brichoux's and Jennie Shortridge's.

1. Do you visit their site to read excerpts to see if you want to buy the book? I usually only visit their site after I've read/liked their book, but if I stumble across an author & s/he sounds interesting while I'm online, I might check out their web site first.

2. Does the design or ease of use of the site influence your purchase of their book? Do you EXPECT multiple pages to wander through? No to the first part, and yes to the second.

3. Does WHERE their site is matter? For example, if the domain name is the author's name, does that matter to you more than say, if the author has a single page on a community site, like Authors Den? Not really. It's their book that matters.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I don't go to authors' sites much at all, but when I do, I like to be able to find books, with excerpts, and links to buy them, I like blogs/LJs/newsletters.

I dislike flashing banner ads (hard on the eyes), music (I play music on my computer while surfing and really get annoyed when tunes start competing with one another), and cutesy stuff. I don't mind movie trailers as long as they don't play automatically. Give me the choice of when and if to download and view them.

However, all the above said, I don't mind when the author gets a little creative, provided they keep the site navigable and usable. Robin Hobb's site is a good example of creative-usability to me.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I didn't consider blogs as part of an overall site, so that's interesting. Someone else on another site (yeah, this is posted up on several forums) mentioned links to the AUTHOR'S favorite sites or "for more information" links, and one person WISHED there was a rating scale for books on authors' sites that was similar to movie ratings (G, PG, R, X) because they embarrass easily.
icon_redface.gif
Any thoughts on those?

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I'd never been to her site before. How cool. I'm totally going to do that with random pictures from around my home.

LilaDubois

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.liladubois.com
I do like in dept information. If i have gone to the trouble of finding their site I do want some juicy details in there.
2. The books:
Excerpts are a must
doesn't really matter
yes AND a printable 'backlist' sheet that i could take to the bookstore.
I like one page showing all the covers that link to their own pages.
These are fun but not a major issue for me.
It depends. If the author is going to maintain the board, be on it and make it interesting, then that is one thing.
As soon as they are acheduled.
no.
YES. Especially ARCs

1. Do you visit their site to read excerpts to see if you want to buy the book? Yes
2. Does the design or ease of use of the site influence your purchase of their book? Do you EXPECT multiple pages to wander through? Yes
3. Does WHERE their site is matter? For example, if the domain name is the author's name, does that matter to you more than say, if the author has a single page on a community site, like Authors Den? I think it speaks to the legitimacy of the author. If it is the first book in a new series i want to feel that the author is really going to put a lot into it, as reflected by their website, as so I, as a reader, should get invested too.

Edita A Petrick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editapetrick.biz

Not required
2. The books:
Both of these are interesting to have
Not required
Useful
Page-to-page
No.
Don't like guestbooks.Message board rather than forum
Not at all
NO
Not really
I absolutely detest LOUD noises - whether startling or cute. Hate any pointers and tracking cursors that are SOFT or jiggle. Hate cutsey bats, harts and such. ABHORE flashing and moving banners and ads and trailers.
I like things that SIT SOLID and are VISIBLE - no horrible yellow script on ochre background that strains the eyes like nothing else...or worse, WHITE print on page that's gray-almost-white background...or black-on-black...idiotic at best

This would be my case

YEP
Often accounts for 50% of decision.
Sites like Authors Den are okay for starting out but once the author is established I expect a solid, pro-designed website.

Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance for anyone who is willing to take the time to answer. :D
My pleasure....good luck.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
When it comes to the books, I definitely want to see a complete bibliography, with the years of first publication, and series clearly identified so I know what order to read them in.

Really, that's the only reason I visit an author's website, to get that kind of information. I do appreciate a good excerpt while I'm there. Two or three chapters is not too much to my way of thinking. At that point, I'm so hooked I go out and buy the darn book...

I do check out a few authors' blogs on a regular basis. I am most interested in those that will actually discuss the craft of writing, for obvious reasons.

Anything else is optional. Music and anything that flashes is a very good way to get me to leave ASAP. I loathe that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.